• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jez Cordez: Sources say Xbox in talks to bring FFVII:Intergrade to Xbox

Draugoth

Gold Member
Final-Fantasy-VII-Remake-Intergrade-key-visual.jpg

According to Jez Corden of Windows Central, a well-known voice within the Microsoft Gaming community, Via Eurogamer , Phil Spencer is negotiating with Square enix for the arrival of Final Fantasy 7 Remake on his company's consoles.

I got evidence tentatively that there are discussions on Final Fantasy VII coming to Xbox

Corden says that nothing is confirmed, but according to his sources, negotiations are underway about Final Fantasy 7 Remake on the Xbox Series and this could result in the arrival of one of the most desired games by the Microsoft Gaming community.

OverHeat

« generous god »

According to Jez Corden of Windows Central, a well-known voice within the Microsoft Gaming community, Via Eurogamer , Phil Spencer is negotiating with Square enix for the arrival of Final Fantasy 7 Remake on his company's consoles.

Corden says that nothing is confirmed, but according to his sources, negotiations are underway about Final Fantasy 7 Remake on the Xbox Series and this could result in the arrival of one of the most desired games by the Microsoft Gaming community.
Nice I guess

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
My guess is that this will hit Gamepass immediately. There's no point in releasing this as a retail title considering this title is already 3 years old and Xbox gamers are notoriously averse to buying games.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Yeeeah... unless this makes it to GP (in which case there's the "engagement" and all that), we'll see how the sales numbers turn up. My guess is, they won't be great.
I'm sure it'll be #1 for a while. Like Stray, and Sifu, and other timed exclusives. It's free money for SQEX for a simple port job. They can take it or leave it. Almost every FF game is on Xbox and they go on sale a lot. People buy these games for years.

ManaByte

Gold Member
I'm sure it'll be #1 for a while. Like Stray, and Sifu, and other timed exclusives. It's free money for SQEX for a simple port job. They can take it or leave it. Almost every FF game is on Xbox and they go on sale a lot. People buy these games for years.
They already released Crisis Core remastered. Doesn't make sense to not release the main game.

Reactions: Isa

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I'm confused. It's boring but you will buy it anyway? 🤔

Excuse Me What GIF by Bounce
I will probably pick it up on sale, since I have all the other FF games. But yes, putting your best team in the whole company on a decade of remakes is possibly the worst decision SQEX has ever made. We could have at least 2 completely new games from their best team, but we get more Cloud. They are quality games, but it's just so much more boring than what we could have gotten.

Kilau

its been 4 years, I would hope so but xbox players better buy it or this will continue to happen
It’s SE, you know they want that money up front from MS, it’s coming to game pass. I’ll probably play it again but I’m not buying it.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby

Thread title does not match what Jez said at all.

Thread title: "Jez Corden: Final Fantasy VII Remake is coming to Xbox Consoles"

What he actually said: "I've got evidence tentatively that there are discussions about Final Fantasy VII for Xbox"

Tentative evidence of discussions and "FF VII is coming to Xbox" are not even remotely the same thing.

Last edited:

mejin

It will eventually come and anyone could say this.

Jez is a joke lol

If Phil can cover the porting costs and "buy" some sales by offering a Game Pass deal on top of it, I'm sure they can convince Square Enix to port it.

But they will have to make it risk-free for SE. Otherwise, SE clearly doesn't have a lot of confidence for financial returns on Xbox.
They didn't meet expectation on PS5, so I'm certain they wouldn't expect any better returns on other platforms.

"Kiryu highlighted the PS5's "slow adoption" as a cause of Final Fantasy 16's struggles. This is despite Sony's current-gen console recently breaking records left and right."

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Was this supposed to be the game that would "light the internet on fire"? Or have some ppl upset?

lol

bender

What time is it?
Well yeah, that's the only way anyone who lives and dies by that ecosystem will play it.

Paying for individual games is for the birds.

It's just the trend we've seen. I think a lot of Japanese developed titles would skip the Xbox all together if they weren't getting a lucrative Game Pass deal as software sales on the platform are less than stellar. I've mentioned it before, it is a smart use of Game Pass funds but I do wonder how sustainable the strategy is.

Last edited:

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Square just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the japanese public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase FFVII for either system, nor will they purchase any of Square's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Square has alienated an entire market with this move.

Square, publicly apologize and cancel FFVII for Xbox Series or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
It's just the trend we've seen. I think a lot of Japanese developed titles would skip the Xbox all together if they weren't getting a lucrative Game Pass deal as software sales on the platform are less than stellar. I've mentioned it before, it is a smart use of Game Pass funds but I do wonder how sustainable the strategy is.
The stupidest narrative of all time that just refuses to die. Yes, they see so little return potential for FFVII they won't port it. But they decided to port DioField Chronicles, Crisis Core, Strangers in Paradise, Little Goody Two Shoes, Star Ocean, and more without GP deals.

Last edited:

RickMasters

3849cfdf850be80f26aefe2cdff77358_KR_675__05962.1663105518.jpg

It's long after 3/3/21!
Who cares? As long as we get it. I’ve lost count of how many games I played via gamepass since 3/3/21. And that’s without me even touching my backlog with things like Elden ring and cyberpunk. still waiting for me to play them.

This game don’t even need to come out for Xbox this year….. where would I squeeze it between stalker 2, avowed and hellblade 2? When it comes it comes. I got plenty to play in the backlog…. Plenty to play and to look forward to on GP…..infact I wouldn’t be surprised if I’m playing this on GP before I actually buy it.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
First, we're talking about FFVII Remake, not FFXVI. Different games altogether.

Second, you're taking the part of that quote in a completely incorrect context. Kiryu was specifically talking about the PS5 small userbase at the start of the generation. His full quote also included, "We can see that the attach rate of Final Fantasy 16 is considerably high, given the PS5 install base."

One month later, during the financial earnings report, Kiryu confirmed that sales expectations were met.

Speaking during a recent financial briefing, Square Enix president Takashi Kiryu spoke positively about Final Fantasy XVI‘s expectations. “This achievement was in line with our expectations,” said Kiryu. “To expand sales, we have planned a variety of PR activities and other initiatives to encourage more of the growing PlayStation 5 install base to play the title.”

Top Bottom