• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jeff Grubb: State of Play event scheduled for May

I may have reached my limit on being a "cynical gamer" but is anyone else also having that feeling opposite of excitement for PlayStation altogether? I mean, maybe Ive changed too much but I remember like planning 1 week ahead of E3 press conferences just to get delighted with surprises and stuff of what was coming next. Now I feel almost nothing when this state of play are announced.
how about 'opposite of excitement for gaming altogether'? i'm finishing up persona 3 reload now before getting into dragon's dogma 2, so it's not like i'm no longer enjoying gaming, but 'excitement'? I can't really think of anything upcoming that i'm even especially interested in, never mind excited about. which's something i'm pretty sure was never the case up till the last 4-5 years?...

war never changes. but, for me, anyway, gaming seems to've...

Last edited:

Metnut

DQ12 trailer
Ghost of Tsushima 2 reveal
Wolverine trailer
Naughty Dog teaser
Bluepoint project reveal
Returnal 2 reveal (or new ip reveal from HM)

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
DQ12 trailer
Wolverine trailer
Naughty Dog teaser
Bluepoint project reveal
Interested in what Bluepoint are working on. ND would get there own SOP for a new IP i think, might get a teaser if we are lucky. Wolverine, and Ghost I have zero interest in unless the formula is changed up significantly in both.

sachos

If it is a Showcase level show i really hope they up their game, last Showcase was pretty bad. You think they would show the Pro this early? Might kill PS5 sales until the holidays.

I may have reached my limit on being a "cynical gamer" but is anyone else also having that feeling opposite of excitement for PlayStation altogether? I mean, maybe Ive changed too much but I remember like planning 1 week ahead of E3 press conferences just to get delighted with surprises and stuff of what was coming next. Now I feel almost nothing when this state of play are announced.
Guess it depends on what you mean. I'm still excited for PlayStation announcements because they still make great games. The quantity has fallen off from the ps3 era but the quality is still there.

But if you just mean for the SoPs themselves, I think that's hard to get excited for, especially comparing to E3s back in the day. SoPs are typically shorter, have multiple a year and a lot of times Sony tells what the biggest game that's gonna be shown is ahead of time. Not something that people are gonna be heavily anxious for. Even Grubb mentioned that this could be a showcase instead but I could see being a little skeptical still. The last showcase Sony had was a complete failure and waste of time and they didn't have one in 2022. So it's been a bit.

iu

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
DQ12 trailer
Wolverine trailer
Naughty Dog teaser
Bluepoint project reveal
Returnal 2 reveal (or new ip reveal from HM)
You must love disappointment lol.

Also, Jeff doesn't know shit. He's going by the fact that it's March April, and historically, the last few years there's been a State of Play in May.

That's like me saying "There will most likely be a Super Bowl in February of 2025"

No shit...

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

Youve changed too much.

Personally, I thnk the world in gfaeneral, not just gaming, is generally more cynical these days.

Its almostr as if cynism is trending or some shit like that.

These days, pretty much everything announced is met with some form of cynism. I can remember last year when sony announced a number of GAAS trype titles how the internet generally reacted. ANd now everyone seems to be forgetting that Helldivers 2 was one of those games highlighted. And I am sure I have mentioned this elsewhere, but by the end of this year, sony would have released or have exclusives to the tune of what? 3 or four titles? And we are in april... what more do people want?

Yet all it takes is one rumor and y'all are creating hype train threads... in the midst of all of this "mediocrity".
See my point?

Do tell, what is this mediocrity you speak of?

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
Youve changed too much.

Personally, I thnk the world in gfaeneral, not just gaming, is generally more cynical these days.

These days, pretty much everything announced is met with some form of cynism. I can remember last year when sony announced a number of GAAS trype titles how the internet generally reacted. ANd now everyone seems to be forgetting that Helldivers 2 was one of those games highlighted. And I am sure I have mentioned this elsewhere, but by the end of this year, sony would have released or have exclusives to the tune of what? 3 or four titles? And we are in april... what more do people want?
Yeah. Events are only good for hyping you up in the moment. They are never an indicator of how things will actually be. So some events will seem lame but actually be fire in hindsight. Where others will seem badass, but would have actually been duds.

As you said, had we known at the time how great Helldivers 2 was going to be, Sony's showcase would have been a bit more fondly remembered. If Fairgames, Concord, and Marathon come out as solid titles at least, in any combination, you'd damn near owe Sony an apology. Were it not for them being only CG.

Quantum253

Disappointed Malcolm In The Middle GIF by Malcolm France

JaksGhost

Youve changed too much.

See my point?

Do tell, what is this mediocrity you speak of?
I put it in quotes for sarcasm due to all of the gloom on the first page. I personally have been enjoying myself recently with gaming.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
you are not the only one. ive been ringing alarm bells for years because sony was straight up missing E3s fpr several years and then turning in extremely underwhelming state of plays with indie trash and not to mention all the bad third party money hats like ghostwire tokyo, forspoken and deathloop they tried shoving down our throats conference after conference. We are not fans of playstation because of games from B-tier third party devs. We like sonys own A-tier lineup and honestly we didnt get much of that and when we did it was mostly straight sequels that felt more like a continuation instead of the generational leap you would expect from these talented studios.

Didnt help that they focused on GaaS trash last year. But thankfully the response was so overwhelmingly negative that they must have learned a lesson or two. I dont think ive ever seen people come together to hate a conference like that since maybe the x1 reveal conference.

Another good news is that they have ND, SSM, Sucker Punch, Bend, Bluepoint, Team Asobi all working on new IPs that are likely ready for a reveal this E3. its possible that they fuck it up again this year and miss it, but i think we will see most of these studios show up with insane looking stuff like 1943 that will make you feel young again.

no offense to insomniac but they are not up there with SSM, ND and GG, and they have had to shoulder all the weight of showing what this console is capable of. They have done a fairly decent job but those other studios are going to blow away everyone when the finally show their games. And there is a very good chance that we see a massive show from sony this year.

StereoVsn

I can’t muster any excitement for this. The next game I want to see out of Sony is Ghost of Tsushima 2.

Don’t really have any hype even for Wolverine considering it’s going to be full of “Messages for Modern Audiences” in same manner as Spider-Man 2. Meh.

Blindy

Please Sony don't put this deadsmack in the middle of a workweek at 5-6PM EST. Want to actually watch your event live, thx.

nial

Gold Member
It could be a good showcase if Sony doesn't feel lke trolling us again.
Bungie - Marathon for 2025*, or at least that's what was leaked, isn't it?
Firesprite - Project Heartbreak for 2025*, somewhat of a high chance of it being a Siren game.
Firewalk Studios - Gameplay for Concord, releasing this year.
Guerrilla Games - Horizon Online for 2025* and Horizon 3 for 2026*, IMO.
Haven Studios - Fairgame$ should be for 2025*.
Housemarque - New IP for 2025*.
Media Molecule - Working on a new project, which I feel will be LittleBigPlanet 4, for 2025/2026*.
Naughty Dog - New IP for 2025*, IMO.
Nixxes Software - The Last of Us Part II Remastered PC port for later this year*.
Polyphony Digital - Gran Turismo 8 for late 2025/early to mid 2026*.
Santa Monica Studio - New IP in development for several years, should be out by next year*.
Sucker Punch Productions - Ghost of Tsushima 2 for mid 2025*.
Team Asobi - Astro Bot for later this year*. Maybe Gravity Rush 2 Remastered?
XDEV Global - Death Stranding 2: On the Beach for 2025, Until Dawn for later this year, and Lost Soul Aside and Convallaria for H2 2024*.
XDEV could have new announcements there, too (like Project Carbon). It's almost impossible to know.

*personal guesses, years not really confirmed
Excepto for maybe both Horizon 3 and Gran Turismo 8, it's a reasonable list for me.
I don't expect any of their other studios to show up, I mean, Wolverine is slated for late 2026, right? No chance of it to be there.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I'd suspect it'd be a big show. The new interim CEO will want to make some noise and everyone under him will want to cement their position.

It fits with Sony's Mo currently. They have been releasing games left and right on PS5 from their studios or 3rd party publishers since January to April. We don't know much from what they have for the 2nd half of the year so may fits.

Borowski_1

Will it be horse shit like the one last year?

Hard to expect anything good from Playstation these days. No hype, no cool announcements, no first-party roadmap at all....

bitbydeath

It could be a good showcase if Sony doesn't feel lke trolling us again.

Excepto for maybe both Horizon 3 and Gran Turismo 8, it's a reasonable list for me.
I don't expect any of their other studios to show up, I mean, Wolverine is slated for late 2026, right? No chance of it to be there.
Venom is scheduled to arrive before Wolverine, for 2025.

images

I’m keeping my expectations low, Sony Bend, Team Asobi, and Insomniac are most likely to be announce new stuff. Not expecting much else aside from what’s already been revealed.

Last edited:

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
State of Play
Is scheduled for May
Much to my dismay
That from Grubb's mouth does say
For if asked do I believe him
Most times and three quarters do I reply
Nay
If Grubb is correct, on my failures I'll lay
But I still like women
And Jeff Grubb is

Grey hahahaha you thought i was gonna perform a bigot or whatever kek

Perrott

Gold Member
Firesprite - Project Heartbreak for 2025*, somewhat of a high chance of it being a Siren game.
I believe Project Heartbreak - being a horror narrative adventure game with a branching storyline, based on an existing Sony IP and set during contemporary times on an island as well as reportedly aimed at a teen/young adult demographic - actually does have much higher chances of being an Until Dawn sequel with a different cast of characters, especially when considering the push that franchise will be getting through the upcoming remake and movie, rather than a Siren game.

That said, DuskGolem mentioned at the end of 2022 that he was anticipating the arrival of an unannounced horror game remake from a dormant franchise (no releases over the past decade) in 2023. Nothing did seem to come to fruition on that front last year, but we did get a new Siren trademark from Sony, so maybe it was that and perhaps still on the table. I wonder who could be up to such task though.

Last edited:

nial

Gold Member
I believe Project Heartbreak - being a horror narrative adventure game with a branching storyline, based on an existing Sony IP and set during contemporary times on an island - actually does have much higher chances of being an Until Dawn sequel with a different cast of characters, especially when considering the push that franchise will be getting through the upcoming remake and movie, rather than a Siren game.
Until Dawn was my first thought as well, but there's something off about it.
Why would SIE contract Ballistic Moon (made up by former Supermassive employees) to remake UD, only to then have Firesprite make the sequel? It just doesn't make that much sense to me.
Siren isn't that much of a forgotten IP either; SIE Japan celebrates its anniversary every year, and they even remastered its OST in 2023, plus the trademark thing that you mentioned.

Last edited:

Perrott

Gold Member
Until Dawn was my first thought as well, but there's something off about it.
Why would SIE contract Ballistic Moon (made up by former Supermassive employees) to remake UD, only to then have Firesprite make the sequel? It just doesn't make that much sense for me.
Siren isn't that much of a forgotten IP either; SIE Japan celebrates its anniversary every year, and they even remastered its OST in 2023, plus the trademark thing that you mentioned.
Perhaps the idea to remake Until Dawn came much later and by that point Firesprite, which had been suffering from poor management and bleeding talent since the acquisition, simply couldn't accomodate the development of the remake in parallel to Project Heartbreak.

nial

Gold Member
Perhaps the idea to remake Until Dawn came much later and by that point Firesprite, which had been suffering from poor management and bleeding talent since the acquisition, simply couldn't accomodate the development of the remake in parallel to Project Heartbreak.
Watch it being Rule of Rose, lol.

StueyDuck

I hate to be super hyperbolic here, but this one really could be the straw to break the camels back for me...

Apart from ds2 literally nothing in the AAA gaming space looks new or interesting to me.

I might sell my consoles and just stick to pc soon enough.

Last edited:

makaveli60

Same here, but I wonder how much of that is just getting older? I'm about to be 44. I'm just more numb to everything now and can't get as excited about things as I used to.

Also, I think the stupid long lead times for everyone that isn't Nintendo killed it for me. Seeing a game announced with no date in sight, and then seeing trailers and marketing hype for 2-3 years before it finally comes out is just blah. I would be a lot more excited if companies were not allowed to even announce a game less than 12 months from release.

Oh, and IDGAF about anything Sony has to say until they announce a Bloodborne remake. :messenger_pouting:
No, it’s not your age. It‘s that the entertainment industry is going downhill for many years now. It’s obvious to me because I can still find the occasional movie (Dune Part Two) and game (Cyberpunk 2077) that show me that the potential and talent is there to amaze me but there are certain factors influencing the industry in really bad ways that result in shitty attitude, decisions and quality generally.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
After the GaaS stravaganza show and than the second/third party show.. time for first party ? ... sees "Silent Hill 2 date will be revealed" .....welp

Perrott

Gold Member
After the GaaS stravaganza show and than the second/third party show.. time for first party ? ... sees "Silent Hill 2 date will be revealed" .....welp
That only means that Grubb caught wind of there being a PlayStation event because he's specifically heard that Silent Hill 2's release date trailer would be in it.

It doesn't negate a major first-party presence at the show, which going by common sense, is to be expected.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
That only means that Grubb caught wind of there being a PlayStation event because he's specifically heard that Silent Hill 2's release date trailer would be in it.

It doesn't negate a major first-party presence at the show, which going by common sense, is to be expected.
Probably wolverine ... they have to show something.. and is probably it if I have to guess...

(I aint couting gaas/multiplayer)

But yeah.. is going to be gaas, third party, wolverine (at most).

Perrott

Gold Member
Probably wolverine ... they have to show something.. and is probably it if I have to guess...

(I aint couting gaas/multiplayer)

But yeah.. is going to be gaas, third party, wolverine (at most).
Not counting live-service games and neither Wolverine, since that's seemingly 2026 and there's Venom coming out first, I guess this is what's reasonable to expect from first-party:
  • Intergalactic: The Heretic Prophet – Trademark filled early this year, probably Cory Barlog's game.
  • New sci-fi TPS/RPG IP – Leaked by DuskGolem in 2022, of which there was prototype footage making the rounds. European studio, maybe internal. Very far along.
  • Ghost of Tsushima sequel – According to the leaker that disclosed the details regarding the original game's PC port.
  • Astro-Bot sequel – Which might as well be coming out this year, according to Jeff Grubb.
  • Horizon: Zero Dawn remake – Leaked a couple of years ago. Might be the flagship PS5 Pro launch game.
  • Until Dawn remake – Coming later this year.
  • Gravity Rush 2 remaster – Heavily rumored by reliable individuals within the Gravity Rush community. Allegedly coming out this summer.
This is the kind of stuff that I'd say should be locked down for the show, in addition to live-services such as Concord and Fairgame$, but you never know if they'll want to drop a bomb of something major coming out beyond next year, such as probably Naughty Dog, FromSoftware or Bend new IPs.

Top Bottom