• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Travel |OT| One does simply not visit just once

Dingens

So I bought a round trip NEX ticket and my return ticket says "Valid for an ordinary reserved seat on one Narita Express". How do I select my seats? It says to look at guidance but I dont see any other instructions on the ticket.

If I remember correctly you have to make a reservation using one of the ticket machines in a JR train station. the whole process is straight forward though

Anony

do you think it's possible to get tickets to ghibli museum when we get there?
so right away, on the day i land, on the 23/24, go to a lawsons, and buy a ticket for oct 5/6/7 or something?

Dartastic

Any Gamba Osaka fans here? I'm thinking of traveling from Kyoto to see the game tomorrow, and I'm visiting from the USA. It'd be fun to get some drinks and see the game with a fan.

Isn't it just a voucher for a ticket? Just show it and ask for a reservation at the ticket office when you're gonna use it I guess.

If I remember correctly you have to make a reservation using one of the ticket machines in a JR train station. the whole process is straight forward though

Found out you have to use the express ticket machine (or go to a ticket office but thats no fun) and then select "Discount reserve tickets" in order to select your seats. I tried every machine available until I got the right one lol

do you think it's possible to get tickets to ghibli museum when we get there?
so right away, on the day i land, on the 23/24, go to a lawsons, and buy a ticket for oct 5/6/7 or something?

Will be 99% chance of tickets being sold out :p

Try getting English tickets from the online site at 10:00 JST on Sunday:
https://l-tike.com/st1/ghibli-en/

Found out you have to use the express ticket machine (or go to a ticket office but thats no fun) and then select "Discount reserve tickets" in order to select your seats. I tried every machine available until I got the right one lol

Aha. I usually take the cheaper trains or stay for too long so I can't use the discount on the NEX :p

Zatoth

I wanted to climb Fuji on this trip but I assumed the season was over. I'm surprised it's still this busy. I cant imagine what its like during July :(

How was the trek up and down? Any tips for lodging, pacing, gear, etc.?

Trek was not too bad. Saying that as someone who is not in top shape. Friend who accompanied me is in even worse shape and managed it. But he was close to his limits, I think.

I stayed at a mountain hut. But would not recommend it. Almost got no sleep there. Too little space and everytime the person next to you moves, you will feel it. Should I ever do again (which I highly doubt), I would walk during the night and plan to reach the summit in time for the sunrise. Adding some extra stops along the way.

As for gear. I would recommend getting mid or high cut hiking boots and/or gaiters. Especially the way down has a lot of small stones and dust. Don't want that in your boots. On your climb up you can buy waters/snacks along the way. Not cheap, but if you don’t want to pack to heavy you can skip on water and buy bottles while you climb up.

The way down does not have any shops. So be sure to have enough water for it.

I used the Yoshido trail. Can’t comment on the others ones.

Anony

Will be 99% chance of tickets being sold out :p

Try getting English tickets from the online site at 10:00 JST on Sunday:
https://l-tike.com/st1/ghibli-en/

sold out already, damn

have any of you been to TGS? if so, do you think it's worth checking out. I land on 23, i dont think i can make it on saturday, but i can try on sunday.
I love videogames and all, but i dont want to waste entire day standing in lines and shit
having said that, i doubt i'll have another opportunity like this and i doubt i'll ever visit e3

my next question/advice
i'm going to osaka from sept 27 to oct 3, should I make a pit stop inbetween tokyo and osaka?
I want to do this, but i dont know if i should should do a 1 nighter somewhere (driving up costs) or just make it a day thing and be at osaka by nighttime
problem with this is I would have to wheel around my luggage for the entire day

sold out already, damn

have any of you been to TGS? if so, do you think it's worth checking out. I land on 23, i dont think i can make it on saturday, but i can try on sunday.
I love videogames and all, but i dont want to waste entire day standing in lines and shit
having said that, i doubt i'll have another opportunity like this and i doubt i'll ever visit e3

my next question/advice
i'm going to osaka from sept 27 to oct 3, should I make a pit stop inbetween tokyo and osaka?
I want to do this, but i dont know if i should should do a 1 nighter somewhere (driving up costs) or just make it a day thing and be at osaka by nighttime
problem with this is I would have to wheel around my luggage for the entire day

And overnight in Kyoto would be worth it.

kubus

sold out already, damn

Try again around the 13th. Everyone that reserved tickets on the website with conbini pay method has to go a convenience store to pay for them within 3 days to get their tickets. Naturally what happens is that people forget about it (I almost did) and their reservation gets cancelled.

