• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

John Wick: Chapter 2 |OT| I Know Gun Fu

Status
Not open for further replies.
This was a fun, ridiculous film.

Apparently there are no police in the JW universe and it takes a lot to rattle NY commuters.

Also, semi-serious, I was certain that
his dog was going to pop up and chew Santino D'Antonio's face off at the end. That way, John technically would be out the game. They set it up perfectly by having the dog at the hotel for the whole film and it would have been a nice bit of vengeance for dogs in the JW world!

Just watched the first John Wick, it was a really good film but man the fucking start was so god damn sad. Was hoping that he'd torture the guy who killed the dog a bit but I guess he psychologically tortured him seeing as he knew that John was coming for him.

Straight up walking to him and shooting him was the best part. No words. No negotiating. No fucks given.

I thought this was solid but overrated. Doesn't hold a candle to Raid 2. For one thing, in the first JW, you built up a real hatred for the villains. In this, am I supposed to hate the main guy for blowing up his house and making him kill again? I'm watching the movie to see Wick kill more, so it's no sweat off my back. The Common scenes were solid fights, but again are based around professional respect and the animosity is not there. This would be fine if there were a better main villain, but there's not.

sirap

I thought this was solid but overrated. Doesn't hold a candle to Raid 2. For one thing, in the first JW, you built up a real hatred for the villains. In this, am I supposed to hate the main guy for blowing up his house and making him kill again? I'm watching the movie to see Wick kill more, so it's no sweat off my back. The Common scenes were solid fights, but again are based around professional respect and the animosity is not there. This would be fine if there were a better main villain, but there's not.

Yup. If anything, I hated Santino more than I did Iosef. The Russian kid was a prick, sure, but in the grand scheme of things he was nothing but a street thug. Kid had no idea who John Wick was or what the dog meant to him.

Santino on the other hand knew exactly what John went through and how important the mementos in that house were to him. Dude could've easily convinced the Continental to enforce the rules but chose to fuck with John instead. He's probably the least symphatetic character in the entire John Wick universe. A backstabber without an ounce of loyalty, not even for his own sister. Grade-A asshole if you ask me.

Zackat

Yup. If anything, I hated Santino more than I did Iosef. The Russian kid was a prick, sure, but in the grand scheme of things he was nothing but a street thug. Kid had no idea who John Wick was or what the dog meant to him.

Santino on the other hand knew exactly what John went through and how much the mementos in that house meant to him. Dude could've easily convinced the Continental to enforce the rules but chose to fuck with John instead. He's probably the least symphatetic character in the entire John Wick universe. A backstabber without an ounce of loyalty, not even for his own sister. Grade-A asshole if you ask me.

Yep, I hate Santino's guts.
then he goes and hides in the Continental like a wuss.

Minus_Me

Very much enjoyed it! Loved the world building throughout. Only caveat was I found it a little long personally.

I always said that LED hallway would make a good fight stage, glad to be indulged.

xk0sm0sx

This film has so many ridiculous scenes, it makes that silent shootout as the two assasins were walking side by side with other predestrians seem tame in comparison. That scene was just so funny to watch.

Santino's sister is also badass as hell, compared to her brother.

I guess the third part will expand on the Mafia world?
Kinda sad we won't be seeing the Hotel anymore. :(

Also question:
The opening chase involving that golden card, I don't know if that has any meaning at all.

TheFlow

Banned
I'm absolutely in love with Wicks constant corny ass dialogue, Keanu's delivery was so peffect "I'm working on it" killed me everytime

I felt like his dialog was such an improvement over the first.

also I noticed how the first film had that weird blur on it. glad they got rid of it. didn't notice till Toothless posted about it.

Jarnet87

Apparently there are no police in the JW universe and it takes a lot to rattle NY commuters.

his dog was going to pop up and chew Santino D'Antonio's face off at the end. That way, John technically would be out the game. They set it up perfectly by having the dog at the hotel for the whole film and it would have been a nice bit of vengeance for dogs in the JW world!

I just got back from seeing it. No police and everyone in the world is an assassin apparently lol.

I thought the action was better in JW2, but the story and the pace of the film move better in JW1.

All those people that Winston called to the fountain area (those who freeze for a couple of seconds)? I am assuming they were all assassins and hung around for a few minutes.
Well both films have made a point to show there is an entire underground society filled with people across a huge range of occupations. It's a fantastical world within a world that vaguely reminds me of Harry Potter's Wizardverse.
The people Winston put on display could have easily been informants, scouts, random Continental employees, clean up crews, bodyguards etc. Not everyone is a literal hitman in the Wick universe. Perkins and Dafoe are the only other assassins we see in JC1 besides John, for instance. And from merchants and vendors to the party goers who toast to the High Table, the majority of underworld denizens we see in Chapter 2 aren't killers, either.

The Wick universe desperately needs a comic, TV or book series. It's almost too rich for film.

Really enjoyed this, not quite as much as the first one but still a worthy sequel. I hope the third one can make this a truly great trilogy.

Santino on the other hand knew exactly what John went through and how important the mementos in that house were to him. Dude could've easily convinced the Continental to enforce the rules but chose to fuck with John instead. He's probably the least symphatetic character in the entire John Wick universe. A backstabber without an ounce of loyalty, not even for his own sister. Grade-A asshole if you ask me.

It's not that Santino was sympathetic, its just that John's motivation is not that strong. He's not even getting revenge for blowing up his house.

John Wick 2: Poor Decisions:

"I don't want to kill more! I will ignore my blood oath and hope this all blows over!"

John Wick apparently doesn't care about the consequences of ignoring the marker, and loses everything.

"Alright I'll kill more because you blew up my house! I have no digital copies of that photo!"

John kills his target. Santino betrays him, considers him a loose end, hence:

"I have to kill Santino and a million others because he won't let me live in peace!"

Santino hides like a coward. Wick is warned that his can never live in peace again if he kills Santino, hence:

"I have to kill Santino in the Continental because he ruined my peaceful life, despite everyone warning me that this will further ruin any chance I ever had of being at peace again!"

"Damn, I guess I now have to kill everyone in the world in order to be at peace and never kill again!"

xandaca

That was fantastic. Easily the best actioner since, erm, John Wick. Loved how booming the gunshots were, the choreography, the locations (especially that stunning room where Gianna died) and how funny it often was (the 'shootout' between John and Cassian walking through the crowd, and Franco Nero's concern that John was going to take down the Pope). Minor criticisms were when it played to the crowd a bit too blatantly (too many winking references to the original) and some indiscrepancies in the world building (value of the coins, why anyone would accept the contract in the previous film to kill on Continental grounds considering the consequences). Those are very minor, though, it's the first non-Bond film I'm considering going to see again in as long as I can remember (Bonds get a pass because I've been a huge Bond nerd since childhood).

lachesis

I wasn't interested in John Wick till I saw this thread... watched the first one a few days ago and about to see the 2nd one tomorrow AM. Pretty excited! :)

Nepenthe

Saw the original film for the first time before going to the movies to see the sequel immediately after. Great franchise so far! Glad to see it embrace longer takes and a steadier camera so I can physically see Keanu pull off that sweet pinpoint gunplay. What also helps elevate it are the humorous reactions the underworld has whenever they learn Wick's involved in anything or coming for someone they know; it provides both some great levity and weight to Wick's abilities. Also, am I alone on feeling that the color grading for the films is gorgeous? Seriously, the films are a treat to look at, especially the scene in the second film
where an extended gunfight takes place in the infinite reflection art exhibit.

I need a third film in my veins immediately.

sirap

It's not that Santino was sympathetic, its just that John's motivation is not that strong. He's not even getting revenge for blowing up his house.

John Wick 2: Poor Decisions:

"I don't want to kill more! I will ignore my blood oath and hope this all blows over!"

John Wick apparently doesn't care about the consequences of ignoring the marker, and loses everything.

"Alright I'll kill more because you blew up my house! I have no digital copies of that photo!"

John kills his target. Santino betrays him, considers him a loose end, hence:

"I have to kill Santino and a million others because he won't let me live in peace!"

Santino hides like a coward. Wick is warned that his can never live in peace again if he kills Santino, hence:

"I have to kill Santino in the Continental because he ruined my peaceful life, despite everyone warning me that this will further ruin any chance I ever had of being at peace again!"

"Damn, I guess I now have to kill everyone in the world in order to be at peace and never kill again!"

Uh...I'm pretty sure he is. John Wick is shown to be an extremely sentimental person. The opening of this movie happened because he wanted to retrieve a letter from his deceased wife. That said, it's probably not the entire reason why he'd want to
kill Santino, who probably intended to kill John when he launched those grenades into John's home. Ff there's anything we as the audience should've picked up from the first movie, it's that John Wick wants to continue living (the dogs represent that)

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
So,

He leaves Lincoln Center, then walks into the WTC path station, gets on and they call it the C train and then make up a bunch of stop names that neither the C nor the Path train go to.

If I were a trained assassin, I'd be like "Oh, cool. Open contract, 10 million dollars. *scrolls down* John Wick? Fuck that!"

I really really really really wish
someone had scrolled down, saw it was John, just straight up said nope, and went on with their day

So,

He leaves Lincoln Center, then walks into the WTC path station, gets on and they call it the C train and then make up a bunch of stop names that neither the C nor the Path train go to.

New York deserved it

codhand

So,

in the end he gets dropped off at bryant park but then has a conversation in central park

Sylas

So,

I got excited when he was in the Oculus though. I walk through there every day and it explains why they closed it off for a little while.

cantona222

What's the deal with the scene where John Wick met the Hotel owner for the first time.
The hotel owner was checking new coins and said to the guy bringing the coins: The coins look impeccable and you can add them in the circulation." I thought that he is adding fake coins and that he will get into trouble for doing that later in the movie... But obviously I was wrong 😅.

What's the deal with the scene where John Wick met the Hotel owner for the first time.
The hotel owner was checking new coins and said to the guy bringing the coins: The coins look impeccable and you can add them in the circulation." I thought that he is adding fake coins and that he will get into trouble for doing that later in the movie... But obviously I was wrong 😅.

I saw that scene just as a "how sausage is made" sequence. A quick to work in a little expository on the universe.

StoOgE

I think because he is in charge of everything in the world, he was putting new coins into circulation

The bigger question is why 1 coin gets you two drinks, but 3 coins gets you all the intel you need to kill a person and 4 coins gets you a couple hundred grand worth of illegal weaponry. That drink be pricey.

Tigel

So,

Actually, a lot of scenes from the subway set piece were filmed in my home town of Montreal at metro station Place des Arts.

Place_des_Arts_45.jpg
This is where he fights the
violinist assassin
for exemple.

farisr

Saw this a few days ago. Loved it. Drove 30 minutes to view it at a decent screen because 50 Shades and Lego Batman had taken up all the good ones nearby.

Glad that it's already past the box office totals of the first film and has already made back its production budget of $40 million domestically. John Wick 3 should be a lock now.

The Guy In Red

Neo Member
Can someone explain the
Pope
reference in the Rome continental? The manager asks John if he's in Rome to kill the Pope. Any reason as to why that is?

Yeah the whole coin economy is way out of wack now, at least John Wick 1 didn't run into that too much

Saw this a few days ago. Loved it.

Glad that it's already past the box office totals of the first film and has already made back its production budget of $40 million domestically. John Wick 3 should be a lock now.

I think they knew they had a winner so they're making 3 in pretty quick time

Can someone explain the
Pope
reference in the Rome continental? The manager asks John if he's in Rome to kill the Pope. Any reason as to why that is?

John's the caliber of hitman you call to ice the Pope

farisr

Can someone explain the
Pope
He was just curious, more likely just a nod that John Wick would be the guy to go to for a high profile assassination like that.

Lemaitre

Banned
Just echoing most impressions hereand adding that part two is even more amazing than the first. I'm usually not into action movies but I love this universe and Keanu was exactly the man for the job.

Bring on part three!

StoOgE

Can someone explain the
Pope

John Wick is who you would hire for something like that. I also assume the character is catholic and doesn't want that to happen. Lots of nods to religious conflict in the movie with paid killers.

In regards to your spolier comments,

Im really glade they didnt have the dog be a work around. Just because I dont think we should be using animals to do violence to someone else, even if it is just pretend violence. Also, the dog(s) in Jon Wick's life are a reminder of how you can live a calmer life. Having the dog do violence would destroy that narrative. Plus, I like how the movie sticks to its lore. Even thought Wick is the main character, and a highly reveared person in that community he still got the same

KadeYuy

Watched it last night and thought it was great. I liked the subtitles having a lot of style. Keeping the subtitles center so you're still looking at the whole shot is cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom