• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just Cause 3 Dev Diary: The Engine

There's a day one patch on... day one.
I know it is a bit silly, lol. But there have been patches available ahead of the launch in the past. So I expected to see one for Just Cause 3. Pretty sure there will be one as the game currently looks unoptimized. Even some cutscenes can drop frames randomly.

GenericUser

just cause 2 had amazing oppportunities. unfortunately, you couldn't see what to do next nor have you had the option to jump right to the next meaningful mission.

as long as they don't show that they fix this, I cannot get interested.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
just cause 2 had amazing oppportunities. unfortunately, you couldn't see what to do next nor have you had the option to jump right to the next meaningful mission.

as long as they don't show that they fix this, I cannot get interested.

If you're playing just for the story missions, you're probably playing it wrong. The meat and potatoes of the game is open world havoc.

Nokterian

If you're playing just for the story missions, you're probably playing it wrong. The meat and potatoes of the game is open world havoc.

My man when the mods came in JC2 with bolopatch came it opened up a whole lot of more. I played nearly 80 hours of JC2..just to create beautiful explosions and explore also finding those easter eggs hopefully we see more in JC3.

58b.gif

Preorder cancelled.

not.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Pre-load is now live on Steam, however the subs are missing the main content depot/s. If you pre-load what is there, you'll automatically begin pre-loading the rest once Avalanche/Squeenix updates said subs.

ironcreed

Banned
Man, I love the music. This is totally a 'mood' game to just kick back and relax with, in addition to being a game to raise absolute hell in. It accommodates whatever you feel like doing. Here is an example of a more 'chill' moment while trying to beat a wingsuit time record.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOzXw9nYmWg

Be sure to notice the little details, like his jeans fluttering in the wind, etc.

Chris R

Pre-load is now live on Steam, however the subs are missing the main content depot/s. If you pre-load what is there, you'll automatically begin pre-loading the rest once Avalanche/Squeenix updates said subs.

Only 100MB? WTF?

This Day 1 "patch" to download the rest of the content is a bunch of bullshit that I hope changes at some point in the very near future :(

Only 100MB? WTF?

This Day 1 "patch" to download the rest of the content is a bunch of bullshit that I hope changes at some point in the very near future :(

???

they haven't added the main files to the pre-load yet (like Jase said)...it just got turned on today so they likely missed something when starting it

Man, I love the music. This is totally a 'mood' game to just kick back and relax with, in addition to being a game to raise absolute hell in. It accommodates whatever you feel like doing. Here is an example of a more 'chill' moment while trying to beat a wingsuit time record.

Be sure to notice the little details, like his jeans fluttering in the wind, etc.

Love it. Avalanche can't match Rockstar's systemic detail (nobody seems to be able to), but pushing this strangely serene atmosphere alongside all the explosions was a good move. The slick animations (the wingsuit banking, backflip, grapple launch, and the parachute airbrake look amazing) combined with this music give Rico's traversal a very smooth and relaxing vibe.

Nokterian

Goddamn that music...

Codiox

I have watched more than enough to know that I will not be. I love JC2 and this is better in every way. Like I always say, sometimes you just know.
Nice. I'm getting in the mood too, I hope it will deliver. Weekend can't come soon enough.

Have they said whether or not there will be some basic customization at least for the parachute or wing suit like different designs or coloring? (not a make or break thing but just curious)

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
Have they said whether or not there will be some basic customization at least for the parachute or wing suit like different designs or coloring? (not a make or break thing but just curious)
Finished the game today and didn't see any customization options.

Finished the game today and didn't see any customization options.

alright...thanks for answering

I'd like to get the PC version but the possibility of NVIDIA GameWorks being used for a lot of the game's effects (smoke, destruction, water, etc) makes me wary. I've tried asking on Twitter and haven't got a response and so far they are keeping very quiet about it so that makes me nervous. I can just imagine the situation if this turns out like Project CARS and basically only works properly on one brand of cards.

Karak

Love it. Avalanche can't match Rockstar's systemic detail (nobody seem to be able to), but pushing this strangely serene atmosphere alongside all the explosions was a good move. The slick animations (the wingsuit banking, backflip, grapple launch, and the parachute airbrake look amazing) combined with this music give Rico's traversal a very smooth and relaxing vibe.

The only thing I haven't been happy at all with is the decidely less than this gen texturing in many places and severe popup. Some of its fucking criminally bad.

LAM09

I wanna say yes but I honestly don't remember how long JC2 was, finished it back then and never touched it again.

Thanks. Only played JC2 for the first time a few months ago, so its still fresh. JC3 story looked much improved in one of the recent trailers, so I'm looking forward to jumping into it next week

Man, wasn't thinking about getting this game before but that video (and all the cow gif's in this thread) has sold me. Really like the art style of the game as well. Looks amazing. Looking at the jeans flutter while he's flying...amazing.

Haven't played the others. Does that matter?

ironcreed

Banned
Man, wasn't thinking about getting this game before but that video (and all the cow gif's in this thread) has sold me. Really like the art style of the game as well. Looks amazing. Looking at the jeans flutter while he's flying...amazing.

Haven't played the others. Does that matter?

Not a bit. It's a new story that does not take itself seriously, but you will get some humor from it and will come away loving Rico 'motherfucking' Rodriguez as a character.

Carn82

That's a great cover of Firestarter, by Dutch musician Torre Florim. He also plays in a band called 'De Staat' (The State), they're pretty cool (if you're into a weird psychedelic mix of rock n roll and Queens of the Stone Age).

Firestarter vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPI3b9iPSN0
Some De Staat stuff:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ttGgIQpAUc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLrslkB1pG8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54CkdT5QznQ

OmegaDL50

One thing I wonder.

I used use a trick in JC2 when I jumped out of a plane from a massive height, before hitting the ground, I used the tether to pull myself towards the earth. Yes you heard right.

This allowed you basically fall from any height distance and still hit the ground safely, oddly enough hitting the ground without using the tether you basically cratered, but with the tether pulling you towards the ground it acted as air brakes and allows you to land without any fall damage.

I wonder if this was fixed in Just Cause 3, because being able to pull yourself to the ground after a massive fall is totally gamey and fine by me. Of course this could have been unintentional.

Anyone want to test this out and by jumping out of a plane using the grappling hook and pull yourself to the ground before hitting pavement? Does this still work?

vypek

One thing I wonder.

I used use a trick in JC2 when I jumped out of a plane from a massive height, before hitting the ground, I used the tether to pull myself towards the earth. Yes you heard right.

This allowed you basically fall from any height distance and still hit the ground safely, oddly enough hitting the ground without using the tether you basically cratered, but with the tether pulling you towards the ground it acted as air brakes and allows you to land without any fall damage.

I wonder if this was fixed in Just Cause 3, because being able to pull yourself to the ground after a massive fall is totally gamey and fine by me. Of course this could have been unintentional.

Anyone want to test this out and by jumping out of a plane using the grappling hook and pull yourself to the ground before hitting pavement? Does this still work?

Im pretty sure thats in the video and a staple move. No way they would take it out. They wouldnt allow damage from moving around the way they encourage you to

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
One thing I wonder.

Yes it does. I use this all the time.

Top Bottom