• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jason Schreier's industry sources: PS5 is superior in ways that Sony has not communicated yet

Gamerguy84

That must mean your team blue.

That I am. They always have the games library that suits me. Im also a fan of technology. XBOX built quite a monster of a console. I also want to see it in action. I will because my neighbor is quite the XBOX fan.

I actually talked him into staying with them when he wanted to jump ship because of PS4 power.

As I said though console wars are silly. Any brand loyalty is silly. I work too hard for my money to be loyal to billion dollar companies.

Reindeer

That I am. They always have the games library that suits me. Im also a fan of technology. XBOX built quite a monster of a console. I also want to see it in action. I will because my neighbor is quite the XBOX fan.

I actually talked him into staying with them when he wanted to jump ship because of PS4 power.

As I said though console wars are silly. Any brand loyalty is silly. I work too hard for my money to be loyal to billion dollar companies.
Never understood people who think you can't own more than one console, especially as they get cheap with time. That's just stupid brand loyalty that means a person is not a real gamer.

Last edited:

Piku_Ringo

Banned

Even Billion dollar company execs need people to shine their shoes. A lot of people here are working diligently to ensure they are as shiny as possible

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war

I dont think that guy is team green hes an ex sony devs an he seems to play on both platforms.

Gamerguy84

Never understood people who think you can't own more than one console, especially as they get cheap with time. That's just stupid brand loyalty that means a person is not a real gamer.

XBOX would be redundant for me. As long as MS keeps putting mostly everything on GP.(PC)

Reindeer

XBOX would be redundant for me. As long as MS keeps putting mostly everything on GP.(PC)
I was talking about console gamers and not you specifically. Even then, it makes much more sense to get Series X than upgrade your PC to play next gen games. I say this while I don't even plan to buy Series X (I'm waiting for Nvidia Ampere GPUs), but it's undeniable that Series X is just better value for money for next gen at this point

Last edited:
I think PS5 will outperform XsX in performance, yes. More and more devs are saying the same thing. I think the type of people saying it know what they are talking about compared to nameless and frustrated Xbox fanboys!
Lol that’s a load of garbage. Show me ONE developer who has said the PS5 is more powerful than XSX, just one. Your statement is such nonsense.

Last edited:

Gamerguy84

I was talking about console gamers and not you specifically. Even then, it makes much more sense to get Series X than upgrade your PC to play next gen games. I say this while I don't even plan to buy Series X (I'm waiting for Nvidia Ampere GPUs), but it's undeniable that Series X is just better value for money for next gen at this point

It definitely is. I cant wait to see the BOM numbers for both and how much each is losing in the beginning.

My daughter is a PC gamer so every few years I build one. Perk is I get to have the best of PC, PS, and GP. Cant wait for flight simulator.

I was Nvidia last time. Because of AMD pricing ill probably build an AM4 plus Navi on RDNA2.

Reindeer

Texture detail, texture resolution, and texel density do not need GPU compute. You just need it to be inside the RAM.

Q: How do you get those insane texture details inside the RAM?

A: Ultra-fast SSD

Therefore, the faster the SSD, the more detailed the game is.
And yet Series X has faster GPU Ram, so your SSD advantage becomes of less importance.

Last edited:
Texture detail, texture resolution, and texel density do not need GPU compute. You just need it to be inside the RAM.

Q: How do you get those insane texture details inside the RAM?

A: Ultra-fast SSD

Therefore, the faster the SSD, the more detailed the game is.

Case in point, texture detail in PC games.

As long as you have large VRAM/fast SSD, you can put it to highest setting without taxing the GPU.

Now, imagine if you give developers an ultra-fast SSD that can fill your RAM in a blink of an eye.

Last edited:

Reindeer

It definitely is. I cant wait to see the BOM numbers for both and how much each is losing in the beginning.

My daughter is a PC gamer so every few years I build one. Perk is I get to have the best of PC, PS, and GP. Cant wait for flight simulator.

I was Nvidia last time. Because of AMD pricing ill probably build an AM4 plus Navi on RDNA2.
I prefer AMD because of their pricing, but they are very unreliable when it comes to stability and driver support. If RDNA2 is going to be impressive on PC then I might have a look at it.

Last edited:

Reindeer

Case in point, texture detail in PC games.

As long as you have large VRAM/fast SSD, you can put it to highest setting without taxing the GPU.

Now, imagine if you give developers an ultra-fast SSD that can fill your RAM in a blink of an eye.
But your GPU Ram is the most important thing here and it's slower on PS5. This isn't as simple as the math you doing there.

But your GPU Ram is the most important thing here and it's slower on PS5. This isn't as simple as the math you doing there.

Not for LOD. Try it on your PC games.

Level of detail = amount of RAM and how fast you can fill that RAM.

Ram bandwidth is important but not for LOD.

Reindeer

Not for LOD. Try it on your PC games.

Level of detail = amount of RAM and how fast you can fill that RAM.

Ram bandwidth is important but not for LOD.
You forgetting that PS5 SSD is extremely slow compared to even GDDR3 and you think you gonna be streaming complex data from it at fast rate? Not happening, it's too slow to be used as virtual ram.

Last edited:

Goliathy

Banned
Another thing. SSD is not comparable to CPU and GPU because graphical fidelity still has a very long way to go to achieve photorealism compared to advantages SSD brings when it comes to game design or loading.

Once SSD allows for 1-2 seconds loading, going with even faster SSD for loading will not being any further benefit. So there is a technological wall. Same for game design, there isn't that much further game design can be taken and we'll probably hit that wall soon as well. This is why Cerny used a PS2 game to show game design limitation and not a PS3 or PS4 game. So we are much closer to hitting a technological wall with SSD when it comes to loading and game design than we are with ever hitting that wall with CPU and GPU.

This is why Microsoft chose not to focus on very fast SSD, because its implications are less than that of GPU and CPU.

yup. People act like series X has a Slow traditional HDD.

if series X only had an HDD and ps5 the ssd, then YES the difference would be HUGE! then I would absolutely agree.
BUT series X already HAS a really fast SSD. There won’t be much of a difference for Multiplatform games.

Blink of an eye. :messenger_winking:

No wonder devs are excited and calling it the most exciting architecture in 20 years.
Lol what developer is saying that? Naughty Dog? Lol.

I think the first DF videos comparing next gen 3rd party games on PS5 vs XSX is going to be a big wake up call to all the people who somehow have been convinced that a faster SSD (faster than an already fast SSD in XSX) will somehow makeup for the TF and bandwidth advantages XSX has.

The last time around nvidia managed to ship some cheap GPUs that matched or surpassed the PS4 at a pretty reasonable price, so we may witness some correction of PC GPU prices if everything goes well.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Highly unlikely as Series X has access to higher bandwidth when it comes Ram for GPU usage (560GBs) where those high quality assets are going to be stored. Faster Ram is more important in this case. Microsoft went for higher bandwidth for Ram for GPU usage because by doing that they could overcome a lot of the difference in SSD speeds.

Yes thats what I said 4gb is double 2gb, and I see you did not address my other points. like the ram bandwidth advantage or what devs could use the extra 2gb for?

Check out Dictator's post from Digital Foundry. He mentions a lack of LOD detail based on the speed the game is going. Loading these assets become faster and it's needed if something is loading right in front of you.

Reindeer

The last time around nvidia managed to ship some cheap GPUs that matched or surpassed the PS4 at a pretty reasonable price, so we may witness some correction of PC GPU prices if everything goes well.
I hope so, but Nvidia is so far back up their own backside that I'm not sure they will. Hopefully RDNA2 is good and forces them to drop prices.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Lol what developer is saying that? Naughty Dog? Lol.

I think the first DF videos comparing next gen 3rd party games on PS5 vs XSX is going to be a big wake up call to all the people who somehow have been convinced that a faster SSD (faster than an already fast SSD in XSX) will somehow makeup for the TF and bandwidth advantages XSX has.
The GPU on both consoles are not that big in comparison to this generation.

We might see some RT difference in performance based on what they're saying.

Faster SSD will not have a good impact unless devs take advantage of it and that may take a few years.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war

Check out Dictator's post from Digital Foundry. He mentions a lack of LOD detail based on the speed the game is going. Loading these assets become faster and it's needed if something is loading right in front of you.

Yes he says presuming i/o is the limiting factor.
So its not a confirmation of any real world visual superiority. Its just crazy eratards trying there damdest on speculating possible PS5 advantages, its crazy.

Reindeer

So its not a confirmation of any real world visual superiority. Its just crazy eratards trying there damdest on speculating possible PS5 advantages, its crazy.
Exactly what I've been saying all this time, there's no proof that Series X i/o will be a limiting factor, these are just assumptions and speculations. All these "it's gonna change game design" comments are based on assumption that Series X SSD i/o will be a limiting factor, something nobody has proof of. Nothing but speculation and opinion without any factual data to back it up.

Last edited:

Vroadstar

BUT series X already HAS a really fast SSD. There won’t be much of a difference for Multiplatform games.

SSD speed of PS5 is twice as fast compared to X, to X fans, there won't be much difference, it won't be used.

Only 17% difference in TF PS5 vs X, staggering difference lol

Yet we already had consoles this gen where the power difference is actually bigger, that staggering power difference was rarely if ever shown, much
less mattered to Sales and support for the console.

7 long years in the gutter sure does made a staggering difference, to some even creating multiple alt accounts to downplay and derail.

Dontero

Banned
I find it funny how people expect loading to go away.

Right now some games are reaching 100-150GB and that is just current generation when next generations hits game will go 200-300GB and all of that SSD talk will be moot because 4k textures or 8k textures will kill most of its bandwidth and developers will be in same place they were before.

Make no mistake SSD is huge improvement over HDD compared to last gen consoles but it won't change anything really on grand scale. Much like improved hardware won't change framerate as developers will still use 20-30FPS as their goal not 60fps or above.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

Exactly what I've been saying all this time, there's no proof that Series X i/o will be a limiting factor, these are just assumptions and speculations. All these "it's gonna change game design" comments are based on assumption that Series X SSD i/o will be a limiting factor, something nobody has proof of. Nothing but speculation and opinion without any factual data to back it up.

I highlighted the bandwidth parts on your posts. If bandwidth was the limiting factor for games (assuming both just use a full 10GB for games only), then that would mean transferring data at a faster pace wouldn't be hindered by that bandwidth. If they can drop instantly then they will not be limited by bandwidth. PS5 is able to do this as a faster rate due to this speed.

Goliathy

Banned
SSD speed of PS5 is twice as fast compared to X, to X fans, there won't be much difference, it won't be used.

Only 17% difference in TF PS5 vs X, staggering difference lol

Yet we already had consoles this gen where the power difference is actually bigger, that staggering power difference was rarely if ever shown, much
less mattered to Sales and support for the console.

7 long years in the gutter sure does made a staggering difference, to some even creating multiple alt accounts to downplay and derail.

Oh, spotted the fanboy. Uh, 17% difference? Really? So really think that the PS5 will run for both CPU and GPU both at FULL frequency ALL of the time, so the PS5 WILL ALWAYS be 10.3 TFLOPS?
You DO know that sony said that the frequencies are variable and that it's UP TO 10.3 flops.

Realistically, we should see 9.2 TFLOPs, which is a 31% difference in TFLOPS.

8HZYzTl.jpg

but well, we will see in the end how the games will look different. We haven't seen any comparable games, we have to wait for DF to show us the difference. Its pointless to discuss this now, lets wait for DF.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Oh, spotted the fanboy. Uh, 17% difference? Really? So really think that the PS5 will run for both CPU and GPU both at FULL frequency ALL of the time, so the PS5 WILL ALWAYS be 10.3 TFLOPS?
You DO know that sony said that the frequencies are variable and that it's UP TO 10.3 flops.

Fanboys will ignore everything Mark Cerny says and go with their own narrative.

10.3TF is based on workload, and it will maintain that if needed. It just can't run simultaneously with the high CPU clock.

This means if both are using it's peak GPU performance, then that means it is that much of a difference. It will unlikely that both will hit its max frequency on the CPU and GPU

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
I just see a trend here.

SSD won't do anything, it's just secret sauce
PS5 is a pipe dream

But whenever someone speaks of the advantages PS5 has, it's always, "Well have to wait and see."

Come one. You guys can't say we should wait, but then say it's not going to be much in the end.

8HZYzTl.jpg

but well, we will see in the end how the games will look different. We haven't seen any comparable games, we have to wait for DF to show us the difference. Its pointless to discuss this now, lets wait for DF.

Bro, you’ve been pushing this nonsense agenda and using that trash chart for way too long. Cerny literally said the PS5 wil run around 10.3TF a majority of the time, with the only time it may downclock, is when a game that pushes it to the limit appears. Even then, a 10% drop in power only accounts for a 2% drop in clock speed and that he believes this will happen very rarely. I don’t know what else he could have said. If you can’t understand, you need to level up your reading comprehension. If you don’t want to believe, you probably are acting like a fanboy.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I just see a trend here.

SSD won't do anything, it's just secret sauce
PS5 is a pipe dream

But whenever someone speaks of the advantages PS5 has, it's always, "Well have to wait and see."

Come one. You guys can't say we should wait, but then say it's not going to be much in the end.
Nobody ever said SSDs doing zero. So enough with the hyperbole. SeX has an SSD too remember? And at 2.4 gb/s is faster than most PC SSDs out there.

The point is that Sony fans since the reveal (including you) have been posting like this 3.1 gb/s SSD advantage is life changing and everything else in SeX is meh.

With all the talk about PS5's 5.5 gb/s SSD and Naughty Dog and Ready at Dawn employees drooling about it on Twitter, nobody knows exactly how fast SSDs like this on consoles will affect the games, but you better hope this 3.1 gb/s gap leads to miracles considering how Cerny talked about it for almost half an hour the other day.

The biggest thing about SSD is fast data streaming which helps with creating smooth worlds (ie. open world games) where the system can process big landscapes and tons of NPC/monsters roaming around. Nobody is promoting SSD in helping improve Madden 2021.

That's great and all. But the vast majority of games aren't even open world.

Last edited:

Goliathy

Banned
Bro, you’ve been pushing this nonsense agenda and using that trash chart for way too long. Cerny literally said the PS5 wil run around 10.3TF a majority of the time, with the only time it may downclock, is when a game that pushes it to the limit appears. Even then, a 10% drop in power only accounts for a 2% drop in clock speed and that he believes this will happen very rarely. I don’t know what else he could have said. If you can’t understand, you need to level up your reading comprehension. If you don’t want to believe, you probably are acting like a fanboy.

So, let's see:

00:38:03,429 --> 00:38:09,068
when that worst case game arrives it

00:38:06,309 --> 00:38:11,650
will run at a lower clock speed but not

00:38:09,068 --> 00:38:13,420
too much lower to reduce power by 10% it

00:38:11,650 --> 00:38:15,250
only takes a couple of percent reduction

00:38:13,420 --> 00:38:17,889
in frequency so I'd expect any down

00:38:15,250 --> 00:38:19,539
clocking to be pretty minor all things

He said "a couple". If it's only 2%, then why not just say it? Why say couple? But well, we will see in the end, maybe we will also see the console some day.. And Sony has yet to prove it. Sorry, that I don't blindly trust companies. Sorry, that I want to see proof. And so far we haven't seen much from PS5

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Nobody ever said SSDs doing zero. So enough with the hyperbole. SeX has an SSD too remember? And at 2.4 gb/s is faster than most PC SSDs out there.

The point is that Sony fans since the reveal (including you) have been posting like this 3.1 gb/s SSD advantage is life changing and everything else in SeX is meh.

With all the talk about PS5's 5.5 gb/s SSD and Naughty Dog and Ready at Dawn employees drooling about it on Twitter, nobody knows exactly how fast SSDs like this on consoles will affect the games, but you better hope this 3.1 gb/s gap leads to miracles considering how Cerny talked about it for almost half an hour the other day.
Yes, but PS5's is faster and can process data faster. That's the point.

Any no one said its doing zero? Well, people's comments are basically saying its the "secret sauce."

Goliathy

Banned
Sure....PS5 deep dive March 18, Goliathy account created March 18. Oh boy, another throwaway 11th alt account and counting...

En3pxSC.png

lol. This was the time the account was approved. Why derail the thread? lets just focus on the facts. Ok, so you are saying it will only drop 2% max and only at 1% at the time, ok, we will see who is right.

bildschirmfoto2020-03lgj0n.png

btw, why is your post to reaction score so low compared to mine? lol

Last edited:
So, let's see:

00:38:03,429 --> 00:38:09,068
when that worst case game arrives it

00:38:06,309 --> 00:38:11,650
will run at a lower clock speed but not

00:38:09,068 --> 00:38:13,420
too much lower to reduce power by 10% it

00:38:11,650 --> 00:38:15,250
only takes a couple of percent reduction

00:38:13,420 --> 00:38:17,889
in frequency so I'd expect any down

00:38:15,250 --> 00:38:19,539
clocking to be pretty minor all things

He said "a couple". If it's only 2%, then why not just say it? Why say couple? But well, we will see in the end, maybe we will also see the console some day.. And Sony has yet to prove it. Sorry, that I don't blindly trust companies. Sorry, that I want to see proof. And so far we haven't seen much from PS5

You don’t blindly trust companies, but you’ve been running up and down this forum taking everything MS says at face value? Yeah, I think I’m done listening to your trolling. Also, it’s pretty common usage of the English language that a couple stands for 2. Several would be 3 or more. Maybe you should see that instead of your blatant asininity.

-kb-

8HZYzTl.jpg

Realistically you have no idea and neither does anyone else here, the only person who does hasn't advertised the exact details.

Vroadstar

Fanboys will ignore everything Mark Cerny says and go with their own narrative.

10.3TF is based on workload, and it will maintain that if needed. It just can't run simultaneously with the high CPU clock.

This means if both are using it's peak GPU performance, then that means it is that much of a difference. It will unlikely that both will hit its max frequency on the CPU and GPU

Don't expect a proper discourse with a throwaway alt account, I bet you he won't last until the X launch, from then you will probably see his 25th throwaway alt account.

Same M.O. as the recently banned 10th alt accounts of an X fanboy (ex. using the same graphs and arguments over and over again etc.)

En3pxSC.png

Don't expect a proper discourse with a throwaway alt account, I bet you he won't last until the X launch, from then you will probably see his 25th throwaway alt account.

Same M.O. as the recently banned 10th alt accounts of an X fanboy (ex. using the same graphs and arguments over and over again etc.)

En3pxSC.png

Yeah, I just put him on ignore. The Xbox fanboys on here are obnoxious.

Goliathy

Banned
You don’t blindly trust companies, but you’ve been running up and down this forum taking everything MS says at face value? Yeah, I think I’m done listening to your trolling. Also, it’s pretty common usage of the English language that a couple stands for 2. Several would be 3 or more. Maybe you should see that instead of your blatant asininity.

from the same guy said the following:

skfowW6.png

So tell me again how did 16-bit computation RADICALLY INCREASE PERFORMANCE - double the performance - for 3rd party games? How? and where? thanks

Yeah, I will take anything this guys says for granted. PS4 PRO IS a 8.4 Tflops machine at ALL times! Amazing. All I'm saying is, give me proof and don't belive EVERYTHING large corporations tell you, they should prove it

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
from the same guy said told the following:

skfowW6.png

skfowW6.png

skfowW6.png

Mark Cery 2016 on the PS4 Pro.

Yeah, I will take anything this guys says for granted. PS4 PRO IS a 8.4 Tflops machine at ALL times! Amazing. All I'm saying is, give me proof and don't belive EVERYTHING large corporations tell you, they should prove it
What a surprise.

The guy said that after MS announced Xbox One X was going to be 6 tf.

A month after Cerny did his 8.4tf claim, he parlayed it into saying 4k res needs a minimum of 8tf...... low and behold PS4 Pro can do 8.4tf!

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
I guess when Phil said developers must deliver true 4K gaming I guess that means all enhanced Xbox one X games were native 4K.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
What a surprise.

The guy said that after MS announced Xbox One X was going to be 6 tf.

A month after Cerny did his 8.4tf claim, he parlayed it into saying 4k res needs a minimum of 8tf...... low and behold PS4 Pro can do 8.4tf!

That's not what Cerny said at all.

Top Bottom