• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Joystiq: Amalur IP heads to auction this month

daman824

Reckoning was amazing. Hopefully someone buys it and it gets a sequel. I don't know how I would feel about an mmo. I know that's what was originally planned. But I would rather have 4-5 player coop instead. Or maybe just incorporate some mmo elements.

At the end of the day did it come down to gross mismanagement or were there more malicious things involved with the studio's failure?

From what I've read it was like any other business.

Being an independent developer is living on the edge of your seat, it's why Insomniac still existing in the massive form they are is kind of crazy. Managing a LARGE independent developer cannot be an easy job.

It sounds like they didn't have the time or support they needed to secure funding and were unlucky.

I mean Schilling looking for capital from places other than publishers may have been his main problem, there's not many venture capitalists interested in videogames, because they're huge risks.

snarge

At the end of the day did it come down to gross mismanagement or were there more malicious things involved with the studio's failure?

It's not any one thing, as far as management. The place certainly wasn't managed any differently than a successful game company. It was time and place, imo. The time factor was that they were developing a WoW killer 3-4 years after WoW was beginning to wane itself. With Blizzcon just now passing, we see that WoW is still going strong, sure....but there are several MMORPGs that came out, decent quality, and with much much more popular IPs attached...that have failed. It just wasn't the right time for a "WoW Killer". Place, I say more because of the loans, politicians, journalists and other stuff involved. We'll never know the full story, tbh, but yeah....some bullshit went down in Providence, that was far beyond the reach of that company's hands.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Microsoft should go for this imo. I know about Fable but another exclusive RPG would strengthen their portfolio
The game itself plays very similar to Fable as it is though at least for combat, so they might have to rehaul it a bit. I do agree MS should go for it though, fits it with them pretty well.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Meh, I don't think it is very valuable as an IP.

The concept itself isn't anything we haven't seen before.

It was the combat and the controls that made Amalur shine and that isn't copyrighted.
I tend to agree. The worldbuilding is detailed and thorough, but exceptionally bland. The most standard fantasy tropes and themes ever, a few good ideas but that never go really far, it's just rather soulless. Shame, it had so much potential.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
The game itself plays very similar to Fable as it is though at least for combat, so they might have to rehaul it a bit. I do agree MS should go for it though, fits it with them pretty well.

The combat in Amular is !much more deep and varied than Fable. I'd argue it's the best I've played in an action RPG.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
The combat in Amular is !much more deep and varied than Fable. I'd argue it's the best I've played in an action RPG.

Ehh it's pretty good, but have you tried Dragon's Dogma (which Amalur kinda seems to have ripped off for many things regarding the combat [edit: nvm, my mistake]), Demon's Souls and Dark Souls?

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Ehh it's pretty good, but have you tried Dragon's Dogma (which Amalur kinda seems to have ripped off for many things regarding the combat), Demon's Souls and Dark Souls?

yup, all of them. The Souls games are entirely different to me, and I wasn't comparing them. DD is roughly similar, but I found it to be a pretty soulless affair, ultimately felt kind of hollow to me.

I'm playing Reckoning in honor of this auction, and I continue to love it. This is like the 5th character I've created and had fun with.

The whole thing just bums me out.

Mindlog

I'm playing Reckoning in honor of this auction, and I continue to love it. This is like the 5th character I've created and had fun with.

The whole thing just bums me out.
How is the DLC?

I have MS points to burn and I wouldn't mind catching up on this game.

How is the DLC?

I have MS points to burn and I wouldn't mind catching up on this game.
Funny you should ask, I just downloaded the Dead Kel DLC last night and it's awesome. A whole new island with a completely different look, new monsters, and a skeleton pirate! So far I'd highly recommend it.

Oh yeah and you get your own fortress.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
That's pretty impressive, considering Amalur came out three months before Dragon's Dogma. Maybe they went broke because, just like me in Civilization, they wasted all their money on spies?
Ohhh. My bad, I thought for sure Amalur was late 2012... don't know why I thought that, I totally misremembered I guess. Sorry.

Maybe DD ripped them off then, but if they came out so close to one another I suppose it's unlikely and mostly just coincidence.

Mindlog

Funny you should ask, I just downloaded the Dead Kel DLC last night and it's awesome. A whole new island with a completely different look, new monsters, and a skeleton pirate! So far I'd highly recommend it.

Oh yeah and you get your own fortress.
Good enough for me. Just bought both. Thanks for the heads up.

i really enjoyed Reckoning, I hope this finds new life in capable hands. Big Huge Games did a great job though, it's really unfortunate that they got dragged down in all that mess.

Jharp

I hope this means we'll see a sale on Steam for KoA:R. I made the mistake of buying the PS3 version and have been wanting to replay it. Would love to get the PC version, but not on Origin.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
The auction ended about 10 minutes ago. No word yet on who bought what, though.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Got a feeling that Nordic probably bought the IP...they have money, I guess

Yeah, Nordic was my first guess, too:

Finally, something will come of this!

Edit: I wonder who'll snap up Amalur. Larian could do a sequel justice, I think, though I doubt it has the cash to splash. Depending on the price, maybe Nordic will expand its portfolio that little bit more.

I floated Deep Silver in a later post, but the company doesn't have a single RPG on Steam at the moment.

i completed the game but I genuinely can't remember anything about it. not worth those numbers and that $1b figure Schilling said was a joke.

Malyse

I could not care less about the IP (first time I 100% a game with it on mute) but I want Bioware to pick up that engine and make a Dragon Age with it.

I could not care less about the IP (first time I 100% a game with it on mute) but I want Bioware to pick up that engine and make a Dragon Age with it.
Why would you ask for such a thing when they have a more than capable (and superior) engine at their disposal.?

tumblr_msfepakEae1qlpngvo3_400.gif

OT I really enjoyed it despite its flaws, the combat and world were more than a worthy trade off for me, would love to see someone picking it up and Improving upon the flaws of the previous game.

Some Nobody

Dear new Amalur IP owner:

Abandon that stupid MMO. Turn this into a single player game.

Signed,
Countless Reckoning Fans

The one thing that bugged me the most about Amalur was the sheer lack of scale in the cities, but Copernicus seems to have fixed that. I'd rather have a sequel on PS4, but PS360 would certainly be a day one buy for me.

casiopao

So, till now we still don't know who buy the IP?

Any guess gaf?

Can sega, ubisoft, EA, activision get this game? Or is it Nordic again? T_T

Parsnip

I just hope that whoever bought it does something with the MMO...
Something like dig a deep deep hole and bury the whole thing in there.

They should just scrap the MMO entirely and make Reckoning 2, or whatever they want to call it.

Kingdoms of Amalur: Revelations.

Some Nobody

Something like dig a deep deep hole and bury the whole thing in there.

They should just scrap the MMO entirely and make Reckoning 2, or whatever they want to call it.

Kingdoms of Amalur: Revelations.

I love the art work in that flyover vid. But yeah you can totally keep that MMO shit. Just turn it into a single-player franchise. Focus on making the character and world design as beautiful as possible and the battle system increasingly more fun.

Top Bottom