• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable OT What a Beautiful Duwang

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Slide-down-stairs.gif

I'm ready.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
For anyone wondering why Josuke Higashikata is nicknamed JoJo despite not having a name like Joseph Joestar or Jotaro Kujo - the characters for "Higa" in his name can be read as "Jo"
Thanks for sharing. I never understood that.

fun trivia: Araki wanted Lisa Lisa to actually fight and be even more important through Part 2, but the corporates forced him to do otherwise
Corporates fucked up since Lisa Lisa was hyped since she beat down Joseph with an oar. Then the next time she fights she's nothing. I expected her to be able to fight too since I love her design in the anime.

Skittles

If the sound effects for one of the stands doesn't sound like 1960's batman, i'm going to be severely disappointed.

Wondering how bad the censorship in this part is going to be. From what I remember it gets even more gory at certain times than part 3

daevious

The Duwang scans were the only available translation back when I read through Part 4, so I'm excited for this just to understand what was actually going on during the earlier chapters.

Also for the best dumb filler chapter to be animated. I'll leave it to the thread's imagination which chapter I'm talking about.

EDIT:
But seriously, I don't get it.

Said face looked a lot like a certain spoilery stand for Part 4. At least to me it did.

Fandangox

Speaking of hair, I never understood what the fuck was up with Rohan's, I think is supposed to look like a paint brush, but what the fuck is that thing, a hat/bandana? Part of his hair?

Tizoc

Gonna get me some pizza for dnner while watching the first ep.
A shame it isn't some kind of 2 episode long special @o@

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
I thought it was the suke that could be read as "Jo".

Yes. To be more specific, the first Jo in Josuke is a Jô (long vowel). The second one is a short "jo", which is another way of reading the "suke" character.

The "higashi" in "Higashikata" can't be read "jo". It can be read as "tô", however. In fact, Higashi/Tô is the character for "East". You know what other other word has that character? Tôkyô, a.k.a "the Eastern capital".

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Yes. To be more specific, the first Jo in Josuke is a Jô (long vowel). The second one is a short "jo", which is another way of reading the "suke" character.

The "higashi" in "Higashikata" can't be read "jo". It can be read as "tô", however. In fact, Higashi/Tô is the character for "East". You know what other other word has that character? Tôkyô, a.k.a "the Eastern capital".

In fact, Higashikata (東方) is usually read as Touhou.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock

You can read his last name as basically Eastern Jojo. 東方 can be read touhou, which is "from the east" and like you said 仗助 can be read "JoJo" first kanji being for cane and second being for help. I don't know this for sure, and I'm just making this up out of my ass, but it looks like his name signifies he's the Japanese version of his dad (who is a guy who is assisted by a cane).

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
In fact, Higashikata (東方) is usually read as Touhou.

You can read his last name as basically Eastern Jojo. 東方 can be read touhou, which is "from the east" and like you said 仗助 can be read "JoJo" first kanji being for cane and second being for help. I don't know this for sure, and I'm just making this up out of my ass, but it looks like his name signifies he's the Japanese version of his dad (who is a guy who is assisted by a cane).

All true/possible, but I was just restricting my explanation to why the name makes sense for "JoJo" character :p.

[EDIT]

I await DTL.

Do you think he'll be all over Jusuke like he was all over Jotaru?

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Did DTL like Jotaro? I thought Kakyoin was more his thing.

True, but Jotaru was the only one he spelled consistently right... and by right I mean wrong.
Though I'm pretty sure in his mind Kakyoin's cherry-twirling antics are signified by "RERURERURERURERU".

[EDIT] Ironically, the only character I wish he'd misspell like that is "Avdol". I mean, his name should be Abdul anyway, not Avdol.

Top Bottom