• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

John Wick: Chapter 2 |OT| I Know Gun Fu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reeves shares his idea for John Wick 3
I think the opening of the film should be Wick just trying to escape from New York. Literally trying to get off the island. Maybe he asks [Lawrence Fisburne's character] the Bowery King for help. Maybe John Leguizamo comes and helps me out. ”John, I can't do it, you're excommunicado!"

”Maybe the High Table shows up. And then the High Table starts firing guns. And then maybe this kind of thing starts to happen between the High Table and Continental? Maybe John is the activator of this confrontation, and perhaps there's a war? Wouldn't that be awesome?!
"
http://www.empireonline.com/people/...e-keanu-reeves-talks-john-wick-3-story-ideas/

Loxley

I hope they get creative with the idea of "The High Table" in the third film. The name itself conjures an image of a group of men and women literally sitting at a fancy table in a dimly-lit, ornate room (sort of like Spectre) dolling out orders and such. I hope they don't do that, and instead find a way make the concept a little more interesting than another shadowy council that we've seen in movies before.

Abelard

Just watched it, amazing movie from start to finish- kinda disappointed we didn't get a music action video like with "Think" in the first movie, but other than that it was better and sets up nicely for a sequel.

GhaleonEB

Got to give the movie props. Usually stuff like that is best left to your imagination, because showing it onscreen is never as cool as what you can think. But damn, here it was more brutal and awesome

I literally squealed the moment
he grabbed the pencil.

So this was kind of awesome. So great that I'm just going to list the stuff I didn't like, and leave it implied that everything else was great.

Making half the population of New York an assassin of some sort was overkill. The basic premise of John on the run from who knows who is a sound one, but everyone coming out of the woodwork took a lot of the mystique of this elite underground. Way, way too many, to the point where it shattered the believably that such an underground could be a thing.

Also, they did this same plot thread in the first film, where he had a three million dollar bounty on his head. It didn't make sense to me why there would be that many more going after John just because the bounty is even more absurdly high. The first film had the right approach to fellow assassins coming after him.

I didn't like the second fight with the rival guy, the one that was guarding his target at the beginning. It felt redundant and even absurd, how they were popping shots off at each other from close range while walking slowly. One of the only parts of either film I thought was simply dumb. That sequence contributed to what I felt was 3rd act pacing issues.

Also, I was hoping they'd team up to take down the main bad guy, since it was he that put the call in for John in the first place.

I wanted John to get his car back. Hope they open the third film with that.

I also wanted the mute woman spared, but she was pretty clearly stabbed in the heart. Just like me. :(

That's about it really. Everything else was great. In particular:

Even more so than the first film, this was less about John's target and more about the fallout from it. I didn't expect him to find his target so easily and early, nor for that scene to play out the way it did. Totally upended my expectations; I figured the third film would be John going after the one that set him up. Nope!

Setting up all these different mega organizations; Morpheus' street crew, the High Table ring of crime organizations, the (now international) Continental. The third film is totally going to play them all off each other and it's going to be all out war.

My daughter went with me to see this one, though she hasn't seen the first (I gave her a primer). She liked it a lot, and she doesn't like many of the movies we go to these days. That's a ringing endorsement.

I literally squealed the moment
he grabbed the pencil.

So this was kind of awesome. So great that I'm just going to list the stuff I didn't like, and leave it implied that everything else was great.

Making half the population of New York an assassin of some sort was overkill. The basic premise of John on the run from who knows who is a sound one, but everyone coming out of the woodwork took a lot of the mystique of this elite underground. Way, way too many, to the point where it shattered the believably that such an underground could be a thing.

Also, they did this same plot thread in the first film, where he had a three million dollar bounty on his head. It didn't make sense to me why there would be that many more going after John just because the bounty is even more absurdly high. The first film had the right approach to fellow assassins coming after him.

I didn't like the second fight with the rival guy, the one that was guarding his target at the beginning. It felt redundant and even absurd, how they were popping shots off at each other from close range while walking slowly. One of the only parts of either film I thought was simply dumb. That sequence contributed to what I felt was 3rd act pacing issues.

Also, I was hoping they'd team up to take down the main bad guy, since it was he that put the call in for John in the first place.

I wanted John to get his car back. Hope they open the third film with that.

I also wanted the mute woman spared, but she was pretty clearly stabbed in the heart. Just like me. :(

That's about it really. Everything else was great. In particular:

Even more so than the first film, this was less about John's target and more about the fallout from it. I didn't expect him to find his target so easily and early, nor for that scene to play out the way it did. Totally upended my expectations; I figured the third film would be John going after the one that set him up. Nope!

Setting up all these different mega organizations; Morpheus' street crew, the High Table ring of crime organizations, the (now international) Continental. The third film is totally going to play them all off each other and it's going to be all out war.

My daughter went with me to see this one, though she hasn't seen the first (I gave her a primer). She liked it a lot, and she doesn't like many of the movies we go to these days. That's a ringing endorsement.

I agree on the
half of NY being assassin's. And then at the end, I hope it was supposed to be more of a paranoia thing than all of those people actually being assassin's.

Keihart

I think that that scene didn't meant that literally everyone that looked at him after the ring was an assassin but it was trying to just show John's Paranoia because he knew the bounty was going up again in one hour so every ring in that moment meant a possible assassin.

I mean , imagine being in his situation, i would be pretty worried too about anyone looking at his phone in that moment too.

Plot synopsis:
In John Wick Chapter 3: Wick vs. The World, the titular character, John, is on the run after being excommunicated from the organization of Assassins known as, The Continental. The story picks up shortly after Chapter 2 and finds our protagonist desperately seeking asylum with and old friend while being hunted by a seemingly endless horde of his former "co-workers".

The opening sequence may go down as one of the most thrilling set pieces in recent years. It begins with John and Dog on foot then onto his now refurbished car, decked out with upgrades. From there, we see our protagonist make his way to a freighter before ending up on a plane. All this occurring while under heavy fire and impossibly acrobatic hand to hand combat and gun battles. You'll find yourself wincing and grinning at the same time as the director has found a way make every moment urgent while never betraying believability. The sequence has the grandeur of a Fast and Furious movie with the gritty in-camera realism of The Raid 2. This will be remembered as probably the best 20 minutes of the film and is worth the price of admission. Go see this film!

I agree on the
half of NY being assassin's. And then at the end, I hope it was supposed to be more of a paranoia thing than all of those people actually being assassin's.

I don't think it's that everyone in New York is an assassin, so much it is that
Winston brought a huge number of individuals with him to John's excommunication (which we've seen), and the bounty at that time had been raised to fourteen million. I assumed they were just the people that Winston brought with him who were still in the area.

There definitely is the subtext that it's to highlight the paranoia of how anybody could be plotting against him, and to convey the overwhelming sense of danger he's now in with the price for him that high without any support. EDIT: However, there is unquestionably a lot of people involved in The Continental's network from what we've seen in both movies, so my spoilered assumption could be way off the mark and the people he sees and Winston are unrelated

I wonder if
all those new coins going into circulation
are part of a plan thatWwinston has to destabilise the economy and thus lead to an attempt to
take over the High Table
. Those coins are
not legit and are going to make things equally as hard for anyone using the services of the Continental.

GhaleonEB

I think that that scene didn't meant that literally everyone that looked at him after the ring was an assassin but it was trying to just show John's Paranoia because he knew the bounty was going up again in one hour so every ring in that moment meant a possible assassin.

I mean , imagine being in his situation, i would be pretty worried too about anyone looking at his phone in that moment too.

I didn't mean the very ending.
Rather, when the initial bounty went out there were assassins all over the place. The sumo guy, the woman by the fountain, the pencil fight, the ones he dropped by the train station, the two janitors....

It's not paranoia if they're actually everywhere.

Rather, when the initial bounty went out there were assassins all over the place. The sumo guy, the woman by the fountain, the pencil fight, the ones he dropped by the train station, the two janitors....

I imagine that NYC is a big place where
a lot of people like this work and the presence of the Continental makes the city act like a hub.

I wonder if
all those new coins going into circulation
are part of a plan thatWwinston has to destabilise the economy and thus lead to an attempt to
take over the High Table
. Those coins are
not legit and are going to make things equally as hard for anyone using the services of the Continental.
The coin scene seemed to be just an insight into where they come from. There's nothing to indicate the coins are counterfeit (why would he need to them to be?), that Winston doesn't respect the High Table or its rules (he admonishes John for not honoring the Marker) or that he's plotting against anyone.

paskowitz

Act 1: Escape from NY

John picks up where chapter 2 left off trying to escape NY within an hour before every assassin in the city sets their sights on him. Opening shot is John frantically running, exhausted, almost in a daze, reflecting on the events that brought him to this point. As he passes the many assassins of NY he realizes that his "kill'em all" strategy may have to be put on hold.

With only minutes to spare before the hour is up, John makes it to his car mechanic, Aurelio. There he finds his old Mustang still bent and broken, much like his spirits. Aurelio tells him his car was unfixable, but he has done him one better, a new decked out Shelby Mustang GT350, complete with bullet proof glass, run flats and police bumpers.

As the hour is up, John floors it out of the shop and begins his frantic bare knuckle escape. Power sliding through Times Square John makes his way through the city, assassins in pursuit (bike, car, roof top sniper, etc). The chase has more in common with The French Connection than the Fast and Furious franchise. With night descending and his fuel running low, John has to loose his pursuers. He crashes his car into a subway tunnel under construction.

There he sets out on foot, dog in tow. He makes it to an outlet and steels a bystander's phone and hails an Uber. The driver, not an assassin is shocked at the broken man, big dog and big gun pointed at him. Some comic relief ensues and John asks him to take him to JFK, where he sneaks onto a private jet, destination unknown.

Act 2: Coming soon...

Here's my John Wick 3 idea.

It opens right after the ending of John Wick 2 with him running, but oh shit the dog just hit him from behind with a steel chair, oh goddamnit the dog and Charon just did a complicated high five slash dance routine and that's the ending

here's some other shit here's some other shit here's some other shit here's some other shit
here's some other shit here's some other shit here's some other shit here's some other shit
here's some other shit

Keihart

Isn't that like an international contract? like people from all over the world are coming for him?

cj_iwakura

This film was absolutely bonkers, and I loved it. That's how you do action, W.S. Anderson. In clear, single takes without a cut every five seconds.

Mythology paradise. Yum.

I don't care what the plot of Wick 3 is, but I need to see her in the sequel...
carrie-anne-moss.jpg

I need the reunion to happen T_T

Anyways, the movie was insane, I haven't come out of a sequel that satisfyingly good since Spider-Man 2 and The Dark Knight. Damn even Winter Soldier was good, but not this fucking good.

Triz

That feeling when you harp on your buddy for not seeing John Wick, he finally texts you a picture of it on screen with the text of "Holy Fucking Shit."

Here's my John Wick 3 idea.

It opens right after the ending of John Wick 2 with him running, but oh shit the dog just hit him from behind with a steel chair, oh goddamnit the dog and Charon just did a complicated high five slash dance routine and that's the ending

here's some other shit

Naw, it should begin with Xzibit rolling up, looking at John and then his canine companion and saying, "Yo, dawg..."

carlsojo

I need the reunion to happen T_T

Anyways, the movie was insane, I haven't come out of a sequel that satisfyingly good since Spider-Man 2 and The Dark Knight. Damn even Winter Soldier was good, but not this fucking good.

I'd be willing to bet she's in 3. She was at the premiere of 2 hanging out with Reeves and Fishburne to "support" the premiere or whatever. Just make it happen.

Have her be a member of the
high table

Nameless

Really need to see this again. I honestly can't recall a time I walked out of a theater so charged up. Wick is the gold standard for action films right now. The choreography, cinematography, and world building outclass everything else in the genre by a wide margin.

Rewatched The Accountant last night, and it became abundantly clear that it was at least partially influenced by John Wick.

Check this action scene out:
https://youtu.be/wPWY0b4kADk?t=1m29s

This actually makes me appreciate how much Keanu busts his ass even more. As over the top and stylized JW films are, they still have an heir of believability in no small part due to how far he pushes himself on screen and off.

cj_iwakura

One thing I don't like is
that they don't have a retaliatory clause to stop clients from putting out contracts on the ones they hired. Seems unfair.

Blizzard

Banned
I finally saw the movie tonight. I'd say 7/10, or 8.5/10 if you really liked John Wick 1. I think I can keep this mostly non-spoilery:

Good:
  • Very stylized environments and camera shots that made me want to play Mirror's Edge and Catalyst again.
  • Clean cinematography that wasn't motion-sickness inducing.
  • Good soundtrack again.
  • I liked the rule-abiding and level of respect between various characters. I was cracking up
    when Wick and Cassian were taking silenced potshots at each other while trying to avoid civilian casualties
  • Ruby Rose's character was VERY badass and attractive.

Good/bad:
  • Wick doesn't seem to have very good situational awareness, which leads to him getting spied on / hit by cars a LOT. There were some nice car dodges but I feel like an accurate sharpshooter would take him out easily in some places. Regarding his arrogance, at least this is sort of lampshaded when
    the Continental manager is like "you idiot, of course he was going to blow your house up, what did you think he'd do when he was all NICE HOUSE SHAME IF SOMETHING HAPPENS TO IT
  • Yeah, I'll agree with the people commenting that (general worldbuilding)
    basically 1/4 of New York's population seems to be a secret assassin or associated with them

Bad:
  • The movie was CRAZY LOUD and I wasn't even in an IMAX theater. This is a plus for some people, but I forgot to bring earplugs and it was too much fo rme.
  • The first long action sequence
    catacombs, concert, escape
    reminded me a lot of John Wick 1. OK, fine. The second long action sequence
    chasing the guy who hired him, hall of mirrors etc.
    felt kind of redundant and I thought the movie could have had some fat trimmed or something from the last third.
  • I didn't care for how the ending was
    pure sequel setup instead of giving Wick at least a small break like the end of the first movie

Blizzard

Banned
I forgot the other thing that stood out to me. As in the first movie, Wick has incredible accuracy to kill lots of henchmen with single shots. When major enemies appear, however, he has very little ability to hit from a distance.

You can say those enemies are good at dodging or something, but it does feel especially noticeable in this movie that
everyone else is going to die, and then he's going to fight the miniboss, and then everyone else is going to die, and then he's going to fight the bigger boss or whatever

TheKeyPit

Banned
I saw it an hour ago. JOHN WICK!

Ending:
John looking at Santino, while the latter tells the former that he could stay here(Continental) for a while. My thoughts during this: Is John going to break the rules and kill him? He wants him dead and a god damn rule won't stop him. He finished him off just like he finished off Vigo's(was that his name) son in the first movie. A quick final shot.

Hugo Weaving too? Or would that be too much?
Considering that Keanu is seemingly making films now just on the basis of repaying people who helped him look awesome in The Matrix (Chad Stahelski was his stunt double, he directed and starred in a vehicle for his martial arts instructor), its not that far fetched to think that he'll continue throwing bones to whomever could use a boost.

Hell, he's been trying to get Bill & Ted 3 off the ground for years now. I suspect only because he wants to do a solid for Alex Winter.

Also to note, if all of Keanu's pro-bono work is this good then I want him to keep making movies forever.

Chumley

Banned
Hugo Weaving, Carrie Anne Moss, Chow Yun Fat, and Joey Pants on the high table for JW3. Dream team.

Also, nobody mentioned Wick is such an S tier assassin that
he made his target kill herself just because of his reputation and presence.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Saw it last night and absolutely fucking loved it.

Beautifully shot, the mirror setpiece was wonderful, the action was clear and not hidden away behind bad editing. I loved the faint touches in expanding the mythology. The first movie did a lot of this as well, and the sequel does well in furthering that approach.

Also that whole mission in Italy totally felt like a Hitman mission, didn't it? The setting up, the entrance of the target... Like...
he even gets caught by passing by a guard who recognizes him lol

But this really does feel like their own take on something like God of War. I doubt this was intentional, but with all these lordly figures working as stand-ins for Greek gods, the way it's all framed and the societal systems surrounding them all, it really does feel like this "tearing down of Olympus." JW3 is going to be incredible.

So apparently the director of both films, Chad Stahelski, did mo-cap work on Dead to Rights?
That is pretty much a perfect thing to learn and makes complete sense in retrospect upon seeing the film.

I even thought to myself on the ride home that the many, many disarm/kills that Wick pulls off were reminiscent of the game series, Dead to Rights. But I thought, "No way were those games popular enough to influence anybody." I may have been wrong.

TheKeyPit

Banned
So, regarding the number of hitman in the world of John Wick: The scene at the fountain shows at least 50 people that aren't hitman. People exaggerate when they say that 1/4 of NY are hitman. It's more like 1 out of 50 or 100.

Blizzard

Banned
So, regarding the number of hitman in the world of John Wick: The scene at the fountain shows at least 50 people that aren't hitman. People exaggerate when they say that 1/4 of NY are hitman. It's more like 1 out of 50 or 100.
Do you mean the
fountain where the Manager sends everyone away on an instant signal? If so, even if they weren't assassins, that pretty clearly showed they were in his organization or under his control

TheKeyPit

Banned
Do you mean the
fountain where the Manager sends everyone away on an instant signal? If so, even if they weren't assassins, that pretty clearly showed they were in his organization or under his control
Nah,
I should've mentioned that it is the fountain where Cassian and John see each other.

Just saw it today and wow. Action dialed up to 11 but I loved it. Only thing that irked me a little that he did the flipping over execution move a bit too many times but thats about it lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom