• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jeff Grubb: Xbox originally planed to release 9 exclusive games in 2023

Warablo

I hope they are good, but the IP's don't mean too much to me. Hellblade 2 could be pretty cool if its more in depth.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Guys a trusted source told me Sony was planning to release 6 exclusives next year.
Spiderman 2
Wolverine
TLOU Factions
New IP by Heaven, Bend and Asobi.

But they probably won't anymore so if they don't it doesn't mean I'm full of shit.

I think Spiderman 2 and Factions have a good chance but Wolverine will probably get pushed.

Yes I'll take an insider tag, thx.
Smashed that like button and subscribed. I’ll be sure to sign up for your OnlyFans Patreon.

Last edited:
Even if this were true, which I doubt, it would be stupid of Xbox to release that many games in one year. They'd need to hold some back or they would end up in the same situation as this year with nothing to release in 2024 or 2025.
The problem is they've taken long enough to get like Nintendo and Sony by releasing new IPs for their new console or service. They have sone catching up to do. Unless they're relying on gamepass loyalty outlasting the oversaturation of indie games in between releases, they'll make Sony and Nintendo look better if they dont come clawing back in 2023.

yurinka

Hellblade 2, Perfect Dark, Fable, Everwild (I don't know about the other ones) won't be close at all from being ready for 2023 and MS knew it in 2021. This list is pure fanboy fantasy.

His source must be the Nvidia guy who filled the leaked list, where MS had over a dozen AAA games listed to be released in 2022, being Scalebound one of them.

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I'd say my list is more accurate than Grubbs.

I'm thinking Redfall, Starfield, Forza, and Avowed or Hellblade. In that order, per quarter.

And that would be a huge year. Nine games would be a waste.

Last edited:
This list is pure fanboy fantasy. Hellblade 2, Perfect Dark, Fable, Everwild (I don't know about the other ones) won't be close at all from being ready for 2023 and MS knew it in 2021.

His source must be the Nvidia guy who filled the leaked list, where MS had over a dozen AAA games listed for 2022.

I’m convinced more and more everyday half the shit grubb leaks is bullshit that can either be easily guessed or never proven incorrect.

I will give him props on the kojima leak though. A broken clock…

proandrad

IXU4GCy.jpg
children talking GIF by South Park

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Well technically, you can't call it a delay if they never officially announced a release date. Perfect Dark, Contraband and Everwild in 2023? I wouldn't have believed that even if they gave that date. What were they thinking?

recursive

Based on what we know they're releasing next year, barring some extreme last minute delays, they're well on their way to do the 'one first party game per quarter'.

I don't see Everwild releasing any time soon, not before 2025. But I will be pleasantly surprised if Hellblade 2 and Avowed are 2023 releases.
What has been announced to release next year?

Gravemind

I dont believe for one second that Fable or Avowed were ever slated or even expected to release in 2023. No way no how.

Nice try Grubb.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
What has been announced to release next year?

So far ?

Starfield, Redfall, Forza Motorsport. These were all cited as releasing in the next 12 months in their June show. (Ghostwire will also release in March/April, which makes it the 4th first party game I guess).

The above 3 first party games could very well get delayed into the second half, but we can't say that until it happens.

Nothing from the second half of the year has been officially announced. Games like Hellblade, Avowed, Coalition's smaller game etc are all possible candidates.

Last edited:

johnjohn

2023 onwards is going to be absolutely insane for Xbox, and that's even before you take Activision Blizzard into consideration. We could be getting 6+ AAA releases a year going forward.
Forget 9. Focus on just getting 3 high quality games out in a year. That's a good start. Their already 1 down with starfield.
Starfield, Redfall, Forza, and Minecraft Legends are all already announced for the first half of 2023, and it's safe to say they're all going to be high quality releases based on the developers.

Last edited:

Rykan

they have like 30 studios. you would think they would drop some games from time to time. especially after punting the entire year of 2022. i wonder what iD is doing.
It's even worse when you look at the entire context.

Xbox one had almost no games released in the last few years of its cycle. Most of us probably assumed this was because next gen was approaching: Surely MS must be gearing up for their new system? Well lo and behold, the Series consoles launched with what is probably the single worst launch lineup of any major console with not a single exclusive game.

We're now 2 years in and the only two highlights have been Halo and Forza. It's frankly absurd how long its taking to release a decent amount of games.

adamsapple

It's even worse when you look at the entire context.

Xbox one had almost no games released in the last few years of its cycle.

That's .. kinda not true tho.

Between 2019 and 2020 Gears Tactics, Ori and the Will of the Wisps, Sea of Thieves, Tell me Why, the shitty Battletoads re-release/remake, Minecraft Dungeons, Bleeding Edge, Gears 5 and Crackdown 3 under the Xbox publishing banner for Xbox One.

That is a decent amount of games in a 2 year period by a single publisher.

2022 has been an exceptionally barren year in big part because games that were scheduled to come out this year got delayed into next for covid or whatever reason. It really isn't all that bad when you look at it in context, like you said. The delayed games will come out in 2023, they're not getting canceled or anything.

Last edited:

johnjohn

it's funny how people think they will magically drop 5+ AAA exclusives In a year given their chronic management problems. you will be lucky to get 1-2 releases on time that actually feel complete unlike Infinite.
I don't think anyone thinks it's magic. They have 30+ internal studios working on games in addition to their publishing partners, and they already have 5 first party games scheduled for the first half of next year. Do you think gong forward they'll only be able to release 1-2 AAA games a year?

Rykan

That's .. kinda not true tho.

Between 2019 and 2020 Gears Tactics, Ori and the Will of the Wisps, Sea of Thieves, Tell me Why, the shitty Battletoads re-release/remake, Minecraft Dungeons, Bleeding Edge, Gears 5 and Crackdown 3 under the Xbox publishing banner for Xbox One.

That is a decent amount of games in a 2 year period by a single publisher.

2022 has been an exceptionally barren year in big part because games that were scheduled to come out this year got delayed into next for covid or whatever reason. It really isn't all that bad when you look at it in context, like you said. The delayed games will come out in 2023, they're not getting canceled or anything.
I should have probably been more specific in my original post: Most of these games are low profile and/or simply not good. Sea of Thieves was actually released in 2018 and out of the games you listed, only Gears Tactics and Gears 5 are big budget, high profile games that are actually good.

The contract between that period with Playstation is pretty big. Especially if we extend to 2022.

Last edited:
3 exclusives a year is goos, 4 is great, 5 is spectacular, 5 6 is overwhelming.

Starfield, HB2, Redfall, Contraband and Avowed would be a spectacular year. I would be be happy with starfield, avowed and tic tac tow to be fair.

adamsapple

3 exclusives a year is goos, 4 is great, 5 is spectacular, 5 6 is overwhelming.

Starfield, HB2, Redfall, Contraband and Avowed would be a spectacular year. I would be be happy with starfield, avowed and tic tac tow to be fair.

Don't forget Motorsport. Unless it also gets announced as a cross-gen game in the coming months, it's looking out to be the first real next gen showcase racer.

Ozriel

M$FT
it's funny how people think they will magically drop 5+ AAA exclusives In a year given their chronic management problems. you will be lucky to get 1-2 releases on time that actually feel complete unlike Infinite.

It’s very likely we’re getting 5+ since we already know about Starfield, Redfall and Forza Motorsport, and none of these suffer from ‘chronic mismanagement’. Where’s the management issues at Playground (Fable), Ninja Theory (Hellblade 2), Coalition, InXile and Obsidian (Avowed)?

I dont believe for one second that Fable or Avowed were ever slated or even expected to release in 2023. No way no how.

…and this is based on?

Hellblade 2, Perfect Dark, Fable, Everwild (I don't know about the other ones) won't be close at all from being ready for 2023 and MS knew it in 2021. This list is pure fanboy fantasy.

It does seem like pure fanboy fantasy to speculate about the likes of Hellblade 2 and Fable being out of the 2023 running with nothing to back it up.

Elginer

There's a new one. They had planned for next year to be the year for Xbox but it'll probably be the year after then. Or after that too maybe?

And Starfield looks like shit too, I so regret buying my Series S...
That’s some ace trolling sir 😂

Elginer

Starfield, Redfall, and like 2 more heavy hitters and it will be golden. Looking forward to the next two years from Xbox

Calverz

Gold Member
2023 going to be year off the X. Lineup looks incredible. I can’t see half of them releasing in 2023 though.

supernova8

Banned
  • Hellblade 2 - fucking better come in 2023. They announced it in 2019 and all we've had is one gameplay sequence that was mostly cutscene anyway.
  • Perfect Dark - given that we haven't seen any gameplay (or even in-engine footage) I find it hard to believe that this would come in 2023.
  • Fable - basically same as above.
  • Contraband - not interested at all but I guess it could come in 2023?
  • Avowed - same as PD and Fable, not coming in 2023, obviously.
  • Everwild - wouldn't be surprised if they've already canned it.
  • New games from InXile, Compulsion and Coalition (not Gears 6) - I'd only be interested in Gears 6 so anything else can go suck a dick.
Basically Hellblade 2 in 2023, right? Or will still not put out a release and keep walking around Icelandic mountains shouting at rocks?

pasterpl

We already know what is coming to Xbox until June 2023, in the next e3 style session in June 2023 we will find out what is slated for release q3 and q4 2023. Any info etc we are getting now is pure speculation.

jhjfss

2023 lineup (1st/2nd party):

1. Minecraft Legends
  2. Ara: History Untold
  3. Ghostwire Tokyo Port
  4. Diablo 4
  5. Forza Motorsport
  6. Starfield
  7. Redfall
Not bad, is it?

adamsapple

I just want Starfield and Redfall to make first half of 2023.

Another one for holidays and it will be great year.

Redfall is a lot more likely to release in the first half. I'm confident they're gonna try their best to get Starfield out by Summer as well, but you never know with these things.

1. Minecraft Legends
  3. Ghostwire Tokyo Port
  4. Diablo 4
  5. Forza Motorsport
  6. Starfield
  7. Redfall
Not bad, is it?

Not bad at all, hopefully the second half of 2023 has a couple more of those xbox games that have been in gestation for a while come out.

Zathalus

1. Minecraft Legends
  3. Ghostwire Tokyo Port
  4. Diablo 4
  5. Forza Motorsport
  6. Starfield
  7. Redfall
Not bad, is it?
I'd hope Hellblade II as well, considering by next year it would have been in development for over 5 years.

But who knows.

Top Bottom