• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just Cause 3 Dev Diary: The Engine

SomTervo

For the most part it's a solid 30 FPS unless there is a really fucking big explosion involved with physics stuff. PC will be significantly better in that department, I can already imagine the insanity with stable 60FPS, it's going to be glorious to look at.Here is my 1.5 hour impressions from playing the game on Xbox One.

I couldn't play more because I had shit to do however from what I played I can confirm that the game is a shit ton of fun and feels much tighter than JC2. Also, something that surprised me is the sound mixing in this game is insane especially the gun sounds. It just feels real satisfying to shoot now compared to JC2.

Starting the game I was greeted with trying to log in online but I don't know what the online features are as of yet but it probably is recording what you do to your SE account as well as the leaderboards? could be but you can play offline so that's good. After that, I got into a 40-50 second loading screen as soon as you press start game which is bad but after that, any death or failure resulted in a 15-20 second loading screen. I don't know if that is better on PS4 or if you install it on an SSD because I'm using a regular ass 1TB WD HDD.

The game starts off pretty strong and pretty much throws you right in the mess of things while teaching you some of the mechanics. Literally within he first 10 or so minutes you'll get the wingsuit and tethering objects. I could only make 2 tethers and the maximum is
FUCKING TETHERS. Of course, that's only possible by upgrading it thanks to your gear mods menu option, you do challenges to unlock crazy upgrades that concerns pretty much everything you use. Weapons, grenades, hook.etc

Hopefully this helps anyone out in their decision to get or not get this game.

Shitting. Yes. Thanks for this.

If this is still cheap by payday, the day before official release, I am in.

So the map is the same size as JC2, but it seems with much more water?

http://gearnuke.com/just-cause-3-full-world-map-size-revealed-compared-just-cause-2/

It has a lot of underground areas, too, apparently, so the surface-size may be misleading.

Ah, someone that hates OPTIONAL coop.

Not everyone enjoys playing such a big sandbox game alone nowadays.

Coop would do wonders to this IMO. With Coop i would buy it day one.

I've got a vibe they might DLC it in.

Co-op is just too in-demand for this series.

ironcreed

Banned
Like a bird diving for fish, lol:

n89wjGe.gif

On a side note, apparently you can
ride cows (lol)
and there is an
erupting volcano island.
Good stuff.

ironcreed

Banned
I bet! I was just in awe at the water :eek:

Come on Tuesday! I bought this digitally cause I know how much I loved booting up JC 2 for some quick fun.

It is indeed beautiful. Flying in the wingsuit over the ocean with all of that amazing ambient music is going to be such a joy. I have seen enough to know that this will likely stand with The Witcher 3 as my GOTY. For it's own reasons not including the story, of course. Just in terms of the world and pure fun. The game looks astounding.

Like most games, I imagine it will be hard to know that tiull it is in the wild and examined by more thorough GAFers or outlets.

You may wanna consider that pre-order.

Also, there isn't any day 1 updates as of right now so maybe there will be and that could iron out the issues whatever console may have. The graphics are alright but they are certainly not the selling point of this game, it kind of looks rough in spots but it's a very colorful, vivid looking game which is perfect because that's how JC always was.

As of right now, it's a solid 30FPS on Xbox One unless there is a massive explosion involving physics stuff. I did a few short vids in the previous page, shame I don't have a capture device but I worked with what I had haha.

It is indeed beautiful. Flying in the wingsuit over the ocean with all of that amazing ambient music is going to be such a joy. I have seen enough to know that this will likely stand with The Witcher 3 as my GOTY. For it's own reasons not including the story, of course. Just in terms of the world and pure fun. The game looks astounding.

Same here, I put countless hours in JC2 on PS3 and then rebought it on PC later when I had a new rig. I plan to do the same here, play tons on PS4 and then rebuy it later when I get a new PC.

MP in Just Cause has to be the MP mod from JC2. The one where you can completely break the game.

The guys that made that mod were already brought in around E3-time in Avalanche to look at the tech and the new game, in case they were interested in remaking that mod. Unfortunately, that is not a mode they can implement officially into the game (as it is busted and broken beyond anything else). And I don't think people want a basic MP mode like every other game out there (breaking the game was most of the fun in JC2's).

If those guys are interested in remaking the mod (which they probably are, since they already visited Avalanche), then MP will come after release.

ironcreed

Banned
Also, there isn't any day 1 updates as of right now so maybe there will be and that could iron out the issues whatever console may have. The graphics are alright but they are certainly not the selling point of this game, it kind of looks rough in spots but it's a very colorful, vivid looking game which is perfect because that's how JC always was.

As of right now, it's a solid 30FPS on Xbox One unless there is a massive explosion involving physics stuff. I did a few short vids in the previous page, shame I don't have a capture device but I worked with what I had haha.

I think that the game looks absolutely gorgeous even from all of the compressed footage I have been watching. I am not sweating some softer textures and such due to the size and beauty on the whole. I'm good.

Having played the PS4 version, I don't like when the frame rate dips, and it happens a lot when there are big explosions. On the other hand, there is no day 1 patch yet so it is entirely possible that they optimized it in the day 1 patch. The frame rate dips don't impact the experience but they sure are noticeable.

I also noticed that the frame rate dipped when we destroyed a big bridge, which looks like procedural destruction. There is also object based motion blur in the game which can be clearly seen when driving around in vehicles.

The game looks fantastic, however PS4 version suffers with shimmering and jaggies.

its a game about blowing shit up.
id be worried if it DIDNT have fps drops.
would mean the devs didnt go crazy enough

2 questions !!
what does triangle/Y do in the game?
are there any animals

Having played the PS4 version, I don't like when the frame rate dips, and it happens a lot when there are big explosions. On the other hand, there is no day 1 patch yet so it is entirely possible that they optimized it in the day 1 patch. The frame rate dips don't impact the experience but they sure are noticeable.

I also noticed that the frame rate dipped when we destroyed a big bridge, which looks like procedural destruction. There is also object based motion blur in the game which can be clearly seen when driving around in vehicles.

The game looks fantastic, however PS4 version suffers with shimmering and jaggies.

There's a day one patch on... day one.

vypek

its a game about blowing shit up.
id be worried if it DIDNT have fps drops.
would mean the devs didnt go crazy enough

2 questions !!
what does triangle/Y do in the game?
are there any animals

IDK about the first question but we have definitely already seen animals

There is a video with a deer getting tethered and another with a cow with rocket C4 on it.

greenegt

For the most part it's a solid 30 FPS unless there is a really fucking big explosion involved with physics stuff. PC will be significantly better in that department, I can already imagine the insanity with stable 60FPS, it's going to be glorious to look at. Here is my 1.5 hour impressions from playing the game on Xbox One.

I couldn't play more because I had shit to do however from what I played I can confirm that the game is a shit ton of fun and feels much tighter than JC2. Also, something that surprised me is the sound mixing in this game is insane especially the gun sounds. It just feels real satisfying to shoot now compared to JC2.

Starting the game I was greeted with trying to log in online but I don't know what the online features are as of yet but it probably is recording what you do to your SE account as well as the leaderboards? could be but you can play offline so that's good. After that, I got into a 40-50 second loading screen as soon as you press start game which is bad but after that, any death or failure resulted in a 15-20 second loading screen. I don't know if that is better on PS4 or if you install it on an SSD because I'm using a regular ass 1TB WD HDD.

The game starts off pretty strong and pretty much throws you right in the mess of things while teaching you some of the mechanics. Literally within the first 10 or so minutes you'll get the wingsuit and tethering objects. I could only make 2 tethers and the maximum is
FUCKING TETHERS. Of course, that's only possible by upgrading it thanks to your gear mods menu option, you do challenges to unlock crazy upgrades that concerns pretty much everything you use. Weapons, grenades, hook.etc

The game has great draw distances on consoles and it seems to be a really massive place to wreck havoc in. So far this just seems to be a crazier, bigger and better JC2. There are
regions,
provinces,
settlements,
missions,
challenges,
daredevil jumps,
ancient tombs and a bunch of other collectibles.

I took short videos(30 second and lower/pics) with my phone just to give you a general idea of how everything looks like since I can't use the console DVR because of the clips not saving. The reason being is that the game isn't out yet and who knows there might be a day 1 patch that irons out the issues I have not yet stumbled on. I don't have an Elegato or the like so yeah.

1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 9 - 10 - 11

Some gear mod spoilers concerning the menus for those that don't want to see.

Hopefully this helps anyone out in their decision to get or not get this game.

Totally missed this post. Thanks! Game looks good on XB1. Can't wait to pick it up.

MP in Just Cause has to be the MP mod from JC2. The one where you can completely break the game.

The guys that made that mod were already brought in around E3-time in Avalanche to look at the tech and the new game, in case they were interested in remaking that mod. Unfortunately, that is not a mode they can implement officially into the game (as it is busted and broken beyond anything else). And I don't think people want a basic MP mode like every other game out there (breaking the game was most of the fun in JC2's).

If those guys are interested in remaking the mod (which they probably are, since they already visited Avalanche), then MP will come after release.

Even if the MP mod does come, it wouldn't be coming to consoles. It was incredibly broken on PC, but a shit ton of fun. It was like giving a 1000 people god powers and saying, GO! It was a lot of fun, but pretty broken all around. The airport was just tiny toons adventures levels of wackiness.

Lego Boss

After playing Mad Max l would think that performance on Bone will be strong, it was an excellent game across all platforms.

Codiox

Man im hoping they will already sell the game on Friday (germany) like fallout 4.

Back in the days I traveled to a friend just because the jc2 demo came out and I didn't had a Internet connection at that time. I brought my Xbox over so I could load the demo on it.

Played it 24/7.

I also liked the first one for what it was.

Stitch

Gold Member
I hope Just Cause 3 doesn't receive the same unfair review scores that Mad Max got.

They were not unfair. It was repetitive and tedious. Everything you did was slow. You couldn't just do something. You had to hold the button. For everything.
You couldn't just capture the balloon things. you had to slowly fill them up, slowly ascend, slowly descend.

You couldn't even jump from mission to mission to see the story because the game forced you to do silly sidestuff.

And then you had to drive around in your piece of junk car that broke down every few seconds.

I just gave up after 10 hours. I mean that's still a long time. But in these hours I was mostly just trying to find the fun in the game.
At least in Asscreed Arkham Mordor Light you are able to climb stuff which is exciting. Also the combat in these games is more fun.

Just Cause 3 let's you do whatever you want and gives you many, many tools to do whatever you want.
That already guarantees that it will get better scores than Mad max.

The only thing i really liked from Mad Max was the engine. Rock Solid 60fps in every situation

LOL, yep. While thankfully not taking itself seriously at all, the story does seem like it is also going to be a lot more enjoyable. It is an obvious improvement right off the bat.

yeah...I watched about half of the video and really liked what I saw

lot of funny lines there (like the news announcer..."I'm, apparently, the new voice of the General's News Network...")

Nokterian

Oh really? Since when? Where did you get that info? I cannot phantom a game that wants me to explore everything on my own looks at skyrim,fallout 3/4 oh wait there are a bunch of them exploring on your own and do what the hell you want. Avalanche always invested in great big singleplayer sandbox see mad max,see just cause 1 and 2. You need to get that temper a bit down buddy because it is like everything you want others don't want.

I don't mind coop but for this game it is never needed.

pr0cs

Videos give a crackdown-esq vibe to them, which is a good thing.
Would prefer it on xbone (ps4 is almost out of disk space) but I think I'll wait for reviews before biting

Top Bottom