• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Higher prices for PS3 games confirmed by Atari Europe

DarienA said:
Oh my god you and your cool circle of friends still call it the tard pack! Well shit that definitely equals everyone... my god what was *I* thinking.....

God damn, dude. The people I overheard talking about the PS3 in EB when I picked up Table Tennis called it a Tard Pack. Is that an example that wont give you diaper rash?

Ponn

Banned
Kleegamefan said:
Holy Shyte @ those prices.....good thing Wii hardware will be cheap, cause it doesnt look like the games will be....

I saw the 59.99 placeholder spots for Wii games on EBgames.com and shat myself. That will be suicide if they do that. There is absolutely no reason to be paying 59.99 for what is technically close to last gen games. I'm hoping Nintendo is not this stupid.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
DCharlie said:
this is still more expensive than usual.

Well, there's mixed reports on that here. Even if you add €10 to these prices for Ireland, they wouldn't exactly look out of place next to 360 games.

DCharlie said:
Sony fans should also look at the pricing of PSP games in the US in comparison to elsewhere and start nibbling fingernails. ;)

I'm not sure if I follow, but I'm looking at PSP game prices on Gamestop.com, and new games seem to be $40? They're €50 or €60 here, I think ($64-$77).

The whole pricing thing is a clusterf*** generally IMO. Even Wii isn't looking cheap. I hope this is only going to be temporary.

DCharlie

Banned
I saw the 59.99 placeholder spots for Wii games on EBgames.com and shat myself. That will be suicide if they do that. There is absolutely no reason to be paying 59.99 for what is technically close to last gen games. I'm hoping Nintendo is not this stupid.

... 1/10 - poor deflection attempt. again.

Well, there's mixed reports on that here. Even if you add €10 to these prices for Ireland, they wouldn't exactly look out of place next to 360 games.

converting into GBP (i'm not used to Euros) it would work out around 5 GBP more... around 7-8$. Personally, i can't see that working for multiplatform games, so sounds a bit to crazy. But we shall see i guess.

I'm not sure if I follow, but I'm looking at PSP game prices on Gamestop.com, and new games seem to be $40? They're €50 or €60 here, I think ($64-$77).

The whole pricing thing is a clusterf*** generally IMO. Even Wii isn't looking cheap. I hope this is only going to be temporary.

well, the US pricing of PSP games is (probably for the first time ever!) above the Japanese price tag.

Not sure where you are buying your PSP games, but they are clocking in at 43E (29.99 GBP) in the UK - again , that's still $54 or so dollars, so not great.

As you say, i don't think you can extrapolate prices for one region out of another. You only have to look at the price of the PS3 in Europe and Japan compared to the US to see that the US is getting the "comfy treatment" whilst Europe and Japan are touching their toes for a right good fisting.

Ponn01 said:

God damn, this place is A Parade Of Semantics today. You guys need to stop installing self-destruct mechanisms in your sentences if you ever want your arguments to hold any kind of water.

reminder

gofreak said:

I have never seen a PSP game for more than 49€ here in Germany. At least not there where I buy my games. Usually the Price is between 39€ and 49€.

NWO

Maybe we should wait for the price of games to come out before every starts going crazy. I mean half the time these "rumors" and shit never turn out to be true so you people freak out for nothing.

Ponn

Banned
BenjaminBirdie said:
God damn, this place is A Parade Of Semantics today. You guys need to stop installing self-destruct mechanisms in your sentences if you ever want your arguments to hold any kind of water.

If the first batch of games are told to be programmed on Gamecube dev kits. look like Gamecube games, ARE actually on both gamecube and Wii and Nintendo's big idea is offering developers lower development costs then whats your problem with that statement?

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
BenjaminBirdie said:
God damn, dude. The people I overheard talking about the PS3 in EB when I picked up Table Tennis called it a Tard Pack. Is that an example that wont give you diaper rash?

You are so right man... this is definitive proof.. your circle of friends combined with your local EB(surely a stronghold of intelligence) = Everyone! Now if only your friends can solve that whole Bigfoot and Yeti mystery for the rest of us...

Dcharlie I just took a quick look at ebgames and saw that new releases were mostly coming in at $39.99?!?!?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
DCharlie said:
As you say, i don't think you can extrapolate prices for one region out of another. You only have to look at the price of the PS3 in Europe and Japan compared to the US to see that the US is getting the "comfy treatment" whilst Europe and Japan are touching their toes for a right good fisting.

And how. I'm slightly convinced we're actually paying more because of the weak dollar - in yen, the US and Euro prices nicely balance each other out to close to the Japanese price (for the $500 model, anyway).

Ireland seems to be a bit of a special case wrt to pricing, but that is literally how it is here. Not that the rest of Europe is anywhere near on parity with the US either, though.

DCharlie

Banned
If the first batch of games are told to be programmed on Gamecube dev kits. look like Gamecube games, ARE actually on both gamecube and Wii and Nintendo's big idea is offering developers lower development costs then whats your problem with that statement?

... this isn't about the Wii - you threw in "Well, i saw a price point of blab blah blah might even be bollox but blah blah blah so the wii is crap how dare they so technically crap blah blah blah"

STAY ON TARGET PORKINS

"Dcharlie I just took a quick look at ebgames and saw that new releases were mostly coming in at $39.99?!?!?"

that's a damn sight cheaper than here and the UK... "i'd like this new game plea... oh.. cash... sure... $60? oh okay... for a PS2 game? oh... right... here you go... *leaves store crying*"

Ponn

Banned
DCharlie said:
... this isn't about the Wii - you threw in "Well, i saw a price point of blab blah blah might even be bollox but blah blah blah so the wii is crap how dare they so technically crap blah blah blah"

STAY ON TARGET PORKINS

would you care to reread who I and what I replied too? I'm sorry if the thread doesn't revolve entirely around what you would like it too.

RaijinFY

*ah remembering the time I paid the equivalent of ~120€ to play Virtua racing on Genesis*

Games here arent more than 60€. Except one time Ive paid 75€ for MGS2 but that's all. But a snooker game at 75€? Even Sonic next-gen is cheaper? Good work Atari...

Shompola

Banned
reminder said:
I have never seen a PSP game for more than 49€ here in Germany. At least not there where I buy my games. Usually the Price is between 39€ and 49€.

I believe GTA was 60 euro and is now down to 40 euro... Compare this to the PS2 version wich is supposedly 30 euro when it launches.

There isnt a single console/portable in Europe where the games are rather cheap. Only PC games are acceptable, they are the equivalent of console prices in NA more or less, and get cheap very fast too wich is nice.

DCharlie

Banned
would you care to reread who I and what I replied too? I'm sorry if the thread doesn't revolve entirely around what you would like it too.
ah, i just read it - i see there is some context, but $59.99 place holder for games at EB? hmm. interesting.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Ponn01 said:
Is there a bad trolling contest today?

DCharlie

Banned
"Is there a bad trolling contest today?"

In response to what Ponn01 posted, and as Ponn01 usually says whilst defending the Sony flag...

"it's FUD"

and that is DEFINITELY FUD regardless of context.

Ponn

Banned
DCharlie said:
In response to what Ponn01 posted, and as Ponn01 usually says whilst defending the Sony flag...

"it's FUD"

and that is DEFINITELY FUD regardless of context.

Yea, and if you notice did I say the prices were right and nintendo is doomed? I said I would hope Nintendo is not that stupid to price themselves out like that.

Would you like to insert anymore feet into your mouth today?

DCharlie

Banned
Yea, and if you notice did I say the prices were right and nintendo is doomed? I said I would hope Nintendo is not that stupid to price themselves out like that.

Would you like to insert anymore feet into your mouth today?

no - it was well constructed FUD, so you (as per the pattern) suggest it with whimsical 'oh i saw this... wouldn't that be bad'

come on, you don't have to hide your colours...
just let them shine through!
Beautiful... like a rainbow!

Ponn

Banned
DCharlie said:
no - it was well constructed FUD, so you (as per the pattern) suggest it with whimsical 'oh i saw this... wouldn't that be bad'

come on, you don't have to hide your colours...
just let them shine through!
Beautiful... like a rainbow!

So then, what do YOU make of seeing these higher priced Wii games being listed oh mighty one? Do you think its good? Do you think its just outright bogus and believe Nintendo would never do anything like that? Are you cautiously optimistic they wouldn't do that? Or do you believe they would do something like that?

DCharlie

Banned
So then, what do YOU make of seeing these higher priced Wii games being listed oh mighty one? Do you think its good? Do you think its just outright bogus and believe Nintendo would never do anything like that? Are you cautiously optimistic they wouldn't do that? Or do you believe they would do something like that?

i haven't seen the prices YOU have seen, has anyone else?

From what i've heard (which is japanese pricing rumours (again, rumours/reverse fud/my fud is bigger than your fud etc)) then $59.99 would be a massive surprise.

For the record, I personally think you are bullshitting about seeing the $59.99 price to spin the heat off sony. ;)

"Like this?
http://images.google.com/images?q=tb...e-lovesexy.jpg"

not enought urban cool , but close! ;)

Ponn

Banned
DCharlie said:
i haven't seen the prices YOU have seen, has anyone else?

From what i've heard (which is japanese pricing rumours (again, rumours/reverse fud/my fud is bigger than your fud etc)) then $59.99 would be a massive surprise.

For the record, I personally think you are bullshitting about seeing the $59.99 price to spin the heat off sony. ;)

you mean like this? Mario Galaxy 59.99 at ebgames.com from a simple search, lot of hardwork there. whewww.

For the record charlie, when I on occassion call FUD I make it a very important point to actually back up why I think it's FUD with evidence, links and other pertinent information instead of resorting solely to ad hominem attacks.

I only see a couple posters on here right now showing there true colors by attacking me like this.

Amir0x

Banned
Man, DCharlie, you've really turned into something else since E3. Maybe you were just waiting for the door to be opened, but I think you should probably revert to your regressed-fanboy-waiting-in-preperation-for-a-day-when-Sony-slips-up-mode. You were so much the better poster back then! Memories.

Anyways, as is typical for reports so far in advance and also Euro prices in general, I'll wait for something firm for the US.

DCharlie

Banned
you mean like this? Mario Galaxy 59.99 at ebgames.com from a simple search, lot of hardwork there. whewww.

lol - well that's me pwned!

For the record charlie, when I on occassion call FUD I make it a very important point to actually back up why I think it's FUD with evidence, links and other pertinent information instead of resorting solely to ad hominem attacks.

I only see a couple posters on here right now showing there true colors by attacking me like this.

indeed! I'm all poisoned warped and bitter! but everyone on the board already knows that.
Man, DCharlie, you've really turned into something else since E3. Maybe you were just waiting for the door to be opened, but I think you should probably revert to your regressed-fanboy-mode-in-preperation-for-a-day-when-Sony-slips-up. You were so much the better poster back then! Memories.

to be quite honest, after E3 and sonys performance - after constantly thinking "wouldn't it be good to see Sony fuck up just once" - after E3 happened, the reality kind of hit me that the industry with out a cocky Sony would suck. Quite frankly, baiting Sony now is just boring. There's no challenge.

So now i'm just being moderately indecissive on a per thread basis. that's not really working either, so i'm just having random goes at various posters i don't care for... yes, i should get a new hobby..

Ponn01 said:

Didn't Iwata or someone else said that the price of Wii games won't increase and that they'll remain 50$?

I expected to see those Wii prices, ie no price increase. 60 euro is the standard price for the current gen console games over here.
The PS3 snooker price is retarded, 74 euro's for a snooker game :lol

Ponn

Banned
OmegaDragon said:
Didn't Iwata or someone else said that the price of Wii games won't increase and that they'll remain 50$?

I don't remember anything solid said about game prices just consoles. But i'm pretty sure everyone ASSUMED they would stay at the very least the same as they are now with the talk of lower development costs and that really being the Wii's biggest advantage compared to the other consoles. That's why I thought it was odd that we were suddenly seeing these prices, it just doesn't jive and make much sense for Nintendo to do that.

I expected to see those Wii prices, ie no price increase. 60 euro is the standard price for the current gen console games over here.
The PS3 snooker price is retarded, 74 euro's for a snooker game :lol

That's why I didn't even touch on that argument. I think it's pretty stupid. If people have already confirmed they were paying 69 euro's and up up for 360 games then this pretty much confirms that PS3 games will be the same priced. Unless people were actually thinking PS3 games were going to stay at current gen prices, which would be quite odd given everything we have known up till now.

Ponn01 said:
I don't remember anything solid said about game prices just consoles.

I found the qoute + source

Satoru Iwata, president of Nintendo of Japan, told me last week that while the company has no control over what its partners ask for their games, "I cannot imagine any first party title could be priced for more than $50."

http://money.cnn.com/2006/03/29/commentary/game_over/column_gaming/index.htm

Not 100% solid though, and he only talks about first party games.

Amir0x

Banned
OmegaDragon said:
I found the qoute + source

Satoru Iwata, president of Nintendo of Japan, told me last week that while the company has no control over what its partners ask for their games, "I cannot imagine any first party title could be priced for more than $50."

http://money.cnn.com/2006/03/29/commentary/game_over/column_gaming/index.htm

Not 100% solid though, and he only talks about first party games.

Even MS first party games are $50, and I imagine unless Sony is even more nuts than usual it'll be the same for them.

P90

Amir0x said:
Even MS first party games are $50, and I imagine unless Sony is even more nuts than usual it'll be the same for them.

For me, except for a few titles, what is most important is how fast the games go down to $19.99 regardless of platform.

ralexand

100% logic failure rate
Is it true that all euro prices include tax? If so then the actual european price is comparable to american prices plus the outrageous european taxes.

Chittagong

Gold Member
PLAYSTATION®3 Euro 599
World Snooker Championship 2007 (PS3): Euro 73,99
Hitting the weak spot for Massive Damage Priceless

Chittagong said:
PLAYSTATION®3 Euro 599

Looks good except for the fact that the info came from Atari. Bruno Bonnell loudly proclaimed a $500 PSP two years ago as well.

Mrbob

P90 said:
For me, except for a few titles, what is most important is how fast the games go down to $19.99 regardless of platform.

Well the 360 should be there first.

MS *cannot* screw this aspect up. Platinum games should be $19.99. Not $24.99. Not $29.99.

The majority in Europe want one. The people who will have one will cry over the price. The people who dont have one will cry over buying something else. It's going to be a sad couple of Xmases across Europe.

ralexand

100% logic failure rate
Mrbob said:
Well the 360 should be there first.

MS *cannot* screw this aspect up. Platinum games should be $19.99. Not $24.99. Not $29.99.
You're delusional if you think Platinum games will be priced at that level when the normal price is $60. You're setting yourself up for disappointment.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
As much as some people would like to see it, I'm fairly sure the price for PS3 and 360 games will be the same. Although I do feel 360 owners are subsidizing the increased costs of developing for the PS3. MS charges $50 because they don't have to worry about the extra costs. The other developers are having 360 owners help them make up their costs. If it costs $5 more per game sold on 360 and they can get $10, that helps a lot because they're gonna eat $5 per game sold on the PS3.

Therefore, I believe we'll see them coming in at the same price of $60. It's actually the 360 owners that should be a little peeved if this is the case.

Chittagong

Gold Member
MassiveAttack said:
Looks good except for the fact that the info came from Atari. Bruno Bonnell loudly proclaimed a $500 PSP two years ago as well.

BBonell.jpg

Did I say Pee Es Pee? Nah, I meant Pee Es Three.

Chittagong said:
PLAYSTATION®3 Euro 599
Agreed.

I think this confirms all PS3 games in the US will be $70 and up.

Its over Sony, PS3 loses. :D

ToyMachine228 said:
Agreed.

I think this confirms all PS3 games in the US will be $70 and up.

Its over Sony, PS3 loses. :D

You're not really sure when to stop, are you? Plus, you're agreeing with Atari which is about to be delisted from NASDAQ.

MrNibbles

Banned
I for one certainly do call the 499 PS3 a tard pack.

But it needs a better name.
It costs more than the original tard pack for the 360, and it's non-upgradeable.

It's worse than a tard pack.

Top Bottom