• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

John Walker's anti-BS SimCity news articles.

rvy

Banned
Hello you ridiculously lovely people.

I wanted to step in (I wanted to do so on Saturday night too, but you live in a walled garden with the intercom unplugged) and say a big thank you.

In any job where you say your opinions of things in a manner which suggests you think others might agree, there's a lot of hostility in response. So while I'm very blessed to receive some lovely emails
here and there, the overall balance does tend to weigh on the side of hate. Hearing that there was a thread about my coverage in here made me think, "Uh oh."

But what an amazing surprise! The very kind things people have said have meant a lot to me, and I'm incredibly pleased that my grumbling has proved at least cathartic for others.

However, I'm quite sure that all the mean things you've said about Gies means if he's at GDC, he's going to snap my neck. The man's a tank. So at least you made me smile before you got me killed.

Oh, and what Htown said right near the start is absolutely true. It IS awful that my SimCity posts should be considered anything particularly unusual. Let's hope such things stand out less and less in the future.

Cheers people - it's much appreciated.

John W
We need more people like you, thanks for your actual journalism in the cesspool that is gaming media.

eroots

Your SimCity coverage on RPS has been excellent and a major reason I check into RPS daily.. and also the other great news/coverage RPS provides, keep up the good work :)

However, I'm quite sure that all the mean things you've said about Gies means if he's at GDC, he's going to snap my neck. The man's a tank. So at least you made me smile before you got me killed.
There's no shame in running away. Well OK there's a little shame but you'll get over it.

Keikaku

I wanted to step in (I wanted to do so on Saturday night too, but you live in a walled garden with the intercom unplugged) and say a big thank you.

In any job where you say your opinions of things in a manner which suggests you think others might agree, there's a lot of hostility in response. So while I'm very blessed to receive some lovely emails
here and there, the overall balance does tend to weigh on the side of hate. Hearing that there was a thread about my coverage in here made me think, "Uh oh."

But what an amazing surprise! The very kind things people have said have meant a lot to me, and I'm incredibly pleased that my grumbling has proved at least cathartic for others.

Oh, and what Htown said right near the start is absolutely true. It IS awful that my SimCity posts should be considered anything particularly unusual. Let's hope such things stand out less and less in the future.

John W
r9FJe.gif

In all seriousness, you're doing your job and you're doing it in a way that shows other game journalists what they should be doing. Well done!

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey

John W

Thanks for doing what us journalists should be doing, muckraking against these swine companies who want to put out shoddy work and expect us to open our wallets with no mind paid. Wish there were more out there like you working the big sites, and less like Gies.

EDIT: also if Gies does snap your neck, I call dibs on your spot at RPS.

Dekadez

Neo Member
Good on RPS and John Walker telling it like it is. Gaming companies should be worried about the press

You mean the press that is generally considered to be in the pockets of the big publishers? Gaming press has no leverage with the majority of consumers, their opinion doesn't scare anyone. It's hard to believe in someone who praises Dragon Age 2 as the best RPG ever, only to rightfully thrash Sim City 2013 (for example). There's no consistency anymore.

You mean the press that is generally considered to be in the pockets of the big publishers? Gaming press has no leverage with the majority of consumers, their opinion doesn't scare anyone. It's hard to believe in someone who praises Dragon Age 2 as the best RPG ever, only to rightfully thrash Sim City 2013 (for example). There's no consistency anymore.

Hence the use of the word "should".

John W

Thanks for journalism

Nokterian

John W

We need more people like you john. That's why i love reading RPS. Keep up the good work!

applauslxuzx.gif

...We have an intercom, however it works intermittently and requires some effort.

Oh man that one was hilarious,best crib indeed!

Stuart444

Correction: he THINKS he's a tank. Oh, and hi Arthur! He just tweeted about your post John so he can't get enough of these threads either, even though just before that he said he ignores them.

71iYlyt.png

30 minutes later...

l2IkE3R.png

It's funny, I see quite a few 'gaming journalists' say stuff like this.

Didn't Ben Parfitt from MCV once tweet a "Here is how much fucks I give" picture or something? Which ironically indicates he gives a fuck?

I'm sure it was him or someone who acts similarly.

Zaph

Why am I surprised to see that, on top of all this, Gies also has no sense of humour?

EDIT: Jesus fucking Christ - John Walker isn't actually fearing assault at GDC, Gies

OEO1f0T.png

Foffy

Banned
It's funny, I see quite a few 'gaming journalists' say stuff like this.

Didn't Ben whatever his name was from MCV once tweet a "Here is how much fucks I give" picture or something? Which ironically indicates he gives a fuck?

I'm sure it was him or someone who acts similarly.

Was Ben the guy who got so furious when GAF went after him for some of the stupid shit he was saying? Or am I confusing him with someone else? The guy I'm thinking of is the same guy who was defending Gies and called Walker one of the most hated guys in the industry, if it's the same person.

JABEE

Correction: he THINKS he's a tank. Oh, and hi Arthur! He just tweeted about your post John so he can't get enough of these threads either, even though just before that he said he ignores them.

71iYlyt.png

30 minutes later...

l2IkE3R.png

The funny part of this quip is "peer."

JDSN

Banned
Time to run John, that man has tattoos and piercings. I love how he sticks to his twitter cheerleaders while pretending not to read GAF, its aparently a thing all Polygon writers do. When Walker and Ian Bogost are telling you that you fucked up, maybe there is a chance that it might not be just entitled manchild gamers that think that your site is balls.

It makes me respect the people in game journalism that actually respond and have a dialogue with the people on GAF when things go down related to them, even if there's still a disagreement in the end, at the very least they had the humility to defend themselves rather than make a quick quip here and there, and disappear when the heat is on.

Stuart444

Time to run John, that man has tattoos and piercings. I love how he sticks to his twitter cheerleaders while pretending not to read GAF, its aparently a thing all Polygon writers do.

Oh yeah, didn't someone once post a pic showing all polygon writers following the GAF new thread twitter?

FACE

Banned

John W

ibykUTzM3W5zkL.gif

You guys are the best.

PopeReal

John W

Keep up the good work, I enjoy your coverage and the site!

unbias

Can anyone give a possible example of this "vitriol" that Gies claims that John Walker has directed at him?

Of course not, but he blames Walker for him dismissing Walkers source and then doubling down on his original stance. The only real "talk" between the 2 was here and honestly it was pretty tame.

I cant say I dont understand, with him taking such a defensive stance due to the situation he is in, in terms of public perception. But, he must realize the main reason this happened, wasn't simply because he towed the PR line from EA, but because of how he did it.

If he didn't come along with that "I'm better then you cause I know more" attitude he probably wouldn't have even been much of a topic for discussion.

Foffy

Banned
It makes me respect the people in game journalism that actually respond and have a dialogue with the people on GAF when things go down related to them, even if there's still a disagreement in the end, at the very least they had the humility to defend themselves rather than make a quick quip here and there, and disappear when the heat is on.

True. Walker and Jason Schreier are two pretty cool guys in this regard.

Nekofrog

Banned

John W

Get bishoptl to be your bodyguard.

PopeReal

71iYlyt.png

30 minutes later...

l2IkE3R.png

He reads them but ignores them. Well, he responds to them. Whatever.

And I guess the guy has no sense of humor, obviously it was a joke.

Omikaru

I don't get where Arthur thinks Walker is "directing vitriol" at him. I mean, wasn't it Gies who attacked Walker for having an anonymous source in the first place, when the reality is that Gies has regularly cited anonymous sources on GAF in relation to console specs and thelike? From how I see it, Arthur started this spat, and didn't really have a leg to stand on when John defended his journalism.

However, there is definitely unwarranted vitriol heading Arthur's way. When he mentioned it to me last night I checked out his @mentions to see if he was bullshitting me or not, and there was a fair bit of abuse being hurled at him. It's one thing to argue with someone publicly, call them out, or whatever, and it's another to just wish they'd fall under a bus or something.

However, there is definitely unwarranted vitriol heading Arthur's way. When he mentioned it to me last night I checked out his @mentions to see if he was bullshitting me or not, and there was a fair bit of abuse being hurled at him. It's one thing to argue with someone publicly, call them out, or whatever, and it's another to just wish they'd fall under a bus or something.
Whenever these things crop up there will always be people that make threats and extremely personal attacks, unfortunately. That doesn't make Gies right and everyone else wrong though. It just means there are crazy assholes out there.

Fistwell

A man of the people. Your work is appreciated.

Edit: is RPS experiencing heavier than usual traffic today? Site's been on and off most afternoon for me.

I don't get where Arthur thinks Walker is "directing vitriol" at him. I mean, wasn't it Gies who attacked him for having an anonymous source, when the reality is that Gies has regularly cited anonymous sources on GAF? From how I see it, Arthur started this spat, and didn't really have a leg to stand on.

That's inevitable with Twitter though. Gies is painting twitter trolls and people making legitimate digs at his handling of the situation with the same brush and its pretty bush league for a internet personality.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I don't get where Arthur thinks Walker is "directing vitriol" at him. I mean, wasn't it Gies who attacked Walker for having an anonymous source in the first place, when the reality is that Gies has regularly cited anonymous sources on GAF in relation to console specs and thelike? From how I see it, Arthur started this spat, and didn't really have a leg to stand on when John defended his journalism.

Yeah, but that's on Twitter, which can be anonymous and isn't really moderated.

What unwarranted vitriol is being directed towards him here on GAF? You know, the stuff he claims to ignore.

Omikaru

Whenever these things crop up there will always be people that make threats and extremely personal attacks, unfortunately. That doesn't make Gies right and everyone else wrong though. It just means there are crazy assholes out there.

No I agree, absolutely. But there was some doubt expressed in this thread about the vitriol heading Arthur's way, and he was definitely getting some. I doubt that's Walker directing it, however, and it absolutely does not make him right.

Top Bottom