• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jimquisition: Weapon Durability, Fanbase Fragility (Mar. 13th, 2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
ISmV3Ye.jpg

This comment in his review is the definition of trolling. Why should he be talking about the onslaught of 10/10 reviews in his review? Other people enjoyed it and he didn't. There is no need to bring it up in your review unless you are trolling. There is almost a sense of real jealously that people like the game.

He shouldn't be reacting to scores other people gave it. He should review it on its own merit and not because Nintendo are being dicks. Just because reviewers gave it a 10/10 doesn't mean you will like it. At the very least, it is obvious he hasn't reviewed it objectively and it's more of a reaction to other reviewers. That shows that his beef with the company probably influenced his score as he is unable to review things separated from the context that they live in.

I'm sorry but this statement is pretty childish. "full on dick moves". I find it hard to take any reviewer seriously that uses language like this that has little to do with the game at game/product at hand. it's like going Disney are greedy SOB's in a review of Avenger's Civil War. I mean seriously what does that even supposed to mean?

I'd hope for a higher level of professionalism from a person that takes their work seriously. I feel this goes too deep in mudslinging for the sake of mudslinging.

takriel

Why is a weapon degradation system inherently bad? I don't get it. And Jim doesn't really explain it other than saying it's shit and not fun etc.

MTC100

Banned
I feel like you're missing the point of the Jimquisition as a show.

It's not just his Jimquisition show, which also changed over the years mind you. In his" free time" he reviews/previews all those shitty Steam early access(I've heard they're gone now and replaced by a better system?) titles I wouldn't even play if I've gotten them for free. Then he gets sued by the same idiots that created some "games" out of asset flips because they think they were abused by him or something. In the end I feel like he wastes so much of his potential with negativity, his older shows were more enjoyable but I guess the current audience wants all that stuff the way it is.

Kthulhu

Why is a weapon degradation system inherently bad? I don't get it. And Jim doesn't really explain it other than saying it's shit and not fun etc.

That's why it's bad. Jim and many others think it isn't good and it detracts from their overall enjoyment. Jim specifically thinks it's bad in every instance he's seen.

I personally think it can be implemented well, and I don't think BOTW did it well.

Ilive1up

his last paragraph is basically the same way the zelda fanboys are reacting to him.

both are shit for this thing.

i love jim sterling too.

leburn98

I enjoy his show and the comedy act that Jim Sterling is, but he is most definitely not a reviewer (and I use that term loosely) I trust. Let's not forget that this same Jim Sterling that gave Dead Premonition a 10/10. That's all that needs to be said about his ability to professionally review video games.

My guess is that Jim has only ever experienced really lousy implementations of it. I don't mind MonHun's durability system, but the execution is completely different from BOTW.

Plum

I disagree on all accounts.

The Jimquisition is a video series based around calling out controversies. It would be a disservice to his audience to not call out how some fanatics behave towards criticisms.

No, I don't agree that just because it's his job he is benefiting from this. BotW is a very popular game and there is every potential of him losing patrons as there is gaining some.

And yes, there is a social benefit to calling out the backlash. It's is important to call out these fanatics for attacking reviewers. Because it's not an isolated case. It happened with Polygon with Dragon's Crown, Gamespot with GTAV, Gertmann with TP. Shitty behavior like this needs to be called out.

"Calling out" the few people sad enough to DDoS a site doesn't benefit anyone; in fact it makes the situation worse as Jim, most likely, gave them the exact reaction they wanted. When it comes to this the best thing to always do is take no notice of it; trolls are just that, trolls, don't feed them. No, that's not victim blaming, Jim's site didn't deserve to be taken down, but if he actually cared about stopping the issue he wouldn't put fire on to the flames. He called the video "Fanbase fragility" and peppered it with harmless examples of typical shitty comments, nowhere does that even imply that he only wanted to call out the DDoSing and threats.

As for him losing Patreons; yes, that's possible, but I think that the attention will be more than enough to make up for any loss. If he honestly thought that this was too much of a risk he wouldn't have posted the video; his entire living (and maybe his family's, but I don't know) is riding on his Patreon and merchandise, I doubt he'd be in the market for a Jontron-style career suicide. He's running a freelance donation-based Journalism business, believing he's doing anything different is naive to me.

takriel

That's why it's bad. Jim and many others think it isn't good and it detracts from their overall enjoyment. Jim specifically thinks it's bad in every instance he's seen.

I personally think it can be implemented well, and I don't think BOTW did it well.
The way he's framing it implies that he thinks it's objectively bad, which is a strong claim and cannot be defended just by saying "because it's bad!"

I hope that the criticisms of poorly-done systems like this one get to Nintendo so they can issue some patches. I won't be able to play BotW for a while, and would love to be able to play a better version without problems like these when I get around to getting a Switch!

I actually agree with him on this. In the few games that I've played where weapon and armor durability is present it's usually the first thing I try to mod out. I love witcher 3 but I just couldn't stand the fact that my gear always broke in the middle of a long quest line dungeon.

As for the Zelda thing, I mean I kinda get being mad if someone doesn't like a game as much as I do but its fanbase is really starting to go too far. It reminds me of the pre-launch No Man's Sky fanbase and that was horrible.

I dont have a Nintendo console but I will say that it looks like a lot of fun and my SO is having a blast but people need to relax. People have different tastes and I honestly wish the gaming community will stop acting like anything below 85-90% review score was a personal insult.

You enjoy the game and that's all that should matter in the end. 97% is still freaking high in an era where other publishers are pushing graphics and radio towers. Credit where credit is due.

Ive never liked durability systems. NEVER. Is the first thing I mod from games. I did it with the Witcher 3. I tried playing with the durability system, it was unfun, and mod it out after some hours.

Zelda is built around it to make it an interesting mechanic, Im really liking it right now because I have usually a problem of hoarding in games that makes me go super slow in the menus becuase I always think "maybe this will be useful someday", and it never is.
But here, stuff breaking makes me just act fast in what I need or not.

I love Jim Sterling's opinion pieces and his actions to improve the gaming community, but him and I are completely different in what we like in games, and its not only becuase of Zelda. He gave the most atrocious piece of shit Fallout 4 a 9.5 because he found fun it let him fuck some monster (basically found really important the sex liberty the game had). That game has BIG SERIOUS problems he didnt account in the score he gave in his review (but did talk about those problems in it). He finds that a mechanic that a lot of people are enjoying is so horrible for him that brought the game down 3 full marks. The Witcher 3, another game that I think its a masterpiece, he gave it a 8.5 because of some small problems he didnt like but that for other were minimal and something that wouldnt deter the full enjoyment of a game.
And thats his opinion and he is free to do whatever he wants.
People are also free (without getting into stupid territory, or attacking Jim personally) to say they dont think his review (or more importantly, the score, because the review is fine) is any good.

He explained it in detail. For example, holding on to powerful weapons for an event that may not happen similar to powerful items in FF games so they end up unused in your inventory at the end of the game, or how the action pauses when the weapon breaks mid fight to switch to a different weapon.

marrec

Banned
I hope that the criticisms of poorly-done systems like this one get to Nintendo so they can issue some patches. I won't be able to play BotW for a while, and would love to be able to play a better version without problems like these when I get around to getting a Switch!
You may want to try it before declaring it a problem. Most people seem to enjoy the system.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Just watched the video. I love Jim Sterling. Telling it like it is. Shame no one else does the same. Thank God for him!!!

MTC100

Banned

It's funny that it seems to be his main concern with the game, seeing how obsessed he is about it in that video, he even says towards the end(only having spoken about weapon degradation till then) that he is now done with the bad stuff and would talk about the good now if there weren't for the Nintendo Fanboys xD

Sure he had some other points against BotW in his review but when you look at the video you almost feel his hate for the weapons shattering after hitting a few times with them. I don't really understand that, because if you use all the tools Link gets with the sheika slate, then you never really have any kind of weapon issue at all, the opposite: weapons are piling up in your inventory. Also the Bows and Boomerangs degrade very slowly, so why not use those weapons more often when you're running low on melee stuff?

aBarreras

this is not a problem, this is fundamental part of the freaking game

Hasney

I love that review. I almost always disagree with Jim's tastes including this one it seems, so he's not on my radar of things to read, but I don't know how people don't understand that a review is one persons opinion and totally subjective.

And that I always love that objective review.

Uh, it's part of the game design and a part that a lot of us are enjoying. It may not be for you, but it's not going away.

DVCY201

ISmV3Ye.jpg

This comment in his review is the definition of trolling. Why should he be talking about the onslaught of 10/10 reviews in his review? Other people enjoyed it and he didn't. There is no need to bring it up in your review unless you are trolling.

He shouldn't be reacting to scores other people gave it. He should review it on its own merit and not because it is getting a 10/10. Just because reviewers gave it a 10/10 doesn't mean you will like it. At the very least, it is obvious he hasn't reviewed it objectively and it's more of a reaction to other reviewers. If he is unable to separate the review scores from his own review, that shows that his beef with the company probably influenced his score as he is unable to review things separated from the context that they live in.

Yea. This is weird in my opinion. It actively seeks out to discredit 10/10 reviews, almost passing his own review on a pedestal as 'truth'. But it's Jim. I enjoy his rants, not his reviews

Principate

Saint Titanfall

Nintendo isn't going to patch out a system that helped attain the game near universal praise. As far as reception to system goes it couldn't have gone better (or much better literally).

Kthulhu

It's not just his Jimquisition show, which also changed over the years mind you. In his" free time" he reviews/previews all those shitty Steam early access(I've heard they're gone now and replaced by a better system?) titles I wouldn't even play if I've gotten them for free. Then he gets sued by the same idiots that created some "games" out of asset flips because they think they were abused by him or something. In the end I feel like he wastes so much of his potential with negativity, his older shows were more enjoyable but I guess the current audience wants all that stuff the way it is.

From what I understand the point of reviewing crap Steam games is to call out Valve for letting trash on their store.

Jim also has a podcast and does normal previews.

While I do believe Jim has a bit of a cynical outlook on the industry, occasionally to his detriment. I don't see him as a negative person. The whole character he does in the Jimquisition is for entertainment purposes, and the Jimquisition has been about calling attention to negative things for as long as I can remember.

He does talk about the games he loves every so often, but I feel like he'd rather call attention to issues he thinks need addressing then focus on making people feel good.

If you're looking for a more positive outlooks on games and the industry, there are tons of people who do that, but I'd never recommend Jim to anyone who wants that.

thefil

He explained it in detail. For example, holding on to powerful weapons for an event that may not happen similar to powerful items in FF games so they end up unused in your inventory at the end of the game, or how the action pauses when the weapon breaks mid fight to switch to a different weapon.

If only this was completely in the power of the player, not the developer! Alas, both Final Fantasy and Zelda only allow you to use these items in very limited scenarios.

jariw

Why does he fight with stonehammer? Stonehammers break easily in combat, but have long durability when used for mining. Pretty similar to the tool breaking in vanilla Minecraft IIRC.

And why doesn't he mention that virtually all weapons respawns at each bloodmoon, so it's possible to farm favorite weapons?

Szadek

Ive never liked durability systems. NEVER. Is the first thing I mod from games. I did it with the Witcher 3. I tried playing with the durability system, it was unfun, and mod it out after some hours.

Zelda is built around it to make it an interesting mechanic, Im really liking it right now because I have usually a problem of hoarding in games that makes me go super slow in the menus becuase I always think "maybe this will be useful someday", and it never is.
But here, stuff breaking makes me just act fast in what I need or not.

I love Jim Sterling's opinion pieces and his actions to improve the gaming community, but him and I are completely different in what we like in games, and its not only becuase of Zelda. He gave the most atrocious piece of shit Fallout 4 a 9.5 because he found fun it let him fuck some monster (basically found really important the sex liberty the game had). That game has BIG SERIOUS problems he didnt account in the score he gave in his review (but did talk about those problems in it). He finds that a mechanic that a lot of people are enjoying is so horrible for him that brought the game down 3 full marks. The Witcher 3, another game that I think its a masterpiece, he gave it a 8.5 because of some small problems he didnt like but that for other were minimal and something that wouldnt deter the full enjoyment of a game.
And thats his opinion and he is free to do whatever he wants.
People are also free (without getting into stupid territory) to say they dont think his review (or more importantly, the score, because the review is fine) is any good.
You do realise that reviews usually don't start at 10 go backwards from there, right?

Why does he fight with stonehammer? Stonehammers break easily in combat, but have long durability when used for mining. Pretty similar to the tool breaking in vanilla Minecraft IIRC.

And why doesn't he mention that virtually all weapons respawns at each bloodmoon, so it's possible to farm favorite weapons?
"It's possible to farm" is never an excuse for a poorly-implemented mechanic. Never-ever.

this is not a problem, this is fundamental part of the freaking game
A fundamental part of the game is making it so I can't have fun and have exciting battles because I can't use my favorite weapons and then my weapons break and I have to pause in the middle to switch out? Sounds kinda garbage to me.

MTC100

Banned
And there we have it. Everyone is taking putting the 7/10 review under a microscope, but the 10/10s? they just got walked in on a red carpet.

Absolute double standards and obvious bias.

Perhaps his review is being put under the microscope in this thread, because this very thread is about his review and his backlash thereafter? Crazy thought, I know :D

TheTurboFD

"Fuck Konami News" was something that made me cringe a bit, after neraly every Jimquisition. Sure they made a lot of wrong business decisions the last couple years with firing Kojima being the worst one, yet they still don't deserve the hate he has for them. He also blatantly hates on Nintendo even telling his audience it's okay to pirate their games. One Company I've not heard him complain about so far is Sony, also Microsoft seems to get away with everything(well okay, they are not really in the spotlight with anything lately).

Wow it's almost as if you didn't even watch the video about pirating nintendo games.... I also love how you're trying to throw around the idea that he's a Microsoft or Sony shill. Just shows you really have no clue how to defend whatever viewpoint you have.

This isn't how video games or reviews work.

au contraire, this is exactly how reviews work on this industry, which is really sad because it shouldn't. This is the kind of shit that justifies "half point" scores.

Oh hell no. This is also another shitty thing that will ruin this industry. If they patch everything someone doesn't like we'll have a mess.

"It's possible to farm" is never an excuse for a poorly-implemented mechanic. Never-ever.

I am glad you're not a game designer nor a critic

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
To add to this: thats been a problem in like all Zelda games. Even with loads more buttons added to the controller, you're always limited to Sword + Item. So you're constantly breaking the flow of action/exploration going in and outta menus. Having weapons break, and quickly at that, just adds to the amount of game pausing ya gotta do. An that sounds like it really bites!

Hasney

And there we have it. Everyone is taking putting the 7/10 review under a microscope, but the 10/10s? they just got walked in on a red carpet.

Several posters put 10's under the microscope in the review thread.

patching something because some people didn't like it? its not a bug

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Yikes looking at other games he gave a 7/10 to, the dude is entitled to his opinion but at the same time he keeps saying he gave it a "good score". Yeah its right up there with classics like Battlefield Hardlines, Recore, and dark siders 2...

Lmao you are definitely not getting what you purportedly want.

Just use your damn weapons, Jim--stop being so stingy! :p

Mr Git

I enjoy his show and the comedy act that Jim Sterling is, but he is most definitely not a reviewer (and I use that term loosely) I trust. Let's not forget that this same Jim Sterling that gave Dead Premonition a 10/10. That's all that needs to be said about his ability to professionally review video games.

The only thing that says is that Jim is a human being and, guess what, not occupying the same human body that you are.

atr0cious

You're right, good thing the system is really great. I'd ask for a drop option for bow and shield, but the balance is really well done. The more you fight, the better weapons you get. If you hoard and don't fight, of course your weapons will be shit.

guek

Banned
To add to this: thats been a problem in like all Zelda games. Even with loads more buttons added to the controller, you're always limited to Sword + Item. So you're constantly breaking the flow of action/exploration going in and outta menus. Having weapons break, and quickly at that, just adds to the amount of game pausing ya gotta do. An that sounds like it really bites!

You keep talking about a game you haven't even played with such authority and it's very off putting.

patching something because some people didn't like it? its not a bug
It's more like patching a thing that seems to have a detrimental affect on the gameplay experience. Which is definitely no the craziest thing in the world, patches exist for more things than just bugs!

Whether it will happen or not is, of course, Nintendo's call and not up to any of us, but I hope they do. Everything I've heard about Zelda makes it sound like a lot of fun, but with a lot of "but"s attached. I'd love for them to refine some of those "but"s, from framerate problems to the nasty implementation of weapon durability.

Kthulhu

You do know deadly premonition has a small following of dedicated fans, right?

Nepenthe

How is people analyzing a review that breaks rank, in a thread dedicated to that singular review no less, evidence of a double standard or any notable bias that isn't equally shared by the cynics?

Why are the 50+ reviewers and the hundreds of thousands of people who like the game unreasonably biased, but Jim Sterling is reasonable? And is this not indicative of bias yourself?

thefil

You're right, good thing the system is really great. I'd ask for a drop option for bow and shield, but the balance is really well done. The more you fight, the better weapons you get. If you hoard and don't fight, of course your weapons will be shit.

Yeah, my only criticism of the system is that it could be easier to drop bows/shields or switch items with something on the ground.

This isn't how video games or reviews work.

If it's less fun, it's less points.

If only this was completely in the power of the player, not the developer! Alas, both Final Fantasy and Zelda only allow you to use these items in very limited scenarios.

The player has no choice other than to switch to a different weapon. That's why Jim was harsh on it, reasonably so. I think it's a common experience for many players to want to value what they acquire in the game. If it's something you value and you know it's going to break, it deters the use of that weapon.

Hatty

Believe it or not but you're part of this "everyone" that you're criticizing. Analyze all the 10/10 scores if you feel it must be done, contribute instead of complaining about how the community is acting.

zelas

This. Weapon fragility is pretty bad, easily worth a few minus points.
Degradation adds nothing to gameplay imo but I can live with it. But I'd say BotW should lose those points for not just having the degradation system, but for implementing it in one of the worst ways we've seen ever. The system is far from polished. And as a result of how poorly its implemented, the inventory system suffers a great deal too. Though the inventory feels like it would be a problem on its own because of the crafting.

People says its nitpicking (its really not) when any complaint is brought up yet when we're talking about where it stands among the industry's greatest, it is the little things that sets it apart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom