• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just Beat Final Fantasy IX for the First Time! (So y'know, spoilers)

jaxword

I know there are people out there that like Lightning (I've been told they exist somewhere), but the BEST female character in any Final Fantasy series to me is Freya. She's fantastic as both a story component and because she's an extremely valuable asset for her Dragoon like abilities.

Was just about to say this. Lightning feels like a failed reiteration of an archetype they already had down pat with Freya.

Yes, she is. She is also one of the best-looking characters in the entire franchise.

S-E is yet to create a female character as awesome as her.

That's a strange sentiment...her story revolves around her boyfriend and she vanishes from the plot about 1/2 of the way through the game after the Riverdancing.

Kirlia

Banned
That's a strange sentiment...her story revolves around her boyfriend and she vanishes from the plot about 1/2 of the way through the game after the Riverdancing.

It's a shame that the game more or less forgets about her.
Which is what Sir Fratley does at well, even if he falls for her again. This game honestly just takes a huge crap on her from beginning to near-end.
Still one of my favorite underrated FF characters, though.

Rozart

Yes, yes, yes. Agreed! You have good taste, OP. FF9 is definitely my favourite mainline FF entry as well.

The cast was so varied, diverse and just terrific overall. Loved the optional side quests/secrets (with the Chocobo mini games and the Moogle mail) that they put in as well. Loved the world/setting too. Gaia was such an interesting world to explore-- the town designs were gorgeous.

Never understood why the game wasn't as well-received back then.

Fou-Lu

Now that I've finished IX I am trying to decide whether to move on with the series and play X, to play FFCC again having all the references to IX in mind, or just finish one of the other billions of RPGs in my backlog.

Mzo

I wish FF would go back to something like the amazing art style of FF9 =[

Realistic isn't always better.

FFIX is the most unpretentious entry in the the whole series

I want to post the piano version of Uematsu's "Unrequited Love" but I'm on my phone. Makes me cry every single time.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
All Black Mages are designated a number, as you discover in Black Mage Village.

Vivi's was 66 (VIVI), which - judging by his naïveté - he must have mistaken as his name.

*mind fucking blown*

I love the game, except for the out of nowhere "Suddenly; Necron" final boss.

Tizoc

^SON OF A BITCH, I NEVER THOUGHT OF THAT!

I feel as if Freya's story and character was not fleshed out well after the Cleyra incident. They don't bring up Fratley and Freya's relationship until the endgame after that. Inbetween Freya is like just taging along.

Fun fact: I never knew Freya and her race were rats until years later. I always assumed they were dragons XD

grimmiq

Playing through this now on my Vita, I remember buying it as it was released back on PS1, but I kinda ragequit towards the end of the game when I apparently forgot to buy -aga staff(s), which I recall get lost on the last disc, making Vivi completely worthless.

I don't mind the art style, but I definitely wouldn't want all mainline games to have chibi/deformed characters.

Z..

Finished it for the first time a month or so ago. Agreed.
Tied with VI for best FF. Soooooooo much better than VII. Doesn't get the love it deserves.

My favorite.
Need to buy another memory card for the Vita for US account so I can download the american version and forget the slow motion PAL version.

Jonnax

I wish FF would go back to something like the amazing art style of FF9 =[

Realistic isn't always better.

Are the new games all that realistic? They feel like realistic styled anime. Though that's probably where they are going to continue heading if their Agni Philosophising demo is anything to go by.

There's probably more mass appeal in it.

ocean

Banned
I just got back to it a few months back and it's amazing. I'm not sure I'd have the patience to play through the entire game at its original battle speed though. It's the only serious blemish in what's otherwise an extraordinary RPG.

spoilers:

It still kind of amuses me that a lot of people have no idea Vivi was dead by the time the ending took place. It's kind of subtle about it with the way the text is done and is made a bit more obvious in the JP version.

Wait, what? Isn't he still around at the ending? At what point does he die? Do you mean like symbolically or literally?

Anyway, love this game for many reasons. Kuja is a great villain, Zidane a really likeable protagonist, I like the relationship between Steiner and Beatrix, it's got excellent humour and my favourite art style as well. Such a wonderful game; reading this makes me want to boot up my Vita and play it again.

Vivi's was 66 (VIVI), which - judging by his naïveté - he must have mistaken as his name.

Vivi's dead in the ending
and now this?! I.. I think I might need to lay down for awhile.

Sadist

Wait, what? Isn't he still around at the ending? At what point does he die? Do you mean like symbolically or literally?

Anyway, love this game for many reasons. Kuja is a great villain, Zidane a really likeable protagonist, I like the relationship between Steiner and Beatrix, it's got excellent humour and my favourite art style as well. Such a wonderful game; reading this makes me want to boot up my Vita and play it again.
No, his "kids". When Puck (Prince of Burmecia) Returns to Alexandria, he bumps into "Vivi". The latter gives him a hug and tells him he heard so much about him. Puck is confused and asks why he's acting so weird. They met before. That's not the case, because he is his kid! A bunch of Vivi's walk onto the screen and Puck is like what??? In the game it's explained that Black Mages come to "stop" between three and six months after production. The only Black Mage known to have a longer lifespan is Vivi, who is a prototype. But how long he'll live is not known. When the game ends, it's implied that he died some time before everyone Returns to Alexandria.

Aeneas

Need to buy another memory card for the Vita for US account so I can download the american version and forget the slow motion PAL version.

The PAL slowdown is also bothering me.. I have been planing to replay this for years. I guess buying it on the us ps3 store is also an option.

No, his "kids". When Puck (Prince of Burmecia) Returns to Alexandria, he bumps into "Vivi". The latter gives him a hug and tells him he heard so much about him. Puck is confused and asks why he's acting so weird. They met before. That's not the case, because he is his kid! A bunch of Vivi's walk onto the screen and Puck is like what??? In the game it's explained that Black Mages come to "stop" between three and six months after production. The only Black Mage known to have a longer lifespan is Vivi, who is a prototype. But how long he'll live is not known. When the game ends, it's implied that he died some time before everyone Returns to Alexandria.

:'(

Why do you do this to me, Gaf? I'm gonna be a mess for the rest of the day now.

Banzai

I've always wondered...how does Vivi have kids? Just..how? and with whom?
I find it hilarious to imagine Kuja designing Black Mages with penises and vaginas.

Tizoc

I find it hilarious to imagine Kuja designing Black Mages with penises and vaginas.

They're just Vivi's kids, how they came to be is unimportant.

Well more than that.

The whole ending text, the white text overlay in the middle of the screen, is a letter from Vivi to the rest of the part, and if you read it with him in mind you get that implication.

When I first played it I had no idea who was saying the dialogue, I assumed it might be Zidane but stylistically it didn't feel like stuff he wound say. They really should've made it more obvious who was saying it.

I just assumed he created more black mages in the same way that Kuja created them. Like maybe the black mage village discovered the secrets of their own creation and moved forward with propagating the species on their own.

The PAL slowdown is also bothering me.. I have been planing to replay this for years. I guess buying it on the us ps3 store is also an option.

Yeah but I need this game on my Vita. Fucking account system...

Well more than that.

The whole ending text, the white text overlay in the middle of the screen, is a letter from Vivi to the rest of the part, and if you read it with him in mind you get that implication.

When I first played it I had no idea who was saying the dialogue, I assumed it might be Zidane but stylistically it didn't feel like stuff he wound say. They really should've made it more obvious who was saying it.

Hm, wasn't aware of that though I do remember thinking that it didn't seem like it was Zidane.

Joining the love-in here. It's my second-favourite after FFVI, like I've seen several people mention. IX just feels like a love-letter to the franchise. It's packed with throw-backs and references to the older games. The characters, art and music are some of the best in the genre to me.

Vivi is my favourite lil' man in the game, but I think a lot of it is due to how much I liked the Black Mages in general in this. They looked really cool and were a force to be reckoned with, but they lived the most tragic existence in faceless slavery. The scene where the Black Waltz attacks the airship especially breaks my heart. That image of a distraught Vivi staring at the Black Mages plummeting down in slow motion is forever etched into my mind.

Sadist

Well more than that.

Oh, I always imagined that the ending text wasn't just Vivi, but everyone adding their thanks towards Zidane for being there for them. Eiko thanking him for not being alone anymore, Steiner being grateful that he opened his eyes and turning him into less of a stick in the mud etc. And Vivi thanking everyone, Zidane in particular.

Played it four times already and everytime I stop after disc 1. Not because it isn't interesting, but there is always a game pulling me away from it and then I forget about it. And after that it takes a while before I get to the game again and I just start over. (think I know disc one out of my head now) :( Never going to finish the game, am I... :(

Furthest I got was on my first playthrough at the beginning of disc 3...

Someday...

I just assumed that they founds ways to make more black mages and that Vivi raised those ones, not that he was their biological father.

Well, 66 is not represented by "VIVI" in roman numbers. Maybe Vivi was smarter than you think. ;)

Tizoc

Well, 66 is not represented by "VIVI" in roman numbers. Maybe Vivi was smarter than you think. ;)

Remember that this is Japan and in turn Square we're talking about.
Kingdom_Hearts_HD_2.5_Remix_logo.jpg

They don' giv a fuck brah~

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Far and away the best in the series... what a beautiful game.

My fiancèe mentioned she loved the name "Vivi" if we have a baby girl eventually. She has no idea why I'm such a fan of her suggestion :D

Meteorain

I used to always state FF8 was my favourite even after having playing IX. However after a replay many years later I came to realise that IX did indeed reign supreme over all other FFs.

The characters, the setting, the beautiful artistic direction and superb music score are all fantastic. I still remember the first time the entering of Lindblum FMV played. It blew my mind.

It also helps that Vivi is the greatest.

Vivi is my favourite lil' man in the game, but I think a lot of it is due to how much I liked the Black Mages in general in this. They looked really cool and were a force to be reckoned with, but they lived the most tragic existence in faceless slavery. The scene where the Black Waltz attacks the airship especially breaks my heart. That image of a distraught Vivi staring at the Black Mages plummeting down in slow motion is forever etched into my mind.

I was just thinking it would be great if someone made a .webM of that scene where he sees them fall out of the airship and then loses his shit and goes full tilt on the other airships.

The mentioning of scratched discs brings up hateful memories. Multi-disc PS1 games always seemed to have a problem of getting scratched. That's the very reason why I haven't been able to play FFIX for about 3 or more years now.It is my favorite game of all time.

Top Bottom