• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jez Corden: "100% Steam is coming to Xbox"

Killjoy-NL

Sony is far more adept at destroying some franchises (Final Fantasy) and even some countries console markets (Japan).

I have far more faith in MS cause they focus on engagement. Which directly means if your players are enjoying your games or not.
How is Sony destroying Final Fantasy?

mdkirby

Queue Sony releasing their own PC launcher….and switching to “day one with psn pc” and “year 2 steam” where they bump the prices up 10% 🤣

I can see MS going this path since it would get a lot of attention from PC users who have invested much money on their Steam library as it would provide a console which can rival any mid-range gaming PC for cheap, quieter and smaller to be placed in any living room, so they could play their Steam library from another device (couch gaming, right?). MS would get a cut from sales made on Steam from their ecosystem (XBOX devices), so it's benefit for MS, plus offering their own Store and Game Pass, alongside physical games. Also MS would be preparing ground for the UE to force consoles be open to third party stores, as they already did with Apple, so MS would be ready for that.

I don't see any negative on this approach, actually that would probably boost sales of their XBOX devices.

Last edited:

Gudji

No clear cut direction to Square Enix over what will make it appealing to wide demographic.

They are platform holder, its their job to figure out gameplay loops and trends that will appeal to everyone.
Exactly and while they're at it they could also have given arcane, bethesda and ninja theory some help with direction.

Last edited:

Ogbert

It’s pitiful how the only way you can make an MS product attractive is by turning it into something else.

Anyway, not happening.

For the record however, I’d buy one.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Is this this same person who set fire to his xbox a few weeks ago?

* Might not actually have set fire to it but had a meltdown when the PS5 games were announced?

Killjoy-NL

What type of game will get Japan to start playing on consoles again??

They need to figure that out.

Once they set that, pubs like SE will follow.
Maybe no type of game will cause that shift. Seems like the Japanese market shifted anyway.

But holding one company responsible for a seperate companies business is kind of a weird take.

You'd have a point if Sony owned SE, but that isn't the case.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
F0EAtF3.png

100% bullshit.
"100%. Definitely. Probably!"

When MS have been fighting with Valve over Windows vs. Linux gaming, and they find themselves releasing a Linux console running Steam and Steam OS, losing money on hardware and making money for Valve.
ypIYwDI.png

Astray

I don't see any negative on this approach, actually that would probably boost sales of their XBOX devices.
The downside is you won't have Microsoft subsidies on those machines anymore.

Why take a loss (or even reduced margin) on the machine when you are basically giving away the software royalties to other stores?

This will be a rebadged pre-built pc with all the lack of value for money that pre-builts are.

Kokoloko85

It makes sense for Steam.
But why would Xbox want this? Its just gonna take away more sales from
xbox/ms store

Xbox really just wants to fuck the console market up for Sony as a going away present

So what would be currently the negatives by bringing third-party stores to XBOX or any other console? Genuinely asking
To the consumers, sure, you get everything, sounds dope.

To MS - why would anyone buy anything on XBOX store again? If you're making a pc and not making the money off the back of game sales, how are you selling this at a reasonable price? Is MS prepared to support the complexity of a multi-platform solution within the xbox ecosystem? If it's just a PC, what's the appeal here for the consumer unless it's cheaper/subsidized?

For Valve, why bother giving MS a cut of sales and supporting software on another platform for a small amount of hardware?

Last edited:
To the consumers, sure, you get everything, sounds dope.

To MS - why would anyone buy anything on XBOX store again? If you're making a pc and not making the money off the back of game sales, how are you selling this at a reasonable price? Is MS prepared to support the complexity of a multi-platform solution within the xbox ecosystem? If it's just a PC, what's the appeal here for the consumer unless it's cheaper/subsidized?

For Valve, why bother giving MS a cut of sales and supporting software on another platform for a small amount of hardware?

Ok, so what is the negative? MS would be losing sales against the Steam store, ok it makes sense. However on the other hand they would be getting a bigger audience into their ecosystem, and that has a price specially when the opens the door to convert those customers into GP subscribers.

This is just a rumor and we lack of any detail it might include if it was real, e.g: Microsoft titles not available at the Steam store, or any other concession as Steam did back in the day with NVIDIA to offer Steam in GFN. Only a limited amount of titles are available on GFN while other publishers are against this, but in the end Steam supports GFN. Also, Steam would expand its customer base, those people not familiar with PCs, by leveraging the XBOX ecosystem.

For us consumers this would be a win-win situation, and that is what matters most to me as a gamer, there's no con on this if true.

Ok, so what is the negative? MS would be losing sales against the Steam store, ok it makes sense. However on the other hand they would be getting a bigger audience into their ecosystem, and that has a price specially when the opens the door to convert those customers into GP subscribers.

This is just a rumor and we lack of any detail it might include if it was real, e.g: Microsoft titles not available at the Steam store, or any other concession as Steam did back in the day with NVIDIA to offer Steam in GFN. Only a limited amount of titles are available on GFN while other publishers are against this, but in the end Steam supports GFN. Also, Steam would expand its customer base, those people not familiar with PCs, by leveraging the XBOX ecosystem.

For us consumers this would be a win-win situation, and that is what matters most to me as a gamer, there's no con on this if true.
if they want more pc gamepass numbers, make a pc gamepass client that isn’t a pile of shit, it’s an easy solution.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Cue gradual rebrand

"now Steam is called Xbox Steam!"

"Now Xbox Steam integrates with Xbox for Windows!"
And what’s funny is folks tell themselves this. I had someone yesterday try to sell me on the idea that if it’s a Microsoft published game on Steam (thread), it is a topic about Xbox. 😜

Last edited:
if they want more pc gamepass numbers, make a pc gamepass client that isn’t a pile of shit, it’s an easy solution.

This has nothing to do with bring Steam or any other third-party store such as EGS or GOG to XBOX. Also though I had some issues with local streaming my SX to my rig using the remote feature on the XBOX app I can't complain, all of the games I've downloaded or played from the cloud worked without hassle, I guess I just got lucky?

In the end, as a gamer I see a lot of value if MS/Sony would bring third-party stores to my SX/PS5 since I would be able to play the games I payed on the Steam store so I don't have to double dip, or even triple dip if you own a PC, SX and PS5.

Sanepar

Sony is far more adept at destroying some franchises (Final Fantasy) and even some countries console markets (Japan).

I have far more faith in MS cause they focus on engagement. Which directly means if your players are enjoying your games or not.
After everything someone who still has faith in Microsoft in games or is dumb or naive.

This has nothing to do with bring Steam or any other third-party store such as EGS or GOG to XBOX. Also though I had some issues with local streaming my SX to my rig using the remote feature on the XBOX app I can't complain, all of the games I've downloaded or played from the cloud worked without hassle, I guess I just got lucky?

In the end, as a gamer I see a lot of value if MS/Sony would bring third-party stores to my SX/PS5 since I would be able to play the games I payed on the Steam store so I don't have to double dip, or even triple dip if you own a PC, SX and PS5.
So again, if the hardware itself is break even, and you’re giving all your money to Steam who have been convinced to give a cut to Sony or MS, Sony and MS are not going to be making enough margins to support the hardware, so what’s the point for them vs what they have now which is buy our subsidized hardware and we make the money off the software and exclusives.

If you bring your own games you bought from steam, either previously or from third party sellers, then Sony/ms are getting nothing.

Last edited:
So again, if the hardware itself is break even, and you’re giving all your money to Steam who have been convinced to give a cut to Sony or MS, Sony and MS are not going to be making enough margins to support the hardware, so what’s the point for them vs what they have now which is buy our subsidized hardware and we make the money off the software and exclusives.

If you bring your own games you bought from steam, either previously or from third party sellers, then Sony/ms are getting nothing.
Xbox customers had been used to not buying games for so long, they forgot that companies are suppose to earn a profit.
Xbox gamers assumed that companies are suppose to run at a loss every year to keep gamers happy just because. That is why Xbox is dying.

MS would face a trade-off, getting more users into their ecosystem while facing the risk of these users purchasing titles available on the Steam Store app instead of the XBOX one, however IF REAL is yet to see the pricing and the availability of all titles, plus what kind of cut would MS get if games were purchased through the Steam store.

All this discussion is based on a rumor, but again to me as a multiplatform gamer who relies on Steam mostly it would be a great feature and would make me place a XBOX on my living room.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member

I’m curious as to how Sony destroyed Final Fantasy. Hell, how did they destroy Japan’s console market?

There are head-scratchers and then there are posts like this.

Last edited:
Top Bottom