• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Joystiq: DS redesign coming as soon as January 16th?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bummyhead

soundwave05 said:
Well you'd lose the GBA slot and replace it with a much smaller SD Card slot. You could then use the space the GBA slot occupies to move the battery or chipset into that area and possibly allowing for a much more compact overall design.

The various Game Boy iterations have added/removed features -- IIRC Game Boy Color had an RF infared port added didn't it?

well removing GBA compatabilty would be a deal breaker for me, and I'd bet a lot of other people. I highly doubt that will happen.

cvxfreak

soundwave05 said:
Well you'd lose the GBA slot and replace it with a much smaller SD Card slot. You could then use the space the GBA slot occupies to move the battery or chipset into that area and possibly allowing for a much more compact overall design.

The various Game Boy iterations have added/removed features -- IIRC Game Boy Color had an RF infared port added didn't it?

The RF port is nothing compared to the GBA slot. The GBA slot will be important for people who want to upgrade their GBAs.

I really hope that they do loose the GBA slot. Those who need it can just go ahead and get the 1st iteration of the DS. They will most likely be sold alongside the new version if this were to happen. GBA games aren't important to everyone, I definitely don't need em and I hope Nintendo would have realised that.
The DS no longer needs the GBA slot, the only reason they added it was for the fact that it needed more games in it's library for a launch and backwards compatibility with the GBA was the perfect workaround. But it isn't needed anymore, the DS' library is getting better and better every month and wasting that space for a GBA slot and all the extra chips required is not logical, when they could instead create a much sleeker, sexier and more compact device without the slot bearing it's weight.

Lee N

Membre
Do not forget the I/O features of the GBA slot. There's already the BanBro expansion and the Rumble Pack using this, And I'm sure we'll see more like this in the future.

Removing the GBA slot on a new DS would be weird.

A_Lee_N said:
Do not forget the I/O features of the GBA slot. There's already the BanBro expansion and the Rumble Pack using this, And I'm sure we'll see more like this in the future.

Removing the GBA slot on a new DS would be weird.
Maybe they would include things like rumble and possibly gyro into the device if it's feasible. Maybe it's been said before in the thread but, Nintendo did initially have a Gyro capable DS prototype but didn't go ahead with it because it would have been too costly at the time. Or on the otherhand, maybe they might go with something like what a poster mentioned above by having the gba slot as a peripheral that can connect to the DS like with the additions to the Revmote, sounds more reasonable to me from a design and cost perspective.

Warm Machine said:
I'd like to see both screens get combined into a single widescreen and make the whole thing touch sensitive.

That would be a lot more expensive though. One large LCD is always going to cost more than two smaller ones, let alone one full touchscreen.

You might see something like that on Game Boy Next though.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
I'd rather see Nintendo use the Play-Yan for DS applications before mangling the DS into a smaller form factor. The Play-Yan can act as a SD reader for the DS, and there is really little reason not to release a "DS Media Player" cart that plugs into the DS slot and uses SD cards in the GBA cart.

DavidDayton said:
I'd rather see Nintendo use the Play-Yan for DS applications before mangling the DS into a smaller form factor. The Play-Yan can act as a SD reader for the DS, and there is really little reason not to release a "DS Media Player" cart that plugs into the DS slot and uses SD cards in the GBA cart.

Why even bother with a DS slot though ... why not just dump the GBA slot, save the space, and add a SD Card slot to a DS SP? That would be a heckuva lot more compact than having to waste a huge cartridge slot to accomodate something the size of a postage stamp.

It's not like you need an adaptor to plug in Memory Sticks to the PSP.

soundwave05 said:
That would be a lot more expensive though. One large LCD is always going to cost more than two smaller ones, let alone one full touchscreen.

You might see something like that on Game Boy Next though.

Could the 2 LCDs be placed flush together?

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
soundwave05 said:
Why even bother with a DS slot though ... why not just dump the GBA slot, save the space, and add a SD Card slot to a DS SP? That would be a heckuva lot more compact than having to waste a huge cartridge slot to accomodate something the size of a postage stamp.

It's not like you need an adaptor to plug in Memory Sticks to the PSP.

... because the Play-Yan already exists and can be sold as both a GBA and DS device? Slashing out hardware functions is not a "postive" feature, in my opinion, especially when the same functionality can be achieved by using existing hardware and software options.

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
PhoenixDark said:
carrieasaeris0wr.jpg

Never forget

She needs to get acquainted with an iron.

cvxfreak

Is the GBA slot really that big a deal to some of you? The only reduction you will get is that, the dimensions of the GBA cart slot itself. The chip that powers the GBA, the ARM 7, is used by DS games as well, so that won't be removed if the port were. You'll have saved barely anything.

True DS size reduction will be achieved by redoing the speakers, downsizing the size of the actual chipset and redoing the shell. The GBA slot does NOT factor into that.

yoopoo

Banned
No its not going to happen, its already Monday afternoon in Japan and tomorrow is a national holiday in the US.

Why do people even pay attention to these Nintendo 'leaks' anymore?

yoopoo said:
No its not going to happen, its already Monday afternoon in Japan and tomorrow is a national holiday in the US.

Why do people even pay attention to these Nintendo 'leaks' anymore?

I thought it was like 7am in Tokyo right now. They are +9gmt.

A DS redesign is inevitable, but it'll probably happen this summer or so .... January is way too early.

I can see Reggie or Mr. Iwata unveiling a smaller/slimmer model at E3.

meppi

Not sure if it's even possible but I'd love to see GBA wireless multiplayer being built into a new version of the DS.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Wollan said:
Nintendo has now officialy stated that there will be no announcements this week.

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=62490

Omg, does that mean announcement next monday!?!? :lol
Thank you Eurogamer for just making this worse. Now people will be expecting the announcement next week or very soon just because of the way they worded the article. Couldn't they just say NoE confirmed that these rumors were shit?

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
jj984jj said:
Thank you Eurogamer for just making this worse. Now people will be expecting the announcement next week or very soon just because of the way they worded the article. Couldn't they just say NoE confirmed that these rumors were shit?

But this way they can claim they were the first to confirm the redesign!

I like how Eurogamer did nothing but copy and paste GamesIndustry.biz's article, change the link to the old story to one of their own, and didn't give any credit.

Nash said:
Atleast Lik-Sang will probably probably post an update from their 'source' today if nothing else ... ;)

Lik-Sang guy #1: "Damn, we need more orders and visitors!"
Lik-Sang guy #2: "Quick, update with some fake stories!"
Lik-Sang guy #1: "Great idea. What about this Nintendo DS story?"
Lik-Sang guy #2: "Excellent! I'll write the press release."

:D

I <3 Katamari said:
I like how Eurogamer did nothing but copy and paste GamesIndustry.biz's article, change the link to the old story to one of their own, and didn't give any credit.

Errrr.... from the link:

Nintendo of Europe has told our sister site, GamesIndustry.biz, that there are no plans to unveil a redesigned version of the Nintendo DS this week - despite rumours to the contrary...

:D

Shiggy

The new, flat DS will be presented in the next 2 months and it will be released before E3. Of course, that DS will be more expensive.

Source? A user in a German Nintendo forum who already told us things about the Revolution that were right ans he still does things like that.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Shiggy said:
The new, flat DS will be presented in the next 2 months and it will be released before E3. Of course, that DS will be more expensive.

Source? A user in a German Nintendo forum who already told us things about the Revolution that were right ans he still does things like that.

[raises a skeptical eyebrow] His name isn't Aries or anything like that, is it?

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Shiggy said:

Does this have anything to do with the schematics released by some chinese guy the other day

Shiggy said:

Link to this person saying things about the Revolution that were right, BEFORE they announced them.

Then people might believe you.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
I want GC to DS compability in the next DS update.
That's my biggest gripe, really.

For some odd reason, I wanna beat FFCC and 4Swords, 'cause I never finished either, and all my friends and I have are DSs now.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
how about the 2nd screen slides up from inside a firmer base, like behind the touch screen?

how cool would that be

0,1425,i=105050,00.jpg

like the phone, the screen rests inside and then slides up.

could make the base a little thick, but if the top screen is thin...
hell, i don't know. I actually kinda like the DS design, so what do I know.

Shiggy

Danthrax said:
[raises a skeptical eyebrow] His name isn't Aries or anything like that, is it?

No, gabriel.

@I <3 Katamari
September 15th:
"Der echte Controller wird einhändig benutzbar sein und hat nur einen Button. Für spezielle Spiele wird es Aufsätze geben ..."

The real controller is useable with one hand and has only one button. For some games there will exist add-ons for the controller.

" Ein neue, innovative dreidimensionale Spielsteuerung mit einem simpel wirkenden Stick."
A new, innovative 3-dimensional game control with a simple looking stick (that add-on).

"Denkt nicht, die Revolution wäre jetzt schon komplett. Das war heute ein wichtiges Teilstück. Weitere Innovationen werden folgen ... Überlegt mal: Welche Oberfläche würde sich denn z.b. für einen dreidimensionalen Pointerstick anbieten?

Don't think the Revolution is complete now. That was the most important piece. More innovations will follow.
Think about it: Which would be ideal for a 3-dimensional Pointer?

Then he told us why the most read magazine in Germany already reported about the controller on the day of the presentation.

Now he said:
"Warum wohl die Chips Namen wie Broadway und Hollywood haben? Wir werden sehen ..."
Why are the chips called Broadway and Hollywood? We'll see...

Maybe he doesn't have any technical knowledge, but he seems to have real information.

Shiggy said:
No, gabriel.

@I <3 Katamari
September 15th:
"Der echte Controller wird einhändig benutzbar sein und hat nur einen Button. Für spezielle Spiele wird es Aufsätze geben ..."

The real controller is useable with one hand and has only one button. For some games there will exist add-ons for the controller.

" Ein neue, innovative dreidimensionale Spielsteuerung mit einem simpel wirkenden Stick."
A new, innovative 3-dimensional game control with a simple looking stick (that add-on).

"Denkt nicht, die Revolution wäre jetzt schon komplett. Das war heute ein wichtiges Teilstück. Weitere Innovationen werden folgen ... Überlegt mal: Welche Oberfläche würde sich denn z.b. für einen dreidimensionalen Pointerstick anbieten?

Don't think the Revolution is complete now. That was the most important piece. More innovations will follow.
Think about it: Which would be ideal for a 3-dimensional Pointer?

Then he told us why the most read magazine in Germany already reported about the controller on the day of the presentation.

Now he said:
"Warum wohl die Chips Namen wie Broadway und Hollywood haben? Wir werden sehen ..."
Why are the chips called Broadway and Hollywood? We'll see...

Maybe he doesn't have any technical knowledge, but he seems to have real information.

Link.

Jacobi

Banned
What is with your translation skills shiggy ?

Think about it: Which surface would be ideal for a 3-dimensional Pointer?

Don't you want to tell the whole truth ? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom