• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jordan Peterson tries to debunk "white privilege"

Alfadawg

Banned
As usual, he completely misses the point and rambles for ages, never getting to the point.

Ironically, he doesn't realise that he would get very little support if he were not white, middle class and male.

Make sure you enable adblock!

Mod Edit:
This thread is not about potential IQ variances of the different peoples of the world. That subject is tangentially relevant to this thread AT BEST and has been discussed far more than is warranted already. As such, further posts on this topic in this thread will result in a thread ban and a warning.

Last edited by a moderator:

Papa

Banned
Riddle me this: why do identity politicians focus on privilege rather than disadvantage?

Moneal

Riddle me this: why do identity politicians focus on privilege rather than disadvantage?
Neither one wants equality. Identity politics are about bringing down the man, or destroy the status quo, no matter the side of the isle. Each side just has a different idea of who the man is. The right identitarian says the jew is the man. The left identitarian says the white male is the man.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
As usual, he completely misses the point and rambles for ages, never getting to the point.

Did we even watch the same video?

Make sure you enable adblock!

I mean... lol...

Because privilege you can blame solely on someone else while disadvantage has certain aspects of personal accountability attached to it.

Neither one wants equality. Identity politics are about bringing down the man, or destroy the status quo, no matter the side of the isle. Each side just has a different idea of who the man is. The right identitarian says the jew is the man. The left identitarian says the white male is the man.

Excluding the far end of both sides, the left has more issue with the jews than the right does.

Last edited:

Gander

Banned

Hmm there is so much wrong here. This statement really needs to answered with a history lesson. I'm not trying to be snarky it's just true. If you know how most the world acquired their wealth you wouldn't have said that.

Papa

Banned
Hmm there is so much wrong here. This statement really needs to answered with a history lesson. I'm not trying to be snarky it's just true. If you know how most the world acquired their wealth you wouldn't have said that.

Go on and give us the history lesson then, oh wise one.

kingbean

I'm pretty sure it's Yor: Hunter from the future who is the true man.

On a serious note though, I've got a few friends that tell me this JP fellow has a decent head on his shoulders. I'll check it out when I get off work.

By having oil underneath their barren desert lands that they can sell to hand out money, like soma from Brave New World, to oppress their countries?

Last edited:

Mahadev

The speech wasn't that good but "white privilege" is a fucking joke. As per usual the post-modernist idiots created a term that not only is aggressive, confusing and hostile but makes no fucking sense given what they pretend are their goals.

They pretend to want equality but instead of talking about black disadvantage they obsess over "white privilege" as if the problem is people not getting screwed by society. As if instead of trying to improve the life of a group they want to worsen the life of another one. As if the normal shouldn't be the standard of life white people have.

And look at the word these imbeciles chose: Privilege. Go accuse a dirt poor white farmer of privilege and then see how he'll react. Not only their authoritarian tactics are obnoxious but also their vocabulary, accusing poor people of privilege is fucking disgusting imo. And they expect to be taken seriously by working class people... sure keep waiting, the only ones that adopt this bullshit are usually upper class college kids who can't admit their parents money is the real privilege in society. And yes, I used the word correctly for once in this thread.

Last edited:

Alfadawg

Banned
A dirt poor white farmer will always have more privilege than a dirt poor black farmer. Do you see?

It's easy for you to dismiss it, being the default.

Another low effort topic that's destined to rile up people without providing anything of substance. Like how about putting in some effort and explain why you think he "missed the point" so that people can have a decent discussion? Seems to me like he's spot on and not only shattered but completely obliterated this hateful and racist stereotype. White privilege always reminds me of this Eddie Murphy sketch:

Did we even watch the same video?

OP must have watched this video instead ;)

A dirt poor white farmer will always have more privilege than a dirt poor black farmer. Do you see?

Today I learned that "dirt poor" farmers are considered privileged... :rolleyes:

Last edited:

TrainedRage

Banned
Here's someone who get's it across much better. Heartbreaking story.

Then why didn't you post that in OP? oh I get it, its fun for WOKE people to post JP videos and TRY and hot take him. I laugh every time they fail. Pretty funny. "enable ad block" what are you 12?

Gander

Banned
You mean the Arabs slavers buying African slaves from rival tribes and using them well before ever selling them to Europeans?
That's only part of it.

The oil, jewels, ivory, pelts, slaves. So many European and Asian countries made so much out of Africa for basically free, then had the nerve to leave the natives in poverty.

And this has been like the 1500s until yesterday.

Last edited:

Mahadev

Way to completely miss the point and continue with your very specific comparison solely based on race.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Jordan Peterson is the philosopher of the internet "intellectuals".

Alfadawg

Banned
Guys, I'm sensing some of you may be triggered. It's a perfectly natural reaction when your world view is challenged.

This is a good documentary on the topic.

ilfait

All the money that we're making
It's going to the man
What man? Which man? Who's the man?
When's a man a man? What makes a man a man?
Am I a man? Yes... technically I am

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Guys, I'm sensing some of you may be triggered. It's a perfectly natural reaction when your world view is challenged.

This is a good documentary on the topic.

"I can't make a point, so here's a radical alt right mouth piece!"

Good luck finding a single poster on this board who would agree with that stance.

Gander

Banned
I guess white privilege sparks a racism debate but to me it's sorta just common sense. What race was here building a framework for their own success while subjugating others? You know why there are so many Chinese food restaurants in the U.S.? Laundry and Food were the only businesses Chinese people were allowed to open everything else got burned down.

Last edited:

Catphish

And look at the word these imbeciles chose: Privilege.
I agree with much of your post, but this, in particular, deserves to be reiterated.

I've been saying this from the beginning. "Privilege" puts many people on the defensive instantly, and all but guarantees that the message, whatever it is, will not have its intended effect, because the audience feels attacked right out of the gate.

It's not unlike saying, hey buddy, I think you're an asshole, let me tell you why, and expecting a positive outcome from it.

It's a piss-poor choice of words.

Mahadev

I agree with much of your post, but this, in particular, deserves to be reiterated.

I've been saying this from the beginning. "Privilege" puts many people on the defensive instantly, and all but guarantees that the message, whatever it is, will not have its intended effect, because the audience feels attacked right out of the gate.

It's not unlike saying, hey buddy, I think you're an asshole, let me tell you why, and expecting a positive outcome from it.

It's a piss-poor choice of words.

And it's not just that, think of the sources this narrative comes from, pretentious Hollywood assholes, academic pseudo-intellectuals, journalists, college kids. So you have the working class that has been suffering for almost a decade now being preached by these usually affluent assholes about how they're "privileged". And people wonder why they voted for Trump, well, rage inducing bullshit like that tend to push people to the edges of the political spectrum, surprise surprise.

Last edited:

Alfadawg

Banned
So only the white working class have suffered this past 10yrs?

Your statement shows your bias.

Note - I've found that when people say "working class" they mean white.

Last edited:

Mahadev

I'm talking about struggling working class people that are being targeted by this pseudo-intellectual bullshit. Yes they're white, that the fucking point.

Last edited:

Alfadawg

Banned
I'm talking about struggling working class people that are being targeted by this pseudo-intellectual bullshit. Yes they're white, that the fucking point.

Blacks, Asians, Latinos are working class too but they don't have the white privilege to help them pull up their boot straps.

The system is rigged against them.

White working class are going to suffer even more by turning to a conman like trump. They're already losing jobs due to his stupid trade war.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess

You inferred "only" yet you cry bias?

Note - I've found that when people say "working class" they mean white.

You seriously need to sit down for like, even 3 minutes and reread your own posts...

The mental gymnastics and hypocrisy that spews from your posts is officially mind melting...

Gexxy1

I guess white privilege sparks a racism debate but to me it's sorta just common sense. What race was here building a framework for their own success while subjugating others? You know why there are so many Chinese food restaurants in the U.S.? Laundry and Food were the only businesses Chinese people were allowed to open everything else got burned down.
The Asians? Since they make more than whites on average.

I just don't see why whites should pay for their ancestor's sins.

Last edited:

Gander

Banned
It's very real thing but I also get that it's hard to describe sometimes.

There is a issue at Google right now which far and away the greatest place to work. It's like a paradise. So you're black and happy you landed such a great opportunity and get there and you are made to feel not welcome. Nothing you did wrong, not your work or your attitude people just don't invite you to things or make you feel welcome. They stop talking when you come around. If your white you never have worry if this is because you are white.

There is a issue at Google right now which far and away the greatest place to work. It's like a paradise. So you're black and happy you landed such a great opportunity and get there and you are made to feel not welcome. Nothing you did wrong, not your work or your attitude people just don't invite you to things or make you feel welcome. They stop talking when you come around. If your white you never have worry if this is because you are white.

I think that's just called racism.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess

Or maybe what ever minority employee that you pulled this anecdote from is just an unlikable cunt and gets treated accordingly. But you know, can't let that get in the way of your white privilege narrative.

appaws

Banned

Neither of them have any privilege.

I have done pro bono work out in the coal mining areas of eastern Kentucky. These spoiled brat, bourgeois white hipsters should shut the fuck up about anybody besides themselves being privileged, until they see the desperation of a man being unemployed for years, the closed businesses, the pain killer addicts and alcoholics. The middle aged men committing suicide because the entire meaning of what their manhood meant was the ability to support a family, and that is gone.

Moneal

Excluding the far end of both sides, the left has more issue with the jews than the right does.

The left sees the jews as white, so they are a part of the white male power structure. How else can you explain people calling Ben Shapiro a nazi?

Last edited:

Mahadev

Blacks, Asians, Latinos are working class too but they don't have the white privilege to help them pull up their boot straps.

The system is rigged against them.

White working class are going to suffer even more by turning to a conman like trump. They're already losing jobs due to his stupid trade war.

It's amazing how you keep missing the point, if you had followed the damn discussion you'd understand that it revolves around how terms like "privilege" are extremely hostile and enrage the people they're targeting especially if you consider who makes the accusations (usually upper class people) and who is the target (usually struggling working class people). Your response to that is the nonsensical "but what about blacks asians and latinos!".

Your last paragraph specifically is a testament to how little you read the posts you reply to. My post here:

And people wonder why they voted for Trump, well, rage inducing bullshit like that tend to push people to the edges of the political spectrum, surprise surprise.

...never implies it was a rational decision just an angry backlash to the bullshit you support.

Top Bottom