Anyone who reserved their tickets on the 10th has until the 12th 23:00 (JST) to complete their payment, so that's around the time you want to refresh the site again. Though some sites report that cancelled tickets only show up on the website again the next day (so the 13th) around 07:00 - 09:00 AM JST.

If you really want to go, that's your only shot. It might be worth a try!

About TGS: I'm going for the first time this year, but on business days. Everyone I've spoken with that went to TGS says that it isn't worth your time if you can only go on public days. Not unless you want to line up for hours to play something :/

sold out already, damn

Gotta be there the minute they go up :p

Well... You can get some free swag, buy other swag and take pics of cosplayers like I did when I went last year... Oh, and look at the loooooong lines of course. :p

Try again around the 13th. Everyone that reserved tickets on the website with conbini pay method has to go a convenience store to pay for them within 3 days to get their tickets. Naturally what happens is that people forget about it (I almost did) and their reservation gets cancelled.

The English site tickets are credit card payment only, so they don't get canceled. They're different from the Japanese site tickets.

Dingens

[...]
having said that, i doubt i'll have another opportunity like this and i doubt i'll ever visit e3[...]

I went there twice in 2014 and 2015.
2014 was more enjoyable in my opinion since it was comparatively empty. Actually I got to try/play a lot of things with almost no waiting time (granted I'm mostly into smaller 3ds games).
in 2015 I waited like 1 1/2 hours just to play Monster Hunter Stories....
in 2015 they appaerently introduced some sort of pre-sign-up system where you could reserve a spot at a specific time which made it MUCH harder to just walk up to a game and try it. Something like that only existed for big games in 2014....
Long story short, your mileage may very... you could have a good time, or you could waste a lot of time.
If I had the chance, I'd probably go again since even though I didn't get to try a lot last time, it was still a somewhat fun experience (except for the train ride)

Anony

And overnight in Kyoto would be worth it.

i'll be going to kyoto via osaka on the JR for probably 2 of the days, it's only like an hour away

regarding the line ups, the line ups only if you want to play a game then?
i'd be okay with just walking around, looking around, and taking pictures

thanks for the heads up about the cancellation of the ghibli tickets, i dont think i'll have time to do that, but i'll try
i've ask my airbnb host to see if she can buy the tickets for me, hoping

I did TGS in 2015 and it sucked. There's way too many people. You're going to have to wait hours to try any demos and the crowds are so dense that there will be times that you are carried by the masses in directions you weren't planning on going. It's also the only place in Japan that my wife fell victim to a chikan. If I were to go again, I would hit up the merch area and leave. I wouldn't bother at all with the show itself.

regarding the line ups, the line ups only if you want to play a game then?
i'd be okay with just walking around, looking around, and taking pictures

Well, there's lines to get in as well, but they're mostly there in the morning and it was less bad on Sunday.

There can be lines at the merch booths and to take pics of certain cosplayers as well.

Finally back and reflecting on my trip and man I had such a great time! It lived up to all the lofty expectations I had and then some. I met some amazingly friendly people, ate some delicious food and saw some awesome sights. Definitely need to make visiting Japan an annual thing, if only for just the 7-Elevens.

I also wanted to buy every stationary item at Shibuya Loft. Everything is so damn cute there! I rarely buy stuff during my travels but my suitcase was stuffed with gifts and stuff.

Thanks for everyone's help! My next trip should be even better now that I'm more familiar with things.

Trek was not too bad. Saying that as someone who is not in top shape. Friend who accompanied me is in even worse shape and managed it. But he was close to his limits, I think.

I stayed at a mountain hut. But would not recommend it. Almost got no sleep there. Too little space and everytime the person next to you moves, you will feel it. Should I ever do again (which I highly doubt), I would walk during the night and plan to reach the summit in time for the sunrise. Adding some extra stops along the way.

As for gear. I would recommend getting mid or high cut hiking boots and/or gaiters. Especially the way down has a lot of small stones and dust. Don't want that in your boots. On your climb up you can buy waters/snacks along the way. Not cheap, but if you don't want to pack to heavy you can skip on water and buy bottles while you climb up.

The way down does not have any shops. So be sure to have enough water for it.

I used the Yoshido trail. Can't comment on the others ones.

Can you summit and descend in one day? Or would you need to stop at the huts at least once to get some sleep? I dont think you can just camp out in the trails right? I always hear the huts are overpacked and that has me a little worried.

Did you bring a jacket? I'm sure it was chilly at the top but should I pack a legit jacket or just a hoodie and a windbreaker?

Thanks for the tips! I want to try this next year.

Aha. I usually take the cheaper trains or stay for too long so I can't use the discount on the NEX :p

Whaaaat, I thought you were a local! You know, like, so much lol.

Funny enough, I went to Shinjuku Gyoen on a rainy day last week and it made me think of "Garden of Words". So I went on Google to look up the locations featured in the movie and your site was the top result :p

Whaaaat, I thought you were a local! You know, like, so much lol.

Funny enough, I went to Shinjuku Gyoen on a rainy day last week and it made me think of "Garden of Words". So I went on Google to look up the locations featured in the movie and your site was the top result :p

Hey! >_>

Anony

since i have 7 day JR pass, going from sept 27 - oct 3 counts at full 7 days right?
what if i activate it at 6pm on the 27? would that carry over to oct 4, 6pm?

Anony

ya, that simplifies things alot, but worse on the consumer.

I got my airbnb set up for asakusa and osaka
I need 1 more airbnb for my return to tokyo before leaving
any recommendations to a good area to stay?

zoukka

Just leaving for Tokyo, a bit nervous about those NK missiles lol. For a busy business traveller what are the must have spots inside and around Tokyo? Any good spas or underground clubs for example?

Also I love JoJo.

Did the Shinjuku VR Zone yesterday and enjoyed it, but it was a lot of "cool" demos that only lasted a couple minutes at most.

Today, I did the Sega VR Area Akihabara that is on the 6th floor of one of the Sega arcades. At only 1500¥ it's only slightly more expensive than one attraction at Shinjuku, but it was WAAAAAAYYYYY cooler. You're given a gun and a laptop on a backpack and you actually walk around a space station thing shooting stuff.

That said, the Shinjuku VR Zone is supposed to have some sort of 4v4 Ghost in the Shell thing with a similar disconnected backpack thing that would probably be pretty awesome.

Here's the website for the Sega place, but very little actual info about itm

https://tempo.sega.jp/tnsb/vr

Loci

Guys, what about the typhoon?
I'm playing to fly to Fukuoka from Seoul tomorrow, Saturday afternoon.
Will I arrive at my hotel before the rain and wind hits the area?
Or should I just cancel the whole trip? Was supposed to stay from Sat to Tuesday.
:S

Loci

Well, will I actually be able to walk around outside? The typhoon will lose force after hitting mainland but I don't wanna walk around in the rain with strong winds for two days.
It's kinda hard to get information on english websites about the weather conditions.
Yours said there will be rainstorms.... which sounds terrible for a vacation obviously.

Dartastic

Can anyone fluent in Japanese help me? I'm 99 percent confident that there's a FC Tokyo game tonight at ajinomoto stadium and there are still tickets available, but I want to be 100 percent sure before making the journey out there tonight. The only way to buy tickets online in English seems to be through stubhub and they aren't showing up. Thank you!

http://www.fctokyo.co.jp/

Anony

Which airport you leaving from?

narita
friends will be staying near ikeburkuro station
i could get a place near them, but i dont mind going to another area

if i want to just straight up hang in the akihabara area for the last few days, what convenient areas (that's not asakusa) is there

kubus

Can anyone fluent in Japanese help me? I'm 99 percent confident that there's a FC Tokyo game tonight at ajinomoto stadium and there are still tickets available, but I want to be 100 percent sure before making the journey out there tonight. The only way to buy tickets online in English seems to be through stubhub and they aren't showing up. Thank you!

http://www.fctokyo.co.jp/
Yeah, seems like there's tons of tickets available still. Go to this link:

https://l-tike.com/st1/dt1im968jnecv1r583bb/sitetop

You choose here what kind of ticket you want (top is "Ticket FC Tokyo", bottom is "Tokyo Nishikawa Seat t", whatever that means). If you go for the top option you can choose what kind of seat you want and the rest is pretty self-explanatory. You need to register an account and then select the payment method. Didn't go that far myself but it looks like you can select Conbini payment, which means you just go to a Mini Stop (maybe Lawson too but you have to check), go to the machine there, input your order nummer, and then pay there.

You can also just go to Lawson or any of the conbini listed here, follow the instructions (GOogle translate should do, or just ask the staff to help you while showing this page on your phone or something) and then you can just get the ticket at a conbini!

Otherwise I'm sure you could buy at the door too :).

Thanks for the reminder btw, I live pretty much next to the stadium and sometimes make the mistake to head out in that direction to eat when there's a game and I can't get a seat anywhere :p.

Dartastic

Yeah, seems like there's tons of tickets available still. Go to this link:

https://l-tike.com/st1/dt1im968jnecv1r583bb/sitetop

You choose here what kind of ticket you want (top is "Ticket FC Tokyo", bottom is "Tokyo Nishikawa Seat t", whatever that means). If you go for the top option you can choose what kind of seat you want and the rest is pretty self-explanatory. You need to register an account and then select the payment method. Didn't go that far myself but it looks like you can select Conbini payment, which means you just go to a Mini Stop (maybe Lawson too but you have to check), go to the machine there, input your order nummer, and then pay there.

You can also just go to Lawson or any of the conbini listed here, follow the instructions (GOogle translate should do, or just ask the staff to help you while showing this page on your phone or something) and then you can just get the ticket at a conbini!

Otherwise I'm sure you could buy at the door too :).

Thanks for the reminder btw, I live pretty much next to the stadium and sometimes make the mistake to head out in that direction to eat when there's a game and I can't get a seat anywhere :p.
Thank you so much! I'll just buy one when I get there then and maybe hit up a bar in the area. Or maybe just go to a Lawson since they're everywhere. Do you happen to know which area is the supporters section? I'm kinda in a jumping and chanting mood today. :p

Well, will I actually be able to walk around outside? The typhoon will lose force after hitting mainland but I don't wanna walk around in the rain with strong winds for two days.
It's kinda hard to get information on english websites about the weather conditions.
Yours said there will be rainstorms.... which sounds terrible for a vacation obviously.

I wouldn't recommend running around d outside during a typhoon. Only thing that would be open like convince stores most likely. Especially this one seems strong, best to hunker down and hope it passes quick. Hopefully your here more than a day

Thank you so much! I'll just buy one when I get there then and maybe hit up a bar in the area. Or maybe just go to a Lawson since they're everywhere. Do you happen to know which area is the supporters section? I'm kinda in a jumping and chanting mood today. :p

Yeah, Lawson would kind of be the easiest option. I've done it for baseball games and concerts before. The code on the website is 39123, you put that in to the Loppi machine and it'll take you to the correct events rather than trying to search through the menus.

kubus

Noticed now that the online ticket sales page changed to "Few remaining", so if you want to be 100% sure you get in, you might wanna go to a Lawson and get the ticket in advance. I have no idea how fast these things go on the day of the game itself.

16.%E5%91%B3%E3%82%B9%E3%82%BF-%E6%A8%AA%E6%96%AD%E5%B9%95%E6%8C%87%E5%AE%9A112-2%E4%BF%AE%E6%AD%A3%E6%9B%B4%E6%96%B0%E6%B8%88%E3%81%BF-1024x805.jpg

So this is the seating plan. Blue = FC Tokyo, red = away team (that's how you say it right? :p). I googled around a bit for you and I think the ticket that you want to get is ホーム自由席 (Home Jiyuu Seki). That will give you access to all the areas marked ホーム自由席 on this image (which is basically everywhere blue). The only exception is the ホームセンター自由席 (Home Center Jiyuu Seki) seats, which is the very small area directly under the letters "SB" on the image.

The area right behind the left goal, marked as "SG" is a standing area. Apparently this is where the most passionate supporters will gather, with taiko drums and stuff. I'm not sure how much you can move around once you're in the stadium, but since almost everything is covered under the ホーム自由席, you might as well get that ticket and then see where you wanna sit. The 上層 and 下層 you see on the bottom left of the pic mean "Upper" and "Lower" seats respectively.

Hope that helps!

Dartastic

Yeah, Lawson would kind of be the easiest option. I've done it for baseball games and concerts before. The code on the website is 39123, you put that in to the Loppi machine and it'll take you to the correct events rather than trying to search through the menus.

Noticed now that the online ticket sales page changed to "Few remaining", so if you want to be 100% sure you get in, you might wanna go to a Lawson and get the ticket in advance. I have no idea how fast these things go on the day of the game itself.

16.%E5%91%B3%E3%82%B9%E3%82%BF-%E6%A8%AA%E6%96%AD%E5%B9%95%E6%8C%87%E5%AE%9A112-2%E4%BF%AE%E6%AD%A3%E6%9B%B4%E6%96%B0%E6%B8%88%E3%81%BF-1024x805.jpg

So this is the seating plan. Blue = FC Tokyo, red = away team (that's how you say it right? :p). I googled around a bit for you and I think the ticket that you want to get is ホーム自由席 (Home Jiyuu Seki). That will give you access to all the areas marked ホーム自由席 on this image (which is basically everywhere blue). The only exception is the ホームセンター自由席 (Home Center Jiyuu Seki) seats, which is the very small area directly under the letters "SB" on the image.

The area right behind the left goal, marked as "SG" is a standing area. Apparently this is where the most passionate supporters will gather, with taiko drums and stuff. I'm not sure how much you can move around once you're in the stadium, but since almost everything is covered under the ホーム自由席, you might as well get that ticket and then see where you wanna sit. The 上層 and 下層 you see on the bottom left of the pic mean "Upper" and "Lower" seats respectively.

Hope that helps!
Due to your assistance and notification that tickets are selling out I got my ticket through a Lawson! Thank you so much for the Kanji as well, it helped me navigate through the machine. I really appreciate the assist. :)

Now time to find replacement headphone tips and arcade stick parts in akihabara. :)

narita
friends will be staying near ikeburkuro station
i could get a place near them, but i dont mind going to another area

if i want to just straight up hang in the akihabara area for the last few days, what convenient areas (that's not asakusa) is there

Well, you could just stay in one of the hotels in Akihabara, or one of the business hotels near Ochanomizu. Asakusa is probably the best though...

Ikebukuro is like only 20min away from Akihabara with the Yamanote-Line. Not sure what being closer to Akiba would add anything.

(also night live, though that's not that relevant I guess)

exhume

Hello again Japan Travel GAF! I have impulse bought flights to Tokyo in mid-May 2018 :D
Just wondering how far in advance I should look at booking an airbnb?
What kind of weather should I plan for?
Are there any events that will be on during this time?
And I'm considering a night or two on the Izu peninsula, anyone been there before and have anything to recommend/not recommend?

Cheers you legends!

Zatoth

Standing in a line at the VR Zone atm. 120mins for EVA and Mario Kart. What is even the point of the advanced tickets? ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Hello again Japan Travel GAF! I have impulse bought flights to Tokyo in mid-May 2018 :D
Are there any events that will be on during this time?
And I'm considering a night or two on the Izu peninsula, anyone been there before and have anything to recommend/not recommend?

Cheers you legends!

Keep in mind that AirBNB withdraws money from your account immediately whereas a normal hotel will only charge you when you arrive. If you don't mind giving them an interest free loan in the meantime get one as soon as you see one you like. Otherwise, I would wait until a closer date or use a normal hotel.

I'm planning a trip this winter, I'm arriving on 1/1, staying for two weeks. Strange timing maybe, but arriving in time for new year's eve is a couple hundred dollars more and I don't want to pay that just to party for a night jetlagged as hell. Maybe someone here could convince me otherwise but I'm not too keen on it. Other than that it's really not more expensive than other times of year from what I've been reading in this thread. As a student it's the only time I can really go, and from what I've read winter is the time that I would enjoy the most. I have a few questions though. And probably will have more later.

Anyways, I was wondering, kids will be out of school until the 5th I think. I'm guessing that whatever I do will be worse because of the families of locals with kids will be visiting landmarks like shopping places and shrines, since I generally like peace and being alone. I have the decision to "do" either Tokyo or Kyoto for the first five or so days, so my question is, which city would be better to visit during that time? My intention is to explore the city in Tokyo and in Kyoto visit shrines, Nara, and possibly hike and explore nature more. In Tokyo will I have to deal with a lot of places being closed, or in Kyoto will shrines etc be closed? Seems like a tradeoff, so I'm
looking for someone's experienced opinion. どうしよう

Also I'm taking some advice from the first or second page of this thread and hoping to find a round trip flight to Sapporo for under $100 and spending a few days hitting some winterscapes in Hokkaido, I'm a little skeptical that this flight exists (I haven't looked and don't really know where to look), otherwise I will be sitting on the shinkansen for a long time going up there. Any advice regarding this?

Last, I'm a fan of a bunch of different styles of music like jazz, electronic, rock and otherwise weird experimental shit, a lot of which Tokyo is home to, and that be great if I could experience some in Tokyo. I'm interested in both landmarks and live music venues. Even if it's an act I'd never seen before, anyone know where I might catch something unique or underground?

Thank you if you read any of my questions.

Just check a few times and see if you find anything good. Some of the better places might be booked up fast.

Shorts weather most likely :p

Also I'm taking some advice from the first or second page of this thread and hoping to find a round trip flight to Sapporo for under $100 and spending a few days hitting some winterscapes in Hokkaido, I'm a little skeptical that this flight exists (I haven't looked and don't really know where to look), otherwise I will be sitting on the shinkansen for a long time going up there. Any advice regarding this?

Check these airlines for the cheapest tickets:
http://www.jetstar.com/jp/en/home
http://www.skymark.jp/en/

The or you can get tickets with JAL or ANA for 10800 JPY one way:
http://www.world.jal.com/world/en/japan_explorer_pass/ar/
http://www.ana.co.jp/wws/ph/e/wws_common/promotions/share/experience_jp/

But talking about goods. What is the best place for getting old cells in Tokyo & Osaka, Mike?

Nakano Broadway on the 4th floor. Both the Mandarake cel shop and the other nearby cel shop. Check the Mandarake in Osaka (the Grand Chaos one, not the Umeda one) for cels as well, but there you have to ask on the second floor to see them.

Nakano Broadway on the 4th floor. Both the Mandarake cel shop and the other nearby cel shop. Check the Mandarake in Osaka (the Grand Chaos one, not the Umeda one) for cels as well, but there you have to ask on the second floor to see them.

Noted. I have some open space where some cells would look kind of neat.

Top Bottom