• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Joe Rogan extends platform to former Google employee James Demore

Status
Not open for further replies.
This week in Joe Rogan fuckery -
James Damore is a former Google Senior software engineer, who was recently fired by Google after an internal memo he wrote about its diversity policies was leaked online.

For those who can't stomach seeing the whole video (and I don't blame you), newly minted alt-right hero James Demore who recently made headlines with his leaked anti diversity memo (Google's Ideological Echo Chamber) in response to Google's efforts for greater equality, diversity and inclusion, guested on the Joe Rogan Experience, and the episode was pretty much what you can expect.

For those who would like to peruse or read through Demore's memo: here it is.

Wired published a pretty good article breaking down exactly what is wrong with the memo beyond the obvious surface observations.

While I am aware there is a thread dedicated to the infamous memo itself, I'd like to talk more about Joe Rogan and his ridiculous antics. Joe Rogan is libertarian that has found himself to be a recipient of the admiration of the alt right and various conservative groups. He claims to be very liberal socially on a lot of policies, but somehow has amassed the adoration and admiration of many on the right, presumably because in the past, and present, he has had no reservations extending his widely popular platform to racists, sexists, nazis and generally controversial individuals like James Demore.

I respect Rogan's insight on martial arts, but beyond that, his pseudo intellectual rambling is not something I have had any patience for, however it has not escaped my notice on the few occasions I've listened to the podcast that read the YouTube comments (I know) that his audience is generally made up of disgruntled white men that display alarming levels of antisemitism and bigotry, specifically towards black people and women.

Rogan may not be a bigot himself, but a distressingly large portion of his audience sure is and I believe that is pretty much almost entirely because he is too comfortable extending his platform to bigots and allowing them to spew their misinformed and malicious hatred. Rogan is essentially a feeder in the internet machine that is the radicalisation process of young white men through rationalised bigotry. I've known this to be true for a while, but watching this shit pop up in my feed today, I've decided to cut the shit with this guy entirely. He is essentially another Philip DeFranco at this point (
another supposed liberal white guy that only cares for common sense and "both sides" approach to no alienate bigoted losers but unironically uses the term SJW and has some shit to say about feminists - and he's a Christina Hoff Summers fan, so go figure, but I digress
), but more dangerous so like Sargon of Akkad and thunderf00t and the rest of YouTube ilk that contribute to radicalisation of disgruntled white men because he opens his platform to these fuckers and is very comfortable going to where they're most comfortable, which is spreading misinformation, ill rationalised theories and disingenuous rationalisations for their beliefs.

It's these kind of fuckers that feed into the radicalisation that leads to murderers like the piece of shit in Charlottesville. Fragile, disgruntled white men whose bigotry are rationalised, justified, enforced, promoted and encouraged by pseudo intellectual bigots. I may not count Rogan as amongst the worst of them, but he certainly is a significant part of the problem.

I guess I wanted to make this thread to vent, but I'm also curious to see where the line is for other Rogan fans. I'm just sick to death of this dude legitimised bigots so I've blocked his channel.

Arkeband

Banned
He just had an evolutionary biologist on to debate and debunk Jordan Peterson, so while his guests have leaned right lately, maybe it will swing back the other way.

Fat4all

Banned

KMkXm_s-200x150.gif

Account suspended. Was it there a minute ago?

longer than a minute ago

Jeels

Wasn't there a thread on this Joe guy a bit ago when he was saying pepe wasn't racist, both sides, liberals are making too big a deal, etc etc? And now he invites this guy? Honestly, he's alt right even if he doesn't self identify. If he wants so associate with those beliefs and spread them to his followers he'll be called on it.

Strike

Why people still take this guy seriously outside of fear factor and mma I don't know. The whole "lets hear both sides" and "I'm just asking questions" shtick shouldn't apply to everything.

Wasn't there a thread on this Joe guy a bit ago when he was saying pepe wasn't racist, both sides, liberals are making too big a deal, etc etc? And now he invites this guy? Honestly, he's alt right even if he doesn't self identify. If he wants so associate with those beliefs and spread them to his followers he'll be called on it.
But that's actually fucking true. Pepe is co-opted but that doesn't make it inherently racist, like the N word by nature

Cvie

9wrDO_s-200x150.gif

Come the fuck on dude. I hate this bullshit.

So what Richard Spencer and Joe Rogan are the same level now? Y'all niggas trippin

Richard Spencer is extreme right hiding behind the alt right label. Rogen is probably more in line with the average alt righter.

edit actually fuck em their all pretty exterme

yuoke

Banned
Joe Rogan is just a looney at this point, but I still thought it was hilarious how he roasted mencia.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Why people still take this guy seriously outside of fear factor and mma I don't know. The whole "lets hear both sides" and "I'm just asking questions" shtick shouldn't apply to everything.

I mean I'm a listener, but trust me I don't, nor have I ever, taken him seriously.

CGwizz

What, now Joe Roagan is Alt right ? Shit must be a diferent guy than the one i watch sometimes.
Never seen him say any racist or sexist shit.

If he is alt right i dont know wtf is your concept of one alt right person.

Richard Spencer is extreme right hiding behind the alt right label. Rogen is probably more in line with the average alt righter.
Yea so no. I listen to him all the time and he's not like the way u are thinking.

If all u catch are the headlines about this guy then sure I could see your point but there's a pretty evident difference and anyone that actually listens to him wouldn't put him into the same category.

We gotta stop boxing people in and outraging so frequently, it shows a lack of tact and instead an loosens the thread on what we consider bad and dangerous

CGwizz

Sure is giving a lot of these dudes a platform. He's super buddy buddy with Alex Jones last I saw, but I must be tripping.

Last i saw he made fun of jones , last i saw he trashed trump on the charlotsville situation, last i saw he trashed the nazis for it too. Yes i think you are tripping a little or please show us proof of what you are saying.

Ponn

Banned
I mean I'm a listener, but trust me I don't, nor have I ever, taken him seriously.

Are you all his listeners? Even if you don't believe everything he says, if you listen to him you must be somewhat a fan, and its always going to lead to some kind of bias and giving him a pass on shit. We see this shit with youtubers and others all the time, it allows their platform and ideals to spread if its accepted. Alt-righters know it, youtubers know it, Joe Rogan knows it.

edit: Kind of like his fanboys in this very thread conveniently not addressing that post he apparently agreed with above.

Foffy

Banned
Rogan has no filter as to whom he picks for his podcast.

We can go from Brian Cox, Laurence Krauss, and Neil deGrasse Tyson to Milo, Sargon, and Alex fuckin' Jones.

Props on him being an "open platform" but man he's giving a voice to some questionable people, too.

Cvie

Yea so no. I listen to him all the time and he's not like the way u are thinking.

If all u catch are the headlines about this guy then sure I could see your point but there's a pretty evident difference and anyone that actually listens to him wouldn't put him into the same category.

We gotta stop boxing people in and outraging so frequently, it shows a lack of tact and instead an loosens the thread on what we consider bad and dangerous

Ive listened to at least 100 of his podcasts, mostly when he has other comedians on.

Armaros

You can tell who actually read the entire OP and not just the title of the thread.

The OP specially stated he doesn't believe Rogan is alt-right, just that he likes to give alt-right people a big platform in the name of 'both sideism'

Was talking about this earlier today.

Sure you do. You take him seriously. He takes himself seriously. If he didn't, he wouldn't be doing this, and if you didn't, you wouldn't keep tuning in.

"Taking it seriously" isn't solely confined to listening/reading with a furrowed brow and a frown, thinking so hard on every syllable that your colon might burst from the effort. That's not all that "taking it seriously" is or can be.

"Taking it seriously" is just a phrase that means you care enough to pay attention to something in the hopes it'll be worth the time you spend on it. Because if you didn't care even that much, you'd just pull a sock out of the hamper, fill it, and take another nap until you had to go to work/school whatever.

So yeah, he cares. He cares a lot. He couldn't do what he does if he didn't. And you care enough to keep listening every week and admit you're still a listener even though this guy keeps letting disgusting motherfuckers get free run of his megaphone for hours at a time.

That's taking it seriously.

Anyway, Joe Rogan is like a pair of pull-ups for intellectual bedwetters. That's basically his appeal. He's a dimbulb who is just smart enough to provide an aspirational figure for other assholes who want to feel smart without having to make a commitment to actually learning shit.

That sorta thing appeals to training-wheels cynics who care more about cheating their way to unearned intellectual "superiority" than they do actually knowing whatever the fuck it is they're talking about.

dude, Richard Spencer is the person who came up with the label "alt-right", explicitly to make his white nationalist views more palatable to the mainstream.

Cvie

You can tell who actually read the entire OP and not just the title of the thread.

The OP specially stated he doesn't believe Rogan is alt-right, just that he likes to give alt-right people a big platform in the name of 'both sideism'

I don't need to read the OP, ive listened to alot of his podcasts.

Joe Rogan himself calls Alex Jones crazy. Should we attack Al Franken for being friends with Republicans across the isle as well? Like come the fuck on, not everything is so black and white

Symbol vs Cartoon? Just lol
How do you think that cartoon is used in all modern context? As a symbol right? lol?

Dude, dude. Alt-right IS the "extreme right." Like, they literally came up with the term because white nationalist was too on the nose.

Jeels

But that's actually fucking true. Pepe is co-opted but that doesn't make it inherently racist, like the N word by nature

Sorry not "wasn't", "isn't". And that's no longer true. Pepe has been completed opted as you said, even the original creator is trying to get him back from these losers.

SpacLock

I love Joe's podcast. He's a very open minded individual and usually just asks the questions, and you don't have to align with the guests beliefs to enjoy it. I see absolutely nothing wrong with having James Demore on his show...

Armaros

I don't need to read the OP, ive listened to alot of his podcasts.

So you dont believe he gives a platform to alt-right people like Milo, Sargon and other people? Which factually has happened?

While listening to his podcast?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom