• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kamiya on Devil May Cry 5 : "I'm ready, ask Capcom/Kobayashi"

JPKellams

Sigh...

EDIT: I thought Kamiya said something that was going to take up my day tracking things down, but it is a tweet from 2011. LOL. :)

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Honestly, I'm not sure if I'd rather have Kamiya do a DMC5 or Itsuno do a DMC5. But I'll tweet anyway... because at least it shows interest in the title.

Never going to happen.

DmC didn't sell well enough for Capcom to consider it.

DmC has nothing to do with DMC5. I put DmC in the same class as those phillip cd-i zelda games

I like Kamiya, but I want him to continue down the path he is on (Bayonetta, Wonderful 101) he did DMC and moved on.

I agree, I liked DmC more than Bayonetta.

That's because you care about gameplay.

Endo Punk

Wouldn't be the first time he said that and it wouldn't the first time Capcom ignored him.

I like Kamiya, but I want him to continue down the path he is on (Bayonetta, Wonderful 101) he did DMC and moved on.

I agree, I liked DmC more than Bayonetta.

Why don't you want NT to continue down their own path with new IP's?

Honestly, I'm not sure if I'd rather have Kamiya do a DMC5 or Itsuno do a DMC5. But I'll tweet anyway... because at least it shows interest in the title.

Tough call on who I'd rather see. Kamiya's on a roll, but Itsuno was behind 3 no? I really don't know what I'd pick.

I can see why you'd want Platinum to make it then.
what gives you the impression he wants platinum to make it if he just said he wants shitty mechanics and bosses

Pointless Dante and Vergil redesign and emphasis on what's still a pretty generic story (the original games at least never had the pretence that they were well-written) aside, I really liked DmC, but it's pointless to pretend NT are somehow better at action-mechanics than Kamiya/Platinum. DmC is undeniably a simpler game than most of their library (I'll admit Madworld's a dud), though I'd probably put it over most of the competition outside Platinum. Probably would've been better off as its own IP, but at the same time I doubt NT would've gotten as much support and know-how from Capcom if they were left more to their own devices.

DmC has nothing to do with DMC5. I put DmC in the same class as those phillip cd-i zelda games
Man that's extreme.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Tough call on who I'd rather see. Kamiya's on a roll, but Itsuno was behind 3 no? I really don't know what I'd pick.

I have to admit that Itsuno's take on the series is what really blew my mind. Kamiya's DMC is timeless and rich in atmosphere, but it was Itsuno's expansion of combat and style that really shook things up for me.

Kamiya copied elements of that style in Bayonetta, so I'm sure he'd do a good job, too.

EDIT: Wait, this is a tweet from 2011? Wtf, Dahbomb?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
And tbh I'd rather Kamiya do MGR2 if anything. DMC is a shit franchise and hasn't been good since DMC1.

First of all, your opinion is terrible.

Second of all, what's wrong with Saito continuing the series? I'm sure he's learned a lot from the first game.

Endo Punk

I thought Konami had already shown interest in doing a follow-up to Rising if Platinum was interested?

They have and Platinum would be a fool to turn it down. Wouldn't be surprised if Kenji Saito and team have already begun.

Whoa...that's a bold statement.

Best art, level design, weapons, effects, enemies and atmosphere. Gameplay I'll give to DMC4 and story to DMC3 but DMC1 ticks more boxes for sure especially with Dante. He just got worse and worse with DmC being the pinnacle of his shittiness.

Amir0x

Banned
Play The Wonderful 101, you'll be asking for a sequel to that game instead!

I have played Wonderful 101. It's great. Spectacular, even. But it is not superior to Devil May Cry 1, 3 and 4 sorry bro. :)

The depth, complexity and flexibility of the combat engine in Devil May Cry 3 and 4 trounce that of Wonderful 101. Again, which is not to say it's not good. It's GREAT. It's just not touching Devil May Cry.

Edit: TO BE CLEAR, I know Kamiya did not direct DMC3 and 4 to my knowledge.

Elios83

I thought that Kamiya said that DMC was like an ex-girlfriend who went with too many guys after him :p
With that being said I'd really like him to return to the series but it all depends on the relationship he has with the current management at Capcom.
Considering that Inafune is not at Capcom anymore and he was their biggest opposition in the company ("your games are not western enough, sell like shit" LOL) chances might be higher.

I have played Wonderful 101. It's great. Spectacular, even. But it is not superior to Devil May Cry 3, sorry bro. :)

The depth, complexity and flexibility of the combat engine in Devil May Cry 3 and 4 trounce that of Wonderful 101.

Too bad about its bland level design and boring enemies and all those other important parts of a good action game

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Considering that Inafune is not at Capcom anymore and he was their biggest opposition in the company ("your games are not western enough, sell like shit" LOL) chances might be higher.

I thought they still had respect for each other. But yeah, Capcom's current upper management is horseshit, so I doubt they'd go for it.

