• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese software developers expect PS3 price to be...

Izzy

Banned
Gamefront said:
Software-Hersteller sehen PS3-Preis bei Euro 430

20.11.05 - Japanische Software-Entwickler gehen davon aus, dass die PlayStation3 etwa Yen 60.000 (Euro 430 / USD 500) kosten wird. Das will die Game Labo erfahren haben und veröffentlicht eine entsprechende Meldung in der Gerückterubrik ihrer neuesten Ausgabe.

Sony hat diesen Preis nicht bestätigt und auch noch keinen Preis für die PlayStation3 genannt.

Discuss.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Software producers see PS3-Preis with euro 430 20.11.05 - Japanese software developers assume the PlayStation3 will cost about Yen 60,000 (euro 430/USD 500). That wants to have experienced the Game Labo and publishes an appropriate message in the moving column of its newest expenditure. Sony did not confirm and also still no price for the PlayStation3 did not call this price.

This is babelfished

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
wouldn't surprise me a bit. the idea that kutaragi's "get a second job" comments aren't preparing the way for an expensive ps3 but are in fact an elaborate feint has always struck me as silly. at a price like that, it had better outperform 360 substantially and from the jump (though who am i kidding -- the games will be there and so will i).

Grug

I'd complain and say that the price is unacceptable.

But I am still going to pay it anyway, so I'll just shut my mouth.

Fuma

Banned
After I recover from the 360 launch, begins my saving for PS3 and an upgrade to a 1080p HDTV. I for one am glad that the next gen systems launches have been spread apart like they have. Gives us broke asses a chance to put money aside, little by little. :D

lachesis

really, I don't think PS3 will be anything over $399 max. Remember PS2? Remember PSP? They all came out at much lower price than anticipated. Hell, when first PS2 was announced, Meryl Lynch was speculating that it will cost 700 dollars to produce - and still, they sold it a much lower price.

Ceb

Koei became the first Japanese publisher to announce solid development plans for Sony's upcoming PSP portable gaming device.

In commenting on the PSP, a company representative had the following to say: "We're expecting it to be a success. Considering the specs, we wouldn't be surprised at a price above 60,000 yen (about $555).

OMG, PS3 to be cheaper than the PSP. :D

Prine

Banned
krypt0nian said:
For a Blu-ray drive I will pay $500 no sweat.

And I get games on top of it? SOLD.

same.

I expect it to be $500, but im totally fine with it. Blue Ray player, thats a fucking steal

scarybore

I wouldn't give much attention to what developers think the price will be, they were miles off in regards to the PSPs price for instance.

Personally $500 is too much for me since BluRay ain't a factor since I don't have a HDTV (I can certainly see why this is a big plus for those with a HDTV), but unlike with a lot of people on the 360's price point I aint going to moan like a dick, I'll just wait for it to come down to a more suitable level (teh sensible option).

vantastic

can we just stop already with all this speculation and assumption. all these stupid rumors do is make the fanboys come out. "ZOMG its gonna cost 10000000 bucks" we'll know the prices when sony tells us. geez.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
$500 would not be a very low number, psychologically, but it would be an excellent value proposition.

edit - forgot the "not"!

D3VI0US

Lo-Volt said:
Even in Asia?

MS winning Asia is a longshot but if they are market leader everywhere else in the world it's possible but not probable. I was talking about overall hardware penetration, but by no means will they run away with it like Sony has the past two gens, they'll just come out ahead.

Also even if Sony does match the $399 or undercut it, MS can just price drop and they will.

Az987

all good things
I'll pay no more than 400$... I might not even pay that unless theres at least 2 launch games I really want or a bunch of HD movies I want.

hadareud

The Translator
Amir0x said:
If that's the price, I'll have to wait for like 16 price drops

same here. It might be good value and all, but I simply cannot afford it until it hits around £ 200 - 250

Lo-Volt

Same here. As doubtful as I am about this pricing, if it does happen, I'm out of the running for maybe half of a regular generation right there? I have a PSP to think about, and the Xbox 360 will be hard to deny for me by the time we see a second wave of software. And I will not by one to support more than one console per generation; that looks like it'll divide far too much in time and resources to make that work well.

hadareud

The Translator
ourumov said:
Seems a good price to me...At least in Europe...

If you compare it to the premium pack which is EUR 400.- and doesn't have a blue ray or HD-DVD player, I'd say it is.

Then again, by the time it comes out in Europe the Xbox 360 will already have had at least 2 price cuts.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Grug said:
I'd complain and say that the price is unacceptable.

But I am still going to pay it anyway, so I'll just shut my mouth.

QFT. Here SOny, just have my fucking checking number. Apple already has it.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
$500 isn't too bad. Anything over $600 is when I start to go "uhh..." I'll wait for the final word from Sony, we had a lot of people saying the PSP would be more than $399 when it came out. :lol

Mrbob

PS3 launches in the USA in Sept-NOV 2006 I expect a price of 399 or less.

I'm surprised the amount of people here willing to pay 500 bucks for a videogame console. Crazy.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Mrbob said:
Err, what? Value proposition? 500 dollars?

Hardware per dollar would be more than you're getting in a $400 X360, for starters.

Bluray players alone will likely be more expensive than this.

How much does it cost to get a wifi-enabled X360, for example? $400 at least. So for another $100, you could get a Bluray player, a more powerful system (be it by whatever margin you care to subscribe to), dual digital-out, SACD support, backwards compatability with two generations of playstation, a crapload of IO features etc. etc.

The figure is high, but versus the mark MS has set, it'd still be good value.

I appreciate that the comparison with $400 X360s etc. may not hold by the time PS3 launches, but seriously, the Bluray player alone is a massive value-add given how much those things will cost. I shudder to think how much MS would charge for a HD-DVD add-on, for example - if it ever were to become available, I'm pretty sure the base cost of a 360 + wifi + hd-dvd would always eclipse the PS3's price.

Xellotah

Its not gonna happen ... People need to look at the wider market here. At $500, sony is asking to be beat, Sony knows this and I think this is just a feint like what they did with the PSP. Some people fell for that once and look how many people are falling for it now.

Deg

Banned
Xellotah said:
Its not gonna happen ... People need to look at the wider market here. At $500, sony is asking to be beat, Sony knows this and I think this is just a feint like what they did with the PSP. Some people fell for that once and look how many people are falling for it now.

Sony dont even need features they have the brand like many other market leaders. Its great Sony are also offering superb features.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I'm not gonna spend $500 on even the PS3... sorry. And I'm what you'd call a "hardcore" gamer or at least a gamer enthusiast... Joe Sixpack will NOT spend that price for a PS3 (and I don't think they'll really jump on X360 at $400 but that's just me). I'll probably end up just buying the Revolution and finish stuff up from this current gen, until either of the consoles lower down to a reasonable price point ($300).

hadareud

The Translator
I think people overestimate the impact blue ray will have. You cannot not in any form compare this to the PS2 including a DVD player.

Most people will ignore Blue Ray discs for a couple of years (much like they did with DVDs). DVDs are just now really getting mainstream, it will take many years to convince people to switch to Blue Ray.

Mrbob

gofreak said:
Hardware per dollar would be more than you're getting in a $400 X360, for starters.

Bluray players alone will likely be more expensive than this.

How much does it cost to get a wifi-enabled X360, for example? $400 at least. So for another $100, you could get a Bluray player, a more powerful system (be it by whatever margin you care to subscribe to), dual digital-out, SACD support, backwards compatability with two generations of playstation, a crapload of IO features etc. etc.

The figure is high, but versus the mark MS has set, it'd still be good value.

I appreciate that the comparison with $400 X360s etc. may not hold by the time PS3 launches, but seriously, the Bluray player alone is a massive value-add given how much those things will cost.

Well I like to buy my game systems to play games first and foremost. If the PS3 is going to cost $500 dollars then I would say adding Blu Ray isn't worth the money. I don't feel like spending an extra 200 dollars on a drive which will take awhile to gain widespread acceptence. I also disagree about your value proposition. You can add the wifi adapter in but it isn't necessary for everyone. I think a $400 dollar deluxe X360 package is a bigger value than a $500 PS3 since high definition movies aren't high on my priority list.

$500 dollar PS3 versus a $250 and $350 Xbox 360 packages could be a likely scenario. With a $199 revolution possibly too. MS is going to make a huge dent next gen if this is the case and I see Nintendo making headway too. Sony pricing themselves out of the competition.

Top Bottom