• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jeff Gerstmann is leaving Giant Bomb

Jess Obrien stinks. Just talking over everyone and being obnoxious. The podcast in it's current form is unlistenable. I am gonna guess Jeff goes to work for Iron Galaxy or does mock review consulting. I hope he puts together another podcast but who knows.
That lady is one of the reason i stop listening. She tries to be funny but comes out really annoying. She loves insulting games and devs she dont like.

None of them are that knowledgeable about stuff happening in industry except Grub now.

MrMephistoX

he is overweight and has 2 young kids. one of em that can't take the shots yet.,
so his paranoia is not that weird imo
I get it I was just as cautious as he was being overweight my self with a young kid. The one time I let my guard down in 2+ years at Disneyland and boom my whole family got COVID and I had to get monoclonal antibodies.

TwinB242

The amount of political talk lately is completely unappealing and making me fall off of GB. I go to these type of sites for the gaming content and to be entertained, not to listen to people preach about their political leanings and complain about current U.S. politics. This might be the last year I stay subscribed to the site.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
That lady is one of the reason i stop listening. She tries to be funny but comes out really annoying. She loves insulting games and devs she dont like.

None of them are that knowledgeable about stuff happening in industry except Grub now.
She's still better than Abby was. She was just a token female who knew NOTHING about games. Her 'knowledge' were casual games that your grandma plays as well as heavy hitters like Dream Daddy, Sims 4 and Nancy Drew.

Javthusiast

Banned
The amount of political talk lately is completely unappealing and making me fall off of GB. I go to these type of sites for the gaming content and to be entertained, not to listen to people preach about their political leanings and complain about current U.S. politics. This might be the last year I stay subscribed to the site.

The fact that you were still subscribed this long for their content, which dropped so hard in quality over the last couple years, is the more surprising part here.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Here's my totally ironic multipost.

Topic: Gerstmann's doing his own thing!

qwertz12345: I listened to him and I just don't get it. Also, He's sick. He's fat. I have doubts about what he eats and how much he exercises. I also think he should be shamed because his buddy died and he's not addressing the concerns I'm raising in my head and talking about on a forum across multiple posts. What's an edit button? Oh look, an opening for a fat joke...

im-retarded-mirror-check.gif
He DOES drink too many energy drinks. But to keep bringing up that Jeff is dealing with issues because of Ryan's death YEARS ago is dumb. Both my parents died in 2020 and I'm ok. People cope and move on. I think he has (and should have) otherwise he does need major help.

Last edited:

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Losing weight can be healthy too.

I know he's overweight... And also scared of Covid...

But Covid affected overweight and unhealthy people the most. The media just decided not to talk about it - because it's politically incorrect.

I know one of the people from GB died a few years ago as a result of being overweight.

Irrespective of whether it's Covid or not... Being overweight is not healthy. Staying indoors isn't healthy either.

Like... How much exercise can you get if you stay indoors all day?

From what I can see... Jeff doesn't exactly look like the sort of person who exercises at home. Or really pays attention to what he eats.
Ryan supposedly died of heart attack due to not having his CPAP machine. He went to Las Vegas for his bachelor party, got trashed and forgot his CPAP machine. I have one and am not that overweight. You don't need to be overweight (but many are). Without it, when you don't have that air keeping your airways open then you stop breathing., usually you snore or wake yourself up trying to breathe (hence the sleeping issues). I recall that he was drunk (as one does in Las Vegas), didn't have the CPAP and I guess he was too passed out to wake himself up when he quit breathing.

So, it wasn't necessarily him being overweight that killed Ryan but it definitely was a factor.

Last edited:

Brute

I’m with you guys on this - Jess is really fucking annoying.

She annoys me so much that I’ve stopped listening. And I know many other ex-GB subscribers who feel the same.

Why/how they thought BurgerWoman would be a good hire I will never know.

Thaedolus

Interesting discussion about his decision to leave toward the beginning here. It sounds like he was pretty much in agreement with the Nextlander guys about what direction to go but was in the middle of real life shit like moving and having a kid that made him reup his contract. It sounds like eventually the corporate bullshit was not going to be his jam and his departure was more of an inevitability than any juicy drama or anything…or maybe there was and he tip toes around it.

Anyway his new logo looking like the old GB logo and some of his royalty free music sounds hilariously like the old GB theme which cracks me up. I’d rather listen to Jeff talk about weird game shit than tune into the current bombcast. The dump truck is still pretty fun tho

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69

Interesting discussion about his decision to leave toward the beginning here. It sounds like he was pretty much in agreement with the Nextlander guys about what direction to go but was in the middle of real life shit like moving and having a kid that made him reup his contract. It sounds like eventually the corporate bullshit was not going to be his jam and his departure was more of an inevitability than any juicy drama or anything…or maybe there was and he tip toes around it.

Anyway his new logo looking like the old GB logo and some of his royalty free music sounds hilariously like the old GB theme which cracks me up. I’d rather listen to Jeff talk about weird game shit than tune into the current bombcast. The dump truck is still pretty fun tho

Gerstmann solo is actually really good imo. Way better than the new bombcast. Idk man. I just can’t stan Jess and Jan seems like a nice guy but he is a dad joke machine and just kind of a bore.

Jeff should try to get Ben and somebody else in a rotating mic situation. Jeff and Ben dump truck was really good.

Thaedolus

Gerstmann solo is actually really good imo. Way better than the new bombcast. Idk man. I just can’t stan Jess and Jan seems like a nice guy but he is a dad joke machine and just kind of a bore.

Jeff should try to get Ben and somebody else in a rotating mic situation. Jeff and Ben dump truck was really good.
I agree, I actually liked just Ben and Jeff together. In fact I think Jeff is at his best when he's riffing off someone totally weird like Dan with All Systems Goku, or when he's like a generation apart from someone like Ben, who himself is weird and quirky. I don't get the "Jeff just hates everything" critique because he very clearly gets excited about certain things, and I love listening to his stories about the old times, and share his passion for retro shit. It's probably why we both love the Steam Deck and MiSTER scene so much.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
So I listened to the interview. Jeff's departure makes more sense but still, why the sudden departure? It seems more likely to me that they had a dispute during the contract negotiation. I could see that being 100% mutual. Even so, why the awkward departure & notice? No forethought into the announcement and no goodbye stream makes me feel like there were some hard feelings in there somewhere.

I think it's telling as well that GB did a 180 on the varied & 'new' content. They pushed out new creators and whatnot, trying to be the next Machima or something. That failed, so now they are back to the boiler template segments like before. Also weird that they specifically hired a Content Director... That seems to me to be a big piece of the puzzle. At work, when someone leaves and there is a massive need that was missing in the previous employee, the job description gets changed and you field candidates around that.

There's definitely some behind-the-scenes bullshit that went down. Truth is, I'm almost certain it is mostly boring internal politic shit. Probably just views/premium subs were down and Jeff was burnt out.

Shifty

Hold on, new hire Jess is the IRL version of Voidburger?

Well sheesh, that's two fine productions she's ruined. First Chip Cheezum, and now Giant Bomb.

teezzy

Banned

This is the exact punk rock attitude which made GB so appealing to begin with. It's that seemingly effortless irreverence which I'm assuming the new GB crew is going to try and ham-fist to appeal to old GB fans now that nobody who matters apart from Dan is still around.

Dan has all the charisma in the world and a very earnest esoteric talent set. I doubt he'll be able to drag all that dead weight though. I bet dude just wants a paycheck tbh

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
GB used to be the absolute best.

Thankfully all those old videos are still available.

Crazy to think this was 8 years ago!

Better times. I miss the old Giant Bomb. All good things come to an end, and Ryan's unfortunate passing left a gaping hole that could never be filled, but man that podcast and their videos got me through so many rough days when I was working a boring contract at a shitty little data center. Made the time fly.

small_law

I dumped GB as soon as Jeff left. I also Canned every sub I had for game spot on every platform. Different reasons for each. Game spot got political and super super boring Compared to 10 or 15 years ago, but at least it’s organized and you can listen to it. GB podcast for the past year Has been an meth addict fever dream. You don’t have to talk about video games all time, But at least have lightly structured segments so the audience Doesn’t have to work to follow along.

Himuro

Same story as Rockpapershotgun:

1. Site hires woke staff
2. Community warns about unhealthy dynamic
3. Loyal fans are getting banned
4. Woke staff slowly takes over the site
5. Original members leave
6. Community dies

What remains is a husk of its former self, artificially kept on life support to leech the last few clicks.
I went to RPS the other week and they have paid content and I was just like,"what."

replicant-

That's really sad...

No wonder so many people are overweight and have no social skills.

Jeff is literally promoting an awful lifestyle. Both for himself, and the people that look up to him.

Your condesending attitude is making me feel ill. GG you worked through Covid. Go you.

Thaedolus

Yeah Ben and Jeff are good together. I know nothing about fighting games or evo but their takes make me interested. I hope he keeps getting more guests or does more guest spots, would listen to him on Nextlander if they invite him.

Ryuji Goda

Still not sure how to feel about the podcast. 3 hours is too long, especially if it’s one person rambling into a microphone. I miss the dynamic of people talking to eachother

Top Bottom