Amir0x

Banned
Too bad about its bland level design and boring enemies and all those other important parts of a good action game

It could be an empty white room, and as long as the combat system is as effortlessly superior to every other action combat system, I will prefer it. Pure gameplay. With DMC, it's never about the purity of the enemies anyway, it's about exploiting the combat system to score the highest. Which I can assure you takes extreme skill.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Sigh...

EDIT: I thought Kamiya said something that was going to take up my day tracking things down, but it is a tweet from 2011. LOL. :)

After reading it again, it looks like there's a more recent string, but the 2011 tweet was just showing that Kamiya's always had some interest. I can't find the recent string, though.

Salex_

Fuck that, give us Viewtiful Joe!

Capcom hates Viewtiful Joe. :(

They'll keep taking risks and making games no one asked for like Remember Me and Lost Planet 3 instead of a new Viewtiful Joe, Megaman, or Onimusha. It just makes no sense when they apparently don't have a lot of money left.

kodecraft

Wouldn't be the first time he said that and it wouldn't the first time Capcom ignored him.

Why don't you want NT to continue down their own path with new IP's?

Thats fair, but I am a fan of studios outsourcing their IP's to talented studios. I actually want to see MORE of this. I care about the people and there are some talented, smart, and hardworking individuals at these studios.

Having work is always great in development, regardless if its an original IP or not.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Christ jesus fuck, I love the hell out of DmC (fuck the haters) but Okami ......... yep!

Get NT to work on one of their other properties with what they've learned from DmC development. DmC goes on the backburner somewhere (hopefully forever), but you get new IPs and a new Enslaved. That way, everyone's happy.

JoeFenix

I have played Wonderful 101. It's great. Spectacular, even. But it is not superior to Devil May Cry 3, sorry bro. :)

The depth, complexity and flexibility of the combat engine in Devil May Cry 3 and 4 trounce that of Wonderful 101. Again, which is not to say it's not good. It's GREAT. It's just not touching Devil May Cry.

It's an entirely different beast, the point I was trying to make though is that I'd rather see him make new games because every time I finish one of them I just want more of it.

He always gives us something unexpected but it's consistently brilliant. Not many creators are able to do that so it would almost be a waste to have him come back to a past franchise.

And you would be surprised at how much depth 101 actually has, the combat engine allows for a crazy amount of combo potential. Like I said though, it's a different kind of action game so I don't feel the need to compare them directly.

Amir0x

Banned
It's an entirely different beast, the point I was trying to make though is that I'd rather see him make new games because every time I finish one of them I just want more of it.

He always gives us something unexpected but it's consistently brilliant. Not many creators are able to do that so it would almost be a waste to have him come back to a past franchise.

And you would be surprised at how much depth 101 actually has, the combat engine allows for a crazy amount of combo potential. Like I said though, it's a different kind of action game so I don't feel the need to compare them directly.

Oh, well that's an entirely different point. While I agree he should continue making new things, he has been away from directing Devil May Cry forever and someone needs to right that wrong after Ninja Theory nearly destroyed the franchise with their fucked up changes. Realistically, the only thing I'd grab from Ninja Theory's game is the environmental designs.

Anura

Thats fair, but I am a fan of studios outsourcing their IP's to talented studios. I actually want to see MORE of this. I care about the people and there are some talented, smart, and hardworking individuals at these studios.

Having work is always great in development, regardless if its an original IP or not.
This is what's so funny though. Capcom is no stranger to outsourcing but they always give it to such mediocre studios that churn out a dissapointing product...

AAK

IMO Kamiya should stay away from DMC now. I'd rather him continue to make new IP's. Just get the DMC3/DMC4 guys to make a proper sequel to their vision. That's what I want.

kodecraft

This is what's so funny though. Capcom is no stranger to outsourcing but they always give it to such mediocre studios that churn out a dissapointing product...

Is Ninja Theory really 'mediocre' though? I loved what they did with DmC, and want more of it. I thought I wouldn't like that Dante but I like their version more than the original Dante's personality.

DmC was great imo.

It could be an empty white room, and as long as the combat system is as effortlessly superior to every other action combat system, I will prefer it. Pure gameplay. With DMC, it's never about the purity of the enemies anyway, it's about exploiting the combat system to score the highest. Which I can assure you takes extreme skill.

That's where the vast majority of the love for that game comes from, people who prioritize exploring an in-depth combat system above the other components that make up a video game, and that's just not me. If I'm gonna learn and get into the nuances of a game's mechanics, the whole game needs to hold up, and with its boring cast of enemies and level design, its not enough for me.

W101's the complete package. DMC3 is training room simulator, working best in Bloody Palace.

Dahbomb

At least with the Marvel patch, it was Sven asking for Marvel to get twitter bombed. Shouldn't Itsuno ask for it first?

And DmC was DMC5.
Sven didn't make Marvel so I don't get the analogy to Itsuno.

DmC isn't DMC5 and never has been. Not even Itsuno considers it DMC5 and neither does Capcom. The only time it was referred to as DMC5 was before the game was even announced and it was Inafune who no longer works at Capcom.

The only people who refer to DmC as DMC5 are those who want to actually stir shit up.

Top Bottom