• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders |OT| ATTEMPT NO MANGA SPOILERS HERE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Astral

I'm beginning to suspect we're getting trolled into spoilers.

Unless...

1413083830201.png

Astral

Kind of a meh episode. I don't know how they're gonna make what's left of it into an entire episode. Hopefully they don't.

sjack

Banned
Disappointed. Nothing happened.

Polnareff's thing happened.

But yes, as I previously said, they could easily fit a majority of these fights into single episodes. Going from DRRR, where a single episode throws at you an overwhelming amount of information and events, to this, where they're desperately trying to pad fights out to justify their 2 cours, can be pretty grating.

Tizoc

While I haven't seen this ep. yet myself, I do believe the next ep. will more than make up for it ;3
If you haven't watched it yet then I would suggest watching it with next week's ep.

Kurtofan

Kind of a meh episode. I don't know how they're gonna make what's left of it into an entire episode. Hopefully they don't.

Actually they only animated 2 chapters out of the 5 that constitutes this story. Next episode is probably just going to be those 3 chapters.

Disappointed. Nothing happened. They could put the whole battle in a single episode.

5 chapters in one episode would mean cutting a lot of stuff, like the whole washing Polnareff scene.

Kurtofan

Polnareff's thing happened.

But yes, as I previously said, they could easily fit a majority of these fights into single episodes. Going from DRRR, where a single episode throws at you an overwhelming amount of information and events, to this, where they're desperately trying to pad fights out to justify their 2 cours, can be pretty grating.

They're not trying to justify their 2 cours, they're adapting the material. It doesn't fit into 1 cour.

Alessi is the worst egypt fight. All the rest are aces though

Alessi is better than Geb. The villain and the stand are more interesting. I think it's a good fight (but it's too early to talk about it since it's not over yet).

Astral

Actually they only animated 2 chapters out of the 5 that constitutes this story. Next episode is probably just going to be those 3 chapters.

5 chapters in one episode would mean cutting a lot of stuff, like the whole washing Polnareff scene.

Oh damn. Now I'm really curious how they're gonna make the transition from
Hol Horse shooting Dio to D'arby. That fight is pretty long if I remember correctly.

bjork

Slightly off-topic but I figure someone here will know: I saw the hardback volume 1 for part 1 in a bookstore the other day. Are they going to try and publish the entire Jojo run that way, or is it just part 1?

Demoli

Alessi is the worst egypt fight. All the rest are aces though

I'd argue that Set's is one of the most creative fights of season 3, and is one of the the few that show how creative stands can be.

Worst Egypt fight is probably a tie between Geb and Bastet

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Slightly off-topic but I figure someone here will know: I saw the hardback volume 1 for part 1 in a bookstore the other day. Are they going to try and publish the entire Jojo run that way, or is it just part 1?
I believe it's going to be part 1 and 2 for now.

sjack

Banned
They're not trying to justify their 2 cours, they're adapting the material. It doesn't fit into 1 cour.

That's what I mean. The ideal number of episodes would've been along the lines of 14-16 for the egypt arc, but because the way seasonal anime works in Japan, they have to drag it out into 24. The entirety of Part 1 and 2 was covered in that amount of time.

That's what I mean. The ideal number of episodes would've been along the lines of 14-16 for the egypt arc, but because the way seasonal anime works in Japan, they have to drag it out into 24. The entirety of Part 1 and 2 was covered in that amount of time.

The Egypt arc alone was still longer than part 2 in the manga, and without rushing or cutting anything it does need the 2 cours.

FluxWaveZ

Episode 32

Extended bath scene NOOOOO.

I like how quickly Polnareff understood what was up, at least. I chuckled when Jojo was said something like "Stay vigilant," and Polnareff replied "Who do you think I am?", but I guess he pulled through this time.

I've realized that Jotaro likes to stare at things and people, and look like he knows what's going on but, outside of combat, he usually doesn't.

sjack

Banned
As someone who hasn't read part 2, I'd prefer to know I would have a complete adaptation of the manga by watching this, instead of one where they had to cut corners or abridge it significantly.

That's what I mean, they can complete the entirety of the egypt arc in 16 episodes easily. Even less. Alessi and Mariah don't need to be 2 parts. The first 2 part fight in SC was Hol Horse and J. Geil, and that's because those had serious story moments and plot developments occur in them. Alessi and Mariah are about as significant as Strength or Devil, both of which were a single episode fight.

Crocodile

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders - Episode 31

• I'm not used to Polanreff using his brain and being actually smart for once. It took me off guard.
  • We can all agree Alessi is a pedophile right? Jeez >_>
  • Goddamn Iggy do you do ANYTHING?
  • WUT at the Bath Scene. Like holy shit what the fuck O_O
As someone who hasn't read part 2, I'd prefer to know I would have a complete adaptation of the manga by watching this, instead of one where they had to cut corners or abridge it significantly.

Agreed. A big selling point of this adaptation is that we are getting ALL the content. Every other adaptation of Stardust Crusaders has cut stuff out in the past. I want the all the meat, no "to get the rest of the story go read the manga" bullshit that so many anime pull >_<

That's what I mean, they can complete the entirety of the egypt arc in 16 episodes easily. Even less. Alessi and Mariah don't need to be 2 parts. The first 2 part fight in SC was Hol Horse and J. Geil, and that's because those had serious story moments and plot developments occur in them. Alessi and Mariah are about as significant as Strength or Devil, both of which were a single episode fight.

The Mariah fight was hilarious - there was no way they were fitting that all in one episode without cutting shit. Sure it doesn't have the pacing of an adaptation like FMA Brotherhood (once we get past the stuff the first anime already covered) but for the most part the pacing has been fine. I can't really complain we you compare it to most other shonen like Naruto, Bleach, One Piece.

JayEH

Bad episode. Episodes like this make me not want them to be faithful to the manga. I forgot how creepy Alessi was, gotdamn.

And I guess we were due for some fan service eventually, that scene was really unnecessarily extended.

Dio can't come soon enough.

Yeah, even in the manga the Alessi fight is the dark spot on the otherwise great Egypt half of SC. The fanservice, the gags aren't as strong as the end of Anubis or Bastet, it's one Polnareff focused bit too many so soon after Anubis, Set's powers don't lead to scenarios that are that imaginative or clever, etc.

Pretty much everything after this fight ends to the end of Part III is iconic JoJo's gold, which makes up for it, but still.

Jex

I don't think the pacing is that bad. I don't think it's that good, either. A really talented director and writer could certainly have cut down a number of the episodes this season (and last season, the Lovers, for example) while still retaining all the fights from the manga.

I understand that they have to serve many masters with this series - fans want to see the complete and unadulterated manga. The creator wants to see a faithful and loving adaptation. The production committee wants the show to run as long as it can to help boost sales of associated products such as the manga. But that doesn't excuse the shows obvious faults. Lets not forget they were happy to trim Phantom Blood to create a much tighter story where as they've allowed some bloat into Stardust Crusaders.

Squishy3

I'll talk more about what I think their plan was with splitting Alessi into two parts after the second part of it airs, since it requires me to talk about the second half of the fight. :p

Also why they added the scene with Jotaro and Polnareff visiting the hotel and Iggy stealing the kebab sandwich thing and looking at Joseph and Avdol fighting Mariah, neither of those bits were in the manga.

sjack

Banned
I don't think the pacing is that bad. I don't think it's that good, either. A really talented director and writer could certainly have cut down a number of the episodes this season (and last season, the Lovers, for example) while still retaining all the fights from the manga.

I understand that they have to serve many masters with this series - fans want to see the complete and unadulterated manga. The creator wants to see a faithful and loving adaptation. The production committee wants the show to run as long as it can to help boost sales of associated products such as the manga. But that doesn't excuse the shows obvious faults. Lets not forget they were happy to trim Phantom Blood to create a much tighter story where as they've allowed some bloat into Stardust Crusaders.

This pretty much sums up my exact feelings on the adaptation. I think the sudden resurgence in popularity of the series and the reverence that surrounds Stardust Crusaders for being the most iconic Part is causing DP to approach this through a highly purist point of view which is doing it more harm than good in certain parts of the show. I'd rather have it like this rather than the way the OVAs approached, but there are still elements left to be desired here.

Also why they added the scene with Jotaro and Polnareff visiting the hotel and Iggy stealing the kebab sandwich thing and looking at Joseph and Avdol fighting Mariah, neither of those bits were in the manga.

Padding, so they can justify this fight for being 2 episodes.

The issue is that, ok, with trimming it can be done in less than 24 episodes, but there is just no way it could be done in 12 without some major cutting. It's either big cuts or padding/slowish pace.

Honestly, as long as we don't reach HxH end of Chimera Ant arc pacing I'm fine with the padding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom