• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Joe Rogan goes full blown MRA; defends Trump, denies gender wage gap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Henkka

Banned
Joe Rogan is a strange one. In my opinion, he's a hack that has a penchant for aggressiveness and purposely entertaining "alt" ideas that the young and naive cling to. His audience is pretty obvious, and some of the shit that comes out of his mouth is pretty fucking stupid.

I find it funny how young progressives will roll their eyes and be baffled at creationism taught in conservative parts of the US, when half of Rogan's podcast is basically "Teach the controversy" manifested. But that's okay, its bigfoot and bulletproof coffee, which is way cooler, but an equal crock of shit all the way through.

I dunno, you make it sound like it's Alex Jones or something, with him ranting about conspiracies by himself for 3 hours. But it's an interview show. They mostly talk about the guest and what they've done, with Rogan occasionally going "WOOOWW!!" while they're telling some story.

The saying is "knowledge is power" not "knowledge and being vaguely familiar with pothead conspiracies are power".

images

That's made me wonder if people don't watch documentaries about people/things that they don't like.

As a big fan of Louis Theroux, does watching his documentaries on Jimmy Savile, Nazis, black nationalists or the Westboro Baptist Church make me a sympathizer or fan of each of the people featured in it? As far as I can tell I haven't turned into any of them yet, but I do find watching them very interesting.

The big difference is that Theroux never comes away from those documentaries saying, "I dunno, some of their points made sense." Also, you know, he does the research.

Audioboxer

That's made me wonder if people don't watch documentaries about people/things that they don't like.

As a big fan of Louis Theroux, does watching his documentaries on Jimmy Savile, Nazis, black nationalists or the Westboro Baptist Church make me a sympathizer or fan of each of the people featured in it? As far as I can tell I haven't turned into any of them yet, but I do find watching them very interesting.

Of course it doesn't, but Louis Thereoux is far more respected than Rogan (and rightfully so). Thereoux is arguably the 'poster boy' for being able to create documentaries on heinous people but be so loved and cherished for his "goofyness" and persona. He's the kind of guy that could say "I don't believe in your Religion because it's a pile of nonsense" and he'd still get an "Awwww Louis". He doesn't even talk like that though (mildly dismissive criticism), which is precisely why even those who don't like him can't help seemingly letting him come and interview them. Rogan is simply someone with the right timing on YT and career decisions to amass a stupidly large following and therefore attract quality guests. Besides Rogans obviously insane knowledge of MMA, I don't look at him for anything other than the sum of his quality of guests. Others may think more highly of Rogan than me, and hey, that's fine, I might disagree with you, but I'm not going to tell you to stop listening.

My point with that rambling is it's completely fine to attack Rogan and call him everything under the sun, he does have views I find ridiculous, but you need to be careful about this "guilt by association" that seems to be a hard left tactic of trying to silence and control what people watch/listen to. At best that is charming, you're showing your dislike for someone passionately, at worst it's an attempt at control that is often a step back for open inquiry and debate many in society do want to be a part of.

Olly88

Of course it doesn't, but Louis Thereoux is far more respected than Rogan (and rightfully so). Thereoux is arguably the 'poster boy' for being able to create documentaries on heinous people but be so loved and cherished for his "goofyness" and persona. He's the kind of guy that could say "I don't believe in your Religion because it's a pile of nonsense" and he'd still get an "Awwww Louis". He doesn't talk like that though, which is precisely why even those who don't like him can't help seemingly letting him come and interview him. Rogan is simply someone with the right timing on YT and career decisions to amass a stupidly large following and therefore attract quality guests.

My point with that rambling is it's completely fine to attack Rogan and call him everything under the sun, he does have views I find ridiculous, but you need to be careful about this "guilt by association" that seems to be a hard left tactic of trying to silence and control what people watch/listen to.

Oh yeah I agree with you, I was just curious if people view those documentaries and the people in it in the same, "Why should I listen to what they have to say?" way.

Audioboxer

Oh yeah I agree with you, I was just curious if people view those documentaries and the people in it in the same, "Why should I listen to what they have to say?" way.

Nah, I don't think so. It is as I said though, because the interviewer is so unanimously liked. You'd be hard pushed to find anyone even in the hard left wing who would attempt to say because you watched a Thereoux documentary on white supremacy that means you have some sort of empathy/sympathy for white supremacy. This intellectually dishonest tactic most always comes out when it's an interviewer or host that someone doesn't like, or more so a larger group of people don't like (or they have a hated guest on, like Milo). It's not just the hard left, the hard right does it as well. It's an attempt to silence and control that isn't necessarily tied to any given political identity. Shaming someone and getting a label to stick on them, even by guilt via association is just an incredibly successful tactic. Let us face it, we are all humans and have feelings, and absolutely no one enjoys having people call them something they are not. (You're a racist, you're an MRA, you're a Trump supporter, you're x... because you listen to Rogan podcasts. Not because I have tangible evidence you actually have those beliefs yourself).

Generally speaking it is more a tactic seen in the current day on the left, as the rights attempt at pushback is to go far off the other side of the scale and simply say "every voice should always be heard equally and respected equally". Which is not what I'm saying either. The misguided belief that Donald Trump stands up for free speech and just says what he thinks somehow being commendable, is most certainly not a productive or forward way of thinking. Speech has consequences and in this case we are talking about a bloody presidential candidate, not a stoner YT celeb who has "dank guests". It's largely a form of control as well, usually one which is used to try and tell people on the left they better damn well allow "just asking questions" and "respect every damn opinion/statement of harassment", or else you don't support freedom of speech! Not to mention that is the totally wrong descriptor of freedom of speech as well - It exists to protect from government. Last I checked the government didn't have a Twitter account with an anime frog which calls women sluts and doxxes people. Maybe Trump can birth that if he gets in? /s

Neverwas

what are Dana White's thoughts on these topics? maybe Rogan's opinions are swayed by his slow transition to Dana White body double.

Darryl

Banned
I've been listening to this episode because of the thread. Nothing worthy of offense has been said and there have been some pretty interesting and funny conversations.

God damn some of you guys are so ready to be offended by anything and everything.

I jumped into it, too. Always thought the guy was slimey low-ball sports-center-esque personality based on the drive-by comments I've seen before. He's better than I thought. It wasn't a bad show. Also, in the episode I listened to (the newest one?), dude is obviously disgusted with Trump. He has a whole segment about it. I don't know how anyone could listen to that and then call him a "full-blown" Trump defender.

He comes across as the kind of guy who has no horses in the race so he doesn't really care about the narrative he creates. If Trump is right, he'll say it. If he's wrong, he'll call him out for it. I think that's fantastic. If there's one thing that's been irritating me lately, it's the all-or-nothing attitude that comes alongside politics. People feel lately that people like Trump are beyond skepticism - that nothing that person says deserves to be entertained as correct (or even possibly correct) even if it is. It's going to cause across-the-board mental regression if this keeps up for any longer. We need skeptic personalities - for the people we agree with to be wrong occasionally and the people we disagree with to be right. The lack of skepticism in media lately has been killing me personally and this guy looks like he has a good bit of it. I'll try to listen to him again if I'm in the car for awhile.

Audioboxer

I jumped into it, too. Always thought the guy was slimey low-ball sports-center-esque personality based on the drive-by comments I've seen before. He's better than I thought. It wasn't a bad show. Also, in the episode I listened to (the newest one?), dude is obviously disgusted with Trump. He has a whole segment about it. I don't know how anyone could listen to that and then call him a "full-blown" Trump defender.

He comes across as the kind of guy who has no horses in the race so he doesn't really care about the narrative he creates. If Trump is right, he'll say it. If he's wrong, he'll call him out for it. I think that's fantastic. If there's one thing that's been irritating me lately, it's the all-or-nothing attitude that comes alongside politics. People feel lately that people like Trump are beyond skepticism - that nothing that person says deserves to be entertained as correct (or even possibly correct) even if it is. It's going to cause across-the-board mental regression if this keeps up for any longer. We need skeptic personalities - for the people we agree with to be wrong occasionally and the people we disagree with to be right. The lack of skepticism in media lately has been killing me personally and this guy looks like he has a good bit of it. I'll try to listen to him again if I'm in the car for awhile.

Individuals are quick to say someone is a "full blown Trump supporter" the second they may disagree with one thing about Hillary/dislike one thing about her. Political hyperbole is rife right now. In one sense I can empathise with it, passion is running high and so are the stakes. However individuals have to challenge themselves if this is really the best they are capable of, playing rather intellectually dishonest mind-games to dismiss someone they usually have zero evidence to backup their "omg Trump supporter" rhetoric. Again though, this goes both ways. People losing their mind that someone doesn't like Trump and supports crooked Hillary. It's simply the level of discourse we are at, one can only weather the storm, hope for a good outcome and do their best to defend themselves from labelling that is false.

I'll say it how I feel. Trump is a joke candidate and is completely unqualified for the role, and should never be here in the running. Hillary is qualified, therefore the default winner, however as a candidate she is pretty damn dire that she's supposedly the best a nation as large and diverse as America can produce. Which leads me into my usual rant about the amount of money in American politics to be downright disgusting. So yeah, +1 vote for Hillary here, but it's not like I'd be skipping home from the pooling booth thinking damn that Hillary is good, I can't wait till she's got the keys to run this Nation. Of course, the alternative, the keys going to Trump would be almost be something along the lines of "fuck this country I'm leaving". Therefore in my opinion an all round shit-tastic situation politically in America, and largely deflating that anything is going to actually change or happen. Clinton will be business as usual, and Obama's attempt at social healthcare will probably be scrapped. Speaking of Obama, right now I wish Obama could stay on for another term.

Darryl

Banned
Nothing says skepticism like believing the moon landing was faked. We need more of that in the media!

Here we go with the all or nothing. I didn't hear anything about a faked moon landing in his latest episode. Is this guy like a staunch moon landing denialist or something? Is that a thing he does? Does he go into it every episode?

It's okay to believe in things that are on the fringe or weird. It doesn't make you a nutjob. We live in a world where people overwhelmingly believe in ghosts. People believe in contrasting religions - you can state without a doubt that hundreds of millions of people are believing (worshipping!) in something wrong every single day and you're correct. Even if a religion is correct, the rest are wrong. Everyone is wrong about something. It doesn't make you a sensationalist crazy and you need to accept that people can be both wrong and right.

I've always found Rogan to be very funny, for the most part.

I think he tends to be more emotional than intellectual obviously, and will speak his mind without always giving a great deal of thought to what he is saying, at times.

His presentation/delivery is very funny to me though, and he's just a comedian, in the end. I also think he gets off on being inflammatory, so it's hard to take his "stance" on anything with any weight or get overly offended by the things I don't agree with that come out of his mouth.

He's just a dude out there running his mouth for entertainment and a buck, and he's got an audience and a group of haters, which is all any entertainer could ever want.

Audioboxer

Here we go with the all or nothing. I didn't hear anything about a faked moon landing in his latest episode. Is this guy like a staunch moon landing denialist or something? Is that a thing he does? Does he go into it every episode?

It's okay to believe in things that are on the fringe or weird. It doesn't make you a nutjob. We live in a world where people overwhelmingly believe in ghosts. People believe in contrasting religions - you can state without a doubt that hundreds of millions of people are believing (worshipping!) in something wrong every single day and you're correct. Even if a religion is correct, the rest are wrong. Everyone is wrong about something. It doesn't make you a sensationalist crazy and you need to accept that people can be both wrong and right.

I can't say I've ever heard him talk about it, but as I said I probably have heard 5% of the podcasts. I found this on reddit AMA from 2013

Question

When speaking with Neil DeGrasse Tyson, you told him you realized thinking the moon landing could have been faked was kinda silly and got him on your side and then started bringing up all these Youtube clips for him to watch that shows it may have been faked. Did you really change your opinion on the moon landing or was it your way to set him up for some honest opinions on what most consider crazy to even consider?

Edit: Reading the replies, a lot of people seem to be talking shit because he is open to the idea that (parts) of the moon landing could have been faked. That was not the intention of this question. I love that he is always willing to consider the extreme position with a completely open mind. That's why I listen to his show. Not many celebrities or redditors for that matter would do that in public without registering a throwaway account. Huge props to Joe and keep up the good work!

Answer

I love "conspiracy theories." Always have. I'm not sure if the origins of that are from some deep seated distrust of authority, or just what little information I have that's provable of known fuckery that leads me to ponder how much we don't know. That said, I try to always have an open mind when it comes to almost everything, and I try to group my possibilities into camps of likely and unlikely based on the thinking of the brightest minds and their take on the subject.

When I do that with the moon landing clearly the brightest minds and the most trustworthy sources believe the landings actually happened. That said I not-so-secretly hold out hope that some stunning piece of evidence would emerge that throws the entire subject into chaos. Why? Because I'm a silly bitch and I get a rush out of dumb shit like that. That's why I watch bigfoot shows, and that's why if I'm anywhere near a graveyard at night and there's no one around I'll get out of my car and look for ghosts for a few minutes if I have the time. Like I said, I'm a self professed silly bitch.

If you asked me for an honest opinion, I would say that when you look at the evidence it's certainly most likely that we went to the moon. That said, that's not nearly the dumbest thing I've held out hope for. For a long time I was fascinated by these things called "roswell rods." There was this video about them detailing this fascinating new life form that could only be caught on video because they moved too fast for the human eye. I watched a few shows on this subject, and spent hours discussing it and even contemplated getting a video camera to see if I could find them in my neighborhood.

Well, it turns out that these stupid fucking things were just bugs filmed with cameras that couldn't quite keep up with the movement of the bugs so it would create this weird video artifact that made them look like tubular flying squids. They cracked the mystery on the show "Monster Quest."

That might have actually been the only positive thing that ever came out of that monster quest show. Other than that, ever episode was them pretending they might have found a monster only to disappoint the fuck out of you in the end. Really it was a hilarious premise, because there should be absolutely no suspense in those shows in this day and age, because if they had actually found some real monster we would have heard about it online way before the episode ever aired.

https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1b4est/i_am_joe_rogan_ask_me_anything/

Seems to be the usual Rogan is being purposefully dumb/stoner/pissing on ideas for a reaction/self-interests and the leftists now want to cry about one episode where he spoke to Neil De Grasse Tyson in a dumb way as a warning that you shouldn't listen to him again. It literally took me a few minutes to look that up, hence my rather dismissive and facetious remarks there. It makes Rogan pretty dumb to say things just because he "likes the idea of conspiracy theories", but lets post his whole response rather than tactical snippets. I said earlier he is not someone I look to or respect for any serious responses about serious matters. His guests always do much better. However you at least owe him the responsibility of representing him factually.

Dude Abides

Banned

Who cares? He believed it for a long time. It's a dumb thing to believe and kind of the opposite of skepticism. I have no idea what you're talking about with "all or nothing." All I did was point out that he's hardly a candidate for skeptic of the year. If you are entertained by dumb people saying dumb things there's nothing wrong with that and Rogan's a good source of such entertainment.

That's great, but believing that the moon landing was faked is a good indicator that you're probably not particularly intelligent.

To clear it up for you, Joe does not believe that the moon landings were faked. At a time he entertained the thought and maybe believed it. But yeah, it's much easier to just call someone an extremist in some fashion in order to disregard them.

I can't say I've ever heard him talk about it, but as I said I probably have heard 5% of the podcasts. I found this on reddit AMA from 2013

Question

Answer

Seems to be the usual Rogan is being purposefully dumb/stoner/pissing on ideas for a reaction/self-interests and the leftists now want to cry about one episode where he spoke to Neil De Grasse Tyson in a dumb way as a warning that you shouldn't listen to him again. It literally took me a few minutes to look that up, hence my rather dismissive and facetious remarks there. It makes Rogan pretty dumb to say things just because he "likes the idea of conspiracy theories", but lets post his whole response rather than tactical snippets. I said earlier he is not someone I look to or respect for any serious responses about serious matters. His guests always do much better. However you at least owe him the responsibility of representing him factually.

Good stuff, but lol at Roswell rods.

Audioboxer

Tell me about it. As someone deeply rooted in the scientific method, I largely get depressed at the amount of absolutely insane and occasionally dangerous conspiracy theories out there. Even when it's relatively harmless and just dumb, I get flummoxed by the stupidity on show by humanity at times. Humanity never ceases to amaze, for all the wrong reasons.

It's why at this point I can't even laugh at Tom Delonge, I literally feel sorry/empathy for him. He's border-lining on a case of actually needing mental help, not helped by the leaks apparently showing him trying to contact the government about UFOs.

You have to listen to opposing viewpoints to a certain extent or you run the risk of ending up having your viewpoint decided by someone else. Now I'm not sure what that extent is, but in case of Rogan it's pretty clear there's two sides to him: great interviews of interesting guests and dumb political opinions.

From what I studied I only identify with the radical feminism ideology, that's also the reason I don't consider myself a feminist, from my point of view for me to do so I would either have to be quite megalomaniac thinking myself capable of rejecting the entire society surrounding me or have an ulterior motive.

Like I said before I think Joe is ill-informed but I heard nothing in the podcast that would be classified as MRA. I also watched the Netflix special I think he was funny but superficial, he's style reminded of Bill Burr but instead of building his jokes on personal experience and looking for cause and effect, Joe just seem to do it on random osmosis.

This is mainly a response to the male feminist tweet that I saw earlier, I'm not really following this thread.

Audioboxer

You have to listen to opposing viewpoints to a certain extent or you run the risk of ending up having your viewpoint decided by someone else. Now I'm not sure what that extent is, but in case of Rogan it's pretty clear there's two sides to him: great interviews of interesting guests and dumb political opinions.

The extent is different for everyone. As much as I've gone a bit ham on this point, I accept I am an individual and yes a part of how I operate as a human is influenced by my career path and personality. I think the main point I'd try to get across is even as someone with a rather different personality from me, everyone owes it to themselves to at least take a tiny % of inquiry/curiosity seriously. Listening/watching/reading something you don't agree with isn't always some action to challenging/changing your beliefs, it literally can be curiosity to why a fellow human(s) thinks or behaves in a way you don't get/understand/seriously dislike. I don't watch documentaries on paedophiles and supremacists with the goal of changing my beliefs, but learning and not turning away from uncomfortable realities. But again, due to my career choices there is a very real chance I'll have to work with uncomfortable people/material. Not everyone does.

You do that at your own leisure though (watch/read/listen). It is not the same as the far rights attempts at literally forcing someone to listen to them when THEY demand it. The best and most productive form of inquiry comes from when YOU actively want to seek out different opinions. Podcasts can be good for this as you listen when you want, and can pause/ff/rw whenever you want. Arguing/Discussing on forums/online is largely done in real-time and that's when you can be caught off guard or not in the mood to have to listen to/put up with someone else. Precisely why a moderators best piece of advice to a poster is if you are getting hot and bothered, log off and reply later/not at all :p When emotions are running high nearly every human being has little to no tolerance for having to listen to what they would refer to as "bullshit" being said by someone else.

Arkeband

Banned

Question

Answer

I just wanna say that your posts are dauntingly large but really well written, it's just too bad this thread still has a nonsensically clickbait title even after the OP got hit with the banhammer.

Audioboxer

I just wanna say that your posts are dauntingly large but really well written, it's just too bad this thread still has a nonsensically clickbait title even after the OP got hit with the banhammer.

The past few days I've been working on polishing off an assignment and in true fashion when I'm typing up content like a mad man my breaks from study aren't breaks from typing. I go to GAF and carry on typing here :p

I think in someway it helps me from getting "writers block" (and obviously to skive from work!). I can move away from doing work on factual content where little opinion is required, and move over to GAF where I can just type without needing to stay within the confines of report writing. It's largely opinionated here, but I do try to provide evidence for things I say when required.

Hari Seldon

Having someone pretend to be an idiot and ask really basic questions to really smart people is often how legit science can happen lol. "How can you prove that the moon landing is real?" is a pretty interesting discussion to have, especially if you are in it for the entertainment.

Darryl

Banned
Who cares? He believed it for a long time. It's a dumb thing to believe and kind of the opposite of skepticism. I have no idea what you're talking about with "all or nothing." All I did was point out that he's hardly a candidate for skeptic of the year. If you are entertained by dumb people saying dumb things there's nothing wrong with that and Rogan's a good source of such entertainment.

That's great, but believing that the moon landing was faked is a good indicator that you're probably not particularly intelligent.

Just read the stuff you're saying. I never said he was skeptic of the year. You said that. I only watched one episode. If I say I thought he sounded like a refreshing skeptic, you say that I think he's skeptic of the year. That's the all in all or nothing. He's either the best or the worst. There's no middle. He's right or wrong. He's skeptic of the year or a lunatic moon-landing denier. I don't even see how you can come into this thread and bring up that outlandish stuff. His comments as shown by the above poster on the topic are pretty.. normal.

Audioboxer

Just read the stuff you're saying. I never said he was skeptic of the year. You said that. I only watched one episode. If I say I thought he sounded like a refreshing skeptic, you say that I think he's skeptic of the year. That's the all in all or nothing. He's either the best or the worst. There's no middle. He's right or wrong. He's skeptic of the year or a lunatic moon-landing denier. I don't even see how you can come into this thread and bring up that outlandish stuff. His comments as shown by the above poster on the topic are pretty.. normal.

I wouldn't maybe go that far. They're certainly dumb :p But yes, they are leaning more to harmless dumb because in that statement of saying he loves a conspiracy theory and is a "silly bitch", he mentions being open minded and accepting when the "best" scientific minds and trustworthy sources all align there is a near certainty something is factual.

Still I'll defend you in saying no, at no point were you branding around "skeptic of the year". That is rather dishonest and more inline with someone projecting their feelings onto you, and then criticising you for feelings they made up.

Cels

i didn't listen to everything in OP's video, just the wage gap stuff.

rogan says that if he's an engineer and a woman is an engineer and they're working side-by-side, the woman is not getting only $.70 to his dollar which is...correct? if anything the woman on average gets $.92 to a man's dollar which is definitely still a problem, but it's not the $.78 statistic that Obama has thrown out there irresponsibly.

he also points out that women work fewer hours than men and take different kinds of jobs, which does account for some of the differences in earnings between the genders.

he also says some silly stuff about testosterone and women having different attitudes than men so yes, feel free to make fun of him for that, but his other points are valid, even if not presented in the most scholarly or nuanced way.

there are plenty of things you can talk about when it comes to the earnings gap, like the fact that there is still a significant earnings gap even when you control for hours worked and occupational difference. you don't need to mislead people with an overly simplistic $.78 cents statistic.

kavanf1

Having someone pretend to be an idiot and ask really basic questions to really smart people is often how legit science can happen lol. "How can you prove that the moon landing is real?" is a pretty interesting discussion to have, especially if you are in it for the entertainment.
For sure. An old boss's boss used to do this all the time. By far the smartest guy in the room, but he'd act dumb to see how much people would try to bullshit him. It was always a revelation seeing people realise they'd fucked up when he flipped to smart guy mode.

I've never really paid much attention to Rogan, but I'd rather listen to someone who's willing to ask "stupid" questions and seems keen to learn and alter their opinion based on evidence, and does so with good humour and a strong awareness of their weaknesses as a human being, than to the detractors who claim to be on some higher moral plane of existence.

Audioboxer

For sure. An old boss's boss used to do this all the time. By far the smartest guy in the room, but he'd act dumb to see how much people would try to bullshit him. It was always a revelation seeing people realise they'd fucked up when he flipped to smart guy mode.

I've never really paid much attention to Rogan, but I'd rather listen to someone who's willing to ask "stupid" questions and seems keen to learn and alter their opinion based on evidence, and does so with good humour and a strong awareness of their weaknesses as a human being, than to the detractors who claim to be on some higher moral plane of existence.

That seems like a classic trap being laid by someone in a position of power to weed out suck ups and fake people lol. Say stupid shit, watch employees below you cater to your nonsense to try and get in with you, then flip the switch and call them out.

Dude Abides

Banned

You wrote a whole paragraph building him up for displaying the skepticism you claim is missing from the media and having some kind of vague yet dire consequence. So yes you were lauding his skepticism. But you never said skeptic of the year - I apologize for using a bit of rhetorical hyperbole. I didn't realize you and Audioboxer would take it so literally.

His comments on the moon landing aren't "normal." They're standard "just asking questions" conspiracy monger nonsense dressed up with even more dumb shit about being a "silly bitch." He's just a D-list celebrity with a podcast. He may be entertaining but he doesn't have any insights, knowledge, or useful perspective you can't get from any other meathead down at the bar. He's just an entertaining idiot so why pretend otherwise?

Riposte

These show up in JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Part 6 (2000-2003), where the author, Araki, seems to present them as a real thing with the trivia about them. I wonder if that's before they were largely debunked. Then again, that's not even the weirdest thing that manga/part presents as fact.

I've always found Rogan to be very funny, for the most part.

I think he tends to be more emotional than intellectual obviously, and will speak his mind without always giving a great deal of thought to what he is saying, at times.

His presentation/delivery is very funny to me though, and he's just a comedian, in the end. I also think he gets off on being inflammatory, so it's hard to take his "stance" on anything with any weight or get overly offended by the things I don't agree with that come out of his mouth.

He's just a dude out there running his mouth for entertainment and a buck, and he's got an audience and a group of haters, which is all any entertainer could ever want.
Exactly, he's just another shock jock with similarities to Alex Jones but then fans of his get offended at that comparison even though he brings up conspiracies on nearly every episode.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
It's okay to believe in things that are on the fringe or weird. It doesn't make you a nutjob.
Yes it does, for certain beliefs anyway.

Exactly, he's just another shock jock with similarities to Alex Jones but then fans of his get offended at that comparison even though he brings up conspiracies on nearly every episode.
He was a guest on Alex Jones's radio show. That really says it all....

JimiNutz

Banned
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0tG7a2nn8A#t=01h45m37s

Just felt like adding on to the pile of evidence showing anyone calling Joe "alt right" or whatever the fuck else doesn't know anything about the man.

Honestly painting Joe as a Trump supporter is a bad look on anyone saying it.

People won't watch/listen to this because it doesn't fit their comfortable but misinformed opinion of Joe Rogan. This will simply be ignored.

Joe Rogan is a piece of shit, meathead, alt right, MRA supporting, shock jock and thats it. Oh also forgot to mention that he's stupid too and all of his fans are morons who believe that the moon landing was fake.

My uncle on social media has doubled down on Trump winning next week (this the uncle that apparently doesn't support Trump yet posts propaganda every single day)

He is also a Brexiter so between Trump and that I have been really questioning his intelligence this past year.

People won't watch/listen to this because it doesn't fit their comfortable but misinformed opinion of Joe Rogan. This will simply be ignored.

My uncle on social media has doubled down on Trump winning next week (this the uncle that apparently doesn't support Trump yet posts propaganda every single day)

He is also a Brexiter so between Trump and that I have been really questioning his intelligence this past year.

Yeesh.

Not surprising.

I listen to his podcast if he has someone interesting on, which happens often. (in between the garbage guests that pads it out with). So sometimes I'll listen to a few in a row if the app keeps running.

Like a lot of us, he's a generally an every-man, who's opinions vary wildly from week to week. There was someone on his podcast, Gavin McKinnes I believe, who described him to his face as 'like a really smart dumb guy', which was hilarious and so true.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.

Joe Rogan is a piece of shit, meathead, alt right, MRA supporting, shock jock and thats it. Oh also forgot to mention that he's stupid too and all of his fans are morons who believe that the moon landing was fake.
And because it's a link to a 3 hour long YouTube video.

There was someone on his podcast, Gavin McKinnes I believe, who described him to his face as 'like a really smart dumb guy', which was hilarious and so true.

Interestingly, McInnes is also an enormous piece of shit.

As for the "everyman" thing: it's a lot less cute to some of us when that "everyman" spouts uninformed, hateful, blatantly counterfactual arguments about us and people we know to a huge audience. Can the Rogan defenders understand how maybe that comes across as less-than-endearing?

Audioboxer

Interestingly, McInnes is also an enormous piece of shit.

As for the "everyman" thing: it's a lot less cute to some of us when that "everyman" spouts uninformed, hateful, blatantly counterfactual arguments about us and people we know to a huge audience. Can the Rogan defenders understand how maybe that comes across as less-than-endearing?

Definitely. Although I'd hardly call myself a Rogan defender, I've been quite adamant in my believe of him being rather stupid and not someone I look up to for anything serious.

As always though it's best to backup what you're going to say about someone, even a dumb-ass, and as this topic clearly shows the "doesn't believe in the moon landing" and "supports Donald Trump" vibes rightfully get blowback aimed at some posters keen to play the political game like it's an episode of Game of Thrones. The second I heard about the moon landing drama I thought that's fucking crazy and spent 5 minutes seeking a clearer answer from the horses mouth. Rogans answer doesn't exactly inspire for much, but it's a bit different than "doesn't believe in the moon landing".

I have no idea who McInnes is so cannot comment on that part of your post.

Dopus

Banned

Hyperbole galore. Why wouldn't his fans defend him when compared to a maniac like Alex Jones? It's a ridiculous comparison to begin with.

Yes it does, for certain beliefs anyway.

He was a guest on Alex Jones's radio show. That really says it all....

Noam Chomsky was a guest on Alex Jone's radio show. That really says it all...

ghst

thanks for the laugh
think most people have a mate like rogan. good guy to have around, talks a lot of bollocks, sometimes goes off the deep end but will always have time for you.

never quite understood this urge to distill people down to the most contentious spikes in their personality.

never quite understood this urge to distill people down to the most contentious spikes in their personality.

Because for some of us, the fact that he's spreading ignorant bullshit about us to a huge audience kind of outweighs that other stuff. Why is that hard to understand?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom