• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June Wrasslin' |OT| Powered by Bluekaveli

THE LADS

Ck_Z875UkAMm_x_.jpg

Ck_ZotmUUAAvVbm.jpg

klonere

Banned
Joey Styles pulling the "plausible deniability" defence for the violent excess of ECW. Always a good, rational conversation that.

As for AJPW spoilers

Akiyama named as the next challenger for the PS Triple Crown. It's gonna be lit

Ithil

That reminds me of the ring announcer at NXT yesterday, so cloying saccharine, so robotic, so lacking in anything, Literally an attractive warm body that read lines off a page.

For all WWE's faults right now the creation of NXT probably has saved them an even bigger drop off in popularity than they are experiencing now. 95% of the crowd were still bought into the whole NXT *shudder* counter culture, organic brand thing, like they were the cool rebels who hated the Ramen Rings and "Fuck PG". So they run smaller venues, with a cheaper roster, with the same priced merch and equally expensive tickets. Genius.
On the other hand I thought Dillinger did well with his pre-match promo.

I think they could have revised that WM 33 ad after this past weekend, advertising WM in "a magical place where anything can happen" then zooming in on Orlando.

Data as on the Jeff Cobb train early when they announced that he was going to be The Monster Matanza Cueto. In honor of Lucha Underground tonight, I checked out Jeff Cobb vs. Adam Thornstowe from SPW's 16th Anniversary show earlier this year. If you want to see Cobb in a longer match than his character will allow in Lucha Underground, this is the match to see. He survives a Super Dragon-style ghetto stomp and shows off his own athleticism and incredible power.

Look at this!

Look at it!

klonere

Banned
Data as on the Jeff Cobb train early when they announced that he was going to be The Monster Matanza Cueto. In honor of Lucha Underground tonight, I checked out Jeff Cobb vs. Adam Thornstowe from SPW's 16th Anniversary show earlier this year. If you want to see Cobb in a longer match than his character will allow in Lucha Underground, this is the match to see. He survives a Super Dragon-style ghetto stomp and shows off his own athleticism and incredible power.

Look at this!

Look at it!

Oh my god that first gif. What the fuck.

Jamie OD

Well NXT feels like it could lose a lot of momentum and stop being a cool thing this year. Plus its still unclear if NXT touring covers the expenses of the PC, its staff and NXT wrestlers.

It doesn't help that there is a lot of uncertainty over what NXT will be like a year from now. Fans are getting restless for Balor's graduation to the main roster. No one knows how many will get called up for the brand split. Everyone's afraid of how Bayley will be handled if she ever moves up to the main shows. The PC has developed very few stars who hadn't already made their name elsewhere. Creative has taken a big hit ever since Ryan Ward's writing duties moved to Smackdown and Dusty died. There's even an identity crisis over whether it's priority should be as a developmental or a third brand.

I don't want to be all doom and gloom about NXT because I do still enjoy it at the current state it's in. It is awesome seeing what known talent they bring in next. The show last night was a lot of fun and the Takeovers still deliver.

klonere

Banned
It doesn't help that there is a lot of uncertainty over what NXT will be like a year from now. Fans are getting restless for Balor's graduation to the main roster. No one knows how many will get called up for the brand split. Everyone's afraid of how Bayley will be handled if she ever moves up to the main shows. The PC has developed very few stars who hadn't already made their name elsewhere. Creative has taken a big hit ever since Ryan Ward's writing duties moved to Smackdown and Dusty died. There's even an identity crisis over whether it's priority should be as a developmental or a third brand.

I don't want to be all doom and gloom about NXT because I do still enjoy it at the current state it's in. It is awesome seeing what known talent they bring in next. The show last night was a lot of fun and the Takeovers still deliver.

They can say all they want but when you put out Hugo Knox, Peyton Royce, No Way Jose and Nia Jax out on tour, you are still developmental (The Aries/Jose match was very close to coming apart at the seams at certain points, as was the women's tag).

All those names have potential but they need a lot of work as is so they can spout off as much as they want about it being a third brand but its still developmental in essence and will become even more so after the big callups. Which will doubly hurt the brands identity crisis as they scramble to get more indie talents to fill the gaps, making NXT even more of a super indie rather than a place characters get made like the 4 Horsewomen, Sami, Tyler, Tye, Alpha etc.

NXT is definitely in a very awkward place right now.

What do you do when you can't get booked on Raw? Start hawking teeth whitening systems on Twitter.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BGqFogEHOm3/

#carnylife

It's gone, who was it?

Fake Edit: Never mind Google answered the question for me, it was Sasha.

Poor Debbie, didn't she talk about it during the Chris Benoit situation?

IIRC she was trotted out to talk about roid rage.

They can say all they want but when you put out Hugo Knox, Peyton Royce, No Way Jose and Nia Jax out on tour, you are still developmental (The Aries/Jose match was very close to coming apart at the seams at certain points, as was the women's tag).

All those names have potential but they need a lot of work as is so they can spout off as much as they want about it being a third brand but its still developmental in essence and will become even more so after the big callups. Which will doubly hurt the brands identity crisis as they scramble to get more indie talents to fill the gaps, making NXT even more of a super indie rather than a place characters get made like the 4 Horsewomen, Sami, Tyler, Tye, Alpha etc.

NXT is definitely in a very awkward place right now.

Peyton Royce has been wrestling for like six or seven years, she's not like the other three there who started training at the PC, she needs to be given something to actually work with and help develop a personality, she and Billie Kay (whose already been at this for like nine years) should be partners as they have been at some events since they're from the same place and went to the same high school.

Honestly I probably wouldn't hate NXT getting an additional 15-30 minutes, is NXT still on TV anywhere? It was in the UK last I checked.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Brock Lesnar boasted in an ESPN interview that he was “the modern-day Bo Jackson” after announcing his return to the UFC after spending the past four years as a professional wrestler.

But the man he compared himself to isn't at all familiar with Lesnar.

"I don't even know who Brock Lesnar is, man, Jackson said when approached by TMZ.

The former NFL Pro Bowler and MLB All-Star was a superstar in the '80s and '90s when he was a dominant force in both sports. But when it comes to Lesnar, Jackson was clueless.Former UFC heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar fights Mark Hunt on July 9 in Las Vegas. (Getty)

"I don't watch [UFC and pro wrestling],” Jackson said. “If I didn't make money in it, I don't know nothing about it."

Bo knows burial

Pikma

Banned
This is why Vince won't change. Vince changed because the audience actually left him and stopped giving him money. When you pay $9.99 to watch Nakamura matches, you're giving the OK to push Reigns. When you pay $100 for a RAW ticket to cheer Cesaro and boo Reigns, you're giving him the OK to push Reigns. When you pay $30 for a Samoa Joe t-shirt, you're giving him the OK to push Reigns.

Watch ROH. Buy some New Japan shirts. Go to a local indy show. If another people do that, Vince will actually change. Until then, he'll laugh to the bank as people complain on Reddit, but then link to WWE's Youtube page because there's a cool video with Sasha Banks in it.
I could not give two fucks about what Vince's evil final goal is, if I enjoy something I'll just pay for it and watch it, and I'll stop doing it the moment I'm no longer able to enjoy their product, but not because I want to "send them a message", but because I won't be interested in it anymore.

klonere

Banned
Peyton Royce has been wrestling for like six or seven years, she needs to be given something to actually work with and help develop a personality, she and Billie Kay (whose already been at this for like nine years) should be partners as they have been at some events since they're from the same place and went to the same high school.

I've seen her entire NXT run and man does she not come off like this is a fact at all. Yikes.

Rewatching No Way Out 2004, Lesnar in full on heel mode cutting a promo on Eddie Guerrero describing him as being like an illegal immigrant come to steal American jobs. Great match as well, I really miss Eddie.

With Trump running around pissing minorities off and generally being a racist asshole, this angle feels quite relevant despite how long ago this was.

Zach

Perhaps they should have listened to the lyrics of Real American.

I am a real American.
Fight for the rights of every white man.
I am a real American.
fight for what's right, fight for the sanctity of life!

When it comes crashing down, and it hurts inside.
You gotta take a stand against minorities, it don't help to hide.
Well, you hurt my friends, and you hurt my pride,
I gotta be a man; I can't let it slide.

I am a real American.
I am a real American.

I feel strong about right and wrong,
And I don't take trouble for very long,
I got something deep inside of me.
Hatred is the thing that keeps us free.

I am a real American.
I am a real American.

I am a real American.
I am a real American.

I am a real American.
I am a real American.

I am a real American.
I am a real American.

Joe Hendry should sing this version at ICW.

Browny

Banned
I am a real American.
I am a real American.

I am a real American.
I am a real American.

I am a real American.
I am a real American.

Better hope that Trump isn't on Gaf... He'll write that shit up straight away.

I could not give two fucks about what Vince's evil final goal is, if I enjoy something I'll just pay for it and watch it, and I'll stop doing it the moment I'm no longer able to enjoy their product, but not because I want to "send them a message", but because I won't be interested in it anymore.

That's fine, but people should stop acting like booing Roman Reigns at sold out PPV's is going to change the booking.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Fave Five Athletes That Would Have Worked Out as Pro Wrasslers

1. Dennis Rodman
2. Mike Tyson
3. Lawrence Taylor
4. Bill Laimbeer
5. Mark Messier

Ali's too easy

It's gone, who was it?

Fake Edit: Never mind Google answered the question for me, it was Sasha.

IIRC she was trotted out to talk about roid rage.

Peyton Royce has been wrestling for like six or seven years, she's not like the other three there who started training at the PC, she needs to be given something to actually work with and help develop a personality, she and Billie Kay (whose already been at this for like nine years) should be partners as they have been at some events since they're from the same place and went to the same high school.

Honestly I probably wouldn't hate NXT getting an additional 15-30 minutes, is NXT still on TV anywhere? It was in the UK last I checked.
Right, she linked the uses of steroids and substance abuse to his possible death. She gave something saying Austin abused her three times, gee wiz. I just want to know what was going on in his head at this time.

Jimmy Rave vs. Kyle Matthews from NWA Smoky Mountain's Smokey Mountain Cup is another fine match between the two. It's a very different taste of wrestling than Jeff Cobb vs. Adam Thornstowe, but it's a very solid southern independent style wrestling match. Matthews is a little smaller than he was last year, and the production from NWA Smoky Mountain is a lot better than Atlanta Wrestling Entertainment's.

Vicious looking STO on the apron from Rave:

High dropkick from Matthews:

Fave Five Athletes That Would Have Worked Out as Pro Wrasslers

1. Dennis Rodman
2. Mike Tyson
3. Lawrence Taylor
4. Bill Laimbeer
5. Mark Messier

Ali's too easy

Adding to this current athletes who would make good wrestlers.

Daniel Cormier
Fabricio Werdum - natural charisma, trollface smile - goofy heel
Ben Rothwell

klonere

Banned
Irish folks in the thread could attest to Roy Keane being a GOAT promo and amazing character that would fit right into wrestling.

Right, she linked the uses of steroids and substance abuse to his possible death. She gave something saying Austin abused her three times, gee wiz. I just want to know what was going on in his head at this time.

Not excusing Steve at all - don't beat your fucking wife full stop. But the times I've heard him speak on it was towards the end of his WWF run he was "wound up real tight", drinking heavily, drugs probably, stretched thin by being on top of the most insane/arduous period of wrestling in history. Thus like a REAL MAN instead of talking out the problems or going to see someone about them or go on medication he decided to get some physical activity by beating his wife.

klonere

Banned
Man's not afraid to go into business for himself either - that tackle on Haaland was a definite shoot.

- In 2002 Stone Cold walked out of WWF due to frustration with his working environment and management.
- In 2002 Roy Keane walked out of the Irish World Cup squad due to frustration with his working environment and management.

CnabKgr.gif

Irish folks in the thread could attest to Roy Keane being a GOAT promo and amazing character that would fit right into wrestling.

Not excusing Steve at all - don't beat your fucking wife full stop. But the times I've heard him speak on it was towards the end of his WWF run he was "wound up real tight", drinking heavily, drugs probably, stretched thin by being on top of the most insane/arduous period of wrestling in history. Thus like a REAL MAN instead of talking out the problems or going to see someone about them or go on medication he decided to get some physical activity by beating his wife.
Fuck, no woman deserves that and Austin was still a pretty cut guy too. It's so crazy because on TV you'd see behaviour between the two characters that would have you believe he got stuck into his role on tv too much.

klonere

Banned
Fuck, no woman deserves that and Austin was still a pretty cut guy too. It's so crazy because on TV you'd see behaviour between the two characters that would have you believe he got stuck into his role on tv too much.

Yeah, the insanity of the time had to get to him.When you are out there playing the 90s version of a "Man's man" every night of the week, its gotta seep back over into your regular self.

Lucky he didn't end up like a Flair or something, seems like he is in a very happy and committed relationship and has evened out.

Top Bottom