• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

John Carmack on PS4 vs. Xbox One Specs: They're 'Very Close'

Both sides are yielding extreme hypocrisy, but this is system wars after all. Same shit different gen.

Xbox fans keep mentioning how the One is less technically impressive but is still great, but shit on Drive Club for not looking as good as Forza 4 yet it still looks good. Thats just one of many examples in this circus.

I think Carmack saying these two consoles are close in power is like saying the Moon and Earth are close together: yes, if you look at the distance between Earth/Moon vs. distance between objects in our solar system, yep, they seem pretty close.

But if you're on Earth looking at the moon or vice versa... they're very far away from each other. Sony has a big advantage this generation, and it'll really start to show in 2-3 years with console exclusives. I really don't think Microsoft's 1st party games will come anywhere near what Naughty Dog, Sony Santa Monica, Guerrilla Games, Sucker Punch, and Polyphony will pump out this gen. Sony has a massive advantage in developer talent at their disposal.

It kinda sucks, because the 360 was so well designed and in many ways was superior to PS3 this gen. :\

'Close' is relative, yeah. The HD7850/HD7870 are also close despite a 45% difference on paper. The latter is undoubtedly faster under the right circumstance but, generally speaking, they show similar performance in most tasks. I'm not even sure why people are debating this.

I think CPU bandwidth is the bigger unknown. The PS4 runs two separate busses with the CPU bus limited to ~20GB/s while (as far as I know) the X1 runs its CPU bus at the full ~68GB/s. I'm curious if that will make a difference under similarly specific circumstances. Whether it affects the amount of content on-screen or destructibility, for two examples.

nib95

Banned
'Close' is relative, yeah. The HD7850/HD7870 are also close despite a 45% difference on paper. The latter is undoubtedly faster under the right circumstance but, generally speaking, they show similar performance in most tasks. I'm not even sure why people are debating this.

I think CPU bandwidth is the bigger unknown. The PS4 runs two separate busses with the CPU bus limited to ~20GB/s while (as far as I know) the X1 runs its CPU bus at the full ~68GB/s. I'm curious if that will make a difference under similarly specific circumstances. Whether it affects the amount of content on-screen or destructibility, for two examples.

It's actually an advantageous custom modification of the PS4. There's a thread about it here.

GAF | PS4's memory subsystem has separate buses for CPU (20Gb/s) and GPU(176Gb/s)

GorillaJu

I don't know why everybody is do adamant about wanting the PS4 to be more powerful than the Xbox One. Even if they do end up having similar graphical output, it's still going to be great for us gamers and a huge step up. And if PS4 games end up having better graphical output than Xbox One, then great for us PS4 owners.

It's pre-release. This always happens.

It'll die off as a conversation topic as people get their hands on the systems and the comparisons shift to the software side.

I think everyone who is proclaiming there will be a few FPS here and there between the 2 versions is in for a rude awakening.

The games from big publishers are being made to take advantage of current high end PC, then the consoles will have to keep up from the start.

There won't be any XOne as "lowest common denominator" bullshit and bruteforce higher frame rate for PS4. It's already been shown as "shit-hot PC version on show, fingers crossed the consoles can keep up". And yes, a 1.8 GPU is going to keep up slightly better than a 1.3 GPU.

I think everyone who is proclaiming there will be a few FPS here and there between the 2 versions is in for a rude awakening.

The games from big publishers are being made to take advantage of current high end PC, then the consoles will have to keep up from the start.

There won't be any XOne as "lowest common denominator" bullshit and bruteforce higher frame rate for PS4. It's already been shown as "shit-hot PC version on show, fingers crossed the consoles can keep up". And yes, a 1.8 GPU is going to keep up slightly better than a 1.3 GPU.

It's never worked like this. It won't start now. Devs aren't going to gimp the console versions.

Top Bottom