• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Joystiq: DS redesign coming as soon as January 16th?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i'm confused, they're going to announce the final secret of the controller on Monday at 11 AM, and then after they announce it, they're going to announce another "final" major secret?!?!

COUGHCOUGHFULLOFSHITCOUGH

excuse me, must have had something in my throat

as for the redesigned ds, yes i'd buy one because i sold my old one (long story) and desperately want another so i can finally play some mario kart. i could care less whether it works as a cell phone, but i'd love a ds that looked a little sleeker, was easier to hold, and had bigger/better face buttons.

Kevtones

kenta said:
So the FINAL SECRET will be revealed on January 16th...

...and then the FINAL SECRET will be revealed at E3. Alrighty then.

I caught that too, thought I was just reading poorly. Worst fake ever.

monkeyrun

Oblivion said:
:lol That'd be ace.

Speaking of Merrick, I wonder if he was the idiot that let it slip that Zelda was gonna have Rev. features. It would make some sense. It was reported by NGC and NGC is a European magazine, and where does Merrick work? Nintendo of Europe!

DUN DUN DUUUUUUUUUUUN!!!
yes actually he said it in an interview (on one of those cube magazine) about Zelda using the revmote.

Tumalu said:
Hmm? I thought that's what the "Transfer Nintendo WFC Configuration" option did on the options menu for Nintendo WFC.

That's just for exchanging connection data of you local wifi settings with other DSs.

Tumalu

marvelharvey said:
That's just for exchanging connection data of you local wifi settings with other DSs.
Wierd. I wonder why they force you delete your settings on the unit that's doing the sending. Then again, it wouldn't be the only thing about Nintendo WFC that makes things more difficult than necessary. :lol

Flynn

Can I reveal my POP SECRET?
Pop%20Secret%20Honey%20Butter%20%20Flavour%20Premium%20Popcorn%20From%20The%20Stateside%20Candy%20Co.jpg

biggreenmachine

The bleeding edge of news reporting...
I like the DS except for the way it feels, I'd buy a new version just as surely as I bought a GBA, SP, micro. I don't want it to be smaller really but just more comfortable to hold, and why not make the screen brighter/easier to see somehow (isn't that a given with a Nintendo handheld redesign). As far as getting worked up about some random thread by some random dude on IGN, whateva..

I do think it is inevitable though. Infact every portable Nintendo has released up till now (-DS obviosuly) has seen a redesign or been a redesign.

On a slight twist, the IGN poster might be a new employee at Nintendo (but not for long). Not sure what happens at Nintendo, but a couple of gaming companies I have worked at will release information to their staff prior to an announcement, with each department receiving a small lie in their email. If the information finds its way onto the internet, the company can check which small lie has reached the public domain and this narrows down where they have to look within the company for the info leak.

Anyway, 70 products? HAHAHAHA Yeah, right.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Flynn said:
You can't move your Animal Crossing town from one DS to another, can you?

Whaaaaat? Well the new DS better have a way to accept your AC/MK games or theres no point in a redesign at all. Screwing people by making them rebuy/restart a game is SO not right.

mj1108

marvelharvey said:
On a slight twist, the IGN poster might be a new employee at Nintendo (but not for long). Not sure what happens at Nintendo, but a couple of gaming companies I have worked at will release information to their staff prior to an announcement, with each department receiving a small lie in their email. If the information finds its way onto the internet, the company can check which small lie has reached the public domain and this narrows down where they have to look within the company for the info leak.

He's not an employee of Nintendo. He's a fraud. He's just posting stuff to get people riled up.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
marvelharvey said:

That's pretty devious and clever actually.

biggreenmachine

The bleeding edge of news reporting...
Heres what I think:

Shiny new, comfy gripping DS that works with the Revolution as a full fledge controller, screen displaying graphics and everything.

I don't see why people are complaining about the DS' looks. It's fits perfectly into my black hands. Also, it doesn't look that ugly to me either. Not PSP-quality obviously, but it's still nice.

Flynn

Lindsay said:
Whaaaaat? Well the new DS better have a way to accept your AC/MK games or theres no point in a redesign at all. Screwing people by making them rebuy/restart a game is SO not right.

I'm not too worried. My old DS will become a dedicated Animal Crossing machine. I'll use the new DS, if it actually exists, to play Mario Kart. I don't mind beating that game over, especially if the new DS doesn't destroy my poor thumb like the old one did.

Roders5

Iwata een bom zal droppen
So two different sources at different times claim that on the same day we are going to get info on the Rev controller and a new DS. Hmmm......Rev controller......DS......Rev controller....DS......Rev controller.......DS.......there's something here I think...........can't quite put my finger on it.........GOT IT! External HD-DVD for the Rev!

Sweedishrodeo

the smegma spreader
i know its been a few months since everyone got let down by the multiple megaduds and got megaowned by drinky, but if last year was any indication this is faker than fake ever faked. ever. dont blieve.

fse

hmm, DSmall with built in rumble pack, and gba slot taken out. 35% smaller? Bigger stylus and smaller more higher rez screens. thats my guess.

I have yet to purchase a DS, and was so hoping this info was true, but the more I think about it, the more it seems fake. We shall find out on the 16th, I s'pose.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
If any of this is remotely true, and i doubt it seriously, the supposed last big secret about the console will be its release date. And if they are starting a marketing campaign in march, I would say that it means the Rev is coming out in early summer... Pretty soon after E3. But neh. I really doubt that it's true.

After this announcement, there will be another announcement of a final major secret regarding Nintendo's next generation console, which is to be revealed at the E3 press conference in May.

I read the bolded part to just be a refernece to the console. It's next generation console, which is to be revealed at E3. As in the console itself as a whole will be revealed,not just how it works. I imagine also the price. It all seems fishy though...

Hero

Hmm. Taking out the GBA slot would make it a lot smaller, but I still have a feeling that you'll be able to take your GBA Pokemon into the DS' Pearl and Diamond.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Flynn said:
I'm not too worried. My old DS will become a dedicated Animal Crossing machine. I'll use the new DS, if it actually exists, to play Mario Kart. I don't mind beating that game over, especially if the new DS doesn't destroy my poor thumb like the old one did.

Pfftt the only reason I ever had 2 "active" GBC & then GBAs were for POKéMON and that would be the same for DS. But if I can only ever play Animal Crossing (and Tetris to I imagine) on my original DS then it really is a big middle finger to the millions who not only bought a DS but also to those who keep buying games for it. >_<; Having 2 active DS' would be a big old pain in the butt.

Nick

I would buy a redesigned DS. I think the current one is kinda clunky, and it really could be smaller if it wanted to be.

Jonnyram

f_elz said:
hmm, DSmall with built in rumble pack, and gba slot taken out. 35% smaller? Bigger stylus and smaller more higher rez screens. thats my guess.
No point in getting rid of the GBA slot, but I'm all up for a redesign aside from that.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
The only way I'd buy the new DS is if the redesign is on the magnitude of GBA to GBA SP. The SP was so dramatically better... A slight downsizing won't cut it for the DS... Some things I figure it could have would be wifi 802.11G, web browser, and writing recognition built in, along with more system memory. Hopefully whatever they do doesn't jack the price up too high. I'd love it to be 129.99 (first ds going to 99), but i figure it'll be 150. Though I really don't think it'll be this month.

cvxfreak

f_elz said:

That can't be, as they need the GBA slot for Pokemon.

Hero said:
Hmm. Taking out the GBA slot would make it a lot smaller, but I still have a feeling that you'll be able to take your GBA Pokemon into the DS' Pearl and Diamond.

Other games have GBA-traded secrets (although most are minor), and the two Pokémon Dungeon games released in Japan I assume interact (since one was released on DS, and the other on GBA). Not to mention that removes compatibility for the rumble pak, the Band Bros expansion pak, any other hardware they want to release as an add-on later, and the backward compatibility selling point. I just don't see it happening.

Really, the DS doesn't need a redesign, just a few small tweaks. Polish a few edges (like the rim around the portable), get rid of just a bit of the weight (and thickness if they can swing it), and build in some WiFi-friendly features like locally-stored WiFi Connection info (something that can still be set in games for DSes that don't have it, but newer games can automatically refer to that stored info), maybe the ability to go online with Pictochat to chat with friend list members. And I'd kill for a web browser, but the last time I brought that idea up, people beat me senseless. Then someone else later brought up the idea to Reggie and he seemed interested in it.

Things that add value or benefit, but wouldn't mean that the original DSes couldn't play new games without losing out on features. A console-stored WiFi Connect settings thing would be something the games would be programmed to look for, but if they can't find it because they're on an original DS, they'd fall back on the normal method of entry.

Still, though, the current DS is selling so well, why reveal a new one? But this could explain why they ran out and won't have any more for the Japanese market until the end of this month...

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
Unless that Shit cooks me a good steak im avoiding it. Fuck Redesignes. Unless its doing something new AND worth giving a damn nintendo really doesnt need more of my money

nexes

Lindsay said:

I accidentally popped my copy of AC into my friend's DS and it worked fine. I didn't even notice it was his until I realized that mine was still in my pocket.

I think your friend code will change and stuff (and your Mario Kart WFC record will be wiped), but you shouldn't have a problem accessing your town.

Nester

nexes said:
I think your friend code will change and stuff (and your Mario Kart WFC record will be wiped), but you shouldn't have a problem accessing your town.

Yes, this is all that happens. You just need to give everyone a new friend code.

jarrod

Banned
Jonnyram said:
No point in getting rid of the GBA slot, but I'm all up for a redesign aside from that.
How about trading the GBA slot for 512MB of Flash that allows you to download GB/GBC/GBA games via Nintendo WiFi Connection?

Chittagong

Gold Member
crappest "gaming news" site on internet said:
Speaking to us today, Nintendo America spokesman JC Smith explained, “We have no announcement scheduled for the 16th. There may be a showing of product to retail, though that will comprise items already announced and in the public domain.”

OMG ITS ANNOUNCED THIS WEEK ALREADY

nah... this is all bullshit I think, especially the Revolution part. DS SP is on its way sure, and it'll surprise us all like Nintendo usually does.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Kulock said:
and build in some WiFi-friendly features like locally-stored WiFi Connection info (something that can still be set in games for DSes that don't have it, but newer games can automatically refer to that stored info),

The WiFi connection info is stored on the DS, and not on the individual game carts. When I popped Animal Crossing into my DS for the first time, it automatically loaded up and used the WiFi settings I had in place from Mario Kart DS. I was rather surprised, as I kept hearing people say that the DS didn't save settings... but it does.

marvelharvey said:
Do we know that? I thought it was just for easily setting up a friend's DS to use your connection, but when I attempted to use it to do just that for my little brother's DS, I got the warning message that it would delete the profile on my DS in the process. If the function is for easily configuring other DS units, that wouldn't make any sense. As the DS stores WiFi data in its internal memory, I'm quite willing to believe that that function is meant for transferring your WiFi profile permanently to a new DS, allowing you to change hardware. Has anyone tried that -- sending a WiFi profile from one DS to another, then popping their WiFi game into the new DS and taking it online? If you can do that and retain your friend list, then it's rather obvious Nintendo thought ahead.

Anyways, well if a ds redesign is to ever occur im sure picto chat will be improved as well as some sort of handwriting recognition built into it.. cause didnt they sign a deal with some handwriting recoginition technology?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom