• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Judd Apatow readies 'Knocked Up" spinoff 'This is 40'

Status
Not open for further replies.
67333527.jpg

In "This Is 40," Judd Apatow's "Knocked Up" spinoff due Dec. 21, Pete and Debbie take center stage. The film — Apatow's first directing effort since 2009's "Funny People" — picks up with the family a few years after "Knocked Up." Pete's music label is struggling and Debbie's vanity business, a dress shop staffed by the comely Desi (Megan Fox) and the awkward Jodi (Charlyne Yi), needs to help cover the household budget.

"It's the kind of stuff about marriage that you don't get to see in movies," said Mann, Apatow's real-life wife. (The couple's daughters, Maude and Iris Apatow, now 14 and 9, reprise their "Knocked Up" roles as Paul and Debbie's children.)

"It's about getting older. What the hell happened? Am I making all the right choices? Is this where I'm supposed to be? Is this it? All of those dreams that you had when you were young, all of the possibilities, when you lock into marriage and kids, do the possibilities dwindle or go away?"

In keeping with the rest of Apatow's oeuvre, "This Is 40" relies heavily on improvised comedy. In a Pacific Palisades dress shop last August, on day 40 of the production, Apatow and Mann's rapport as director and star and husband and wife was on full display. Apatow called out one-liners from the director's chair as Mann and Yi riffed a scene about Desi's assets as a saleswoman.

"She's way hotter than me. It's like having Babe Ruth working at your store," Apatow suggested to Mann.

"She's hotter than me," Mann slightly modified the line, with an arched eyebrow. "It's like having Babe Ruth working at your store."

"Judd's behind the monitors listening and watching and writing as we go," Mann said later describing her husband's creative process. "You have to totally surrender and trust that he will catch you and support you."

Paul and Debbie's travails, Mann said, are partly are based on their 14-year marriage. "The good moments are me and Judd."

The bad ones?

"Oh, those are all Paul Rudd and his wife."

Source

Must be pretty damn weird awesome to watch Paul Rudd make out with your wife and take care of your kids.

way more

Those two were the best part of Knocked Up so this sounds great. I love that scene where Rudd gets told his failure of a marriage made the other couple break up, then he pauses for 1 second, then goes out and sings "Happy Birthday" to his daughter.

Paul Rudd and Leslie Mann playing pretty much the same characters they do in every single move. It's a shame he didn't do a 40-Year-Old Virgin sequel, but thank the lord it's not another Funny People.

I'm friends with a woman who's in this and while she can't tell me much, she says it's really great. They're done filming and are already doing test screenings, though, so why the fuck do we have to wait until December!?!

Speevy

Banned
I'd rather them base around the 23 year old idiot who was magically hired into an "internet company".

What's he doing in this economy lol

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Can't stand Mann in anything she's in. Ugh, why does she have to keep showing up in all these movies, oh she's sleeping with the director.

Socreges

Banned
Something along the lines of calling Apatow and his gang misogynistic, unfunny, and crude.
Found it:

“It was a little sexist. It paints the women as shrews, as humorless and uptight, and it paints the men as lovable, goofy, fun-loving guys…I’m playing such a bitch; why is she being such a killjoy? Why is this how you’re portraying women? Ninety-eight percent of the time it was an amazing experience, but it was hard for me to love the movie.”

Interesting. She's not wrong. But you can also flip it on its head and say the film portrays males as irresponsible and insensitive. So, yeah.

Not like this wasn't in the script, though. Or that she didn't promote the movie afterwards.

Dabanton

Paul Rudd= day one for me great comic actor.

damn megan fox's career has fallen all the way off

This is sadly whats happens when you piss off the people who give you jobs. Once she pissed off Spielberg it was a wrap for her.

She can't complain though she was given chances to breakout with her own movies anyone actually see Jonah Hexx? But it seems teen boys her biggest market, will only pay to see her if giant robots are also included. Getting kicked off TF3 must have stuck in her craw all that media exposure going to your replacement.

She's yesterday news now sadly the fickle finger of internet boy lust has moved on the the latest 'hottie'.

"I got Matsui"

Loved knocked up and loved the family in the film so I'll watch this

Huh I wonder if "funny people" bombing was the reason he's been away :p

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
if i was paul rudd i'd turn that shit up to 11 just to watch the other guy squirm a little. lol

Dont you get it....he enjoys it.

On Topic
Movie sounds like a winning formula should be good.

Fry

Who would've thought Paul Rudd was going to be the most successful actor out of the 'Friends' cast?
I'm pretty sure he was considered the 7th 'friend'.

I'm friends with a woman who's in this and while she can't tell me much, she says it's really great. They're done filming and are already doing test screenings, though, so why the fuck do we have to wait until December!?!

The joys of waiting for the marketing machine to ramp up! Also strategic release, etc. I really would prefer the damn thing right now though as it sounds like Apatow is targeting something that would be hugely interesting and hilarious to someone with a fiancée and child.

gdt

Knocked Up is absolutely one of my favorite movies ever, so I wish we'd get more of a sequel (Heigl screwed that up), but I'm still wayyyyyyyyyyy down for this. That family was awesome in the movie.

Daft_Cat

Those two were the best part of Knocked Up so this sounds great. I love that scene where Rudd gets told his failure of a marriage made the other couple break up, then he pauses for 1 second, then goes out and sings "Happy Birthday" to his daughter.

Best moment in Knocked Up.

I should revisit that movie. Really enjoyed it but was slightly put off from rewatching it thanks to all the "here comes the baby" stuff.

EDIT

“It was a little sexist. It paints the women as shrews, as humorless and uptight, and it paints the men as lovable, goofy, fun-loving guys…I’m playing such a bitch; why is she being such a killjoy? Why is this how you’re portraying women? Ninety-eight percent of the time it was an amazing experience, but it was hard for me to love the movie.”

No, Katherine. That was you, not Judd.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Yay, another movie that provides the entire Apatow family a paycheck!

Found it:

Interesting. She's not wrong. But you can also flip it on its head and say the film portrays males as irresponsible and insensitive. So, yeah.

Not like this wasn't in the script, though. Or that she didn't promote the movie afterwards.

Bingo. Knocked Up was awful in so many ways. It basically treated all the characters with disdain. And it had one of those awful third acts where the dumbass lead male magically gets his life together in a montage.

The only good Apatow movie was 40 Year Old Virgin.

Found it:

Lol I didn't know about that. I was hoping her and Seth Rogens character would have a cameo here but i guess she's out of question.

bengraven

I do hope we at least get a few lines about how things are going with the other couple, despite one of that couple having burned bridges and acting like a cunt. I'd like to believe her character is still doing well.

All the backgrounds are CGI done by Lucasfilm and ILM.

--

Also, we blame Knocked Up for my son.

My then-girlfriend and I were spending a week together during a long distance relationship. We went to Knocked Up one night and got drunk after with ended with wall-banging sex.

Six weeks later she found out she was six weeks pregnant. We still keep our Knocked Up tickets in our respective wallets.

And of course this thread already fast evolved into yet another Paul Rudd/GAF love fest

I honestly dont get this. I dont see any reason to hate this guy but I simply fail to see his upside

Plays the same uni dimensional character every movie, flat delivery, no energy, no facial expressions... He's not bad but he's certainly not as great as GAf makes him out to be. He's just plain.

Go ahead, prove me wrong with a clip or something

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom