• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JURASSIC WORLD to invent fictional 'DARTH DIABOLUS REX' as new threat

Status
Not open for further replies.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Sounds fun! do it up right and it'll be legit scary as fuck. just a giant ass predator hunting people down.

RetroMG

You know, when it started, it sounded good. Genetically modified Dinosaurs to be bigger and scarier to draw in tourists and provide a bigger eventual threat? Great. Crossbreeding with other dinosaurs and animals to make it happen? Okay, a little weird, but in keeping with the general pseudoscience of the franchise.

But once you get into the laundry list of special abilities from different species, it starts to sound like a five year olds superhero idea.

Phoenix

e0336e32fad161eb9dc3b145c94aca5bcc4923be41376e8ef0975c44e8b5e880.jpg

TargetDummy81

Neo Member
Considering the main problem in the previous movies usually revolved around the Raptors in some way I dunno why anyone would think making a T-Rex similarly as smart would be good. Particularly given the increased strength and size with camouflage on top of it.

I have gotten used to the idea of the evil corporate business man in movies but at this point anything involving Raptors will probably be detrimental to the success of your money making park.

Although a jerk mad scientist doing it on his own isn't necessarily following orders by said businessmen. Who knows maybe he fudged the truth or didn't disclose exactly what all it could do until it got loose.

Sounds fucking stupid.

It is stupid. That's the point. This movie is about a dinosaur theme park that is actually going well until some asshats decide that they can get more money by experimenting with gene splicing, which I feel is a really cool scientific element that can belong in the franchise.

Cinders

I mean, if you think about it, Diabolous Rex doesn't sound much more ridiculous than Tyrannosaurus Rex.

That being said, they're making up dinosaurs now? I just want a straight-up dinosaur movie. I don't like this hybrid nonsense.

That being said, they're making up dinosaurs now? I just want a straight-up dinosaur movie. I don't like this hybrid nonsense.

They've created one dinosaur in hopes of bringing more people in by splicing together different species, and apparently it's what causes things to go to complete shit. The rest of the dinosaurs are seemingly "normal" dinosaurs like we've always seen in the films. Gene splicing isn't some science fiction bullshit.

I think it's awesome that they're bringing in other scientific elements into the story such as gene splicing. I think Jurassic Park is about science and not completely about dinosaurs. It's about what can be done by scientists vs. whether or not they should be done, at least based on the first film. I don't think it's entirely fair to argue Jurassic World's ideas against the original Jurassic Park novel's ideas as Jurassic World is a different theme park with different people running it.

I mean, if you think about it, Diabolous Rex doesn't sound much more ridiculous than Tyrannosaurus Rex.

I imagine if we did get a pure dinosaur movie nowadays it would still be based on JP1. Most film makers don't seem to even care about the numerous and important discoveries paleontologist have made since 1993. :/
We still get "hairless" 1950s Pterosaurs, and featherless theropods for crying out load.

The best we can hope for are really good documentaries. :p

I had a bad feeling we were going to get mutant dinos. But this...

-disinterested-GIF.gif

Read the full story and, trained "good" dinos?

Nevermind, just let the franchise die peacefully instead of taking ONE BIG PILE OF SHIT on it.

Would of been cooler if they did the DNA splicing, it broke free and started wrecking havoc, and later in the movie you find out they mistakenly create the world's first dragon.

bengraven

Fuck it, if we're going to make a "rad" dinosaur movie, we might as well add guns to them and have the trained dinos have like talking voice boxes like they wanted before.

Cut this cast though, this movie needs Stallone and the Expendables guys and music by Korn n' shit. Fuck yeah.

Overreaction to this news is ridiculous. Not a fan of the the name of the D-Rex but I feel like it ties in pretty well to Wu's character in the books and how he was fighting for the dinosaurs to be more marketable but Hammond wanted them to be real.

This is under a new corporation, and assuming that they're the bad guys, this is gonna be some profit hungry executive or owner letting Wu do whatever it takes to make a bigger profit. And the tame dinosaurs thing is also overblown, they are not gonna be friends to the humans I guarantee it. I bet it's more like how an orca is trained. They are dangerous creatures, but the idiots who decide they are friends are gravely mistaken when one goes rogue.

Or it's going to be more of a conditioning oriented thing, where the dinosaurs are conditioned to chill the fuck out when they do something dangerous.

Still hyped for the movie, and really glad it is going back to sci-fi versus summer blockbuster rollercoaster rides. We got JP3 because of that, now hopefully we can get back to the serie's main theme, that playing god is bad and will have repercussions.

Dryk

I look forward to it being defeated when it eats another dinosaur whole and has to sit down and digest for a month

Blader

I think when you create your own vicious dinosaur and name it Diabolus Rex...you deserve what happens next.

They've created one dinosaur in hopes of bringing more people in by splicing together different species, and apparently it's what causes things to go to complete shit. The rest of the dinosaurs are seemingly "normal" dinosaurs like we've always seen in the films. Gene splicing isn't some science fiction bullshit.

I think it's awesome that they're bringing in other scientific elements into the story such as gene splicing. I think Jurassic Park is about science and not completely about dinosaurs. It's about what can be done by scientists vs. whether or not they should be done, at least based on the first film. I don't think it's entirely fair to argue Jurassic World's ideas against the original Jurassic Park novel's ideas as Jurassic World is a different theme park with different people running it.

If Jurassic Park was really about what science can do, there'd be no Jurassic Park. :p

Still hyped for the movie, and really glad it is going back to sci-fi versus summer blockbuster rollercoaster rides. We got JP3 because of that, now hopefully we can get back to the serie's main theme, that playing god is bad and will have repercussions.

Hell even Jurassic Park 3 acknowledged that, Grant even deliberately has this line: "No, this is how you play God." Jurassic Park has always been about humans figuring things out scientifically and then applying them to making attractions, or money. Hammond was pure and had a dream about real dinosaurs and people being able to experience that. The Lost World was about how can we capitalize on that; what mistakes did Hammond make when it comes to money, as implied by Ludlow "you don't bring people to a zoo... you bring the zoo to them!" so they thought it was a great idea to bring a T-Rex to fucking San Diego.

Jurassic World's experiments and gene splicing fits perfectly into these themes: the people 'in charge" of this stuff are making moronic decisions in favor of the buck, and it backfires on them. Creating "Diabolus Rex" is as ridiculous as the name itself, and that's what seemingly ruins Jurassic World.

If Jurassic Park was really about what science can do, there'd be no Jurassic Park. :p

What I mean is that Jurassic Park is about people thinking that since they understand a bit about science that they can create things and control said things that they actually can't control. In this case it seems that they have established better security and control, hence the advanced park and the dinosaurs that have been domesticated through genetics and training ensuring a safer environment that is going to be unraveled by a creation that shouldn't exist.

John Hammond: I don't think you're giving us our due credit. Our scientists have done things which nobody's ever done before...

Ian Malcolm: Yeah, yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, that they didn't stop to think if they should.

valeo

I like how everyone is saying this 'made up' dinosaur is BAT SHIT CRAZY but the whole cloning of dinosaurs makes complete sense.

I look forward to the Jason Bourne-esque shaky can fight scene involving the D-Rex destroying FIVE T-Rex (because more is better and you need to out do Peter Jackson's ridiculous 3 T-Rex King Kong fight scene), eventually unhinging its jaw to swallow one of them whole. All set to Down With the Sickness blaring in the background

Cinders

I agree, gene splicing as the next step in exploring what science can do versus what it should do is definitely interesting, and it continues the theme set up in the first movie, especially with the inserted frog DNA allowing dinosaurs to switch genders.

I guess my main concern is how believable they make it. I would imagine biologists called bullshit on a lot of things in Jurassic Park, but to me, the science in it sounded plausible. The D-Rex kind of strains that credulity. I guess it depends on how they introduce it.

happypup

Overreaction to this news is ridiculous. Not a fan of the the name of the D-Rex but I feel like it ties in pretty well to Wu's character in the books and how he was fighting for the dinosaurs to be more marketable but Hammond wanted them to be real.

This is under a new corporation, and assuming that they're the bad guys, this is gonna be some profit hungry executive or owner letting Wu do whatever it takes to make a bigger profit. And the tame dinosaurs thing is also overblown, they are not gonna be friends to the humans I guarantee it. I bet it's more like how an orca is trained. They are dangerous creatures, but the idiots who decide they are friends are gravely mistaken when one goes rogue.

Or it's going to be more of a conditioning oriented thing, where the dinosaurs are conditioned to chill the fuck out when they do something dangerous.

As was mentioned before, Wu wanted docility, slowness, something that would confirm the false image people had of dinosaurs at the time. It is not exactly inline with his character as he is not portrayed as a mad scientist.

There are some interesting story routes they could go with this setup. For one they could revisit the themes addressed in JP about control and chaos. They could revisit the themes in JP about moral practices in science (thinking about whether we should). They could visit the themes of consumerism and a need for greater spectacle. They could do all of these things without an impossible creature (a reference to that rts game) just as easily.

What they will do is deliver a spectacle film largely devoid of any real substance that will make a small fortune (probably).

I guess my main concern is how believable they make it. I would imagine biologists called bullshit on a lot of things in Jurassic Park, but to me, the science in it sounded plausible. The D-Rex kind of strains that credulity. I guess it depends on how they introduce it.

Absolutely know what you mean. I want it to feel organic and not seem ridiculous. If it's legitimately dumb and not handled well, fine, the internet wins and I'll bite that bullet, but I would like to think that the filmmakers know what they're doing. I'll just say that this interests me a lot more than if it was just a new park but with the same exact thing and nothing shady or different going on. This sounds like the element that will introduce new problems and arguments among the characters in the film as well as the general reason why "Jurassic World" doesn't work.

In the first film, what I loved about that was that they feel like they're safe in their science. Oh, we've made it so that the dinosaurs can't breed, they're all female! But then what happens is that they were so hastily ready about getting this park going that one person that they hired was shady as fuck and decided to sabotage the entire park so that he could steal embryos and rake in the big bucks. However, let's assume that doesn't happen and that all the employees are awesome. That still doesn't cover the ramifications of what might have happened since the scientists were seemingly unable to realize that some frogs were "able to spontaneously change sex from male to female in a single-sex environment." There were other issues too that were deliberate such as "how many times have I told you that we need LOCKING mechanisms on the vehicle doors!?" I mean, as I grew older and rewatched the film, that started to stand out to me more which made me think wow, these people are fucking idiots.

It was about how not all scientific variables were not taken into consideration and how that even without Nedry's sabotage or this or that, that the park would have likely ended up... well, not good. Now, presumably in Jurassic World, they've did a better job, they've successfully created a safe theme park where people can come and check out dinosaurs to their heart's content. But what's the catalyst to ruin this park? If everything's perfect and they're in control, what's the variable that slips past them that creates havoc and failure? It's their inability to be satisfied with what they have going on which leads to Frankensaurus.

Daingurse

Not invented, just changed near beyond recognition.

800px-Dilophosaurus_wetherilli_2.jpg

(note at the time there was no evidence Dilophosaurus had these downy feathers, now it is pretty well established they did)

Christ, and Dilophosaurus was far larger than what was shown in Jurassic Park.

Lamel

Banned
Diabolus Rex.

It's as if they knew in advance it would end up fucking them over, so they decided to name it accordingly.

Toa TAK

Banned
Universal: I don't think you're giving us our due credit. Our Trevorrow has done things which nobody's ever done before...

Paleontologists: Yeah, yeah, but your director was so preoccupied with whether or not he could, that he didn't stop to think if he should.
Fixed for scientific accuracy.

Goldrush

Silly me for thinking the Jurassic series was suppose to have dinosaur in it. Turns out Jurassic World is just a kaiju movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom