• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jez Cordez: Sources say Xbox in talks to bring FFVII:Intergrade to Xbox

Darsxx82

Why would Xbox bother with this or any other exclusives timed or otherwise anymore if they are just going 3rd party publisher?
Or why MS jeopardizes the acquisition of ABK and future acquisitions in court by refusing the obligation to release games to PS and Switch beyond COD (for "only" 10 years) if its plan was to be a full 3rd party to EA or TakeTwo and if you are going to stop making your own console hardware?

Or Why Sony (even despite the 10-year COD agreement) has once again opposed MS's acquisition of ABK in court if at this point it already knows that Xbox games will be launched on PS5 and that Xbox consoles are going to disappear ?

Or why did P. Spencer award Sarah Bond as head of Xbox hardware if it is assumed that there will be no new hardware or it will be completely residual?

You Know? 🤔😏🙃

@Muppet345

Thanks! And bookmarked. A true legend.

Or why MS jeopardizes the acquisition of ABK and future acquisitions in court by refusing the obligation to release games to PS and Switch beyond COD (for "only" 10 years) if its plan was to be a full 3rd party to EA or TakeTwo and if you are going to stop making your own console hardware?

Or Why Sony (even despite the 10-year COD agreement) has once again opposed MS's acquisition of ABK in court if at this point it already knows that Xbox games will be launched on PS5 and that Xbox consoles are going to disappear ?

Or why did P. Spencer award Sarah Bond as head of Xbox hardware if it is assumed that there will be no new hardware or it will be completely residual?

You Know? 🤔😏🙃

Uh, Sony moved on from the ABK stuff my dude. The case going forward is all on the FTC; they have their own reasons for doing such and don't need Sony's approval to do so.

Unless you think Sony bought the FTC. Is that still a thing?

Last edited:

Darsxx82

Uh, Sony moved on from the ABK stuff my dude. The case going forward is all on the FTC; they have their own reasons for doing such and don't need Sony's approval to do so.

Unless you think Sony bought the FTC. Is that still a thing?
No my friend, quite the opposite.
I think you have not followed the latest events regarding the ABK case 😉

SONY has returned to the arena and has joined the FTC against the acquisition in the appeal 9th circuit and administrative proceedings still open.

And all this despite the agreement signed with MS of COD for 10 years that they supposedly now point out that they signed it as something they signed in a situation of necessity...

Therefore and then, the question remains.... What reason does Sony have in continuing to oppose the acquisition and ally itself with the FTC at this point if it should already be aware that all XBOX games will come to Playstation and that MS plans to stop making them? hardware??...

No my friend, quite the opposite.
I think you have not followed the latest events regarding the ABK case 😉

Yeah, you're right. I'm in this for gaming, not lawsuits and politics. I ducked out of that ABK shit as soon as the deal closed.

SONY has returned to the arena and has joined the FTC against the acquisition in the appeal 9th circuit and administrative proceedings still open.

I just went to the FTC website and opened the latest PDF. Seems the Sony stuff is in relation to the custodians Microsoft wanted (rather ridiculous) information on to use within the hearings. Sony contested providing those custodians, and it seems like Microsoft still wants info on custodians that Sony don't want to provide.

Hence why Sony are still involved on the FTC case in some capacity. From what I understand MS wanted performance reviews of high-level Sony executives stretching back many years/decades, merit reviews, and info on sensitive financial data. No duh Sony would be against this; any company would. Sony seem to have a corporate witness (that happened yesterday) in the case, that witness was probably called upon by the FTC. In response MS want the custodian info, which Sony are trying to block.

So yeah, this is more an FTC thing and even if Sony have largely moved on, by being involved previously they're still somewhat involved as long as the FTC want to pursue a block to the merger. Their hands are kinda tied by the FTC here, though if the FTC win the block, the ABK deal can be threatened globally (ABK stated they needed approval in all the major markets so no go in the US = no go globally).

And all this despite the agreement signed with MS of COD for 10 years that they supposedly now point out that they signed it as something they signed in a situation of necessity...

Multiple things can be true simultaneously ;)

Therefore and then, the question remains.... What reason does Sony have in continuing to oppose the acquisition and ally itself with the FTC at this point if it should already be aware that all XBOX games will come to Playstation and that MS plans to stop making them? hardware??...

I think you're just not reading it correctly. The FTC are the ones who want to oppose the acquisition mainly; Sony'll provide testimony if it's wanted, but they have no issue moving on regardless. It's Microsoft who want to subpoena for those Sony custodians (could be for any number of reasons, including talent poaching on the DL something Sony wouldn't be open to playing along with).

Also the ABK deal is way bigger than just games coming to PlayStation; a scenario where ABK remain independent so that Sony can do business with them directly is still massively preferable to one where ABK are owned by Microsoft. They're not going to 100% give up on that just because they're being promised games that were already going to come w/o the acquisition (or even XGS games that maybe weren't coming before).

If you want an example of how these software promises may not necessarily pan out with a platform holder on a competitor's system, SEGA settled with Atari in the '90s for a deal to bring SEGA 1P games to the Jaguar and Jaguar 2. Atari also got $50 million out of SEGA in that deal. None of those SEGA games ever materialized on an Atari system. I'm just bringing that up as a loose example of how this stuff can play out between Microsoft and Sony.

Darsxx82

Yeah, you're right. I'm in this for gaming, not lawsuits and politics. I ducked out of that ABK shit as soon as the deal closed.

I just went to the FTC website and opened the latest PDF. Seems the Sony stuff is in relation to the custodians Microsoft wanted (rather ridiculous) information on to use within the hearings. Sony contested providing those custodians, and it seems like Microsoft still wants info on custodians that Sony don't want to provide.

Hence why Sony are still involved on the FTC case in some capacity. From what I understand MS wanted performance reviews of high-level Sony executives stretching back many years/decades, merit reviews, and info on sensitive financial data. No duh Sony would be against this; any company would. Sony seem to have a corporate witness (that happened yesterday) in the case, that witness was probably called upon by the FTC. In response MS want the custodian info, which Sony are trying to block.

So yeah, this is more an FTC thing and even if Sony have largely moved on, by being involved previously they're still somewhat involved as long as the FTC want to pursue a block to the merger. Their hands are kinda tied by the FTC here, though if the FTC win the block, the ABK deal can be threatened globally (ABK stated they needed approval in all the major markets so no go in the US = no go globally).

Multiple things can be true simultaneously ;)

I think you're just not reading it correctly. The FTC are the ones who want to oppose the acquisition mainly; Sony'll provide testimony if it's wanted, but they have no issue moving on regardless. It's Microsoft who want to subpoena for those Sony custodians (could be for any number of reasons, including talent poaching on the DL something Sony wouldn't be open to playing along with).

Also the ABK deal is way bigger than just games coming to PlayStation; a scenario where ABK remain independent so that Sony can do business with them directly is still massively preferable to one where ABK are owned by Microsoft. They're not going to 100% give up on that just because they're being promised games that were already going to come w/o the acquisition (or even XGS games that maybe weren't coming before).

If you want an example of how these software promises may not necessarily pan out with a platform holder on a competitor's system, SEGA settled with Atari in the '90s for a deal to bring SEGA 1P games to the Jaguar and Jaguar 2. Atari also got $50 million out of SEGA in that deal. None of those SEGA games ever materialized on an Atari system. I'm just bringing that up as a loose example of how this stuff can play out between Microsoft and Sony.

My friend, Sony is not only here for opposing a subpoena that MS requires, Sony has legally joined the FTC's efforts to try to kill the acquisition
supporting the FTC's theories and even reneging on the 10-year agreement with MS..

It's simple, and even more so after the agreement signed by COD... SONY should currently be in the position of total legal neutrality or even defending the acquisition like Nintendo and Nvidia are.
But not only that, SONY should supposedly already be aware of the become a 3rd party more like EA or TaKeTwo..... If it seems to you that it falls within the common.... OK

But it has already been pointed out, that is not the only signal, there are others that do not logically match with "MS is not going to launch more console hardware" I remember you.

1- If MS's strategy with ABk is to be a 3rd party and abandon the console business.... Why the hell did it put and continue to jeopardize the acquisition of ABK and also possible future ones by refusing to accept releasing its games on PS and Switch ??

2- Why do you continue to agree to the arrival of 3rd party games to your ecosystem and some of them temporal exclusives? Why Xbox@ID?

3- Why P. Spencer officially announced that the development of new hardware is in process and have a roadmap weeks ago?

4-Why do you put Sarah Bond as head of Xbox hardware if it is supposed to be an empty or residual position?

That said, the simplest answer to all these questions is a very simple one... but it is clear that there are people who prefer to bet on others for obvious reasons.

Z O N E

Why would Sony send them a cheque to delay a 4 years old released game? It makes no sense for Sony to block it in anyway now.

It makes all the sense by keeping one of the most beloved Final Fantasy titles exclusive to Playstation.

Also, I'm pretty sure Sonys contracts have leaked where if a "competitor" makes an offer, the developer has to come to Sony to see if Sony will make the same or better offer.

My friend, Sony is not only here for opposing a subpoena that MS requires, Sony has legally joined the FTC's efforts to try to kill the acquisition
supporting the FTC's theories and even reneging on the 10-year agreement with MS..

It's simple, and even more so after the agreement signed by COD... SONY should currently be in the position of total legal neutrality or even defending the acquisition like Nintendo and Nvidia are.
But not only that, SONY should supposedly already be aware of the become a 3rd party more like EA or TaKeTwo..... If it seems to you that it falls within the common.... OK

But it has already been pointed out, that is not the only signal, there are others that do not logically match with "MS is not going to launch more console hardware" I remember you.

1- If MS's strategy with ABk is to be a 3rd party and abandon the console business.... Why the hell did it put and continue to jeopardize the acquisition of ABK and also possible future ones by refusing to accept releasing its games on PS and Switch ??

2- Why do you continue to agree to the arrival of 3rd party games to your ecosystem and some of them temporal exclusives? Why Xbox@ID?

3- Why P. Spencer officially announced that the development of new hardware is in process and have a roadmap weeks ago?

4-Why do you put Sarah Bond as head of Xbox hardware if it is supposed to be an empty or residual position?

That said, the simplest answer to all these questions is a very simple one... but it is clear that there are people who prefer to bet on others for obvious reasons.

Nintendo & NVIDIA didn't defend the acquisition; you're conflating their acceptance of a deal with them agreeing to the intent and process of the acquisition itself. At best it shows they mrerely tolerate its existence, but I strongly doubt either would have or in fact showed any cheerleading in support for the acquisition prior to Microsoft throwing a bone out for them. Even then, the "bone" was basically more games & content for their platform...who wouldn't accept that?

Anyway, you are reading way too much into Sony's role with the FTC in the rest of these proceedings. Like I said, of course they'd still prefer a scenario where the deal doesn't happen vs. one where it does, but it doesn't mean much more than that. Plans like MS leaving the console business, wouldn't be Sony's to be aware of. 3P games coming to Xbox doesn't say much about MS choosing (or not choosing) to go 3P; even SEGA still had consoles around like the Master System and even Genesis/MegaDrive while licensing out some of their games to the NES, Amiga, Commodore etc. Xbox is at a point hardware-wise where MS could still keep making the systems but shift the business model to where they can do things like release their 1P content on other platforms, including other consoles.

Phil says a lot of things; truth is we have zero idea what the new Xbox hardware will actually be like. As for the roadmap, the one with the discless Xbox Series X is already said to be outdated, and Project Keystone was a part of the roadmap until it wasn't. You're forgetting the cloud-hybrid console was a part of the roadmap too...the new hardware could be in reference to that. I think it could, though they may have stuff aside that as well.

Sarah Bond being in charge of the Xbox division could be for many reasons. Remember, she was heading the Game Pass initiative prior, and Game Pass AFAIK isn't inherently tied to Xbox. Game Pass growth (in real-world absolute terms; I'm not listening to random "analysts" claiming 33 million GP subs when MS themselves refused to give an update in the recent investors call) has stagnated, and Xbox hardware sales have been declining. So did she get a promotion or a demotion? Is the future of Xbox hardware as a traditional console or more like a PC business model? We don't know yet.

I've got my bets spread out; it's some of you who seem to dislike the probable scenario of MS becoming more fully multiplat in their software support and maybe shifting Xbox hardware to a more PC-like hardware & business model (provided they keep gaming hardware around, which I think is likely) rather than focusing on it as a traditional console to compete directly with PlayStation & Nintendo.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
They paid 100 million for timed exclusivity on ONE tomb raider game…… doesn’t seem out of their reach…..

Joe Biden Shock GIF by GIPHY News

That's nuts!

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I don't want to give it the oxygen of making a new thread, but this is making the rounds today.

You won't guess who the rumorer is. But he is citing a source that was accurate about something else.

It's like finding a gold nugget in poop.

I got 4 hours into FF7R on PS4 before I got bored, does it get any better later on in the game?

No.

7R is one of the worst paced games of the last gen. I have only played it once and then only again for the Intergrade stuff.

I am not going to replay it before Rebirth comes out. Can't slog through it.

Last edited:

demigod

I don't want to give it the oxygen of making a new thread, but this is making the rounds today.

You won't guess who the rumorer is. But he is citing a source that was accurate about something else.

It's like finding a gold nugget in poop.

No.

7R is one of the worst paced games of the last gen. I have only played it once and then only again for the Intergrade stuff.

I am not going to replay it before Rebirth comes out. Can't slog through it.

Congrats SE on the 1% that will buy it on xbox.

I mean, "talks" to bring FF7R to Xbox are fine. But SE needs to do a much better job on that port than the PC one. And, you know, Xbox owners need to actually buy the game to demonstrate to SE that it's worthwhile for them to invest in the Xbox ecosystem. If the "wait for Gamepass" mantra carries the day, I wouldn't count on Rebirth showing up.

Top Bottom