• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

John McCain withdraws support for Donald Trump

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very true, doesn't change things really.

In fact, if this "condemn Trump" trend picks up steam through November 8, then the 2020 GoP Primaries will be centered on whoever NEVER endorsed Trump in 2016..

Guys like Jeb Bush, Mitt Romney and whoever else in the GoP stood their ground will tout it as the reason for being the best candidate for the Republicans. And it'll be used against people like Ted Cruz, Ben Carson, Chris Christie, Paul Ryan, John McCain and all the other immoral idiots who covered their eyes and ears and blindly supported him just to get votes.

Almost like how Obama was the only Dem candidate back in '08 who was against the Iraq War and touted that over the other candidates. It was a huge issue at the time, since the economy tanked and thousands of US soldiers died as result of that war.

Yea, that was a lot more serious than Trump's sexism, but who knows what the big issues of 2020 will be. For the GoP anyway, it'll be about rebuilding their party. Suddenly being anti-Trump will be desirable, until of course Hillary makes a gaffe or if Trump somehow scores well in the next debate. Then they'll probably flip-flop back to him again!

It's ...DEPLORABLE.

AlexMogil

I don't see this abandonment of endorsements as anything but a political move. I think this is the only way the GOP can salvage any hope on the rest of the platform on election day. Unhitching their wagon from Trump right now might allow them to concentrate their efforts on the house and senate. Trump might as well be the opposition now.

McLovin

Don't know why he supported him in the first place. John may be a republican but that dude went through hell and at the very least deserves respect. Don't know how those insults weren't enough to show everyone Trump was nuts back then.

Elandyll

Banned
This would be awesome if it were to happen:

Ted Cruz
Endorsement: Sept. 23rd.
Endorsement rescinded: October 10th
Regrets for losing his spine: The rest of his life...

Good. Guy was a maroon in the first place for supporting him despite the existing comments.

That said, it bugs me that they're more ashamed of private "boy talk" that, while crude and unsettling, it has nothing on racism, public insults, his idiocy.

UberTag

Good. Guy was a maroon in the first place for supporting him despite the existing comments.

That said, it bugs me that they're more ashamed of private "boy talk" that, while crude and unsettling, it has nothing on racism, public insults, his idiocy.
Never doubt the core of American puritanism. It literally trumps everything... even if they're going to adorn it this time under some guise of faux-decency.

Pwb98H4.jpg

BFIB

If these fucks had an ounce of integrity they never would have supported him in the first place.

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
McCain is very late to the party.

Seriously though, glad he took a stand for something, even though he didn't stand up for himself or any other servicemen when Trump made fun of POWs.

Will be interesting to see how McCain performs now in his Senate Race. A lot of crazy Trump supporters in Arizona that won't vote for him now.

Koomaster

I find it hilarious that Cruz backed Trump at the worst possible time. If he had waited like one more week, he could have still been playing the "I told you so" card.
I was just thinking this! xD

Dude cannot win. Was totally right about not supporting Trump. But now that he was basically forced to do so; everyone else is jumping ship.

I would not want to be a member of the Cruz household right about now. Guy is probably going nuts.

It means it takes votes away from Trump, and in the end Hillary wins. So, let them do it.

I mean, fine, but that's not really deserving of praise IMO. If they believe Hillary would be better than Trump, why write in and throw their vote away?

I don't demand that everyone vote Hillary. Fair enough if you don't want to vote for her. Republicans staying home or writing in a name is good enough for me.

I'm not demanding anything - I just don't think what McCain is doing is courageous or anything.

Will be interesting to see how McCain performs now in his Senate Race. A lot of crazy Trump supporters in Arizona that won't vote for him now.

Good, hope we can add to the Democrats in Senate to get a majority. Too bad that shithead Cruz or Cornyn aren't up for reelection.

Servbot24

Banned
I'm not demanding anything - I just don't think what McCain is doing is courageous or anything.

Doing it today isn't all that courageous considering all of the fallout. Generally though it would take some real spunk to defy the party you align yourself with.

Never doubt the core of American puritanism. It literally trumps everything... even if they're going to adorn it this time under some guise of faux-decency.
This isn't "boy talk", though. It is admitting to committing past sexual assault and planning to commit future sexual assault. Sexual assault is a felony.

It means it takes votes away from Trump, and in the end Hillary wins. So, let them do it.

She was well on her way to winning even before all this (something many didn't...know, or understand, I dunno). This would just mean her victory will ultimately be easier and potentially more overwhelming.

watershed

Banned
McCain is worried he's going to lose re-election. This isn't a principled stand, it's a desperate attempt to save himself from the fall of Trump.

As an Arizona resident I doubt it.

He was in Prescott Valley last week. You can't throw a rock without hitting a conservative-themed bumper sticker anywhere in the quad-city or Verde Valley areas (which is about a 2 hour radius around his rally). Yet there were more protesters at the event center than Trump supporters. It won't go blue because people are voting for Hillary, but there's a chance we'll go blue because they won't vote for Trump.

Also, the news claimed an estimated 30,000 people in attendance; as a local resident there wasn't even a third of that.

Nordicus

In fact, if this "condemn Trump" trend picks up steam through November 8, then the 2020 GoP Primaries will be centered on whoever NEVER endorsed Trump in 2016..

Guys like Jeb Bush, Mitt Romney and whoever else in the GoP stood their ground will tout it as the reason for being the best candidate for the Republicans.
Also Kasich kinda? He's sorta late to the party on condemning Trump, but he never endorsed in the first place and said that there were many reasons to not endorse, not just the events in last 48h

vikki

I'm afraid you can't wash the Trump stink away so easily. Trump is the same man now that he was when he was endorsed by McCain. He was saying horrible shit daily, but not until now are these people seeing what everyone was saying all along? Gimme a break.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
This whole thing is kinda weird to me. Like Trump being a creepy womanizing sleezebag is some kind of revelation. Honestly I would have been more surprised if a recording surfaced of Trump saying he DOESN'T go around grabbing married women by the pussy. I find nothing redeeming about these Republicans pulling support for Trump now. They supported him through a lot of despicable shit.

Fox Mulder

Fuck you John McCain for endorsing him anyways, and for this shit to be the final straw.

All the gross things hes said about you, POWs, vets, and a gold star family. But Trump talking about pussy turns you off.

aeolist

Banned
Fuck you John McCain for endorsing him anyways, and for this shit to be the final straw.

All the gross things hes said about you, POWs, vets, and a gold star family. But Trump talking about pussy turns you off.

it's not even the comment, if the rest of the party hadn't started breaking from trump mccain probably wouldn't have said anything

he's a fucking coward

Rat jumping from the sinking ship. I'd be a lot more impressed if he had never endorsed him in the first place. I guess now that he's losing, it's suddenly clear how terrible he was all along?

Mitt Romney and George W. stay winning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom