• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

July Wrasslin' |OT| All this G1 talk is making me Climax.

Sephzilla

96-97 Austin was pretty much a total package. Perfect character, amazing promos, and was really solid in ring.

Bret was a way better in-ring wrestler than Shawn.

Those who put Austin in their fave five, do you make a distinction between pre- and post-injury Austin? I know some people say his ring work is vastly overrated post-injury because he had to tone it down a lot and some mark him down for it.

Mahonay

Banned
96-97 Austin was pretty much a total package. Perfect character, amazing promos, and was really solid in ring.
I get tingles watching some of that stuff. It reminds me why I became obsessed with wrestling once Austin vs Bret got going. 20 years late and it still feels revolutionary.

Sephzilla

Those who put Austin in their fave five, do you make a distinction between pre- and post-injury Austin. I know some people say his ring work is vastly overrated post-injury because he had to tone it down a lot and some mark him down for it.

Post-injury Austin definitely was more limited in the ring but honestly it turned him into more of a straight brawler, which honestly I think helped his Stone Cold persona. Pre-injury Austin was pretty much on the same level as HBK and I'd dare say close to Bret's level.

Taker vs Shawn were always good matches. And at least Shawn got to retire on a fantastic match.

Plus their five star match nearly twenty years ago with the greatest debut of all time daddeh.

rrc1594

It seems Angle doesn't get that high as praise as Austin, Shawn, etc.... I think Angle is S tier in the ring

Edit- My man Mahonay

Zach

tOeLPv8.png

Sephzilla

My All-time Fave Five WWE (not just ring work)

1. Austin
2. Kurt Angle
3. Mick Foley
4. Bret Hart
5. Daniel Bryan

1- Austin
2- Bret
3- Savage
4- Angle
5- Flair

It pisses me off that Savage had to spend his entire career stuck behind Hogan. He was always the way better of the two

Isn't the Hart/Michael's iron man considered overrated? I feel like I recall during my Lapsed Fan run of Mania specials Meltzer discussing how that match was actually pretty boring the crowd was not into at all.

Isn't the Hart/Michael's iron man considered overrated? I feel like I recall during my Lapsed Fan run of Mania specials Meltzer discussing how that match was actually pretty boring the crowd was not into at all.
I read a summary of the observer dealing with the match (since Meltz was there in person) and he said people in the arena were pretty bored since trying to get a bunch of people to watch an hour long match with no falls was boring the kids mainly and that it was a match more exciting to watch at home.

Zach

What's funny is that my first or second favorite match of all-time (Cena vs. Punk at MITB 2011) has two guys I wouldn't put in my favorite five or even ten wrestlers ever.

Crowd was leaving during the match.

Led to the famous Vince quote about how he'd rather have a half full arena cheering the guy he wanted them to cheer than have a full arena cheering whoever they wanted to.

Anth0ny

Yeah, apparently people were leaving to head home like 15 minutes in.

The same show where Vince supposedly uttered this now famous line: "I'd rather have a half full stadium there for who I want than a full stadium of people cheering for who they want."

Seafood is for ultra marks.

Imagine eating things that breathe with water.

*edit* I just realised it is 4:30 AM and I have drank close to a quart of vodka.

Tomorrow/today will be ultra shit.

So obviously, Wrestlemania 12 is in the books and Dave was there live and in person. He says the iron man match, with all its rest holds, actually bored a lot of the crowd (most of whom were seemingly only there to see the return of Ultimate Warrior) and that people were actually leaving during the main event. He wouldn't say they were leaving in droves, but enough people left that, by the end of the match, there were a few thousand empty seats. A lot of people went to get snacks during the early part of the match, since they knew they would be wrestling for an hour. Halfway through, when it started to become apparent that there weren't going to be any falls, a lot of fans began booing every near-fall and rest hold. Dave has since watched it back and says it was an excellent match to watch on TV, but live, the audience just couldn't have cared less. It was a great match, but the WWF-hype calling it the greatest match of all time is over the top. Dave doesn't even think it was the best title match WWF has ever had and says it wasn't even in the same league as the famous Flair/Steamboat hour-long matches that people are comparing it to.

People turning up for Warrior and getting the two minute squash.

Sephzilla

Absofuckinglutely. Dude was ahead of his time when it comes to character work.

Dude was extremely ahead of his time with character work and he was actually quite smart when it came to in-ring storytelling. What's kind of sad is that his most famous moment in wrestling is being on the receiving end of the Austin 3:16 promo

Japan is #FakeNews

fKfzh1K.gif

Zach bringing back his heel gimmick?

Top Bottom