• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Joe Rogan vs Eddie Bravo: Heated Argument over Flat Earth Theory

Status
Not open for further replies.
They say you are flying in a circle

Flat_Earth-magellan.png

And justify their beliefs that this must be the case because planes never fly over antarctica

So essentially, the plane industry is in on it too
But wouldn't have found the an edge or a wall by now?

But wouldn't have found the an edge or a wall by now?

You see, that's why nobody is allowed to go to antarctica and its a no fly zone, controlled by an international coalition. Apparently treks to the South Pole were also faked.

You know a theory is good when you need to layer multiple conspiracies on top of eachother

gfxtwin

Okay, so I started to watch the video. And I think I finally understand why Joe Rogan is funny now. It's more a laugh at him than with him schadenfreude type of funny by watching him struggle to try to make serious points sink into a complete numskull.

Correct. In order to appreciate such low brow humor, your taste in jokes would need to be rather pedestrian. So someone with superior intellect and greater emotional intelligence such as you and I are sophisticated enough to laugh at the intellectual peon that is Joe Rogan and his band of plebeian misfits.

Correct. In order to appreciate such low brow humor, your taste in jokes would need to be rather pedestrian. So someone with superior intellect and greater emotional intelligence such as you and I are sophisticated enough to laugh at the intellectual peon that is Joe Rogan and his band of plebeian misfits.

10/10

gfxtwin

Honestly, it's sanctimonious comments like the one I quoted that make anyone remotely defensive of Rogan. I don't even LIKE his stand up, but the guy is a fantastic podcast host because he has on interesting guests and is a talented conversationalist and interviewer.

I feel like to some extent the guests determine whether or not I want to listen to the show, but when he has on experts in various fields - artists, journalists, professors, cult survivors, etc - and a diverse range of comics of various styles like Burr, Remini, Diaz, Buress, Cummings, Maron, Kasher, Bell, etc - he shines.

That's like two thirds of the shows he does at least (the fight companion stuff and episodes with hunters and outdoorsmen is where he loses me, but even some of those are more interesting than you'd expect), and he tends to put out at least two 3 hour shows a week, so there's usually something interesting lined up.

He's arguably up there with Stern and Maron in terms of interviewing his guests and extracting interesting responses, anecdotes, etc. Even when his guest are occasionally unlikeable people, he makes an effort to show the listener what makes them tick (though there's still room for improvement there I admit).

I don't agree with him on several things, and I would rank his podcast on the bottom of a top ten of my favorites, but I always find it kind of kinda funny and obnoxious when anons on messageboards speak from a position of (most likely unearned) intellectual authority when blasting his show as garbage or him and the guests as idiots, as though they could host a podcast and make the conversation with guests like that just as interesting/more interesting.

EDIT: not so say that idiotic things don't sometimes happen on the show. They do, lol.

wandering

Banned

This but unironically

Thanks for the confirmation. Glad to finally understand what people see in the jester.

I don't want Joe Rogan acting as an emissary for science. These two are both exceptionally stupid.

BTW the earth is pizza shaped that's why it looks round from space.

JKRMA

Banned
Dumbfuck, I believe that the moon is really made of cheese. It is a conspiracy from the dairy industry to prove it is just a rock so we do not know where our cheese is really coming from. Stupid NASA and their fake moon rocks and logic, I really know when I go to McDonald's to grab a cheeseburger that it has some moon in it. They be hiding because they be hating the anti-moon coalition that just wants free cheese for everyone!

JimiNutz

Banned
I wonder if these flat earthers really do believe this or if its just an elaborate troll in an attempt to encourage contrarian thinking?

Eddie Bravo 'believes' in a a lot of conspiracy theories but he's far from being completely stupid (yes its very hard for me to say this after watching that video lol). He is after all a successful business man, BJJ genius and musician, so clearly there is SOMETHING going on up there in his brain.

Eddie constantly talks about the 'man' the people in power that are controlling the masses and on this point he is not entirely wrong. A very small percentage of people control all of our resources and media. Maybe this contrarian thinking is simply a protest troll against the 'system'?

Or maybe he's just consumed way too much weed and is walking evidence that large consumption of cannabis over a prolonged period of time can lead to a state of permanent paranoid delusion that borders on a serious mental health issue?

Klocker

With flat earthers it will often come down to hiding God or creator. As soon as we're on a flat earth then we're in a reality obviously constructed by God or some other, thus we're no longer on a insignificant piece of rock of natural occurrence in the vastness of space with trillions of galaxies and hard to prove religious beliefs.

Holy shit.

Religious nuts everywhere

Honestly, I'd chip in to a Gofundme for flat earthers to travel these forbidden lands that they're supposedly not allowed to by the government.

gfxtwin

I wonder if these flat earthers really do believe this or if its just an elaborate troll in an attempt to encourage contrarian thinking?

Eddie Bravo 'believes' in a a lot of conspiracy theories but he's far from being completely stupid (yes its very hard for me to say this after watching that video lol). He is after all a successful business man, BJJ genius and musician, so clearly there is SOMETHING going on up there in his brain.

Eddie constantly talks about the 'man' the people in power that are controlling the masses and on this point he is not entirely wrong. A very small percentage of people control all of our resources and media. Maybe this contrarian thinking is simply a protest troll against the 'system'?

Or maybe he's just consumed way too much weed and is walking evidence that large consumption of cannabis over a prolonged period of time can lead to a state of permanent paranoid delusion that borders on a serious mental health issue?

I'm convinced Eddie is just doing his best Alex Jones impression. If he was really a flat earther how would that not have come up until now? Crackpot theory brainwashing is a long process and he would've shown signs of it years ago. It's likely an improvised bit, but even if it is I like how Bravo and Rogan play it so that the audience is left questioning whether it is at all, which makes it funnier IMO.

Kyzer

Banned
I wanna know what the "crazy thing" is that bravo didnt even begin to tell joe rogan, according to his own words

I'm convinced Eddie is just doing his best Alex Jones impression. If he was really a flat earther how would that not have come up until now? Crackpot theory brainwashing is a long process and he would've shown signs of it years ago. It's likely an improvised bit, but even if it is I like how Bravo and Rogan play it so that the audience is left questioning whether it is at all, which makes it funnier IMO.

So you have a crackpot theory about the crackpot theories

gfxtwin

So somewhere, at the edge of the world, there's a big waterfall?

It actually sounds like it could make for a dope painting or scene in a movie if it wasn't so incomprehensibly backwards. In reality the world is most likely cube-shaped or cylindrical, but the globalists of course don't want you to know that.

le.phat

Neither Joe Rogan or Eddie Bravo are idiots, they just have some far out there beliefs in some conspiracies and things, most people have illogical beliefs in the world, even really smart people. Bravo is obviously much more crazy in his conspiracy theories though and cannot be persuaded by reason in the way Rogan can.

This is exactly what seperates a critical thinker from a fucking loon; the ability to adjust one's view based on empathy and reason.

What's annoying about Bravo though is he pretends that's he's just a skeptic in reality he has a positive affirmation towards every conspiracy theory. Some conspiracy theories are actually real, that's verifiable but it's completely ridiculous to just latch on to them without looking at the facts.

Please show me a conspiracy theory that is real and verifiable. Please try.

pottuvoi

Banned
It actually sounds like it could make for a dope painting or scene in a movie if it wasn't so incomprehensibly backwards. In reality the world is most likely cube-shaped or cylindrical, but the globalists of course don't want you to know that.
My vote is on torus, just like in old school RPGs.
.. would be fun looking up at night.

Kyzer

Banned
Eddie Bravo explicitly states that one of the only things he trusts is a compass, so they should go on an expedition around the world where Bravo himself can make sure the ships going the right way and livestream it

forms

The prerequisite for people to be this intensely dense as to deem EVERYTHING "fake", even up to claiming that the Earth is flat...there has to be some form of underlying mental issue. A rational person just can't "learn wrong" and end up like that.

Artdayne

This is exactly what seperates a critical thinker from a fucking loon; the ability to adjust one's view based on empathy and reason.

I mean, sure, but religious people do it all the time. Try to introduce a healthy amount of skepticism that casts doubt on their beliefs in any way and most will not respond to reason. Hell, plenty of them refuse to even accept something like Evolution which has loads of evidence going for it.

Please show me a conspiracy theory that is real and verifiable. Please try.

I believe the Gulf of Tonkin and Operation Northwoods would count.

Now I don't know if there were conspiracy theories surrounding what the NSA was doing and what Edward Snowden uncovered but that's exactly the type of thing that conspiracy theories are generally about. Or how about the story of Jessica Lynch during the Iraq War that was completely fabricated by the government? I don't really subscribe to any of the JFK assassination conspiracies in particular but I'm skeptical of the official story.

A lot of conspiracy theories are built on flimsy evidence at best and require you to ignore evidence to the contrary.

gfxtwin

Eddie Bravo explicitly states that one of the only things he trusts is a compass, so they should go on an expedition around the world where Bravo himself can make sure the ships going the right way and livestream it

Lmao.

How is sending him on an expedition around the world in any way more effective than just launching him into orbit for a day so he can observe the actual curvature of the earth though? There's no room for debate with the space option, and audiences can witness it in real time. If he stays on land he could just start theorizing about changes in the magnetic fields that scientists don't want you to know, the govmnt tampering with the compass, etc.

Kurdel

Banned
The prerequisite for people to be this intensely dense as to deem EVERYTHING "fake", even up to claiming that the Earth is flat...there has to be some form of underlying mental issue. A rational person just can't "learn wrong" and end up like that.

Yeah I agree.

I think the toxic unscientific skepticism taught on conspiracy websites leads to this kind of knee jerk rejection of authority figures.

"Do your research" means watch this 45 minute clip of anomaly hunting. I means "find sources that confirm your beliefs, and there you have it, proof of the flat earth!".

True skepticism would also involve comparing sources and searching out the current scientific consensus. Two steps deadly to the bullshit they peddle.

Eddie is one of the least intelligent people I have ever heard speak, but hey he can tie you in a knot so somehow he has an authority of knowledge over people?

Sheep love him, smart people know he is stupid as shit but great at rolling around and wrapping you into a pretzel.

One of these things are not like the other. Lmao.

Oscar

Damn, lost a lot of respect for Edge Brah after watching this video. He's dumb af.

Shame too, because I fuck with his 10th Planet BJJ system.

So what exactly is the 'definition' of a globalist to these people exactly? Did the Illuminati and the Freemasons get new branding somewhere down the line?

funny thing, i am reading "The Malleus Maleficarum", an official witch hunting manual from 1484, and in the 1928 translation by Montague Summers, he states that the witch conspiracy is a global conspiracy to destroy civilization, directly referencing the Illuminati as a current form. the more things change the more they stay the same.

"There's no photo of the round earth from space, it's all fake. It looks fake. It looks CGI."

this is the most idiotic argument, and i've heard it before. obviously if images of other planets were CGI then we would look back at pictures from the 70s and they would be low poly low quality renders compared to now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom