• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Joe Rogan extends platform to former Google employee James Demore

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sianos

oh man this one doesn't have sources in the description OR a transcript

maybe damore would have cited the work of obscure psychologist sigmund freud this time, but now i'll never know!

not that anyone who supports damore would have responded to my takedown this time either

Azzanadra

I still like some things he does that are non-political, like the Scientology episodes which were great (but even then he's kind of not-all-there). But it's clear that he has a "type" of guest - real neo-conservative, libertarian, right-leaning, or even reactionary guys. I was really surprised when he got Abby Martin, a bona fide leftist, on the show. If he did more of that, I would have a lot less problems with him. Dave Rubin has a similar problem.

I agree he has all sorts of people, but I don;t agree he has a type of guest. He has had Sam Harris, Cenk (I know GAF doesn't like this one), Russel Brand etc.

...Actually now that I think about it, as someone who has been following the podcast for a year now, he honestly has had more leftist guests than right wing ones. Its just the Jordan Peterson/Milo/whoever episodes are a lot more hyped up due to the controversy that people miss the hundreds of other podcasts.

gotta love this argument

as if people cant mind multiple things at the same time

'less significant'

so its still significant, ya?
So If I have one doctor and he can only heal one person who should he heal? The one who got shot in the head or the one who got got in the finger?

Significant of course implies importance but adding more or less drives attention. That's just language bruh

Because he's very popular and the issues those threads are about are generally more serious than the ones you've mockingly listed.

Serious to whom, Neogaf? Just sayin. Let it go if he's talking shit. I like the guy, I disagree with a ton of his views, but damn, he's not moving the political landscape

Foffy

Banned
This site is censored and heavily leans left. Is this an argument now? "Terrible" may be up for interpretation but it's definitely more of a 100vs1 scenario in this regard

Censored? From what?

tumblr_inline_o58r6dmSfe1suaed2_500.gif

commedieu

Banned
You're right that he doesn't need to but don't act like he's some sort of avid Trump Supporter. He's a centrist that like's to bring in controversy and his show get's more popularity bc everyday there needs to be a new thing to get upset about (whether it be from a real place or not).

This is the 24hrs Social Media Meme Craze Extravaganza. We don't have a Philando Castille to focus on for the week (Thankfully too, RIP man that shit has me in tears still) so instead we hone in on something a lot less significant (podcast drama vs real life racism/death)

Didn't say he was a trump supporter. Said that he's a privileged white man that doesn't know any better. Nor does he confront the issues as much as an idea about a fair fight, or defending graham hancocks honor.

As far as, affected, POC. A centrist might not be throttling you in your sleep, but they are leaving the lights on for the attack.

There is no centrist position of literal white supremacy/fascism/sexism. That's pretty much the point to those it matters to. Rogans ratings are good because he gets good interviews with people, and he's a funny person. He isn't in need of some ratings boost by highlighting this Google moron, who wrote bullshit and got shit canned. Same with maher. There's a difference between controversy and hate. But he's lucky enough to not be the target, as is a large % of his audience that might frequent redpill and r/thedonald.

I think it's best if we just ignore your odd parenthetical comments.

Serious to whom, Neogaf? Just sayin. Let it go if he's talking shit. I like the guy, I disagree with a ton of his views, but damn, he's not moving the political landscape
I think it's fair to assume that he influences a large number of watchers/listeners, so it's worth mentioning if he may be courting the worst sort of people.

Also, it was pointed out that a good bit of threads about him are actually just links to his show.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I still like some things he does that are non-political, like the Scientology episodes which were great (but even then he's kind of not-all-there). But it's clear that he has a "type" of guest (when it comes to politics) - real neo-conservative, libertarian, right-leaning, or even reactionary guys. I was really surprised when he got Abby Martin, a bona fide leftist, on the show. If he did more of that, I would have a lot less problems with him. Dave Rubin has a similar problem.

Very true. I especially agree about Rubin. "Let's have a conversation with both sides" -> "50 straight weeks of right-wing or alt-right guests"

Neogaf: Joe Rogan, pets an alt-right kindergartner

Neogaf: Joe Rogan, shows evil side on Neil Degassi Tyson interview!!!

Neogaf: Joe Rogan, totally sucks Conor's **** to hype Mayweather fight!

Neogaf: Joe Rogan at it again!

Neogaf: Joe Rogan criticizes Hillary

Neogaf: Joe Rogan might have said something that didn't condemn Ivanka Trump!

Most people here don't agree with Joe Rogan's views. Why so many threads?
That's a lot of straw you're hoarding there.

Foffy

Banned
If you're being banned for stating an opinion then that's censorship correct?

W H A T?

From the Terms of Service on this very forum...

"NeoGAF is a forum for holding civil, evidence-based discussion. Do not post disingenuously, or in an inflammatory manner for the sole purpose of upsetting others. Negative commentary and minority opinions are not frowned upon, but members are expected to be able to substantiate their positions. At the same time, do not derail threads around yourself or attempt to respond to every single reaction among dozens after posting a comment that is reacted to severely en masse."

People often get banned for opinions that are not backed up with reason. If you state an opinion that's offensive or seen as hostile and cannot back it up, you are just creating chaos.

Nothing! Absolutely nothing!!! All talk is permitted here

Edit: ...oh.. *ahem*...ha..ha...

All talk that can be backed up is permitted here. Where did you get the idea that this is some safe space zone?

Can you name views that get people banned? I'm sure these views are because they're unaccountable and used to perpetuate myth, like PizzaGate nonsense.

Enzom21

Baiting the dude to get banned, that's some cold shit but unsurprising lol.

I need something to listen as I do some work, thanks OP.

What a ridiculous asinine statement. We are responsible for everything we post, no one can bait you into a ban.
If you've been banned that's on you and no one else.
If you're being banned for stating an opinion then that's censorship correct?

What kind of opinions get you auto-banned here?

I'm kind of torn. People like this guy and Milo are glorified shit-stirrers who don't really "earn" themselves a platform. But on the other hand, the alt-right is a big enough movement that they should have voices (for the simple reason of having communication and avoiding echo chambers). And it's up to the alt-right, not us, who those voices are. And I hope (but don't have much faith) that Joe Rogan will actually challenge this guy appropriately.

I know this site seems to think Sam Harris is a raging bigot, but I urge anyone to check out his podcast with Scott Adams (creator of the Dilbert comic and an outspoken Trump supporter). The guy was saying some absolutely stupid shit in Trump's defence, but Harris I felt did a really good job in calling him out.

Or, and hear me out..we can discuss him on the discussion board.

lhnl88N.gif

Yes we can... in 59 threads. Alright my question was answered. Neogaf does not like that his message gets to a lot of people. and since Neogaf gets to alot of people.. Well, we can change that. WIth just one more thread. Most of you miss the entire point of his show, which is to kind of expose both sides

What kind of opinions get you auto-banned here?

Quite a few my friend, just stay aware. Neogaf takes hard stances on things, but 80% of them are honorable without question. The other 20% usually are just temp bans

But really, what opinions are bringing an auto-ban that you find unfair?
The last thing I got banned for I was actually dying of laughter for. Someone had to have had it out for me. Let me see if I can pull it up. I wont post the post but I'll tell u the thread

FiggyCal

Banned
I agree he has all sorts of people, but I don;t agree he has a type of guest. He has had Sam Harris, Cenk (I know GAF doesn't like this one), Russel Brand etc.

...Actually now that I think about it, as someone who has been following the podcast for a year now, he honestly has had more leftist guests than right wing ones. Its just the Jordan Peterson/Milo/whoever episodes are a lot more hyped up due to the controversy that people miss the hundreds of other podcasts.

I count Sam Harris as a neo-con and I'm sure there will be people that disagree.

I'm not saying he never had people on the left on his show, but I don't think you're quite right in saying there's more of them. Especially recently: when was Cenk last on Joe Rogan's show? 3 years ago?

And I actually meant specifically when it comes to the political episodes, anyway. I don't think the political views of his comedian and sports guests really mean much.

Yes we can... in 59 threads. Alright my question was answered. Neogaf does not like that his message gets to a lot of people. and since Neogaf gets to alot of people.. Well, we can change that. WIth just one more thread. Most of you miss the entire point of his show, which is to kind of expose both sides

Quite a few my friend, just stay aware
That's not really what I said if you're referring to my post.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Remember, its these kinds of alt right creeps who are flirting with genetic inferiority pseudo science, along with Sam Harris

DO NOT GIVE THEM ANY QUARTER.

Once it goes into that kind of territory, it is legitimately a danger to mankind.

I mean, I'm just answering your question. He obviously has fans here on good old leftyGAF..you're clearly one of them. What's the problem? Ignore the thread if you don't like it. Not too difficult..

My bad, Joe Rogan is an alt-right supporter, let's get 'im d00ds
Not get him like capture him. More let him know that his views are harmful. He has a large audience that does listen to him. Same with the gay frog guy. Same with those neckbeard youtubers. Same with those pick up artists.

I don't know why you dislike folks calling out folks when you're calling out gaf. Hypooocrit(ical hit).

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Well we've reached the "snide meta-commentary and side-stepping the actual topic at hand" phase in record time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom