• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just Cause 3 Dev Diary: The Engine

Speaking of the driving, the physics look night and day better. Should make all of the races and daredevil jumps fun.

I forgot about my GIF.

qpn5O61.gif

Anyone who has an early copy download the patch yet? I still can't get to download the day 1 patch. It says the latest version is already installed and that is version 1.0

UrbanRats

Unfortunately I feel the same. Watched 20 mins of the Giant Bomb lets play the other day and had just lost interest by then.

One of the main things that I'm skeptical of is the new wingsuit. It just looks like it will kill variety and make so much other stuff in the game redundant. Why use any of the vehicles when you can just fly everywhere? Why bother engaging in any combat on the ground when you can just hover above and obliterate everything below with a rocket launcher?

I say this as someone who liked JC2 alot though, so I'll remain open minded and look forward to impressions when it comes out.
As someone who played JC2 with the Superman mod and had a blast, i'm not worried, really.

It's like, why would you strap bombs to a cow and slingshot it towards the bridge, when you can directly rocket the bridge or the objective? If you start thinking in those pragmatical terms, nothing about the game's very DNA makes sense.
You do it because it's fun to do and to watch, not because you're searching for some strategic return.
Some open world games promote creativity by facing you with challanges (but even then you are then one crippling yourself, most of the times) like MGSV.
Instead JC3, isn't about gameplay balance, it's about promoting creativity without shackles, you do it because you want to.

In JC3, the adage "the journey is the destination" is very much true.

idonteven

ps4 Eu

the lagg is kinda like you press r1 en then you wait like 1 sec for it to load.

dont know if anyone ever played dc universe online on ps3 but the menu lag is kinda like that but not that bad

RichGS

ps4 Eu

the lagg is kinda like you press r1 en then you wait like 1 sec for it to load.

dont know if anyone ever played dc universe online on ps3 but the menu lag is kinda like that but not that bad

Very weird indeed. I'll try it on a different PS4 tonight to see what happens.

For now i'll update the article to highlight that it may be an isolated issue.

Got mine today from Simply Games (UK/PS4). Can't get past the early mission of meeting Mario, gives a CE error every time. Asked the Just Cause twitter when we might see the 1.1 patch that's been reported and they just said the game is out Dec 1st :(

What I have played was great, oh man the explosions!! Looks fantastic too, draw distance is impressive. Can't wait for the patch.

idonteven

anyone that has the game can you fly planes ? i cant get the planes into the air for some reason they are super slow

seems like my ps4 controller is broke cuz i tried another one and it worked

Lucifon

Framerate doesn't seem great on Xbox One at all... I'm really hoping this upcoming patch sorts things. As soon as you get into a medium amount of combat it starts to drop to the 20s.

flozuki

Got it for about 27 Euros at our Gamestop for PS4. Thanks to the electronic market across the street that sold cheap games for a trade in :-D

Looks really good so far and I was able to download the patch.

Karak

Damn this thing broke street date like...everywhere known to man.

I had one about 1700kb or something... Is that it? Frame rate takes a dive very regularly. It's damaging my enjoyment of the game quite a bit.

Both console framerate post patch is still dodgy as hell.

Chris R

Damn this thing broke street date like...everywhere known to man.

Launching just after Black Friday seems like a bad plan, even if the game isn't getting any discount. Just being in stores on shelves would sell copies that they wouldn't otherwise.

Just three more sleeps until the game unlocks :( Wish they would unlock it now since so many people are playing it.

I am hoping day 1 patch resolves the frame rate issues. The game, at times, goes into slow motion literally. This is, of course, due to big ass explosions. But when the core of the game revolves around making as many big explosions as possible, it kind of sucks to have these explosions slow down the whole game.

Travelling around the world doesn't cause any frame drops. Not to that noticeable extent. It is all about the explosions and individual physics. Looks lovely though.

I hate that there is like a lag when we open the world map. I hope that is fixed too. The world map is really huge TBH.

Karak

I am hoping day 1 patch resolves the frame rate issues. The game, at times, goes into slow motion literally. This is, of course, due to big ass explosions. But when the core of the game revolves around making as many big explosions as possible, it kind of sucks to have these explosions slow down the whole game.

Travelling around the world doesn't cause any frame drops. Not to that noticeable extent. It is all about the explosions and individual physics. Looks lovely though.

I hate that there is like a lag when we open the world map. I hope that is fixed too. The world map is really huge TBH.

I have yet to see patches improve upon issues that bad when it comes to these kinds of effects, transparencies, and alpha. Its clearly taxing the systems to a tremendous degree:( Usually patches that do that kind of thing are actually removing effects, or cutting down in other areas and Peter gets robbed to pay Paul.

Lucifon

Yep it is frustrating. The game becomes noticeably less responsive when it slows down too.

I've also noticed driving around in vehicles on the ground has very up and down framerates too which leads to unresponsive controls, depending on the area you're driving through.

I'm disappointed that the gun play still feels weak. "Precision aiming" is stuck behind an unlock wall and you still can't duck. It feels like they've mostly left it the same as 2 unless my memory deceives me.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
I'm disappointed that the gun play still feels weak. "Precision aiming" is stuck behind an unlock wall and you still can't duck. It feels like they've mostly left it the same as 2 unless my memory deceives me.

You actually could duck in 2, but it was very poorly implemented. You had to press and hold down L3/LS (non toggle crouching is a sin, and non toggle crouching assigned to a stick press is an unforgivable sin), you couldn't move while ducked, and it was more of a half-assed kneel anyway.

I remember asking a good long while ago if they had improved stuff like cover, and I got a response along the lines of, no, they decided to drop anything that would slow down combat or encourage an inactive playstyle. Rico is all about offense as the best defense, I guess.

Lucifon

I've just discovered yesterday I was playing without the day one update on XB1. Rolled out to me this morning, 2.9gb. Just downloading now. Hope it improves the performance. Looking forward to trying it :D

Top Bottom