• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kamiya no longer wants to make Star Fox, explains why

That means he's doing it.

Creating StarFrogs, a futuristic game where you play the fighter ace P@P-E, a frogman android fighting together with his other furry, feathery and scaly comrades. Dat Microsoft money.
Sounds exactly like a Kickstarter game. These people that make "spiritual successor" games that are nothing more than direct ripoffs disgust me.

narton

I really think he's just trying to let the fans off easy. There's no way in hell Nintendo will give them the keys to one of their franchises, however dormant Star Fox might be, after the sales poison that 101 is.

Don't see a problem with someone being annoyed by people bringing up the same thing over and over - Kamiya's already made it very very clear that he hates people asking him stuff he already answered. Literally anybody that has heard of Kamiya knows this.

This kind of response is pretty calm too. Basically "just shut up about Star Fox already", pretty fair.

vireland

He just needs to be hit with a blast of inspiration. Solves lots of problems. I would love to see another StarFox presented in a fresh way.

a.jpg

I really don't like the idea of him working on a Nintendo IP anyway. :/ While Platinum's teaming up with Nintendo, I'd much rather have him do original things. We already get enough sequels (even though some might argue they are sequels for the wrong franchises).

_woLf

He's just mad because it'd actually sell, unlike Wonderful 101

Can't believe he's getting upset about a fanbase being passionate. Phil Fish syndrome?

Sounds exactly like a Kickstarter game. These people that make "spiritual successor" games that are nothing more than direct ripoffs disgust me.

Really?! So you would, for instance, rather there never be another Megaman game again than Comcept fill that gap with spiritual successor Mighty No. 9?

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Someday I'll live in Japan, and I'll laugh with these game devs and let them know that I FULLY understand their pain. So tired of western fans ruining literally just about everything everything. I care less about your opinion if these are the types of manners you display to someone from a different culture who is used to different interaction. This is unnacceptable. Wish I was Japanese ;_;

Hahaha. This is why Kamiya is better off not working on an established IP. The fans aren't interested in a Kamiya game, they just want a new Star Fox. If Kamiya had actually made the Wonderful 101 with Nintendo characters instead, everyone would have complained that they acted too out of character or that the enemies looked too weird or that it was too chaotic. Kamiya makes the games he wants to make, which rules out pandering to fans of the series. I think the reason he doesn't want to make a Star Fox game anymore is because of the stupid expectations, which are probably nothing like the direction he'd be interested in taking.

Kamiya must enjoy not making money either

Silky

Banned
Kamiya should work on better games. Star Fox just isn't an important IP as it was in the 90s. Same as F-Zero, Wave Race, 1080, etc.

From someone who LOVES 64 - Command (Adventures being my favorite SF), I think the series should lay dormant a bit longer. 64 3D was a nice refresher at how much the mechanics don't hold up at all in this day and age.

TL;DR Mach Rider reboot by Kamiya

Fandangox

Murasame Castle mode of Samurai Warriors 3. Yup, Takamaru returned on a Wii game and no one really realized -- and this is a good 5 hours long mode too.

I have that game.

It would have been nice to see him return in the Wii U version of Orochi Warriors 3.

Silky

Banned
So back to wishing for Retro Star Fox?

Honestly if there /were/ a Star Fox sequel, Monster Games is the only dev whose worked with Nintendo that could do the flying/vehicle mechanics to justice. I'd like to see them and Retro continue to make more Donkey Kong games.

Arguably.

Resident Evil 2, Devil May Cry, Viewtiful Joe 1/2, Okami, Bayonetta, and TW101 are all really really fucking stellar games. Guy has yet to have a blemish on his record as a designer. He knows what he likes, and how it works in his games.

If you were going the route of lumping him as Platinum in general...well, GodHand, MadWorld and Anarchy are great games

Oh Treasure made THAT game? Well fuck yeah.

Top Bottom