• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jontron has left Game Grumps

Considering the timing of this, with the 2 episodes per day formula stunted twice, and the fact that Jon and Arin filmed two different videos in that last one, I think they may have had a falling out.

I'm not totally convinced of that. It could be, but at worst, it seems they may make up like close friends do. When you see someone that often, you can get annoyed of them. Regardless, the show is probably better off ending at this point.

Takao

Banned
I'd say good, as I was a fan of Jontron's normal stuff but the huge hiatus between updates has kind of killed my interest.

Average Episode.

Arin: Mentions Game
Jon: Says how much he hates that game
Arin: Surprised by Jon's hatred states why he likes the game
Jon: Back pedals and says he likes the game.

In the end they're both pretty dense though. Quite a few conversations they've had make me wonder if they even went to school.

Hey now, you're ignoring the other episode types.

Jon: Mentions Game, says it's his favorite game of all time
Arin: Says how much he hates that game
Jon: Surprised by Arin's hatred and says he likes the game because he likes it
Arin: Says he doesn't like it because of bad game feel
Jon: Backpedals and says he hates the game

LiK

Game Grumps sucked anyway. I tried watching several games they played but it's unbearable. Commentary is unfunny and all over the place. I like their other videos on their own channels better.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Average Episode.

In the end they're both pretty dense though. Quite a few conversations they've had make me wonder if they even went to school.

I seriously remember the episode where the two of them together could not figure out why the Civil War occurred.

And no, it wasn't them arguing about whether it was about slavery or states rights. They legitimately could not figure out any of the probable reasons for it happening.

I'm actually glad that he's going to be releasing standalone videos more often now. I stopped watching GG regularly a long while ago, but I still go back to Stairfax Temperatures and Monster Party whenever I feel down :)

Ego dropped out of high school and Jon is a musical theatre major.

So yeah, I guess you could say neither of them got a conventional education.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Good, so now we can have a new episode of sequelitis?

Average Episode.

Well, Arin did drop out of high school. He went back to get his GED though.

Tripon

So they are pulling a Poochie?

poochie_simpsons.gif

Needless to say, I can't see that working out. Game Grumps IS Egoraptor and Jontron playing games. You can't just replace one of them without the series losing a lot of its appeal.

I'm respecting Jontron for the decision, though. I can't imagine how much money GameGrumps made he'll now no longer receive. You've got to truly love what you do to make such a decision.

Quick and dirty youtube rule is that 1000 views = 1 dollar. So they made good money for relatively (to JonTron's review videos and Awesome videos/Sequealistis) little work.

Ferrio

Banned
Seriously I just watch the show for Barry mostly. Every so often those two can do something that's funny, but Barry is always on point.

I seriously remember the episode where the two of them together could not figure out why the Civil War occurred.

And no, it wasn't them arguing about whether it was about slavery or states rights. They legitimately could not figure out any of the probable reasons for it happening.
What? Wow. I don't want to believe they could both be that ignorant. Why even bring up a topic you don't know much about? It sets you up for failure every time.

ChaoticPotion

Neo Member
The magic is gone. Just watched the new dudes episode and hated it.
Guess I'm done with that Channel, but I look forward to several frequent videos from Jon on his Main Channel.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
I'm kind of excited about this, actually. But it is saddening to see JonTron go, even though he did have a lot of INCREDIBLY annoying traits.

I wonder if him smashing Ego's copy of Drill Dozer was the final straw...

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Glad to see JonTron is going back to making his own stuff, hopefully this means Egoraptor will do more stuff like Sequalitis again. I should be more upset by this, considering I like the two, but I couldn't get into Game Grumps.

Maybe Egoraptor can finally make some insightful commentary about the games he plays now without Jon to interrupt him with annoying yelling anymore.

Yes. Now we can here more talk about how all games with narratives are bad (paraphrased of course, and this was one of the few times Jon actually stood his ground against Ego); hear him complain some more about modern games because "the player should figure everything out for himself" (even though numerous videos show him complaining "what am I supposed to do?"); and generally argue that we should just plain go back to 90's game design.

I like the guy. He's pretty funny. But when it comes down to it: Unless he has a bunch of prep time like for Sequelitis, he says some of the face palm worthy stuff.

Moaradin

This came out of nowhere. It ain't Game Grumps without JonTron.

I guess it's good he'll go back to his normal stuff.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Ultimately he killed GameGrumps by being the most uninformed idiot possible that I couldn't bare to tune in anymore.

Rather than focussing on JonTron he should just... go away and take a year out to just research and read up on the shit he would like to talk about in the future.

Also, Egoraptors own work suffered massively and his sense of humour took a massive nosedive to the same JonTron irreverence I find falls totally flat. At some points its also felt like Egoraptor himself was becoming stupider simply by being close to Jon.

Wonder if they really did have a falling out.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
What? Wow. I don't want to believe they could both be that ignorant. Why even bring up a topic you don't know much about? It sets you up for failure every time.

I don't ask that everyone know everything about everything, but seeing as they're both Americans, I'd hope they'd both know about one of the most pivotal events in US history, and one that changed the social landscape of the country forever.

I, btw, didn't know Arin dropped out of high school. That's really sad, though it's good that he went back and got his GED.

Folstern

Hey now, you're ignoring the other episode types.

Jon: Mentions Game, says it's his favorite game of all time
Arin: Says how much he hates that game
Jon: Surprised by Arin's hatred and says he likes the game because he likes it
Arin: Says he doesn't like it because of bad game feel
Jon: Backpedals and says he hates the game
antoniolaugh_zpsbdae24f5.gif

While they had their funny moments, they are both much better on their own. Less screeching and defending Backstreet Boys; more funny insights and commentary. I admire Jon for wanting to do more too. He could have milked Game Grumps for another year.

JoeInky

Finally, Game Grumps became terrible pretty damn quickly, it's a shame they just didn't dissolve it completely.

Ego and Jontron cannot do improvisational comedy at all, they're much better when they're scripted.

Maybe if GG was post-commentary it might not have been so terrible, still surprised we haven't seen an RP of it yet, given how bad it is.

I'll just echo what other people are saying in that I have no idea how this isn't gonna destroy Game Grumps, but who knows maybe this new guy will make the whole thing dramatically better. Guess we will just have to wait and see.

GolazoDan

Yes. Now we can here more talk about how all games with narratives are bad (paraphrased of course, and this was one of the few times Jon actually stood his ground against Ego); hear him complain some more about modern games because "the player should figure everything out for himself" (even though numerous videos show him complaining "what am I supposed to do?"); and generally argue that we should just plain go back to 90's game design.

I like the guy. He's pretty funny. But when it comes down to it: Unless he has a bunch of prep time like for Sequelitis, he says some of the face palm worthy stuff.
This. I don't mind it when Arin does that though just because Jon's a funny counterbalance. It's a nice chalk and cheese dynamic. Enough of this serious game discussion, let's sing some Cyndi Lauper.

Seriously though, Jon's a funny mahfucka, hyped for whatever he does in the future.

KDC720

Kind of good news I guess.

Game Grumps has been hit or miss for awhile now with the two of them just falling back into the same routine over and over again.

Honestly Ego should just let game grumps die and the both of them can go back to producing far more quality content on their respective channels. Besides, there are far better LP channels out there anyway.

GFEric

Banned
I don't see how anyone could care about their individual videos anymore after watching Game Grumps. How can you take their "lets be pretend game critics" videos (which is what they wish they were) seriously when they both proved over and over again they don't really know much about games or design, and they are pretty terrible at actually playing games. And I really couldn't care less about Jon's videos in particular because his opinion is instantly swayed the second anyone disagrees with him.

With that said, I like Game Grumps. They worked well together, and when they were just being goofy and entertaining it was great. Hopefully the new guy works just as well with Arin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sdkdQGQxgw And here's the first episode with new guy. After like 4 minutes he feels way too Arin to be a good counterpart to Arin. Probably won't watch more of it, Jontron's got way more personality.

Yeah, I got 3 minutes in then unsubscribed. I've watched all the older episodes back to front, so there's nothing keeping me around now.

Game Grumps is dead. They should have just let it go. The fact that Ego is persisting with it, suggests he has given up on his primary channel altogether. He probably didn't take the criticism of Pokeawesome 2 that well.

muzzymate

Sad to hear; love Game Grumps. The chemistry between the two was amazing.

Looking forward to what he can do focusing in on his own channel.

Ultimately he killed GameGrumps by being the most uninformed idiot possible that I couldn't bare to tune in anymore.

Rather than focussing on JonTron he should just... go away and take a year out to just research and read up on the shit he would like to talk about in the future.

Also, Egoraptors own work suffered massively and his sense of humour took a massive nosedive to the same JonTron irreverence I find falls totally flat. At some points its also felt like Egoraptor himself was becoming stupider simply by being close to Jon.

Wonder if they really did have a falling out.

For someone preaching about them being uninformed, you're pretty uninformed yourself.

That Dan guy is actually pretty good, I think him and Ego work well together. Jon's comedy always works better when he...thinks things through so to speak. I mean, I think he's insanely talented, but improv really wasn't his thing to be honest although he did have his moments of glory.

Also, check out the dudes Youtube page he has some pretty funny shit in there.

Top Bottom