• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Joystiq: DS redesign coming as soon as January 16th?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koshiba

I would think they'd want to take a while longer to release the redesign. I probaly won't get the redsign when it comes out, I'd probably wait a while. I noticed that depending on how I hold it, it can be uncomfortable. I seem to hold it differently when I'm sitting up as opposed to laying down. When I'm laying down, I tend to grip part of the corners and it starts hurting sometimes because of how tight I'll grip it. But I'm I'm sitting up, my hands don't seem to touch the corners.

Lindsay said:
Whaaaaat? Well the new DS better have a way to accept your AC/MK games or theres no point in a redesign at all. Screwing people by making them rebuy/restart a game is SO not right.
For all the complaining you do about Animal Crossing: Wild World as is, why would you care?

Anyway, it's a poor quote. It's just that friend codes are based on a combination of cartridge and system. So at worst you create a second friend code to share with people for a new system, or at best use the "transfer settings" option as someone else already mentioned.

f_elz said:
hmm, DSmall with built in rumble pack, and gba slot taken out. 35% smaller? Bigger stylus and smaller more higher rez screens. thats my guess.
Removing GBA compatibility and the option to use it for DS expansions in exchange for less than a cubic inch is a Bad Trade.

GreenGlowingGoo said:
The only way I'd buy the new DS is if the redesign is on the magnitude of GBA to GBA SP.
And I don't see how that's possible. The big things in that change were compactness through flip-top, built-in battery, and lit screen. All things standard with DS from the get-go. A theoretical 4th GBA model could still add stereo speakers, but that's another thing the DS already has.

jarrod said:
How about trading the GBA slot for 512MB of Flash that allows you to download GB/GBC/GBA games via Nintendo WiFi Connection?
How about instead just putting similar functionality into a GBA cart casing?

Xellotah said:
The DS is selling way to good to get a Redesign.
GBA wasn't?

cvxfreak

Good post Joshua.

I mean, people need to realize, 13 Million DS systems is also 13 Million GBA systems sold, especially to non-gamers such as the Brain Trainers.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
This is great news if true. The current DS design is pretty shit and doesnt look as sleek and sexy as PSP or GBA:SP. Nintendo have shown with the SP and the Revolution that they are very capable of creating very nice looking hardware so its going to very very interesting to see what Nintendo do with DS.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
is the DS front lit, or backlit? Is there thickness they could save by changing the lighting method? (that top lid seems very thick if its only screen)

not sure about the smaller screen either - the touch element of the lower screen has limitations on how small it could be before input gets compromised.

Still, lets wait and see. the current DS is an ugly fucker.

psycho_snake

JoshuaJSlone said:
And I don't see how that's possible. The big things in that change were compactness through flip-top, built-in battery, and lit screen. All things standard with DS from the get-go. A theoretical 4th GBA model could still add stereo speakers, but that's another thing the DS already has.
that could be the problem with redesigning the DS. With the GBA there were many things that needed to be improved such as its size, its shape, the screen and the battery. There is not much on the DS that they could improve on. They wouldnt be stupid enough to take out some of DS's functions to make it smaller, what the point of mending something that isnt broken? I imagine that all they are going to do is change the shape of it so that it looks nicer.

MaddenNFL64

I'm betting they tried to find ways to fit all the hardware in a smaller casing, but couldn't really do it. I'm not expecting much of a change in design, maybe a slightly thinner casing.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
MaddenNFL64 said:
I'm betting they tried to find ways to fit all the hardware in a smaller casing, but couldn't really do it. I'm not expecting much of a change in design, maybe a slightly thinner casing.

they could make the hardware smaller. Thats usually what triggers a redesign - cost or marketing. Its doing enough numbers not to need a marketing push IMO, so the only driver would be if they can make it smaller/lighter and therefore cheaper (to manufacture, not to buy)

mrklaw said:
is the DS front lit, or backlit? Is there thickness they could save by changing the lighting method? (that top lid seems very thick if its only screen)
It's backlit. And I always thought the reverse about the thickness; it's thinner than the GBASP's top portion.

jarrod

Banned
JoshuaJSlone said:
How about instead just putting similar functionality into a GBA cart casing?
Not elegant enough, historically low add-on penetration, misses out on opportunity to resell download GBA soft, likely bulky, etc, etc.

I think it'd be better for Nintendo to come up with a DS design that caters to the same sort of audience that Revolution targets. So similar case design and a similar "Virtual Handheld" functionality. Keeping or dropping the GBA slot doesn't really matter I think, but if it shaves some space/cost, I can definitely see Nintendo doing it.

psycho_snake

jarrod said:
Not elegant enough, historically low add-on penetration, misses out on opportunity to resell download GBA soft, likely bulky, etc, etc.

I think it'd be better for Nintendo to come up with a DS design that caters to the same sort of audience that Revolution targets. So similar case design and a similar "Virtual Handheld" functionality. Keeping or dropping the GBA slot doesn't really matter I think, but if it shaves some space/cost, I can definitely see Nintendo doing it.
I cant see that being a good move. BC has been an integral part to the handhelds success. Dropping it wont make a huge difference to sales since DS has a very good library but I still think that its best to leave it there. Im not sure how many people play GBA games on their DS but Im guessing its quite a popular feature.

jarrod

Banned
psycho_snake said:
I cant see that being a good move. BC has been an integral part to the handhelds success. Dropping it wont make a huge difference to sales since DS has a very good library but I still think that its best to leave it there. Im not sure how many people play GBA games on their DS but Im guessing its quite a popular feature.
They'd still be able to play GBA games on their DS... they'd just need to pay $5 each to download them.

biggreenmachine

The bleeding edge of news reporting...
psycho_snake said:

Imagine if you could transfer your rev downloads onto the new DS via wireless (well,8 and 16 bit anyway). I like my micro for GBA so I wouldnt care if they tossed GBA BC, plus theres the new GBA backlight, they dont need 3 portables that play GBA .

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
I was going to get my son a DS and was immeditately turned off by the size when the clerk handed it to me. I hope this turns out to be true.

psycho_snake

I guess if you could download GBA games then it wouldnt be much of a problem if Nintenbdo decided to remove the GBA slot. Lets imagine that nintendo do go ahead and remove the GBA slot, how much would that knock off the DS price?

I'd probably keep my current DS and pass it on to my brother or something (for multiplayers sake, see, I'm selfish really)

I hope this is true too. GB Micro is beautiful, I picked one up this week. I hope similar quality of design aesthetic applies.

neptunes

It would be cool if they 'future-Proofed' it a bit and added 128mb or less of flash memory.

That way we'd be able to transfer the snes/nes games that we can download off to a DS.

or better yet throw in an sd card port (just like they're doing with the REV) and allow the user to have as much storage as they want.

include Play-Yan, even if we have to buy an empty cart to pay for MP3/MPeG-4 licensing.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
I don't see why the GBA slot is such a problem, it's not like it occupies a lot of space. Hell, the GBA micro has a gba slot and it's tiny! If anything, they should allow the new DS to play GB classic/color games. I got rid of my GBA SP when I got a DS because i could play my GBA games on it. It is a better suggestion than some I've heard at other forums, like getting rid of the touch screen... I just think the GBA comptatibility is a huge part of what makes the DS so great.

One thing I'd like to see that will never happen would be that the DS card slot could also read/write normal SD cards.

neptunes said:
or better yet throw in an sd card port (just like they're doing with the REV) and allow the user to have as much storage as they want.

YES.

I've been hoping for this ever since they announced Rev will use SD cards.

All Nintendo needs to do is:

- Make the DS a little smaller/skinnier/sexier like the Rev or an iPod
- Use the same quality screens/light that the new GBA SP uses
- Add in an SD card slot
- Update the firmware with color/online Pictochat, a better interface, etc.
- Sell it for $150 to $180

You could maybe download demos of new DS games off of Revolution and try them out on the DS, using the SD cards, or listen to MP3s or whatever.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I hope they exchange GBA port's and DS port's positions and let us play GB and GBC games with it. If the GBA slot is on the bottom of the DS it's problematic, but if it's at the top, it's all right 0).

monkeyrun

neptunes said:
It would be cool if they 'future-Proofed' it a bit and added 128mb or less of flash memory.
OR they could 'future-proofed' it by adding a USB port on it, so it could attatch to external Blueray Player or HD-DVD player :lol

DrEvil

not a medical professional
I've got 83 products registered at My Nintendo. and uh, no secret email link that I can see.

d

snatches

SpeedRazor said:
Don't really know what to say about this. Joystiq seems sort of hit or miss lately.

http://culture.joystiq.com/2006/01/11/nintendo-ds-redesign-coming-jan-16th/

I personally don't mind the current style of the DS, but wouldn't hesitate to purchase a redesign and give my wife the current DS. :lol

Seeing as that other "news" is absolute BS.....I don't think Nintendo would announce a redesign of a system that is sold out in Japan and selling like hot cakes. This is an E3 announcement and an early fall release, if they decide to do it at all this year.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.

gc_sdmemorycardadapter.jpg

Did this ever come out?

DavidDayton said:
The WiFi connection info is stored on the DS, and not on the individual game carts. When I popped Animal Crossing into my DS for the first time, it automatically loaded up and used the WiFi settings I had in place from Mario Kart DS. I was rather surprised, as I kept hearing people say that the DS didn't save settings... but it does.

Actually, I noticed that, but I thought I'd just lucked out by swapping the cards as quickly as I had (the N64 Expansion Pak retains data for something like 20 seconds after console power down, along the same idea), or that I'd set it at a previous point and forgot. Interesting.

R0nn

GreenGlowingGoo said:
It is a better suggestion than some I've heard at other forums, like getting rid of the touch screen...

Wait...what? People really suggested that? That's plain friggin ridicilous! :lol

Anyway, what I would like to see in a redesign:

- Sleeker and sexier look that matches the Rev and GB Micro
- Make it smaller and more portable
- Improve button feel and placement to make it more comfortable
- Add an SD slot/internal flash memory/both so you can download and play NES, SNES, GameBoy and GBC titles through Virtual Console
- Bluetooth, 802.11G, Java and Flash support
- Include multimedia app/functionality for playback of MP3/MPEG4/DIVX/JPG/BMP/GIF
- Improve screen quality to the same level as the upgraded GBA SP or better
- Make PictoChat online with more functionality
- Add support for VoIP both in games and PictoChat
- Handwriting recognizer
- Web browser and organizer functions
- Somehow increase the resolution of the screens to better accomodate the web browsing and multimedia functionality. Maybe developers could add in two resolution modes for their games as well. Would mean that the CPU's of the NDS redesign need to be clocked a bit higher so the higher resolutions can be handled without problem. Don't know how all of this would influence the cost of the unit though.

If they added all that shit in, I'd seriously consider buying one and giving the old one to my sister or something. Not completely sure of the multimedia and web browsing though. It could detract from the game play functionality, which is clearly something Nintendo doesn't want.

Just as a sidenote: I wouldn't be surprised if they could add most of those functions through simple firmware updates as well. They could use the Revolution as the hub through which to download those updates.

It will attach to the XBOX 360.

As a hub for connecting the HD-DVD/BRD add-on.

R0nn said:
Wait...what? People really suggested that? That's plain friggin ridicilous!

- Add an SD slot/internal flash memory/both so you can download and play NES, SNES, GameBoy and GBC titles through Virtual Console
- Include multimedia app/functionality for playback of MP3/MPEG4/DIVX/JPG/BMP/GIF
- Handwriting recognizer
- Somehow increase the resolution of the screens to better accomodate the web browsing and multimedia functionality. Maybe developers could add in two resolution modes for their games as well. Would mean that the CPU's of the NDS redesign need to be clocked a bit higher so the higher resolutions can be handled without problem. Don't know how all of this would influence the cost of the unit though.

If they added all that shit in, I'd seriously consider buying one and giving the old one to my sister or something. Not completely sure of the multimedia and web browsing though. It could detract from the game play functionality, which is clearly something Nintendo doesn't want.

Jesus fuck. If they completely redesign the system, I'd seriously consider buying one. :lol

Give me GBA SP2 quality screens, a sleek design with colors to match the Revolution and I'm good to go. I wouldn't mind seeing an upgraded Pictochat, SD slot and VoIP functionality added, but it's really not make or break for me.

Oh, and I don't think NES and SNES games would work as well on the DS, because IIRC the screen resolution for a DS is less than that of those games. I could be wrong though. I'd be all for downloading GB and GBC games though.

Flynn

The only feature I really want on a DS redesign is a better d-pad. I'd buy a second DS that looked exactly the same if it had an analog stick.

R0nn

AndoCalrissian said:
Jesus fuck. If they completely redesign the system, I'd seriously consider buying one. :lol

Give me GBA SP2 quality screens, a sleek design with colors to match the Revolution and I'm good to go. I wouldn't mind seeing an upgraded Pictochat, SD slot and VoIP functionality added, but it's really not make or break for me.

Oh, and I don't think NES and SNES games would work as well on the DS, because IIRC the screen resolution for a DS is less than that of those games. I could be wrong though. I'd be all for downloading GB and GBC games though.

Don't forget I already got a NDS, so it would take quite a bit more than just a new look and better screens for me to buy the redesign. :lol Basically, it almost has to feel like a completely new system before I'd pay €100+ on it.

In regard to NES and SNES games: correct me if I'm wrong, but the resolution of the NDS is a bit higher than the NES and SNES iirc. At the least, it's not lower. Anyway, if they would increase the screen resolution a bit, this wont pose a problem any way you slice it.

R0nn said:
- Handwriting recognizer

$300+ ?

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
R0nn said:
Wait...what? People really suggested that? That's plain friggin ridicilous! :lol

- Handwriting recognizer

It's funny, so the DS would essentially be a PDA. That's why I don't think Nintendo would would put all that in out of the box. I could see them releasing a bunch of either GBA carts or DS cards that had these functions. You can consider it milking the people who want all the functions, or saving all the poeple who don't from spending a bunch of cash on functions they'll never use.

Also, why do people keep suggesting adding a new SD slot? The DS cards are SD cards, they just have to make that slot compatible with both.

Finally, what the hell makes a video game system sexy? I read that, but it confuses me. Now a DS with a really powerful vibration featu... Anyway, I've never seen what was "sexy" about the PSP. The giant screen is appealing, but it pretty much looks like a long version of the original GBA with a big screen. So umm where's the sex?

R0nn

rahxephon03x said:

I like to dream. :)

But seriously, they already got improved screens on the GBA SP, support for web browsing, multimedia stuff, java, flash and handwriting recognition is software based for the most part (unless I'm missing something?) and the whole redesign part is relatively low-cost R&D. It might even lead to more efficient and cheaper production, especially on the longer run.

Only problems I see is Bluetooth (which could still be scrapped with WiFi in place), 802.11G (but does that really cost all that much nowadays?), the higher clocked CPU's (still, they don't have to be all that much faster afaic) and the SD slot (of which I have no idea what that costs to add in). FlashRAM will probably be much more expensive than a SD slot, so just scrap that idea.

So yeah, maybe the long list of features makes it seem like it would add much cost, but maybe it's not all that bad at all when you think about it a bit.

Also, why do people keep suggesting adding a new SD slot? The DS cards are SD cards, they just have to make that slot compatible with both.

No it's not. NDS carts look quite a bit like SD cards, but they're actually quite a bit thicker and SD cards don't fit into the slot at all. Trust me, I've tried.

So umm where's the sex?

Well, I dunno. It's just a general term I thought I'd use. I think something's considered sexy when it somehow reminds you of a very good looking woman (or man depending on preference). That's my theory.

ant1532

Banned
R0nn said:

- Handwriting recognizer

Just as a sidenote: I wouldn't be surprised if they could add most of those functions through simple firmware updates as well. They could use the Revolution as the hub through which to download those updates.

thats not a redesign... thats a new system. just wait for DS advance

R0nn

ant1532 said:
thats not a redesign... thats a new system. just wait for DS advance

It's only a new system when the hardware gets significantly upgraded and it can play it's own unique games. The idea I posted is simply a much improved version of the current DS, not a new system (though it's close to it).

R0nn said:
Don't forget I already got a NDS, so it would take quite a bit more than just a new look and better screens for me to buy the redesign. :lol Basically, it almost has to feel like a completely new system before I'd pay €100+ on it.

In regard to NES and SNES games: correct me if I'm wrong, but the resolution of the NDS is a bit higher than the NES and SNES iirc. At the least, it's not lower. Anyway, if they would increase the screen resolution a bit, this wont pose a problem any way you slice it.
I own a DS too, just so we're clear on that. I really only require better screens and a sleeker design, hopefully one that matches the Revolution at least in color scheme. I guess I'm easy.

According to Wikipedia the NES displayed NTSC games in 256x224, while the resolution for one DS screen is 256 × 192. So that's a loss of 32 vertical pixels. Maybe not a huge issue, but it's something that has to be considered. I don't know if Nintendo will want to increase the resolution as that then creates two standards for the system, especially with 13 million+ of the old style in the hands of consumers already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom