• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just Cause 3 Dev Diary: The Engine

Thanks for this. I currently have an Xbone preorder, was deliberating if I should get it on PC instead. I'll check this out.

that's not the XBOX ONE version...

it says "Exit To Windows" on the menu screen and there's a Steam achievement that pops up about 14 minutes in

Nokterian

That's a great cover of Firestarter, by Dutch musician Torre Florim. He also plays in a band called 'De Staat' (The State), they're pretty cool (if you're into a weird psychedelic mix of rock n roll and Queens of the Stone Age).

Firestarter vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPI3b9iPSN0
Some De Staat stuff:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ttGgIQpAUc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLrslkB1pG8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54CkdT5QznQ

Awesome a fellow country men got in the game i love this version of firestarter.

Just pre ordered it on gmg for 36 euro's. Feels good man!

ISee

I was interested (not hyped), but somehow the official one hour gameplay video 'killed' my interest. Story seemed goofy and uninteresting (no big surprise and not what I expected) but gameplay wise it didn't seem to be that crazy, more like fun for 1-2 hours and then you've seen everything there is. But maybe it's one of those, you have to play it to understand it thing. Right now this is a "steam sale" buy for me.

danowat

Banned
I was interested (not hyped), but somehow the official one hour gameplay video 'killed' my interest. Story seemed goofy and uninteresting (no big surprise and not what I expected) but gameplay wise it didn't seem to be that crazy, more like fun for 1-2 hours and then you've seen everything there is. But maybe it's one of those, you have to play it to understand it thing. Right now this is a "steam sale" buy for me.

Not even remotely interested in the story, JC, for me, has always been about traversal and blowing shit up, and for me, that never gets old!!, even after 100 hrs!

vypek

The only thing that I don't care for (which won't affect me buying the game) is the new face and voices for known characters.

Also, I wish there was a desert like area. I loved the desert in JC2. My favorite place to mess around. Really excited to see all the different environments in this.

JC 2 topped gta 4 and 5 in fun factor for me.
maybe its just my bias towards tropical islands over cities, but goddamn did i have blast with that game.

now with animals+ flying +
grapple hooks +
ancient tombs(aka more corny supernatural bs)
, it will be the end of me and my career.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Just Cause 3's [Steam] pre-load has been fixed. 51.4GB install/38.5GB download. It seems the subs were correctly set up after all but the two other depots weren't pre-loadable.

Edit: You'll need to reinitialise the pre-load (delete and reinstall). I thought Steam would be smart enough to automatically start downloading the other depots as they were made available, but apparently not.

JaseC

Is this one of the largest install sizes for a current gen game so far?

Yeah, I don't think many have broken the 50GB barrier. The only other games that come to mind are BLOPS 3 (58.3GB) and of course GTAV (64.4GB).

Edit: Others include Elder Scrolls Online (a touch over 50GB), Call of Doggy: Advanced Woofare (~51.2GB) and NBA 2K15 and 16 (~51GB and ~52GB, respectively).

Chris R

Steam automatically started to download the full 38.5 GB for me without doing anything... Should I just delete it to be safe?

JaseC

Steam automatically started to download the full 38.5 GB for me without doing anything... Should I just delete it to be safe?

Ah, so I was remembering correctly and Steam was just being mean to me. :( It'll be fine.

Chris R

Ah, so I was remembering correctly and Steam was just being mean to me. :( It'll be fine.

I deleted it just to be safe. Only lost 100ish MB. Not risking anything since I have to download it and then backup/install it on my gaming rig (fucking bandwidth caps)

q73VVXw.png

Apparently the game was programmed with Google Calendar. Pretty impressive imo

30IR

Banned
Given how fantastic Mad Max works on PC (multi-GPU scaling, graphics, gameplay etc.), I cannot wait for Just Cause 3! :D

Stackboy

that's not the XBOX ONE version...

it says "Exit To Windows" on the menu screen and there's a Steam achievement that pops up about 14 minutes in

Yeah its a duplicate of the first hour they posted on the official Just Cause 3 channel.

I'm going to grab it on PC.

See, I like goofy stereotypes and mild comedy in games. It is why I love Street Fighter for instance. I think there needs to be a bigger place for games like that in the industry.

Lego Boss

The Hype is real. I had a dream last night not that l was playing JC3, but l was actually in the world as Rico.

Set the world on fire!!!

Rainy Dog

Unfortunately I feel the same. Watched 20 mins of the Giant Bomb lets play the other day and had just lost interest by then.

One of the main things that I'm skeptical of is the new wingsuit. It just looks like it will kill variety and make so much other stuff in the game redundant. Why use any of the vehicles when you can just fly everywhere? Why bother engaging in any combat on the ground when you can just hover above and obliterate everything below with a rocket launcher?

I say this as someone who liked JC2 alot though, so I'll remain open minded and look forward to impressions when it comes out.

Impulsor

I wonder if this will natively support 21:9 resolutions, I sure hope it does.If I recall correctly, Just Cause 2 supports it, and so does Mad Max.

Jc2 was just a rediculous fun toy box and this seems to have way more toys .

I'm sure it might get boring after awhile but dem explosions!

Denton

That's a great cover of Firestarter, by Dutch musician Torre Florim. He also plays in a band called 'De Staat' (The State), they're pretty cool (if you're into a weird psychedelic mix of rock n roll and Queens of the Stone Age).

Firestarter vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPI3b9iPSN0
Some De Staat stuff:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ttGgIQpAUc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLrslkB1pG8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54CkdT5QznQ
Awesome stuff, love it, thanks for linking that.

TBH the thing I'm looking forward to most is driving around, hopefully getting into some chases and using the "Turbo Boost" function.

omonimo

Banned
My big problem with this game although I adore the sand box mechanics, it's the boring repetitiveness. I want to buy it but I remember to have abandoned the previous after a bunch of hours.

lcap

Well, here is the change log for the first patch on PS4 (via VG247)

Fixes and Improvements

The Medician Department of Nature Conservation has pored over every inch of our beautiful island for cracks and removed them
The Medician Department of Motor Vehicles has taken measures to acquire poorly-tuned vehicles and burn them
The DRM has been given a refresher course in combat and spatial awareness as per the General’s recent mandate
The Medician Department of Infrastructure has made some adjustments to certain roads to prevent traffic jams
Various stability/crash fixes
Various camera fixes
Various Havok destruction optimisations
Various localisation fixes and updates
Various worldsim improvements
Missions, Challenges, Random Encounters

Various minor mission bug fixes
Various minor challenge bug fixes
Fixed some various issues with Random Encounters
Graphics and Animation

Various LoD optimisations
Various lighting optimisations
Various animation optimisations
Audio

Various level and EQ adjustments
Rebels riding along with Rico will now be less rude and not talk over each other
Fixed a few rare audio distortion issues involving destructible objects with lots of moving parts

Funny as hell, specially the rebels talking over each other part.

eshwaaz

Well, here is the change log for the first patch on PS4 (via VG247)

Funny as hell, specially the rebels talking over each other part.
Nice. Appreciate the lighthearted tone of the notes. Glad to see LOD optimizations. Hope the framerate can handle larger explosions better as well.

It pains me that I'll have to wait until Christmas to play this. I'm already juggling Assassin's Creed: Syndicate, Fallout 4 and Tomb Raider. Plus, my wife made me promise to save a game for an XMas gift. What a great "problem" to have. This has been a hell of a 4th quarter!

Unfortunately I feel the same. Watched 20 mins of the Giant Bomb lets play the other day and had just lost interest by then.

One of the main things that I'm skeptical of is the new wingsuit. It just looks like it will kill variety and make so much other stuff in the game redundant. Why use any of the vehicles when you can just fly everywhere? Why bother engaging in any combat on the ground when you can just hover above and obliterate everything below with a rocket launcher?

I say this as someone who liked JC2 alot though, so I'll remain open minded and look forward to impressions when it comes out.

It was the same in JC2. No reason to use the vehicles as using the parachute to traverse(and the superman mod) made using them redundant. It was just fun to load up a bus with explosives and drive it off a cliff into a base. Or surfing an airplane shooting other planes or targets on the ground.

Top Bottom