• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JonTron (youtuber) speaks against demographic "invasion" of America by nonwhites

Status
Not open for further replies.
Go read a fucking book on the history of America and why it was created in such a fucked up manner.

You have a dumb ass question lol

Edit: Been on GAF since 2015 with 9 total fuckin posts. You cowards and your alts man

Ha ha, seriously.

Also, it's incredibly ironic to call white Europeans the USA's "founding stock" and give no consideration to Native Americans.

Where I worked they have this thing called the "2 Minute Rule" meaning that your opponent is expected to make their point in 2 minutes or less, without being cut off, before you can state your opposition.

If anything Jon's going to doubledown on what he believes to be true because he didn't have the opportunity to express his points in a good way. He'll justify his loss of the debate as being shouted down at, instead of reflecting on the merit and truths of his beliefs.

Jon had plenty of time. Destiny was quiet and polite throughout and gave him many chances but Jon couldn't articulate himself. I have to commend Destiny for not resorting to insults and screaming.

Cloukyo

Banned
I think this article may be worth taking a look at. As well as the 2006 article from Fred Hiatt that's linked within.

How is this relevant?

It's common knowledge that there's a problem with birth rates in japan. Hell they even release anime that promote marriage in an effort to help it ("I don't know why my husband is saying" its funny).

I'm not saying it's good or bad, I'm just making a statement. Japan isn't very inviting to foreign culture, aside from some black people in Harajuku you won't find many people of other races around.

The common consensus in japan is that the emasculation of men in japan is what's causing the decline of marriage, an increase in NEET men is a real problem over there, and women are very shallow and usually look for rich and successful men to marry.

Can we get a running list of these scumbag youtube personalities? As a parent of a gaming-video addicted child I have been trying my best to keep up with events and monitor my kid's usage, but I am always expecting something to slip through the cracks.

Education's job is not to hide unwanted things, but to offer tools to deal with them consciously. Through exposition instead of evasion.

If anything, by hiding alone you're making your kid more exposed to that influence. As soon he's out of the house he's completely defenseless because he's been living in an aseptic environment.

I want to precede my question with the context that I'm not agreeing with Jon or anyone referenced to in the OP. It's a poor sight to see someone I used to enjoy watching deploy such horrid ideas but I have to ask:

Why exactly is idea of 'founding stock' idea wrong? Why is it wrong to 'protect' a culture from immigration from places that typically either don't agree or have 'contempt' for it? Is it the implication that only the 'founding' stock could produce a country like the USA? Is it the implication that immigrants either dilute or corrupt a culture like the USA? Am I leading the question by saying?

Generally, I understand this is a bad way to think and that we should be inclusive to those who want to come and also be inclusive. But I believe we should be protective against those who'd exclude for whatever reason.

I guess what I'm trying to figure out is: "Why do I think this is wrong?"

If anyone can help me out. PM me or something. just to keep the topic on track.

To answer your question simply: because this already happened. Europeans invaded the Americas, had open contempt for the natives living here, not only diluted but outright DESTROYED the culture existing here, installed their own government, religion, economic structure, and civilization aimed solely for their benefit and not the people they destroyed.

If you're that worked up about "cultural dilution by immigrants" you better be the biggest advocate for naive American rights if you want to be consistent. You wouldn't even ENTERTAIN the idea of applying that to the descendants of European conquerors.

Tagyhag

Bright Spark‏ @BSBrightSpark 5h5 hours ago
@JimSterling I know you're probably making fun of clickbait artists, & I don't agree with Jon's views, but can't we all just stop the drama?

SNF‏ @Superninfreak 4h4 hours ago
@BSBrightSpark @JimSterling "There are too many non-white people, we should do something about that"
"WTF?"
"Stop fighting you two!"

Hah so true.

I don't understand how to some people you should try to have a civil discussion with someone who wants to kill you.

I want to precede my question with the context that I'm not agreeing with Jon or anyone referenced to in the OP. It's a poor sight to see someone I used to enjoy watching deploy such horrid ideas but I have to ask:

Why exactly is idea of 'founding stock' idea wrong? Why is it wrong to 'protect' a culture from immigration from places that typically either don't agree or have 'contempt' for it? Is it the implication that only the 'founding' stock could produce a country like the USA? Is it the implication that immigrants either dilute or corrupt a culture like the USA? Am I leading the question by saying?

Generally, I understand this is a bad way to think and that we should be inclusive to those who want to come and also be inclusive. But I believe we should be protective against those who'd exclude for whatever reason.

You answered the question yourself. The idea of founding stock is inherently against the idea of immigration as it will eventually dilute that stock, regardless of how quickly those immigrants migrate

From the beginning of the European colonisation of America it has been a diverse nation, though the ruling class was white, so when you think founding stock you think white people. It's a racist idea built on the back of white supremacist ideals.

There is absolutely no reason to believe that an increase in immigration will lead to the destruction of "American culture", whatever the fuck that is. If Native American culture has survived to this point then American culture will be just fine, regardless of how many immigrants are allowed into the country

Protecting white culture, protecting founding stock, and white nationalism are all just forms of white supremacy that have been dressed up to be presentable in the public conversation. When you look past the window dressing it is little more than bottom of the barrel racism

Education's job is not to hide unwanted things, but to offer tools to deal with them consciously. Through exposition instead of evasion.

If anything, by hiding alone you're making your kid more exposed to that influence. As soon he's out of the house he's completely defenseless because he's been living in an aseptic environment.

Maybe you didn't read the part where I mentioned that we talk a lot, in an ongoing way, about what sort of attitudes and content are appropriate, and that he has, in my opinion, internalized strong values. Otherwise I agree with you.

Nerolex

Neo Member
Doesn't work and never will.
Only extreme measures are effective. Our ancestors fought a world wide war to stop this shit, and it looks like there will be another one due soon enough because of this "we need to engage with them" twaddle. [...] The only way to progress is to smash this ignorance.
I hope his life is permanently destroyed as a result of this.

I am shocked. That escalated quickly.

Nick_C

You think the intellectual arguments against racism haven't existed for literal centuries from abolitionists, freedom fighters, civil rights activists, writers and philosophers?

Racism is not just a byproduct of ignorance. It is a system and worldview built on an age-old conscious assumption of superiority, hence why people are "afraid of saying what they feel" and admire people who "tell it like it is." People know they're racist. They just don't like being shamed for it, hence why Jon didn't have the balls to be more open during those two hours of nonsense.

The age-old conscious assumption of superiority is born from ignorance. As a society, we are far better off than we were even 50 years ago because of the abolitionists, et al. We undoubtedly have a long way to go, but to say that there hasn't been significant change is false.

I'm also not trying to pesuade anyone that what I say is the unmitigated truth either. I see replies to my post with calls for extremism as a bit to far. Not because I'm a coward, or a keyboard warrior, but because I see it as fuel for the argument that us, and people like us, are dangerous and should be dealt with accordingly. All the more reason to disregard what we have to say.

Why exactly is idea of 'founding stock' idea wrong? Why is it wrong to 'protect' a culture from immigration from places that typically either don't agree or have 'contempt' for it? Is it the implication that only the 'founding' stock could produce a country like the USA? Is it the implication that immigrants either dilute or corrupt a culture like the USA?
"I don't agree with JonTron, but actually I agree with JonTron."

Mael

I didn't say that. I was referring to japan specifically because I lived there for a year.

East and South Asia have a much stronger cultural identity than a country like America, which is relatively new. It's obscenely stupid of Jontron or anyone to talk about "diluting" the country when it's so new anyway.

It's false equivalence, the rules apply differently to different countries. He's right that other countries are more insular, but that's because of their rich and hard to penetrate culture that has been cultivated for centuries.

They're hard to penetrate because the language is so foreign to begin.
Ask someone from Japan to try to penetrate the Spanish culture without a understanding a word of the language to begin with.
And Japan is spreading its culture pretty fine as well, we're not in 1920 anymore we do know a lot more about current Japanese culture than our forefathers.
And the part we don't is rather similar to how people in the US don't know about Danish culture really.
US culture is imperialist and it's doing a fine job "invading" most other cultures.
Heck in the middle east, radical religious movements are in part a response to US cultural norm invading what they see as their space.
And if we're talking about Europe, I can tell you the USA is currently the biggest most formidable threat to French culture at the moment.

Theres nothing wrong with banning illiberal groups of people from immigrating to your country, in fact (though he muddies his own argument) the most dominant thinker on multiculturalism, Kymlicka, makes the case against allowing illiberal groups to immigrate (multicultural citizenship). Theres also a piece I cant remember by who called "is multiculturalism bad for women" which takes a liberal feminist perspective and looks at the private sphere of illiberal groups (in this case was about polygamous muslims) and how women are treated. NEITHER of these bring race into it as the colour of the skin has nothing to do with what ideology or religious sect someone is a part of.

Its a case by case basis onto whether you find the immigration of a particular group useful to your state. Canada accepts people from all around the world, but we also have extremely tough immigration policies. We take in those who benefit our nation, and those people come from all over. Nations and national minorities and ethnicities are not monoliths.

Dude lives in his own bubble, most of these Youtube/Twitter political commentators are incredibly naive and out of their depth when exploring complex racial, economic, political issues. You get people living in their own echo chambers - their own bubbles - amongst the bigger of these social media accounts, and the results are thousands of misguided people like JonTron who otherwise weren't involved in politics even a year or two ago.

He needs sit down and read well-referenced academics books on these subjects, instead of digesting Breitbart crap.

RisenLP

Neo Member
To answer your question simply: because this already happened. Europeans invaded the Americas, had open contempt for the natives living here, not only diluted but outright DESTROYED the culture existing here, installed their own government, religion, economic structure, and civilization aimed solely for their benefit and not the people they destroyed.

If you're that worked up about "cultural dilution by immigrants" you better be the biggest advocate for naive American rights if you want to be consistent. You wouldn't even ENTERTAIN the idea of applying that to the descendants of European conquerors.

That really doesn't answer why the line of thinking we're criticizing is wrong though? That only shows there's precedent for what Jontron and his ilk fear?

Just to reiterate, I'm not agreeing or trying to play devil's advocate. I'm just kinda confused.

"I don't agree with JonTron, but actually I agree with JonTron."

Please don't mistake my questions for agreeing with him. I really am just trying to understand why this is wrong.

...Its a case by case basis onto whether you find the immigration of a particular group useful to your state...

You're basically saying, nuance is important. Which I tend to agree on with anything relating to all peoples. So essentially, as an answer: "This line of thinking is wrong because we risk falling into the trap of believing some people are inherently better than others. It doesn't matter where they're from so long as they espouse shared inclusive values and want a reduction of suffering in all peoples".

Which when I type it out seems like an obvious answer, I just needed a nudge to figure it out. Thanks guys.

Quick question: if it turned out JonTron was a child molester would you continue to watch his videos? Would you feel comfortable whilst you did? I mean it shouldn't be an issue, right? It's important to 'separate the art from the artist' after all...

You should always try
"You should try and have a rational debate with someone who literally wants you dead just for existing"

Good one!

The indigent population of the Americas was literally polluted by killer germs leaping off of immigrating explorers that wiped out like 95% of their civilization while the remaining few were then either slaughtered, assimilated, or herded onto smaller and smaller "sovereign" tracts of land as an amalgamation of European immigrants built an empire on the backs of African slaves and expanded their "destiny" from coast to coast for more than a century. Then another wave of immigrants from other parts of Europe "polluted" the country for another 150 years.

The idea that there is any kind of purebred "founding stock" in the United States today or ever is laughable.

That really doesn't answer why the line of thinking we're criticizing is wrong though? That only shows there's precedent for what Jontron and his ilk fear?

Just to reiterate, I'm not agreeing or trying to play devil's advocate. I'm just kinda confused.

It's not "precedent", it's logically inconsistent. Their argument is broken on a fundamental level since the true founders of the country were the native Americans, not the European invaders.

To answer that notion directly, the US is specifically positioned as a nation of immigrants, its identity one of a melting pot of various languages, origins, religions, and backgrounds. The US has no "default" culture, one can't "dilute it" by adding to that diversity.

wait jontron is now being a racist because hes stubborn? if only the message was offered in a way he could understand, pipi the cock frog memeing about fact that not all mexicans are criminals, he would be more willing to accept hes wrong.

god help us.

Wow. Just ended up watching that whole discussion on Destiny's channel. It's so crazy to see people out themselves in this way. I take comfort in the fact that I was already avoiding all these youtubers because they seemed awful prior to revealing their disgusting views. Hard not to feel discourage by such hatred coming out into the open though. Got a long road ahead of us. Doesn't seem like they'll recede back into the shadows without putting up a fight and kicking and screaming the whole way.

Also, never really heard of Destiny. Dude seems extremely smart and well-spoken. Made a fan out of me.

Nick_C

How is this relevant?

It's common knowledge that there's a problem with birth rates in japan. Hell they even release anime that promote marriage in an effort to help it ("I don't know why my husband is saying" its funny).

I'm not saying it's good or bad, I'm just making a statement. Japan isn't very inviting to foreign culture, aside from some black people in Harajuku you won't find many people of other races around.

The common consensus in japan is that the emasculation of men in japan is what's causing the decline of marriage, an increase in NEET men is a real problem over there, and women are very shallow and usually look for rich and successful men to marry.

Did you read both articles and actually reflect on the subject matter? Or is this another case of forming an opinion on a rudamentry knowledge. The point is that Japan can not be used as a standard for other countries to strive for when, through racism and a distrust of immigrants, they are losing more people than they are gaining every year.

Please don't mistake my questions for agreeing with him. I really am just trying to understand why this is wrong.

The construct of America was destroy the current culture (aka the Native Americans), bring in immigrants from all over the planet and use black people as slaves to build up large wealth. What part of that history suggests that whiteness is America?

How is the basis of the formation of America based in founding fathers. It's none sense. You can't preserve whiteness on the basis of white people conquered when they also then flooded the land with more immigration and slavery of other peoples.

Apathy

Hah so true.

I don't understand how to some people you should try to have a civil discussion with someone who wants to kill you.

and that guy gets worse. WTF. the hell is wrong with people. Stop trying to normalize racism, stop trying to coddle racists or say "they didnt articulate what they wanted to say right", it's still racism no matter how people want to cut it.

Yo this level of getting angry at apologists can't possibly be good for my health

Edit: look at these morons that reply to Jim,

sJXOb8F.jpg

Cloukyo

Banned
They're hard to penetrate because the language is so foreign to begin.
Ask someone from Japan to try to penetrate the Spanish culture without a understanding a word of the language to begin with.
And Japan is spreading its culture pretty fine as well, we're not in 1920 anymore we do know a lot more about current Japanese culture than our forefathers.
And the part we don't is rather similar to how people in the US don't know about Danish culture really.
US culture is imperialist and it's doing a fine job "invading" most other cultures.
Heck in the middle east, radical religious movements are in part a response to US cultural norm invading what they see as their space.
And if we're talking about Europe, I can tell you the USA is currently the biggest most formidable threat to French culture at the moment.

Ok? I'm not talking about Japan spreading their culture, I'm saying that other cultures haven't penetrated japan that much, and people from other cultures definitely haven't

What are you trying to say? In the end if you walk around japan you'll have to look really hard to find something that isn't uniquely "Japanese", even if it's something american created, its usually something the japanese have taken and put their own twist on. America is the most inviting and complacent country in the world (I mean... that might change now that Trump is around D : ), and to a degree I do respect that. Could do with a bit of a better vetting process when it comes to allowing certain individuals in, but cutting out entire cultures is ridiculous.

Btw in the middle east I wouldn't call US soldiers setting foot on foreign land a "cultural norm invading".

SerTapTap

I sent Jim some thanks for not defending Jon, I think he (and anyone else standing against it in any way) could use it so they see the morons going "OPINIONS!!!!" aren't the only people out there.

Ha ha, seriously.

Also, it's incredibly ironic to call white Europeans the USA's "founding stock" and give no consideration to Native Americans.

How are people not getting how creepy "founding stock" is to begin with? They're not fucking racehorse breeding stock. And even if they were, 'well bred' animals always have all sorts of health problems due to the inbreeding and selective pressure focused all on something humans find amusing instead of...living.

And what's with this "contempt" shit? They can't hate America that fuckin' much if they're moving here. They don't just have a Scary Brown People Service where they give free plane tickets, jobs and housing to Scary Brown People because 'well fuck america, right'? This is a huge, life-changing process that is neither easy, free, nor quick.

You should always try

I mean, why? They aren't. They're also, you know, basically the closest thing to real evil in the world, depending on exactly how racist they are. These are people who think another person's life is an active mistake because of their skin color, country of origin or genetic makeup. That's a few steps beyond "bad opinion"

You should always try
Black-Man-Stark-Trek-Facepalm-Gif.gif

I doubt you've ever had anyone threaten your life in a real manner before. I've had a gun pulled to my head in real life, and trust me, the last thing going through your head is how you can have a calm reasonable debate with the person threatening to kill you.

Cloukyo

Banned
Have you ever been confronted by someone, who hates you for the very fact you exist?

How did you respond?

In real life?

If it's someone I need to get along with I'll try and be the first to talk, just to get the hassle out of the way. If it's someone I don't care about and don't need to be around I'll just ignore them, I don't need their appreciation anyway.

To the people spouting hyperbolic statements like "WHAT IF THEY CAME IN TO YOUR HOUSE WITH A KNIFE AND TRIED TO STAB YOU".

That's not the same thing and you know it. I'm talking about words, John said some dumb things, he didn't actually stab or hit someone. He's not in your house, you can easily close the browser window.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
In real life?

If it's someone I need to get along with I'll try and be the first to talk, just to get the hassle out of the way. If it's someone I don't care about I'll just ignore them, I don't need their appreciation anyway.

To the people spouting hyperbolic statements like "WHAT IF THEY CAME IN TO YOUR HOUSE WITH A KNIFE AND TRIED TO STAB YOU".

That's not the same thing and you know it. I'm talking about words, John said some dumb things, he didn't actually stab or hit someone.

I don't think you really understand the things he is saying. You might want to really take a good look at his statements because I'm not sure you really understand what it is he's saying about other human beings and their rights

Alucrid

Banned
and that guy gets worse. WTF. the hell is wrong with people. Stop trying to normalize racism, stop trying to coddle racists or say "they didnt articulate what they wanted to say right", it's still racism no matter how people want to cut it.

Yo this level of getting angry at apologists can't possibly be good for my health

Edit: look at these morons that reply to Jim,

sJXOb8F.jpg

if 2 hours of nonsensical and incoherent racist rambling is just a fraction of who he really is i don't think the remaining part is going to look all that pretty

In real life?

If it's someone I need to get along with I'll try and be the first to talk, just to get the hassle out of the way. If it's someone I don't care about and don't need to be around I'll just ignore them, I don't need their appreciation anyway.

That's not the same thing and you know it. I'm talking about words, John said some dumb things, he didn't actually stab or hit someone.

Jontron said incredibly racist, ignorant shit. And to most everyone else in the world, that is just as bad, if not worse, then stabbing or hitting someone.

Stop with this horseshit analogy game.

RisenLP

Neo Member
...It's not "precedent", it's logically inconsistent...

...The idea that there is any kind of purebred "founding stock" in the United States today or ever is laughable.

...You can't preserve whiteness on the basis of white people conquered when they also then flooded the land with more immigration and slavery of other peoples...

Thank you for the answers. You cleared up my confusion quickly. It points out even further how odd (read: stupid) this kind of language is coming from a man with heritage like Jon.

You have a dumb ass question lol Edit: Been on GAF since 2015 with 9 total fuckin posts. You cowards and your alts man

Thanks for that. I never claimed to be a smart person. I already knew the premise of what these people was saying was wrong, I just needed clarifying as to why it was wrong as I don't feel right holding a stance on something without understanding -why- I hold that stance. But it's fine, I got the answers I needed.

Also, not an alt account. I legit just don't post unless I feel I have something to contribute.. which clearly isn't very often.

NotLiquid

Jirard (one of Jon's more longstanding former friends and another NormalBoots member) posted this just now. He doesn't reference this incident directly and it's somewhat non-committal/clear he doesn't boil this issue up but he seems to make it clear he definitely has a much different worldview than Jon does.

Nepenthe

The age-old conscious assumption of superiority is born from ignorance. As a society, we are far better off than we were even 50 years ago because of the abolitionists, et al. We undoubtedly have a long way to go, but to say that there hasn't been significant change is false.

I'm also not trying to pesuade anyone that what I say is the unmitigated truth either. I see replies to my post with calls for extremism as a bit to far. Not because I'm a coward, or a keyboard warrior, but because I see it as fuel for the argument that us, and people like us, are dangerous and should be dealt with accordingly. All the more reason to disregard what we have to say.

Conscious ignorance is still conscious. Acting as if people are just genuinely mistaken and simply need a helping hand to guide them into enlightenment is wishful thinking, because we've been doing that for well over 400 years and here we are discussing a very specific shitheel who believes in many of those same things all those centuries ago. Progress has been made, but it's been made primarily through bloodshed, social and economic ostracization, emotional appeals, and ramming legislation through even when the majority of the country was against it or apathetic to it, not with steadied arguments between logical individuals. Societies are reactive and thus more or less have to be dragged into the future kicking and screaming.

Cloukyo

Banned
Jontron said incredibly racist, ignorant shit. And to most everyone else in the world, that is just as bad, if not worse, then stabbing or hitting someone.

Stop with this horseshit analogy game.

You need to calm down.

I'm not the one using analogies, they are.

If someone says something hateful, there's nothing wrong with trying to start a discourse and trying to educate them, or at least to try first. That's completely different from someone actively trying to kill you like some people are saying.

Am I missing something? Do you guys seriously think he's going to kill someone?

Ghandi must be rolling in his grave.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom