• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jez Cordez: Sources say Xbox in talks to bring FFVII:Intergrade to Xbox

Astray

Gold Member
Square Enix should figure out how to grow an audience on a system. If they cant figure out, should just quit gaming industry altogether.

This has been biggest hurdle for Japanese developers over the years. Over reliance on Sony for marketing their games has kept Japanese games smaller.
I mean even Microsoft itself failed to grow its console userbase, why should Square give them a favor for free? If a port isn't guaranteed to pay for itself then it should not be made and resources should be allocated elsewhere.

Also name me one Japanese game that managed any real kind of demonstrable and directly-attributable growth via porting on Xbox. I'll wait.

And Microsoft set the expectation of “well if we wait long enough Microsoft will just write a check for it.”

Good job Phil lol
That's part of the issue Microsoft is facing too, they cultivated a lot of dumb things on console and are now paying for it.

KingT731

3. It doesn't sell because they failed to cultivate an expectation and community for these sort of games
This makes sense except for the fact that there's a massive disconnect between Social Media and the real world consumers on Xbox. We hear it constantly how they would LOVE all those SE RPGs on Xbox and it's the exact same thing every time. Even the folks capping for the games don't buy them...hell they don't even play them on Game Pass.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
So how did you know it's boring?
What do you care? I am bored with the concept of revisiting FFVII for a decade. I tried to go along with it and bought it day one, but never found the motivation to even start it. I am bored with all of it. I'd much rather have a new FF from these guys. Just the fact that I'm not dying to buy Rebirth is a big change for me, since I've been buying FF games day one since FF3 (6). We're going to be stuck with Cloud for another 4 years after this unless they speed up. That means I wont see an original FF game from these guys potentially for another 8 years. Some of them will literally be considering retirement at that point.

Last edited:
I mean even Microsoft itself failed to grow its console userbase, why should Square give them a favor for free? If a port isn't guaranteed to pay for itself then it should not be made and resources should be allocated elsewhere.

Also name me one Japanese game that managed any real kind of demonstrable and directly-attributable growth via porting on Xbox. I'll wait.

I will ask a reverse question.

Why is FF sales at same level as PS1 days meanwhile games of similar caliber like GTA exploded in popularity?

They clearly have a wrong strategy. And no, just porting it to Xbox will not increase their fanbase.

Three

Why is FF sales at same level as PS1 days meanwhile games of similar caliber like GTA exploded in popularity?

They clearly have a wrong strategy. And no, just porting it to Xbox will not increase their fanbase.
I can count the number of games that exploded in popularity "like GTA" on a severed hand. The fact that you expected the same for any other title is laughable.

Last edited:

Diddy X

Will get the full collection once it's been released on pc some years from now, fuck Square Enix.

Last edited:
Of course they are. It would be a huge win to bring over to Xbox. Then I'd be able to finally play it! At this point I was thinking maybe Nintendo worked out a deal to bring it to next-gen Switch and have it look & run mostly decent enough to justify plunking down $60 for it.

hmm meltdowns when a ps game comes to Xbox :messenger_tears_of_joy:
7KxHi9U.png

fallingdove

We're going to be stuck with Cloud for another 4 years after this unless they speed up. That means I wont see an original FF game from these guys potentially for another 8 years. Some of them will literally be considering retirement at that point.
Nah. There are multiple teams working on Final Fantasy at this point.

I think we could even see an FF title from the Forespoken team, who should have enough experience making mistakes that they can expand on their promise.

Kingdom Hearts is the franchise that needs to be killed with fire. Highly skilled SE devs working on an IP long past its prime.

Sweden85

Lol…. Xbox gamer here…… so how would you explain the 800 digital games in backlog if I don’t buy games? I’m sure I’m not the only one. I can have gamepass and still buy games, on Xbox….. I know….. it’s fuckin insane right?

😂😂 Well you're fewer and fewer, even PS4 sold more games than XboxSX last year :)

Dynasty8

After 4 years on PS and a couple years on PC...it's really hard to give a shit anymore. Most people who want to play it have played it already. Happy for those who haven't, but something tells me that Square Enix (like the "geniuses" that they are) will look at the sales numbers for Xbox and claim "iT diDnT mEeT oUr sALezz eXpeCtaTiOns"...

Yeah, no shit.

BlueLyria

Ummm, Idk?

Why did the mass market appeal game explode in popularity over the single player niche genre franchise?

You're a clown.

TheCed

if more people get to play VIIr then I think it's a good thing.

I do think most of those who wanted to play it already did but for those who only have one console and chose XBox, then good for them.

and for Square, if you got a good deal out of it, then good for you too.

Ummm, Idk?

Why did the mass market appeal game explode in popularity over the single player niche genre franchise?

You're a clown.

There are games that have broken the niche stereotype. Monster Hunter World is biggest example.

I guess people are happy with Japanese games remain small and niche?

NickFire

My understanding is that the game was only a timed exclusive, so it feels off brand for him to report that MS is negotiating to get this game on Xbox. He must be talking about adding it to GP.

BlueLyria

There are games that have broken the niche stereotype. Monster Hunter World is biggest example.

I guess people are happy with Japanese games remain small and niche?
And yet, Rise failed to reach World's sales, and possibly the new one might fail as well.

I would rather have my japanese franchises be of niche than morphing into something else.

I would rather have my japanese franchises be of niche than morphing into something else.

So something like … Final Fantasy 16?

SE is desperate to make FF a mainstream franchise.

This discussion started with there being enough incentive for SE to make this port. Now people don’t care for financials?

Got it.

Hero_Select

Yeeeah... unless this makes it to GP (in which case there's the "engagement" and all that), we'll see how the sales numbers turn up. My guess is, they won't be great.
I play most games on Xbox if they're multip-platform. I might have gotten FF7R on Xbox if it had launched day and date but I am not really keen nor do i feel the need to rebuy the game for xbox.

But the game will sell poorly because anyone whose wanted to play the game by now already probably has. And they'll use that same metric to say "Look our games don't sell on Xbox"

It's a self-fulfilling prophecy. EA did the same thing when they released Mass Effect 3 when the Trilogy was just about to pop up on every other platform.

AmuroChan

I would assume the negotiation is for GP. Plus it's already on PS+. So charging $70 for a game that's already several years old probably isn't much of a win.

BlueLyria

So something like … Final Fantasy 16?

SE is desperate to make FF a mainstream franchise.

This discussion started with there being enough incentive for SE to make this port. Now people don’t care for financials?

Got it.
Ah yes, because Final Fantasy 12 wasn't different, 14 was an MMO and 15 was also an Action RPG, FF as a franchise has had multiple types of games, so it being an action rpg isn't that groundbreaking from everything else (Crisis Core and type 0 were ARPGS too).

Funny how you attribute a "people don't care about financials" to this discussion when it wasn't part of it. Keep arguing in bad faith though, I'm sure that will work out.

I got it on ps5 and found it pretty boring. The writing was terrible and the combat didn’t have much depth to it. IMO.

Hopefully with the success of bg3, SE take a look at some kind of turn based battle system that will return the series to its roots and provide deeper strategy. That would be amazing for ff9 remake.

Man I just completely disagree. Also in the normal mode they kind of made the game easy. If you played the hard mode (unlocks after beating the game one time) there is a lot more strategy involved. You can't refill MP mid mission and you can't use items. It becomes a lot harder. You have to manager using magic at the right time and healing at the right time. I'm sure it's the way they wanted to make the game originally but it's so hard I can see why they didn't because casuals would have stopped after the first chapter.

I thought the combat system was brilliant and one of my favorite things about the game. The only reason I did a second play through was because of the combat.

Ah yes, because Final Fantasy 12 wasn't different, 14 was an MMO and 15 was also an Action RPG, FF as a franchise has had multiple types of games, so it being an action rpg isn't that groundbreaking from everything else (Crisis Core and type 0 were ARPGS too).

Funny how you attribute a "people don't care about financials" to this discussion when it wasn't part of it. Keep arguing in bad faith though, I'm sure that will work out.
If you think FF16, Forspoken weren’t an attempt at getting mainstream success, you are naive.

You joined discussion mid way so obviously you have no idea what is being discussed.

SE’s old approach they have followed since PS1 era has run their franchises into ground.

They should at least be aiming for Monster Hunter level of success. Anything less would be a disaster IMO.

But of course you seem to be overly protective of their exclusivity status, even if that means poor games, low budgets etc. Enjoy your mediocrity I guess.

Crayon

Man I just completely disagree. Also in the normal mode they kind of made the game easy. If you played the hard mode (unlocks after beating the game one time) there is a lot more strategy involved. You can't refill MP mid mission and you can't use items. It becomes a lot harder. You have to manager using magic at the right time and healing at the right time. I'm sure it's the way they wanted to make the game originally but it's so hard I can see why they didn't because casuals would have stopped after the first chapter.

I thought the combat system was brilliant and one of my favorite things about the game. The only reason I did a second play through was because of the combat.

Can confirm. The gameplay seems okay to good at first but that hard mode really changes things. The gameplay is unique, well balanced, strategic, all while still being more dramatic and cinematic that even god of war. It's fuckin sweet and I'm so excited for rebirth because I'm hoping for more of an open playground to fight in.

SkylineRKR

Its pretty much the only thing I liked about Remake. + Hard mode lets you skip on rail sections if you want.

But I found FFVII R to be quite challenging on Normal too. I certainly did die. There are some wake up calls in there, not only the Hell house but I remember dying to the flamethrower enemies a few times until I realized Defend is very important in this game. Same with those Saghanins, defend also blocks status effects.

Its actually proper ATB/turn based. You need to wait out enemy attacks by defending them and retaliate. Its not a simple hack n slasher and dodge is pretty much only for getting out of AoE and cones.

Calverz

I shouldn’t need to play a game in hard mode to enjoy it more. I doubt hard mode changes the writing and the combat system. I think I played the game for over 10 hours before enough was enough. Hopefully 9 remake will be better overall.

Final-Fantasy-VII-Remake-Intergrade-key-visual.jpg

According to Jez Corden of Windows Central, a well-known voice within the Microsoft Gaming community, Via Eurogamer , Phil Spencer is negotiating with Square enix for the arrival of Final Fantasy 7 Remake on his company's consoles.

Corden says that nothing is confirmed, but according to his sources, negotiations are underway about Final Fantasy 7 Remake on the Xbox Series and this could result in the arrival of one of the most desired games by the Microsoft Gaming community.
Obviously coming to Gamepass which is why it's taking so long.

Vol5

Tentative evidence, eh? Well it's either evidence or it isn't. It's not tentative evidence.

Ridiculous

BlueLyria

If you think FF16, Forspoken weren’t an attempt at getting mainstream success, you are naive.

You joined discussion mid way so obviously you have no idea what is being discussed.

SE’s old approach they have followed since PS1 era has run their franchises into ground.

They should at least be aiming for Monster Hunter level of success. Anything less would be a disaster IMO.

But of course you seem to be overly protective of their exclusivity status, even if that means poor games, low budgets etc. Enjoy your mediocrity I guess.
I did not deny they were an attempt at a more mainstream style, I challenged the claim that it was different because it was an attempt at mainstream, evidence is older games with the same action oriented style.

My point was challenging your idiotic claim when you brought up GTA.

But yeah, sure, the series that is mostly single player and story focused should aim for the same success as a multiplayer co-op game or an multiplayer open world.

Top Bottom