• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Joe Rogan extends platform to former Google employee James Demore

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do you think that cartoon is used in all modern context? As a symbol right? lol?
"symbol" after it was put into that hate speech term by that group. I laughed at pepe memes before (the non racist etc ones) and guess what? I still laugh at them today.

Everyone just wants to feel outraged in 2017. That's fine ig, natural selection can just run its course while I watch the news of more pointless bullshit and see more online trolling and false outrage

Brakke

Banned
Not really worth getting into the weeds on the ideology here. Joe Rogan is a clown and James Demore is a doofus. Neither is informed or insightful. Why subject yourself to the blithering of idiots?

commedieu

Banned
Yea so no. I listen to him all the time and he's not like the way u are thinking.

If all u catch are the headlines about this guy then sure I could see your point but there's a pretty evident difference and anyone that actually listens to him wouldn't put him into the same category.

We gotta stop boxing people in and outraging so frequently, it shows a lack of tact and instead an loosens the thread on what we consider bad and dangerous

I listen to him. Joe is a privileged white man who has no clue what the fuck he is talking about. Outside of a few things. He doesn't have the sense to realize that giving people a platform is insulting and offensive. He's a white man, so to him, it doesn't have any effect on him. That's why he can hear fascism out, as if there is a grey area to ridding the world of niggers and that women are inferior, or any other shit he entertains.

It's time to stop listening to the guy. And it also time to stop being irritated at people having genuine outrage that a lot of white people are OK with fascists, bigots, sexists, etc. Because there is a conversation to be had, nope. There really isnt. It needs to be burned out and destroyed as it's a cancer in modern society. Folks giving people platforms are never on the right side of history. Much like maher. They are fuckbois, who have no dog in the fight besides ratings. It's real life for the rest of us. To them, it's something to agree to disagree with.

Lost the plot.

Fascism/bigotry/sexism is outrage worthy. Not to some white people (men) because they have nothing to lose. So it's all this yuck yuck Southpark shot of "lol ur triggered? Haaha. Lemme keep making more money than you by default. I don't have these problems, and you should just gee golly lighten up."

Must be nice.

"symbol" after it was put into that hate speech term by that group. I laughed at pepe memes before (the non racist etc ones) and guess what? I still laugh at them today.

Everyone just wants to feel outraged in 2017. That's fine ig, natural selection can just run its course while I watch the news of more pointless bullshit and see more online trolling and false outrage

Uh huh

I do want to know what inherent value does bringing these people on do if you aren't going to shred them to pieces, but I guess we need to just have more conversations about females genetic inferiority intellectually.

So you dont believe he gives a platform to alt-right people like Milo, Sargon and other people? Which factually has happened?

While listening to his podcast?
Bill Maher gave Milo a platform to talk. Controversy for 3 days and everyone moved on. It's just the flavor of the week, u guys give it more attn it deserves and he benefits with exposure from it

FiggyCal

Banned
Sorry not "wasn't", "isn't". And that's no longer true. Pepe has been completed opted as you said, even the original creator is trying to get him back from these losers.

The original creator may have been relevant a decade ago, but he isn't the guy who made the more relevant meme versions.

Last i saw he made fun of jones , last i saw he trashed trump on the charlotsville situation, last i saw he trashed the nazis for it too. Yes i think you are tripping a little or please show us proof of what you are saying.

Boy just try to make it through the McInnes interview where they agree that sometimes women who get raped have orgasms and ANTIFA are bringing it on themselves:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qm9lfWTGmDY

Fat4all

Banned
Anyway, Joe Rogan is like a pair of pull-ups for intellectual bedwetters. That's basically his appeal. He's a dimbulb who is just smart enough to provide an aspirational figure for other assholes who want to feel smart without having to make a commitment to actually learning shit.

That sorta thing appeals to training-wheels cynics who care more about cheating their way to unearned intellectual "superiority" than they do actually knowing whatever the fuck it is they're talking about.

That's fine ig, natural selection can just run its course while I watch the news of more pointless bullshit and see more online trolling and false outrage

1f914.png

Armaros

Bill Maher gave Milo a platform to talk. Controversy for 3 days and everyone moved on. It's just the flavor of the week, u guys give it more attn it deserves and he benefits with exposure from it

Rogan consistently provides a platform for these people.

And Maher was rightly blasted for letting Milo on AND how horribly he did not shut down Milo's awful rhetoric. Rogan has similar instances where he goes full 'both sides' and doesn't call out awful talking points.

You dont want to bring up Maher as a defense.

I listen to him. Joe is a privileged white man who has no clue what the fuck he is talking about. Outside of a few things. He doesn't have the sense to realize that giving people a platform is insulting and offensive. He's a white man, so to him, it doesn't have any effect on him. That's why he can hear fascism out, as if there is a grey area to ridding the world of niggers and that women are inferior, or any other shit he entertains.

It's time to stop listening to the guy. And it also time to stop being irritated at people having genuine outrage that a lot of white people are OK with fascists, bigots, sexists, etc. Because there is a conversation to be had.

Lost the plot.
Okay so what's the argument against W Kamau Bell then? He went to the the fucking KKK and gave them a platform to speak on a nationally broadcasted channel.

Is it because he's a privileged black man that he can't understand why that's "wrong"? Where's the argument there?

Was talking about this earlier today.

Sure you do. You take him seriously. He takes himself seriously. If he didn't, he wouldn't be doing this, and if you didn't, you wouldn't keep tuning in.

"Taking it seriously" isn't solely confined to listening/reading with a furrowed brow and a frown, thinking so hard on every syllable that your colon might burst from the effort. That's not all that "taking it seriously" is or can be.

"Taking it seriously" is just a phrase that means you care enough to pay attention to something in the hopes it'll be worth the time you spend on it. Because if you didn't care even that much, you'd just pull a sock out of the hamper, fill it, and take another nap until you had to go to work/school whatever.

So yeah, he cares. He cares a lot. He couldn't do what he does if he didn't. And you care enough to keep listening every week and admit you're still a listener even though this guy keeps letting disgusting motherfuckers get free run of his megaphone for hours at a time.

That's taking it seriously.

Anyway, Joe Rogan is like a pair of pull-ups for intellectual bedwetters. That's basically his appeal. He's a dimbulb who is just smart enough to provide an aspirational figure for other assholes who want to feel smart without having to make a commitment to actually learning shit.

That sorta thing appeals to training-wheels cynics who care more about cheating their way to unearned intellectual "superiority" than they do actually knowing whatever the fuck it is they're talking about.

Alright, I gotta get this post up on Verrit!

Dr.Acula

Banned
My ish with Rogan's open platform is that it really is open and he talks to people from all walks of life, but when he has someone on that's strictly in the public eye for some kind of political thing (Demore with the diversity memo, Milo as a pundit, or Peterson with his opposition to Canadian legislation on discrimination), it's always a guy on the right who's gotten into trouble for their stances. Has Joe ever had someone on who's primarily a left-wing pundit or blogger or someone of that ilk?

FiggyCal

Banned
Last i saw he made fun of jones , last i saw he trashed trump on the charlotsville situation, last i saw he trashed the nazis for it too. Yes i think you are tripping a little or please show us proof of what you are saying.

He and Jones have a lot of the same beliefs wrt cultural marxism and (at least at one point) the faked moon landing. He also chewed over Pizza-gate for a while, and landed somewhere on: "you have to admit those emails are coded". So He's not quite on Alex Jones' level, but they have a lot in common. And also he keeps inviting Alex to his show along with that Eddie Bravo guy, who is just as insane as far as I'm concerned.

Rogan consistently provides a platform for these people.

And Maher was rightly blasted for letting Milo on AND how horribly he did not shut down Milo's awful rhetoric. Rogan has similar instances where he goes full 'both sides' and doesn't call out awful talking points.

You dont want to bring up Maher as a defense.
And y is that?
He even has the perfect avatar. Not convinced this isn't a troll.
Can't respond to this string of comments well bc ik ill get banned, smh

It's part of the ADL's list of hate symbols. And like my original example, both meant different things before horrible people co-opted them and now they mean something different. The old context no longer matters.

I don't see any value in pointing out that it once meant something else when it no longer means that, and it comes across as a way to justify embracing a hate symbol. You can still enjoy the cartoons and all, but you're gonna be raising some eyebrows if you're tripping over yourself to point out that Pepe was cool back in 2013.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Sargon, Milo, Rogan, Ben SHaprio and others are automatic dismissal in my eyes

Azzanadra

Rogan gives a platform to literally enough big enough to warrant it if they want to, him going in on people like Crowder and cornering Milo gives credence to him having a spine unlike say Dave Rubin. I don't watch him much anymore due to not having as much time, but I appreciate what he does. His Harris and deGrasse Tyson videos are especially good for anyone who doesn't want anything too political and just plain interesting.

EDIT: Can't believe I forgot, his one with Henry Rollins was damn near inspiring.

Armaros

And y is that?

Maher sat in his seat and shruged his shoulders when Milo stated a large % of transgendered commit sexual assaults (absurdly false)

milo_transphobia_bill_maher_by_digi_matrix-dazgak9.gif

or how about

milo_bill_maher_thats_not_unreasonable_trans_bathr_by_digi_matrix-dazu1i4.gif

Still want to use Maher as a defense for giving shitty people like Milo a plateform?

By having someone on his show doesn't "legitimize" anything. Seriously, pick fights where they should be. You act like Rogan is some big political player in the country. Your hurting the just battles in the long run.

He's a comedian that does smokes weed constantly and like wolves and does a 3 hour show. Find things in the show that are worthy to talk about and "expose" him.

It's part of the ADL's list of hate symbols. And like my original example, both meant different things before horrible people co-opted them and now they mean something different. The old context no longer matters.

I don't see any value in pointing out that it once meant something else when it no longer means that, and it comes across as a way to justify embracing a hate symbol. You can still enjoy the cartoons and all, but you're gonna be raising some eyebrows if you're tripping over yourself to point out that Pepe was cool back in 2013.
Fair enough
He might not be alt right but he certainly talks like one. Especially that bit about natural selection.
Lol this forum can be so stiff sometimes. Lighten up everyone yeesh, I voted Hillary and love Obama (srs) pitchforks down pls
Lol just share your truth, my dude. Let it all out.
Alright this is tough but... *gulp* I'm
black

Clawww

Sure you do. You take him seriously. He takes himself seriously. If he didn't, he wouldn't be doing this, and if you didn't, you wouldn't keep tuning in.

"Taking it seriously" isn't solely confined to listening/reading with a furrowed brow and a frown, thinking so hard on every syllable that your colon might burst from the effort. That's not all that "taking it seriously" is or can be.

"Taking it seriously" is just a phrase that means you care enough to pay attention to something in the hopes it'll be worth the time you spend on it. Because if you didn't care even that much, you'd just pull a sock out of the hamper, fill it, and take another nap until you had to go to work/school whatever.

So yeah, he cares. He cares a lot. He couldn't do what he does if he didn't. And you care enough to keep listening every week and admit you're still a listener even though this guy keeps letting disgusting motherfuckers get free run of his megaphone for hours at a time.

It's sad how effective this kind of sophistry has been, and it's only getting worse.

commedieu

Banned
Okay so what's the argument against W Kamau Bell then? He went to the the fucking KKK and gave them a platform to speak on a nationally broadcasted channel.

Is it because he's a privileged black man that he can't understand why that's "wrong"? Where's the argument there?

I don't care to participate in whataboutism. Make a thread about it. Your post is you casting rogan as being taken the wrong way by people that only read headlines.

You're acting like Joe rogan isn't your standard cast wealthy white man who doesn't really have to take shit seriously. It comes out in his words. Hours and hours of material, you get little tidbits into his way of thinking. He's funny when stuff is light hearted material, fights, comedy, pot, etc. But he doesn't see the problem with giving folks platforms on his show, or not really offer any substantive rebuttal to these life altering agendas permeating folks lives around the world.

It takes me off guard, then I realize what he is. And to temper my expectations. But he's very good at explaining his views, what he is OK with hearing without a counter, whether or not he realizes it, is another thing.

Outrage to people like rogan, is a joke, because it's a point of view they are privileged enough to have. For others, it's not funny.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I still continue to be baffled at how Rogan and his podcast became so popular. The guy I know most from Fear Factor has one of the most listened to podcasts out there.

Maher sat in his seat and shruged his shoulders when Milo stated a large % of transgendered commit sexual assaults (absurdly false)

milo_transphobia_bill_maher_by_digi_matrix-dazgak9.gif

or how about

milo_bill_maher_thats_not_unreasonable_trans_bathr_by_digi_matrix-dazu1i4.gif

Still want to use Maher as a defense for giving shitty people like Milo a plateform?
Okay so Bill Maher is ignorant to the facts. I guarantee u if he knew beforehand all about transgenders he wouldn't have slipped up like that. Not a lot of people know xyz about transgenders as it's a relativity fresh dataset in the minds of people (especially celebs).

No matter how I phrase or rephrase the above tho I just look like a transphobe sympathizer tho which is entirely not what I'm saying so if u are raging throughout my whole post my apologies (srs, I am for LGBT rights)

Slayven

You really comparing Kamau Bell to Joe Rogan?

And y is that?

Fair enough

Lol this forum can be so stiff sometimes. Lighten up everyone yeesh, I voted Hillary and love Obama (srs) pitchforks down pls

Alright this is tough but... *gulp* I'm
black

Okay? What does that have to do with natural selection? And being 'outraged'? Can you please type out your points instead of vaguely gesturing towards them?

FiggyCal

Banned
By having someone on his show doesn't "legitimize" anything. Seriously, pick fights where they should be. You act like Rogan is some big political player in the country. Your hurting the just battles in the long run.

He's a comedian that does smokes weed constantly and like wolves and does a 3 hour show. Find things in the show that are worthy to talk about and "expose" him.

Nothing works like this. The video is going to get a million views, and probably a few million downloads or whatever. A few dozen people pointing out where he's wrong on an internet forum aren't going to take anything away from his massive, mostly right-leaning audience willing to eat up anything he or his guests say.

Sianos

ooh, i wonder if damore learned any psychological theories besides the "big five" personality traits circa the 1970s to cite? maybe even one that's slightly relevant to this meandering thesis?

(my prediction: unlikely)

Okay so Bill Maher is ignorant to the facts. I guarantee u if he knew beforehand all about transgenders he wouldn't have slipped up like that. Not a lot of people know xyz about transgenders as it's a relativity fresh dataset in the minds of people (especially celebs).

No matter how I phrase or rephrase the above tho I just look like a transphobe sympathizer tho which is entirely not what I'm saying so if u are raging throughout my whole post my apologies (srs, I am for LGBT rights)

I find the fact you have to tell us you support LBGT people in parentheses hilarious.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious

I seriously expect some mild background entertainment, I suppose. But no I really don't take the meat-head comedian "seriously" in most understandings of the word.

People are really into this "don't give a platform" stuff, but I love listening to people I don't agree with so that I can know what they really say and why I really disagree with them. I'm not saying it's not problematic... but there are motivations to listen to fringe views so that you can understand the political landscape. Maybe I'm the one who's going to use that knowledge to write an assessment of the right in Slate, you know?

SpacLock

You can't say anything here without being barraged with hate unless it aligns extremely left. I know it's sort of off topic, but just sayin'.

Slayven

Okay? What does that have to do with natural selection? And being 'outraged'? Can you please type out your points instead of vaguely gesturing towards them?

When you have no real point you run into a room screaming "OUTRAGE!" when everyone is having a calm debate

Yep and why do you think that is?

You really comparing Kamau Bell to Joe Rogan?
I did and the analogy wasn't effectively countered either dude. We are talking platforms. And which has more exposure? Joe Rogan or CNN?

He had fucking Richard Spencer and the KKK on there and I had never even heard of Richard Spencer before watching that show so how am I wrong? Issa platform afterall

"He's a comedian" is such a transparently shitty defense in and of itself.

Unless the conversation is happening as part of a planned, scripted sketch he's performing in character, his status as a comedian has nothing to do with his allowing inarguably harmful/hateful/bigoted/sexist viewpoints on his air for extended periods of time with minimal (if any) pushback and frequent (if not constant) concessions to those bankrupt views.

Ottaro

Most people don't have this problem. You should reflect on why that is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom