• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Joe Rogan extends platform to former Google employee James Demore

Status
Not open for further replies.

FiggyCal

Banned
I seriously expect some mild background entertainment, I suppose. But no I really don't take the meat-head comedian "seriously" in most understandings of the word.

People are really into this "don't give a platform" stuff, but I love listening to people I don't agree with so that I can know what they really say and why I really disagree with them. I'm not saying it's not problematic... but there are motivations to listen to fringe views so that you can understand the political landscape. Maybe I'm the one who's going to use that knowledge to write an assessment of the right in Slate, you know?

But not everything thinks like you do. Just look at the comment section at the amount of people that agree with the guest and are glad he was given a platform... for 2 and half hours.

Foffy

Banned
I can kind of forgive Maher because his issue is agism really; he's in his fuckin' sixties. People don't change their ways or views at that point.

He probably never knew or grew up with the understanding of transgendered people as many of us do.

We can fault him for this and especially because he should try to "keep up" on his guests. He's done it for some, and not others. You'd figure with Milo he'd dig a bit.

Sianos

Okay so Bill Maher is ignorant to the facts. I guarantee u if he knew beforehand all about transgenders he wouldn't have slipped up like that. Not a lot of people know xyz about transgenders as it's a relativity fresh dataset in the minds of people (especially celebs).

No matter how I phrase or rephrase the above tho I just look like a transphobe sympathizer tho which is entirely not what I'm saying so if u are raging throughout my whole post my apologies (srs, I am for LGBT rights)

if someone begs to publicly debate on the equal humanity of a group of people, they better show up to the debate with a grasp of what they are claiming to defend

or else they have accomplished less than nothing, and should consider keeping their mouth shut until they do some more research, because losing the debate on the equal humanity of a group of people is unacceptable

Okay? What does that have to do with natural selection? And being 'outraged'? Can you please type out your points instead of vaguely gesturing towards them?
The natural selection thing was a joke, further exasterbated by my avatar pulling u deeper into my realm
For example: You don't call people "transgenders"
You're right, I was typing too fast. I meant to put transgendered people, no disrespect. I'd feel some type of way if someone called us blacks
Yep and why do you think that is?
My entirety of comments ITT. In other words, if I'm not 100% with u verbatim I'm against u

fester

Banned
People always say this, but what gets you outright banned? Examples?

Bigots don't like getting called out on their bullshit as it hurts their feelings. If only the liberals would be more tolerant of intolerance, NeoGAF would be a safer place.

TCKaos

ITT: Hot takes by a bunch of people who didn't even attempt to listen to the podcast and probably didn't actually read any of the document written by Damore

Slayven

I can kind of forgive Maher because his issue is agism really; he's in his fuckin' sixties. People don't change their ways or views at that point.

He probably never knew or grew up with the understand of transgendered people as many of us do.

We can fault him for this and especially because he should try to "keep up" on his guests. He's done it for some, and not others. You'd figure with Milo he'd dig a bit.

It's not ageism, it's egoism. His opinions are his opinions and damn everyone. When folks talk about the cartoonish liberal elite, Mahr is that in living form

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
But not everything thinks like you do. Just look at the comment section at the amount of people that agree with the guest and are glad he was given a platform... for 2 and half hours.

I do see the point there. That's true. I'm always surprised by how many people are fully on board with not just Rogen but Rubin, Milo, Adam Carolla, whatever show, etc. They're always irony watches for me... or maybe a little bit like research into fringe groups. You know, sometimes I agree with what's being said. Sometimes I'm seething with rage or rolling my eyes or gagging a little bit.

ITT: Hot takes by a bunch of people who didn't even attempt to listen to the podcast and probably didn't actually read any of the document written by Damore

How much of this thread did you read before offering up this inaccurate summation of the discussion you're tenuously joining?

BY2K

Membero Americo
screenshot_91.png

"Cultural Marxism has shown a chink in its armor by attacking/rousing the titan that is gaming culture."

Not even gaming community or industry.

Its culture.

jhjlG5Y.gif

I've been banned twice in almost quick succession (maybe 3 times but honeslty I forgot).

I'm actually scared to post why bc I don't want to get banned again bc I like posting in the FF brave exvius community thread.

FiggyCal

Banned

He probably never knew or grew up with the understand of transgendered people as many of us do.

I think Milo got some push back from one of the guests (I don't exactly remember when), but that's another issue with putting these types of guys on your show. You have a time limit, you have topics to get to, etc. You can't keep stopping every 3 seconds to correct or argue with someone over every little thing they say. So Milo got away with a lot.

But also Bill should know better when it came to the transgender comment.

Riposte

This Demore guy really isn't a good talker, he doesn't have much presence and doesn't really know how to direct conversation. I guess that's the gap between the comedians, lecturers, celebs, etc. Rogan normally has vs. some programmer.

The idea that Rogan, a MMA meat-head, will be the one to legitimatize Damore and not the psychologists/biologists/scientists whom were directly or indirectly supportive of him is quite odd.

SpacLock

Listen, I'm left, always have been, but the way people are treated here with different views is terrible, and I'm not going to dig up examples. During the election I expressed my displeasure with Hillary and Trump plenty of times, but my views on Hillary being a terrible candidate were flamed.

Thread has entered phase three.

Lmao.

Gleethor

If the past year is any indication, giving this person a platform is a wonderful idea that will have no negative repercussions, and is an idea 100% fueled by a desire to foster mutual understanding between people with different opinions and definitely not solely to trigger the liberals because spite is the only thing fueling your ideology at this point.

Armaros

Listen, I'm left, always have been, but the way people are treated here with different views is terrible, and I'm not going to dig up examples. During the election I expressed my displeasure with Hillary and Trump plenty of times, but my views on Hillary being a terrible candidate were flamed.

Lmao.

Nice moving of your goalposts.

First it was bans, now its just flames.

We certainly have. And we already had this discussion in another old thread. But hey, don't let me get in the way of your hot take.

I still continue to be baffled at how Rogan and his podcast became so popular. The guy I know most from Fear Factor has one of the most listened to podcasts out there.

Wide range of guests.

Dude has had everyone from Neil Degrasse Tyson to Jamie Foxx on his show. He even had Immortal Technique on there. I think they talked about eating vegetables, and animals that can fuck you up.

commedieu

Banned
I did and the analogy wasn't effectively countered either dude. We are talking platforms. And which has more exposure? Joe Rogan or CNN?

He had fucking Richard Spencer and the KKK on there and I had never even heard of Richard Spencer before watching that show so how am I wrong? Issa platform afterall

(Nope)

You were talking about how rogan is more than his headlines. -- saying that people get the wrong idea. That's nonsense and you know it.

I listen to him, he's about as transparent as you can be when it comes to his core beliefs. I mention platform, and I should add normalizing it amount people like yourself that see no issue with it. I'm not saying he should be censored. But I know what to expect when it comes to real topics with mr.rogan.

Regardless of you being (black) or not, Rogan genuinely doesn't grasp the issues. Why something would be controversial outside of the window dressing of "let's see what this Google guy has to say, seems interesting." That much is clear with his most recent bizzare pepe defense force team 6.

But let's not act as if it's just about giving someone a platform. Trump won, white supremacists are running over people, and gamer gate neckbeards hate women. Joe doesn't know any better. Because he doesn't need to, and never has likely in his life.

Cvie

Dude, dude. Alt-right IS the "extreme right." Like, they literally came up with the term because white nationalist was too on the nose.

dude, Richard Spencer is the person who came up with the label "alt-right", explicitly to make his white nationalist views more palatable to the mainstream.

just spent some time reading up and sorry i didn't know, guess i shouldve paid more attention. For some reason I thought alt right spun out of the whole "anti Politically Correct" nonsense and then the others lunatics jumped in but it seems its the other way around.

Slayven

Lmao.

What are these different views?

Here's how I would categorize the Alt Right into sub categories because I think there's a lot of misconceptions here.

Neo-Nazis - These are the original Alt-Right. They are the guys who smartened up and realized that cosplaying and burning crosses wasn't bringing anyone to their side. They toned down their language, came up with alternative terms to make themselves more palatable and adopted less hateful of a stance. A lot of the Alt-Right has a weird level of respect for Asians on a fetish level - some have even had Asian girlfriends (Richard Spencer himself). Many of their more moderate members claim they don't actively hate other races, but want a white ethnostate for white people like Israel has for Jews.

The Alt-Lite - The Alt-Lite tends to not be as self aware as the Alt-Right is. They were roped in by the Alt-Right's moderating language and didn't realize what they were joining and are now so large that they outnumber the original Alt-Right. They have their own echo chamber and refuse to believe that they're racist (some because they are that dumb, others because of plausible deniability) because they oppose immigration of all kinds, not just non-whites (or so they claim). They generally accept people of other ethnicity (except for Muslims) as long as they fall into line with what they believe. Because they are not as outrightly racist as the Alt-Right, you'll see tokens like Milo, the occasional black Trump supporter, Asians, Hispanics in this. They are small but they serve as very useful tools for the Alt-Lite to deflect from their racism by pointing out that these people exist within their ranks. This is where most millennial aged Trump supporters are.

"Centerists" aka: Useful Idiots - These are people who honestly did not vote or support Trump but are too dull or ignorant to see the forest from the trees for who he is and what he represents. They're the "Both sides are equally bad" types who have helped the Alt-Right and Alt-Lite find legitimate grounds for their position by defending their right to free speech rather than looking at the bigger picture. This is where Bill Burr was until fairly recently when he FINALLY came out against Trump during the Charlottesville debacle. Joe Rogan falls into this category. There are varying degrees of support here, some people in this group are honestly that stupid that they believe it - Bill Burr. Others are people like Colin Moriarty or Phillip DeFranco who are doing it to help moderate and legitimize the message of the alt right and by pretending to be neutral and unbiased. I would also put Bernie or Busters types in this category, they're one of the groups that unwittingly help spread the narrative that both sides were equal. Bill Maher is another guy that is in this group to a lesser degree. He's unabashedly anti-Trump and anti-Republican but he's been spreading the narrative that the SJW scourge help swing the election for Trump which isn't true.

For the most part, the Alt-Right hates anyone that is more moderate than they are but many of their more intelligent and forward thinking members are smart enough to know that they need them as useful idiots. A lot of their hardcore members abhor the fact that there's a homosexual (Milo) speaking out on their behalf for instance but don't care because ultimately, he brings more people over to the Alt Lite. The Alt-Lite is where the Alt-Right do most of their recruiting now because it has become so large.

I think it's very important to be very aware of their tactics because these aren't your grandpa's conservatives anymore. They aren't the old rich white men who were flirting with the extreme elements of the right to get more votes. These guys are young, tech saavy, disenfranchised white men who done with existing on the fringe of society and are looking to become more mainstream. Trump is their Obama and they no longer just hang out on Stormfront and 4Chan. They're not Reddit and if it weren't for NeoGaf's moderation policies, they'd be here too.

Nothing works like this. The video is going to get a million views, and probably a few million downloads or whatever. A few dozen people pointing out where he's wrong on an internet forum aren't going to take anything away from his massive, mostly right-leaning audience willing to eat up anything he or his guests say.

So hes show should be taken down then from all platforms. Apple and Google (Youtube) are platform givers and thus alt-right breeders.

Also, can I just say that when Rogen has these right wing guys on his podcast, he never argues against them, its just a steady string of "Yep, you're right, gotcha." and then Joe starts offering them examples that bolster their shitty beliefs.

It's fucked and it's not him being a comedian, HE AGREES WITH THESE PEOPLE.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
"Cultural Marxism has shown a chink in its armor by attacking/rousing the titan that is gaming culture."

Not even gaming community or industry.

Its culture.

jhjlG5Y.gif
I'll murder a Marxist over horse armor DLC.

Foffy

Banned
It's not ageism, it's egoism. His opinions are his opinions and damn everyone. When folks talk about the cartoonish liberal elite, Mahr is that in living form

That's part of it, too. He has a very much "I'm right and if you disagree you're wrong."

But we have to remember that involves views he's molded and worked around with. Transgender people is not something that fits into his liberal atheist lens, for his views are mostly shaped as anti-theist and anti-conservative. You could say his views on things is based on the problems of the GOP and theology, and much else is left astray.

You'd assume that would mean he'd get trans issues more sincerely seeing as this is a topic that aligns both toxic pits he attacks, but I see that more in the lens of age. I see more people around the age of you and I caring for those issues more so than our parents.

I think Milo got some push back from one of the guests (I don't exactly remember when), but that's another issue with putting these types of guys on your show. You have a time limit, you have topics to get to, etc. You can't keep stopping every 3 seconds to correct or argue with someone over every little thing they say. So Milo got away with a lot.

But also Bill should know better when it came to the transgender comment.

This is true, but that highlights a problem of that episode: Milo was challenged in a post-show segment by other guests on the panel. Maher was there really to serve questions. Usually he is the instigator to guests who have bad or alarming views. It shouldn't be up to Malcolm Nance to put Milo in his place on the Real Time with Bill Maher show.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Also, can I just say that when Rogen has these right wing guys on his podcast, he never argues against them, its just a steady string of "Yep, you're right, gotcha." and then Joe starts offering them examples that bolster their shitty beliefs.

It's fucked and it's not him being a comedian, HE AGREES WITH THESE PEOPLE.

I'll give him that one time he called out Sargon for playing the victim of something that hadn't happened (read: people writing over-incriminating articles against him about what happened at vidcon.)

FiggyCal

Banned
I do see the point there. That's true. I'm always surprised by how many people are fully on board with not just Rogen but Rubin, Milo, Adam Carolla, whatever show, etc. They're always irony watches for me... or maybe a little bit like research into fringe groups. You know, sometimes I agree with what's being said. Sometimes I'm seething with rage or rolling my eyes or gagging a little bit.

I still like some things he does that are non-political, like the Scientology episodes which were great (but even then he's kind of not-all-there). But it's clear that he has a "type" of guest (when it comes to politics) - real neo-conservative, libertarian, right-leaning, or even reactionary guys. I was really surprised when he got Abby Martin, a bona fide leftist, on the show. If he did more of that, I would have a lot less problems with him. Dave Rubin has a similar problem.

(Nope)

You were talking about how rogan is more than his headlines. -- saying that people get the wrong idea. That's nonsense and you know it.

I listen to him, he's about as transparent as you can be when it comes to his core beliefs. I mention platform, and I should add normalizing it amount people like yourself that see no issue with it. I'm not saying he should be censored. But I know what to expect when it comes to real topics with mr.rogan.

Regardless of you being (black) or not, Rogan genuinely doesn't grasp the issues. Why something would be controversial outside of the window dressing of "let's see what this Google guy has to say, seems interesting." That much is clear with his most recent bizzare pepe defense force team 6.

But let's not act as if it's just about giving someone a platform. Trump won, white supremacists are running over people, and gamer gate neckbeards hate women. Joe doesn't know any better. Because he doesn't need to, and never has likely in his life.
You're right that he doesn't need to but don't act like he's some sort of avid Trump Supporter. He's a centrist that like's to bring in controversy and his show get's more popularity bc everyday there needs to be a new thing to get upset about (whether it be from a real place or not).

This is the 24hrs Social Media Meme Craze Extravaganza. We don't have a Philando Castille to focus on for the week (Thankfully too, RIP man that shit has me in tears still) so instead we hone in on something a lot less significant (podcast drama vs real life racism/death)

Enzom21

Lmao.

"Trust me guys there are examples but I am not going to post them... but they totally exist."

Neogaf: Joe Rogan, pets an alt-right kindergartner

Neogaf: Joe Rogan, shows evil side on Neil Degassi Tyson interview!!!

Neogaf: Joe Rogan, totally sucks Conor's **** to hype Mayweather fight!

Neogaf: Joe Rogan at it again!

Neogaf: Joe Rogan criticizes Hillary

Neogaf: Joe Rogan might have said something that didn't condemn Ivanka Trump!

Most people here don't agree with Joe Rogan's views. Why so many threads?

totowhoa

Banned
A few years ago when I got into JRE (before I couldn't handle him having guests like this on and just stopped), I remember he had a guest on who called him out on this, and said he had an obligation as somebody with a large audience to not bring cranks on and be considerate about what you expose people to.

He just said "whatever man" in way more words, and said they had a right to talk. I don't disagree with that sentiment, but I was incredibly disappointed that he didn't recognize how irresponsible he was being with his audience.

JRE had some great guests and interviews in the year I listened to it, but all the pseudoscience weirdos and sketchy folk he'd bring on was a huge turn off -- even though he had incredibly bright and talented people on other episodes. His belief in questioning everything went to an extent that was frequently illogical and I just couldn't keep listening.

"Trust me guys there are examples but I am not going to post them... but they totally exist."
This site is censored and heavily leans left. Is this an argument now? "Terrible" may be up for interpretation but it's definitely more of a 100vs1 scenario in this regard

Because he's very popular and the issues those threads are about are generally more serious than the ones you've mockingly listed.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

Completely accurate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom