• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JonTron (youtuber) speaks against demographic "invasion" of America by nonwhites

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick_C

But that image floating around of Jon in the Nazi costume is from one of the Star Wars episodes he did, if my memory isn't failing me.

Does anyone know what video this is in? I'm going back to look for it, and also see who else was a part of that particular episode. I know Jesse Cox was a part of it, but Maker is so far-reaching that they have everyone from Jim Sterling to Angry Joe to Total Biscuit and Dodger.

What the fuck is this shit. Seriously. Who cares if it's poorly argued by his side. Even if he had time to prepare he's coming from a racist position. The only thing he could prepare for is to get more taking points that try to hide his racism better, something David Duke or Richard Spencer would do. Fuck this post, awful way to wake up and have to read this shit.
Yeah, poorly argued racism is still racism

Garuroh

And I will always love the Disney classics, regardless of Walt Disney being a Nazi

umm what? Walt was definitively not a Nazi. Thinking everyone that has antisemitic views is a Nazi is dangerous because you are saying nobody but nazis can be antisemite which is not true at all lol

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
Racism is the Chinese finger trap of social justice

The only way to win is to stop fighting

or something

Jontron is nothing more than a laughing stock at most. Nothing he says will change anything, so it's not worth taking seriously.

Yet here you are, burning up that keyboard with long-form posts

7ce711af-6001-492e-a355-b91b598119ee.jpeg

Majine

Banned
We have those in Europe too!

Check out this guy:
blackhitler060317.jpg

He's a member of a far-right, anti-immigration party (True Finns) in Finland, he's running for municipal elections and he's already been dubbed "The Black Hitler". (I'm not joking).

Huh, I wonder why.

MrBadger

What the fuck is this shit. Seriously. Who cares if it's poorly argued by his side. Even if he had time to prepare he's coming from a racist position. The only thing he could prepare for is to get more taking points that try to hide his racism better, something David Duke or Richard Spencer would do. Fuck this post, awful way to wake up and have to read this shit.

One side may view other humans as lesser due to their skin colour, but the other side thinks you're a shitty person for holding those views. Obviously both sides are as bad as each other, the left just can't handle different opinions.

CalmHitler.jpg is going to get a lot of use over the next few years.

WOW at some of the responses here.

If only we had just ignored Auschwitz, it would have magically disappeared! Why did the mean old US army have to fight against the Nazis, or even acknowledge them for that matter!

None of my coworkers have even heard of JonTron. We should just ignore all of this.

Valid point, but none of mine heard of Breibart until recently, and more than a few (UK here) knew nothing of Trump until the GOP primaries. Ignoring them doesn't help highlight their bigotry, no matter how high or low they are in terms of public awareness.

Nerolex

Neo Member
Jontron just had a stream with a guy who was willing to have a discussion with him, and all that did was make him laugh awkwardly and deny everything that was shown to be directly against what was told to him because he couldn't believe it and needed to research it himself. Sitting down to talk with anybody who is deeply in their camp won't do shit, they aren't willing to budge either.

Undoubtedly many of them share Jon's views, but are too scared to admit it on GAF.

This is a fallacy. This is the same logic rightwing people use: "He is liberal and pro immigration. Therefore he has to support crime or even rape by immigrants".

It is okay that you and many others here have a differing opinion on how to handle the racism problem. But it is -not- okay to suggest that people have a different opinion surely have to be racist. TB has the opinion that a private talk will do more good than public shaming. Surely he is a racist then? Also, can we stop ad hominem? I thought we were here to share and discuss ideas, not people.

You know with all these ideas of "defending western civilization", so few stop think that if it needs defending, maybe it wasn't a great as they think it is.

I mean if White Nationals are so "superior", why are they so insecure?

I only ever hear fear, not strength, from these people.

They live in constant fear of Native Americans and black people exposing their lies on western civilization.
None of my coworkers have even heard of JonTron. We should just ignore all of this.
Jon is a part of the gaming community whether we want to admit it or not. We can't allow his toxic trash to fester in this community that is already toxic enough.

Edit: Maybe add the /s if it was suppose to be sarcasm. It's getting pretty hard to spot sarcasm in this serious discussion.

Gestault

I feel like people are confusing "poorly argued" with "abhorent ideas clearly outlined, with multiple layers rationalizing support of that original idea."

Saying "poorly argued" leaves room to imply the message just got garbled, or that there was an idea of merit that was mischaracterized. That's not what this was. This was more than an hour of discussion to clarify and illustrate the concerns he brought up in an earlier social media post.

This represents a basically point-by-point paraphrasing of Jontron's points:

The racial and ethnic superiority of whites is in danger from legal immigration. Even if immigrants could perfectly integrate into American culture, non-whites would still work their way into the gene pool, which is troubling. Prejudice has been solved, and our problems stem from violent blacks and other non-whites threatening society. Blacks are inherently, genetically criminal in nature, as evidenced by crime rates in the US corrolated with those in Africa. Even wealthy blacks commit more crimes than poor whites, demonstrating that economic and environmental factors can't explain how violent the blacks are, other than their race. People who conclude that ethnic and racial discrimination effect our lives to a meaningful degree are living in a fantasy world. Why is it that only white countries have to deal with the lie of racial equality poisoning our immigration system by allowing too many non-whites in? Laws should be changed to protect white social dominence, because the country will be harmed if enough non-whites vote in their own interests.

This is not an exagerration.

Armaros

This is a fallacy. This is the same logic rightwing people use: "He is liberal and pro immigration. Therefore he has to support crime or even rape by immigrants".

It is okay that you and many others here have a differing opinion on how to handle the racism problem. But it is -not- okay to suggest that people have a different opinion surely have to be racist. TB has the opinion that a private talk will do more good than public shaming. Surely he is a racist then? Also, can we stop ad hominem? I thought we were here to share and discuss ideas, not people.

TB spent more time attacking a third party messenger then actually addressing JonTrons views.

He even spent time saying "Why should we care since JonTron is just a youtuber?"

or just calling Jontron "mi-informed"

As if his hour long verbal diarrhea of racist and vile beliefs are not his own fault.

Aside from a few buttheads on the internet how many people will take his words to heart?
YouTubers like JonTron and PewDiePie are extremely popular among impressionable young kids. Allowing people like this to have hateful platforms completely unchecked is not a good thing. I don't know how anyone can look at this and just say, "Oh, he's just being wacky JonTron again!" It's far from innocuous.

R0ckman

At risk of sounding like I'm playing devils advocate, it's hard to rationalize Jon being a white supremacist when he himself is not white by any stretch.

What is "white" though? It you open a Webster dictionary from the 1800s a Caucasian is a black person with slightly different phenotypes than an African and "whites" are "Europeans" and "Artic" men.

People are not assuming JonTron is racist because he has a different opinion. They are saying he is racist because we listened to 80 munutes of him spewing racism. He implied he didnt want to dilute the white gene pool. You fucking serious brah?

And total biscuit can shut up. The debate wasn't about changing JonTron's mind, it was about seeing who could actually support a position.

He spent all this time bashing a media source opposed to addressing the actual topic because he doesn't want that to be the discussion. If that isn't racism (it isnt for reference) it's certainly downplaying it.

Hyperbole but Disney didn't sympathise with the jews during the war and his earlier movies had various problematic portrayals of minorities.

It wasn't to the point where he didn't employ jewish people, but at the same time he had no issue being bed fellows with well known anti-semites at the time.

So you're baiting and not sure what a Nazi is? Yeah, you can troll somewhere else.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I didn't think that actually needed an /s at the end. Haha.
I got the sarcasm as soon as I read your post, but it's easy to see how someone could take it literally, because sadly it isn't such a rare opinion nowadays.

I was going to reply "None of my coworkers are even American, so you guys should stop worrying about this!" to take your sarcasm to an even more absurd level, but you've been misunderstood many times already, so it wouldn't have been relevant anymore.

Cloukyo

Banned
I feel like people are confusing "poorly argued" with "abhorent ideas clearly outlined, with multiple layers are rationalizing support of that original idea."

Saying "poorly argued" leaves room to imply the message just got garbled, or that there was an idea of merit that was mischaracterized. That's not what this was. This was more than an hour of discussion to clarify and illustrate the concerns he brought up in an earlier social media post.

Seriously?

: / I gotta admit I've been shying away from hearing exactly what he had to say (due to the whole ignore a celebs political view thing I've been saying) but are you certain you're not being hyperbolic?

He's Iranian isn't he?

Gotta admit, that's pretty cray what he's saying.

Hm

I feel like people are confusing "poorly argued" with "abhorent ideas clearly outlined, with multiple layers are rationalizing support of that original idea."

That's a good summary of what he was trying to say. I like his implication that black people are predisposed towards crime and their social or economic status has no bearing on this; it's all genetic because black Africans commit crime too! He just sounds like an ignorant and impressionable moron with dangerous views and an incapability to explain these views other than suggesting white people are genetically superior.

Nerolex

Neo Member
People are not assuming JonTron is racist because he has a different opinion. They are saying he is racist because we listened to 80 munutes of him spewing racism. He implied he didnt want to dilute the white gene pool. You fucking serious brah?

And total biscuit can shut up. The debate wasn't about changing JonTron's mind, it was about seeing who could actually support a position.

He spent all this time bashing a media source opposed to addressing the actual topic because he doesn't want that to be the discussion. If that isn't racism (it isnt for reference) it's certainly downplaying it.

I did not refer to jon tron. It was about the quoted users suggesting that other users here have to be racist if they have a different opinion about handling racism.

Gestault

Seriously?

: / I gotta admit I've been shying away from hearing exactly what he had to say (due to the whole ignore a celebs political view thing I've been saying) but are you certain you're not being hyperbolic?

There's a matching statement for every element of that paragraph, and I didn't need to artificially "connect the dots" where there's reasoning between them. It was the original intent.

Respectfully, watch the video if you're going to spend your time policing other people's reactions to a situation. I know it's not short, which is part of the point.

Who?

I'm just saying to ignore it because celebrity points of view are laughable and shouldn't be taken seriously. I'm not defending his views at all.

From your last post it seems like you haven't even watched the video?! Maybe you should listen to what he has to say before trying to dismiss his comments...?

Nick_C

100% of everyone I know has never heard of /pol/ and I've never been there, only heard of it (is it a 4chan sub-board?).

I think you guys overestimate the reach of e-celebs. One guy I know at work watches Markiplier and thats it.

Jontron has 3 million subs out of god knows how many people in the real western world. And only a tiny percentage of that 3 million know or care about his external work. From that percentage only a tiny percentage will actually take his words to heart or be affected.

How many people do you really think have seen the streams he's been on and let it shape their world view in any way.

This is another case of a celeb (except a supremely minor celeb) making an ass of himself.

Who do you think made a bigger difference in the atheist movement of a few years back? The Amazing Atheist, or Richard Dawkins and Christopher Hitchens? It's people in the public eye that matter, professionals in their field who might be taken seriously like politicians and scientists.

Celebrities are nothing more than trained monkeys that dance in front of a camera trying to get our attention, and when they try to shove any of their political views in our face we just laugh.

Jontron is nothing more than a laughing stock at most. Nothing he says will change anything, so it's not worth taking seriously.

Well yeah.

I'm talking about Jontron. No politicians. I've already said it's a problem when people who actually matter spout racist nonsense.

Mad Max will always be an amazing film.

And I will always love the Disney classics, regardless of Walt Disney being a Nazi

1) Anecdotal evidence will always be far less valuable than actual, real-world evidence. I think you underestimate the reach of people like this. Your and your co-workers don't fall into the main demographic of their target audience.

2) Your argument of, "it's only 3 million people,' is incredibly ignorant. People like Jon are spreading a message of hate to their followers, many of which are impressionable young people, who will one day grow up believing that what they heard from the ones they follow are accurate world views to hold.

3) Is it not possible that people like The Amazing Atheist turned their audience onto Dawkins and Hitchens? Do you not think that The Amazing Atheist made content that was more palatable for a younger audience to understand?

4) Your disrespect for the positions held by those that spread this message is almost as dangerous as the spread of the hate itself. Complacency is a detriment to progress

Seriously?

He's Iranian isn't he?

Hm
So you didn't even watch the video or read a summary of what he said before you rushed in here to defend him? Not surprised in the least.

I did not refer to jon tron. It was about the quoted users suggesting that other users here have to be racist if they have a different opinion about handling racism.

Different opinion on handling racism is what? Use kid gloves while someone is proposing dark skin people don't dilute the gene people?

I won't call those people racist. But they are naive as fuck.

PMS341

Who?

I'm just saying to ignore it because celebrity points of view are laughable and shouldn't be taken seriously. I'm not defending his views at all.

In America, a celebrity (with very similar views) was just elected President. And not the first time, either.

Celebrity POVs are like many POVs, but the platform and outreach they have is far greater than you or I. Rhetoric like this is dangerous.

Seriously?

He's Iranian isn't he?

Hm

I'll keep this brief since a few are already responding to this quote, but if you didn't indulge the topic by at least following the subject matter (listening to the JT/Destiny discussion), nor do you believe in following e-drama, what was the point of commenting on here?

100% of everyone I know has never heard of /pol/ and I've never been there, only heard of it (is it a 4chan sub-board?).

I think you guys overestimate the reach of e-celebs. One guy I know at work watches Markiplier and thats it.

I dunno man, I see a lot of pol outside of the internet. Noteworthy that I live in Canada too,

Two people at my rather small workplace use pol and are constantly spouting insane racist stuff. A girl I know broke up with her bf because he was calling her a degenerate due to smoking weed or something. I asked if he if he watches Sargon/reads pol, She said yes to both. As well one of my "internet friends" over the last year went from leaning liberal to complete global elite, gene pool, women hate, caricature. I also blame that on pol and him being dumb and easily influenced.

Guys relax, JonTron is a racist but the only way to deal with racists is to calmly debate with them and share opinions. I believe that if both sides explain to each other why they believe their side is right we can all come to a mutual understanding. Calling him a racist or bigot won't change his views, and forming an angry mob will only make him more defensive and double down on his beliefs. Both sides need to calm down.

XD Am I doing it right guys? Jesus, I can't believe the "both sides" bullshit I am seeing in this thread. What happened to calling out racism for what it is and rejecting it? What is all this crap about trying to make them see things from our point of view? Racists like him are idiots and should never be given the benefit of the doubt. They are beyond being reasoned with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom