• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

John Walker's anti-BS SimCity news articles.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
This is just ridiculous. You know what's the only thing missing? A reply from him in this thread. That'd make my day.

Anyway, he's victimizing himself, just to appear that he's right and we're wrong. Man, I kinda detected a bias from him in the Durango threads, but this confirms it, he really is biased.

This is just ridiculous. You know what's the only thing missing? A reply from him in this thread. That'd make my day.

Anyway, he's victimizing himself, just to appear that he's right and we're wrong. Man, I kinda detected a bias from him in the Durango threads, but this confirms it, he really is biased.

It is much easier to ignore valid criticism and write it off as "internet assholes".

He won't come here to actually back his shit up, he doesn't have the balls.

He hasn't posted since the 26th of February, probably because he'll be called out en masse.

That, and it's probably physically taxing for him to say the words "I was wrong".

CLEEK

Despite being a prolific poster in the various next gen rumour threads (constant claims of insider knowledge, secret sauce, Durango's amazing performance etc), he stopped posting on GAF after the PS4 reveal. After he's been comprehensively proven wrong about all his bullshit claims. And that was a drop in the ocean of credibility damage, compared to this whole SimCity saga.

So I doubt he'll be posting here again.

greycolumbus

The success of others absolutely infuriates me.
I wish Gies would stop. I really want to keep listening to Rebel FM without second guessing every odd thing he says.

unbias

His level of defience is getting so bad, that I'm almost starting to feel bad for him. Not because he deserves it, because he keeps bringing it on himself, but because he keeps digging himself an even bigger hole, that will probably stick with him for quite awhile, while also hurting anyone at polygon that doesnt want to or does not toe the EA SimCity line.

Because of this, this is why I say "almost", with him being the reviews editor, he is willingly making other coworkers look bad to "fight the good fight" by not following the "majority" by sticking to his guns about why EA is really not that bad, in all of this.

LuchaShaq

Banned
We're bringing "bullying" into it now? Really? Bullying?
ZsaeX.gif

And nobody is raving against a business model, they're "raving" against a broken game and the people that made blatant lies about what the game was.

Ding ding ding.

Was I happy about Diablo 3 being onine only? Nope.

Did Blizzard blatantly lie about it having server side computations/unable to work offline if they wanted to? Nope.

Not to mention Simcity being a broken game design wise even if the servers were perfect.

When this is all done we're going to need a giant compiled picture of tweets and headlines to use whenever someone tries to take any sycophant from this mess seriously ever again.

It is so entertaining.

Lime

How has no one close to Arthur Gies told him that he should straighten up? Is he surrounded by yes-people or something?

bhlaab

How has no one close to Arthur Gies told him that he should straighten up? Is he surrounded by yes-people or something?

No, he's surrounded by other games journalists who are incompetent assholes and then throw shit-fits on twitter when called out on it. That is sort of what their job is nowadays.

MarkusRJR

Haha holy shit, how hard is it to just admit you were wrong. Also I mentioned this before but this Gies drama needs its own thread. I have to read through like 3 threads to keep track of this all.

unbias

Haha holy shit, how hard is it to just admit you were wrong. Also I mentioned this before but this Gies drama needs its own thread. I have to read through like 3 threads to keep track of this all.

I would, but as much as I dislike the guy, I'm not willing to create a OP targeted specifically at him. As soon as he is done with the SimCity stuff, I'm back to not caring about him. Only reason I keep updating the op with his crap is because he called Walkers source and article into question, simply to toe the line.

MarkusRJR

I would, but as much as I dislike the guy, I'm not willing to create a OP targeted specifically at him. As soon as he is done with the SimCity stuff, I'm back to not caring about him. Only reason I keep updating the op with is crap is because he called walkers source and article into question, simply to toe the line.
Yeah that's understandable. I'm just finding this twitter drama so funny (considering all of the self-imposed hype and the documentary bullshit) and it's hard to keep track of because I'm sure as hell not following him on twitter. :p

This is making my decision to avoid Polygon/The Verge that much easier though.

Which lends more credence to him being a paid shill for EA.

He isn't, he's just intentionally contrarian which is actually worse in my eyes. So many of his past controversial comments about games are indefensible because there's little fact behind them.

Omikaru

Nah. Throwing remarks like this about just gives him an excuse to dismiss people's legitimate concerns about how all of this has been handled.

The entirety of Arthur's involvement in this boils down to hubris.

unbias

Ya, he isnt a shill, but I will say, I wouldnt be suprised if he one day wants to work for a publisher or dev as a community manager.

inky

Nah, I don't think he is (paid). He is someone who can't admit when he is wrong, who dispalys no critical thinking skills (seriously, read his reviews) and on top of that, he is someone that thinks he knows better than everyone else because he is on the other side of some made up fence. He believes himself part of the industry and as such he acts like he's above the readers who simply can't understand because we don't have his access.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
He's being a mouthpiece for EA, taking everything they say as fact, and dismissing all other points. Shilling or being purposely naive.

Maybe not a paid shill, but a shill nonetheless.

The weird thing is how he's trying to shift the argument by claiming that people are really upset about how SimCity is "changing."

Did anyone really get that upset by the idea of multiple cities interacting and multiplayer when the game and its features were first announced? SimCity 2000 had the obscure Network Edition that allowed multiple players in a single city; SimCity 4 had regions and connected cities for a single player experience, and people eventually figured out that you can use Dropbox to sync multiple players and cities within a shared region in a type of crude multiplayer that's basically a less refined version of what SimCity 2013 is doing 10 years after SC4's release. I was always under the impression that multiplayer and connected cities was something that fans of the series thought would be cool.

People aren't upset because SimCity is encouraging cooperation more so than past games, they're upset because it's implemented in the worst way possible.

Big-E

The GoW Ascension rant was such a ridiculous over-reaction, and it was coming from this guy...

jZ1eTUB.png

Wait, did this dude complain about nudity in God of War and he has those fucking paintings on the wall? I don't what his GoW rant was but I assume it is related to that given the picture you posted.

Top Bottom