• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Higher prices for PS3 games confirmed by Atari Europe

lancubap

They are crazy, really.
How can they expect that people will buy a console that costs 600$ and then even 65-75$ for a single game ? Yeah, probably the Hardcore Gamers will buy the console even if it costs 1000$ and with games at 100$, but Casual gamers not !

I really don't understand Sony's strategy...

Il Comodino

sorry about his english
Nightbringer said:
snes.jpg

Remember me?

ehm

in Europe many games costs like that, for Ps2, Xbox and X360.

Vashu

soepkip said:
Any examples of that? FIFA, Madden, Need for Speed.. All cost you €60, which I find an acceptable price.

Xbox 360, not Xbox. ;) Battlefield 2 Modern Combat for X360 is 69.99, of course there are shops that sell them for less, but those are the given prices. As stated by both Replay and Micromedia.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
lancubap said:
They are crazy, really.
How can they expect that people will buy a console that costs 600$ and then even 65-75$ for a single game ? Yeah, probably the Hardcore Gamers will buy the console even if it costs 1000$ and with games at 100$, but Casual gamers not !

I see you are using US $ here... Where did you get these US prices from?

Xrenity said:
tard pack
and as if €573 isn't a lot of money for playing pool :lol

Actually compared to 360 the 500$ version is the premium-plus pack. And I suppose the 600$ version is the super-mega-OMG-WTF-WOW-Premium pack.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
70€ is too much for a videogame. Some gems will be worth it. But most games won't. The industry won't grow with such prices.

Xrenity

fortified_concept said:
Actually compared to 360 the 500$ version is the premium-plus pack. And I suppose the 600$ version is the super-mega-OMG-WTF-WOW-Premium pack.
Why compare it to 360?
574 is a load of money one way or another.

Since when is stating a price considered as trolling?

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
lancubap said:
They are crazy, really.

And I really don't understand why people continue to ignore the $499 configuration. It has everything the premium Xbox 360 has and more.

Fortified_Concept hit the nail right on the head.

$500 = Premium Plus Pack
$600 = Super-Mega-OMG-WTF-WOW-Premium Pack

As for the Snooker game...yeah, its way too expensive. Is it possible they could have meant 37,00?

Xrenity said:
Why compare it to 360?
574 is a load of money one way or another.

Since when is stating a price considered as trolling?

Stating a price isn't trolling. Saying the $500 configuration is a tard pack is though. If the $500 PS3 is a tard pack what does that make the Premium Xbox 360?

Vashu

marc^o^ said:
70€ is too much for a videogame. Some gems will be worth it. But most games won't. The industry won't grow with such prices.

Indeed, and it makes one think that MS, Sony, Atari, EA and all the other publishers don't really want growth. <Insert obligatory conspiracy theory here> Thing is, they all keep saying how Europe is a more important market for them, how it has a lot of potential for growth and want to show that they take the European gamer seriously. But with prices like these, we still get a royal fuckover and instead of helping the market it only hurts it more.

Shompola said:
haha Snooker... I wonder what a high profule game like FF XIII will cost. 100 euro?
Yeah, I was about to ask about that. I mean, why does a Snooker game command a price like that when the development cost can't possibly be higher than just about any other kind of game out for consoles.

lancubap said:
Change Euro-Dollars - Taxes (this is only an approximation).

Some Europeam game prices are already higher than US game prices. Just look at the link Elios linked to earlier, 64 for Tomb Raider Legend, 73 for Tourist Trophy while in the US TR Legend is 50 and TT is 40.

Xrenity

Baron Aloha said:
Stating a price isn't trolling. Saying the $500 configuration is a tard pack is though. If the $500 PS3 is a tard pack what does that make the Premium Xbox 360?
The premium 360 is a 360; it's the total 360 package.
The tard PS3 pack might not get released in Europe.
Fortified_concept said:
Because you're an xbot trolling PS3?
Ntard actually :p

SolidSnakex said:
Some Europeam game prices are already higher than US game prices. Just look at the link Elios linked to earlier, 64 for Tomb Raider Legend, 73 for Tourist Trophy while in the US TR Legend is 50 and TT is 40.

I don't know there, but I'm pretty sure all eurozone countries get all games distributed by sony for a maximum of €59.90 (generally this is the standard price tag for all new releases). I don't think that's gonna change with PS3 (for Sony's own games, that is).

ram

Spider_Jerusalem said:
Sony Europe said so - they think it could be difficlut to market two different skus

UK is not europe!

and btw. there are many xbox360 games for 70 € here ein germany (you can buy them at the biggest warehouses like neckermann and quelle here). these prices are for benelux, not for germany. i`ll doubt that sega germany will offer these games at these prices. and if they do, they will cost the same for xbox360...

ichigo kurosaki said:
I don't know there, but I'm pretty sure all eurozone countries get all games distributed by sony for a maximum of €59.90 (generally this is the standard price tag for all new releases). I don't think that's gonna change with PS3 (for Sony's own games, that is).

So on average Euro prices translate into 77 US dollars? Yikes

Xrenity said:
The premium 360 is a 360; it's the total 360 package.
The tard PS3 pack might not get released in Europe.

Ntard actually :p

360 core was called a retard pack because it's for "retards" who didn't know that it was so gimped to the point that it actually had disabled some of its features. And unless you imply that all xbox360 owners are retards (since 360 premium has less features than PS3 core), you're kinda contradicting yourself.

The expression tard pack was used for a specific reason for 360. It's not like we're gonna call every core version of any electronics equipment a tard pack from now on.

DarienA

lancubap said:
Change Euro-Dollars - Taxes (this is only an approximation).

And do current generation(PS2, GC, Xbox) videogame Euro prices translate to US prices using the same calculation?

fortified_concept
Since you made the accussation I guess you have to support it. Please
quote post of mine where I make stupid remarks style "460$ for 360 + Tiger woods! LOLZ". Thanks in advance.

It's Pot calling the Kettle Black, because Xrenity's comment wasn't trolling, and I'm pretty sure he's not an Xbot. It might have been a bit silly to combine dollars and Euro's but it wasn't trolling.

I would count yourself, Zaptruder, GoFreak and a few others as being obviously pro-Sony, but generally not trolls, however there are plenty of posts you all make that might get a 'quit trolling', or 'sonybot viral marketer' response by someone who doesn't look at the point that's being debated. When that invariably does happen, the general response is that it's *not* trolling.

All Xrenity was pointing out IMHO is that expensive games just compound the expensive price of entry.

Calling someone an Xbot when you are obviously a Sonybot yourself is pretty much Pot Meet Kettle. Oops see what I did there? :p

gollumsluvslave said:
fortified_concept

It's Pot calling the Kettle Black, because Xrenity's comment wasn't trolling, and I'm pretty sure he's not an Xbot. It might have been a bit silly to combine dollars and Euro's but it wasn't trolling.

I would count yourself, Zaptruder, GoFreak and a few others as being obviously pro-Sony, but generally not trolls, however there are plenty of posts you all make that might get a 'quit trolling', or 'sonybot viral marketer' response by someone who doesn't look at the point that's being debated. When that invariably does happen, the general response is that it's *not* trolling.

All Xrenity was pointing out IMHO is that expensive games just compound the expensive price of entry.

Calling someone an Xbot when you are obviously a Sonybot yourself is pretty much Pot Meet Kettle. Oops see what I did there? :p

I'm obviously pro-sony but I'm don't troll. People who don't like my opinion can argue with me. But I never troll. That's all. And no Xtrenity wasn't pointing out anything. He was plain and simple trolling using the price of the 600$ PS3 version like every PS3 troll does, combined with a shitty game which happens to be very expensive in EU. And the accusation wasn't the "xbot" part it was the "trolling" part.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
fortified_concept said:
I'm obviously pro-sony but I'm don't troll. People who don't like my opinion can argue with me. But I never troll. That's all.

Today, 06:54 AM:
fortified_concept said:
Wii in reality is just an accessory. I feel cheated by buying it. Nintendo could have released the wiimote on GC and tell all the devs that it won't give licences to them unless all their games support the wiimote (or something like that).

marc^o^ said:
Today, 06:54 AM:

How many times do I have to repeat this? I am a Nintendo fan. I'm sorry from being dissapointed with nintendo's stupid decisions. And it's true that Wii could've been a GC accessory. I would ask you why you believe that my post is completely false to the point of trolling but since we have totally derailed the thread I don't want to go any further.

EctoPrime

I for one cant wait to buy a probable $1000+ AU console on launch day and (Oh boy, Oh boy) now have the oppurtunity to buy $150 dollar games from Infogrames for a six way experience of suckage.

fortified_concept said:
360 core was called a retard pack because it's for "retards" who didn't know that it was so gimped to the point that it actually had disabled some of its features. And unless you imply that all xbox360 owners are retards (since 360 premium has less features than PS3 core), you're kinda contradicting yourself.

The expression tard pack was used for a specific reason for 360. It's not like we're gonna call every core version of any electronics equipment a tard pack from now on.

Wow, did you miss the boat on this one. NEWSFLASH: Everyone calls it the tard pack already.

I don't know where they got the idea. I'm sure it has nothing to do with the fact that out of all four SKUs it's the only one whose gimpedness can never be ungimped. You can cry until the cows come home about how its still better than the Premium 360, but it also STILL has that ugly-ass Spider1979Station 3 logo on the side and thus must be looked at in comparison to the $600 version and not either 360. And in that light, in that double-wide gargantuan shadow, it is truly and fundamentaly a "Tard Pack".

"The largest one there ever was," some say...

DarienA

BenjaminBirdie said:
Wow, did you miss the boat on this one. NEWSFLASH: Everyone calls it the tard pack already.

I don't know where they got the idea. I'm sure it has nothing to do with the fact that out of all four SKUs it's the only one whose gimpedness can never be ungimped. You can cry until the cows come home about how its still better than the Premium 360, but it also STILL has that ugly-ass Spider1979Station 3 logo on the side and thus must be looked at in comparison to the $600 version and not either 360. And in that light, in that double-wide gargantuan shadow, it is truly and fundamentaly a "Tard Pack".

"The largest one there ever was," some say...

Who is everyone? This forum for the most part has already dismissed the term tard park for the lower end PS3.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I thought games in Europe were regularly jacked up in price anyway?

And wii games will not cost that equivalent in America.

I recommend we stop the "hey there's one for $500 jerk!" talk until we know what the actual launch quantities are.

What if it's 80% premium 20% value? Then how many early-adopters out there WILL be given that choice?

Hell the UK are not even getting the option, which should throw up an immediate red flag.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Y2Kevbug11 said:
I thought games in Europe were regularly jacked up in price anyway?

They are. Anyone using this as a guide to American pricing obviously hasn't been paying attention to the moans of European gamers over pricing here for..well, forever. Perhaps it's time for another euro games pricing bitching-thread! ;)

DCharlie

Banned
- Sonic The Hedgehog (PS3): Euro 67,99
- World Snooker Championship 2007 (PS3): Euro 73,99
- Sonic Wild Fire (Wii): Euro 59,99
- Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz (Wii): Euro 59,99

wel, this would be sort of in line with the rumours doing the rounds. But if $70 a game (with a large proportion being multiplatform) is what the price ends up being then everyone is fucked.

They are. Anyone using this as a guide to American pricing obviously hasn't been paying attention to the moans of European gamers over pricing here for..well, forever. Perhaps it's time for another euro games pricing bitching-thread! ;)

... this is still more expensive than usual. Sony fans should also look at the pricing of PSP games in the US in comparison to elsewhere and start nibbling fingernails. ;)

DarienA said:
Who is everyone? This forum for the most part has already dismissed the term tard park for the lower end PS3.

Just back pedal a little bit further my friend and you'll be back in the good graces of reality. I call it a Tard Pack, my friends in the real world call it a Tard Pack, we'll see, maybe Katie Couric will call it a Tard Pack offhandedly as she leaves the Today Show. "Man, that $500 SKU is totally a Tard Pack." Something like that. We'll just have to see.

I can confirm the prices gofreak said. Ireland is a complete ripoff and I see 360 games going for 75€, some PSP games for 60€ and DS games are normally 45-50€. I haven't bought a game here in over 5 years and don't see that changing in the future.

DarienA

BenjaminBirdie said:
Just back pedal a little bit further my friend and you'll be back in the good graces of reality. I call it a Tard Pack, my friends in the real world call it a Tard Pack, we'll see, maybe Katie Couric will call it a Tard Pack offhandedly as she leaves the Today Show. "Man, that $500 SKU is totally a Tard Pack." Something like that. We'll just have to see.

Oh my god you and your cool circle of friends still call it the tard pack! Well shit that definitely equals everyone... my god what was *I* thinking.....

DCharlie

Banned

it's not a tard pack though, that's the end of it - what irked was : 1) not totally the machine sony were touting (it lost stuff, it gained stuff) 2) it flies in the face of the "WE are TRUE HD, not like 720p! lolz ! HA HA " style crap around the X360 launch. At the end of the day, the $499 PS3 feature wise is going to more than match what the X360 premium (questions over whether it has wireless controllers packed in or not notwithstanding, but mainly irrelevant). Oh and the US price vs. JPN price - jgaffers are lubing NOW, you guys get a gentler brand of bullyramming.

Jeez, this is getting bad, i'm getting more annoyed with sony bashers than i am with the sony butt lickers. I might just "cross the floor" for the fun of it.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
DCharlie said:
it's not a tard pack though, that's the end of it - what irked was : 1) not totally the machine sony were touting (it lost stuff, it gained stuff) 2) it flies in the face of the "WE are TRUE HD, not like 720p! lolz ! HA HA " style crap around the X360 launch.

Doesn't it do 1080p over component though, especially for games?

The only thing Sony certainly didn't deliver on would be that they promised an all digital connection, which is only the case with the higher priced SKU.

Top Bottom