• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kamiya on Devil May Cry 5 : "I'm ready, ask Capcom/Kobayashi"

Dahbomb

Now that I think about it, has a company ever went back to the original premise of a series after making a reboot? I can't think of one.
Prince of Persia. They went from the Sands of the Time trilogy to PoP 2008 remake to another PoP game in the Sands of Time timeline.

Although apparently we shouldn't count that because the latest PoP game was an "interquel" or whatever.

Skilletor

Prince of Persia. They went from the Sands of the Time trilogy to PoP 2008 remake to another PoP game in the Sands of Time timeline.

Although apparently we shouldn't count that because the latest PoP game was an "interquel" or whatever.

Technically, aren't all DMCs since 2 "interquels," (if I get the definition right).

DMC2 is the farthest in the timeline, correct? No other DMC has caught up with it yet. So, potentially, DMC5 could fall under that "interquel" logic.

Boy this conversation is stupid.

Kokonoe

Banned
WukHvUQ.gif

I'd be quite happy with that partner-up.

I love Ed.

RangerBAD

Technically, aren't all DMCs since 2 "interquels," (if I get the definition right).

DMC2 is the farthest in the timeline, correct? No other DMC has caught up with it yet. So, potentially, DMC5 could fall under that "interquel" logic.

Isn't DMC4 the furthest along in the DMC timeline? I thought the newer PoP was a reboot too.

They should just make DMC X Bayonetta already. Dante and Bayo selectable characters, player can choose between the playstyles of the two series., and co op.

I actually agree. There are many other factors besides his look that make it a terrible game, factors that people have gone into many times only for their complaints to be dismissed while people make the "you just mad he doesn't have white hair" argument.

Biggest factor being that people actually enjoyed the game. Same with TR. A section of people keeps pounding the drum on how horrible the game is, yet people enjoyed it. Are you telling me that I had a terrible time playing it? Are you telling me the your "fun" is better than my "fun"?

ArynCrinn

Banned
Now give Mikami back complete control of the ResiEvil series, put Fallout solely in Obsidian's hands no Besthesda interference, and put Warren Spector down in front of Ultima Underworld GOG edition, let him play it front to back, and tell him to make a PC-derived sequel. And Kickstart the Mighty #9 to $50,000,000!

But yeah, new DMC under Kamiya would be awesome, but then again he already destroyed the design, art and combat system with Bayonetta arguably. Much rather see what he'd do with a Ninja Gaiden 4 honestly.

ZenTzen

I would love to play the DmC NT was making before Capcom had to save it by love i mean laugh. I still crack up over Itsuno mentioning they where just making enemies with blades everywhere just because it looks cool

NT are alright company no hate for them but if you going to give a action game to a western developer they are nowhere near the top of the list. I rather they take what they learned and create something new.

Give DMC5 to Itsuno and crew but I have little faith it will ever return

when Itsuno said he wanted to do DMC5, i was so freakin happy, and personally, i'd rather be him and his team do a DMC5 than kamiya, i just wish that capcom would listen

i would rather have a new DMC (by Capcom or like Platinum Games, not Ninja Theory) game over a new Bayonetta game any day of the week but ill take either I guess

i just hope there are less super dull huge bosses in bayonetta 2 and no more bad tribute stages

RangerBAD

Devil May Cry 2 is the furthest along. "In the far future" according to Capcom.

Oh, I never knew that. All that retconning.

i would rather have a new DMC (by Capcom or like Platinum Games, not Ninja Theory) game over a new Bayonetta game any day of the week but ill take either I guess

i just hope there are less super dull huge bosses in bayonetta 2 and no more bad tribute stages

But you're going to love the Mario stage!

EvB

If I was the kind of person to only be buying one next gen machine, I would be a little nervous that Microsoft could fund an exclusive DMC game, especially after the deal they struck up with Capcom.

Dahbomb

The whole "interquel" conversation is dumb. The only thing that matters is how the game handles mechanically.

Frankly the DMC fanbase doesn't care where a DMC game falls in place as long as the mechanics, game play are up to snuff. People want a mechanical sequel to DMC4.. it doesn't matter if it takes place after DMC4, after DMC2, after DMC1 or after DMC3.

And yeah DMC2 takes place furthest in the future so the timeline is DMC3 Manga > DMC3 > DMC1 > DMC Anime > DMC4 novel > DMC4 > DMC2. You can still easily make a DMC5 that falls in between DMC4 and DMC2. Or you can make a DMC game after DMC2... no one cares as long as they get a DMC in this timeline.

Skilletor

Yeah...I lost my save for Bayonetta, and those stupid stages prevent me from restarting the game over. :(

Especially the overlong space harrier section near the end. Fuck that noise.

rvy

Banned
You fuckers need to give the DMC v Bayo v NGB thing a rest. They're all amazing in their own right.

abadguy

Banned
Biggest factor being that people actually enjoyed the game. Same with TR. A section of people keeps pounding the drum on how horrible the game is, yet people enjoyed it. Are you telling me that I had a terrible time playing it? Are you telling me the your "fun" is better than my "fun"?

Glad they had fun, but that wasn't the point i was making. DmC played nothing like a Devil May Cry game, fans had a problem with that. They were legitimate complaints yet they were downplayed so people could make the (stupid) argument that they were just mad about cosmetic changes. Even with the stupid "They Live but edgier" storyline, the crappy characters that were nothing like the originals other than sharing the same names, if the gameplay was classic DMC and not Heavenly Sword 2.0 i am pretty sure fans would have begrudgingly tolerated it if only for gameplay sake.

That didn't happen though did it. Frankly the game is not DMC in anyway but character names, it should have just been a completely new IP. Then there would be no shit storm. DMC4 sold well on both consoles as i recall, there was no need for a reboot, it didn't improve on gameplay nor cxharacters in the least and it didn't even sell anywhere near as well as the last game in the series so what was the point of its existence?

If they turned this game into a spin off or just changed the name of it and gave us a REAL Devil May Cry game things would be better. Ninja theory fans could have that thing whatever it's supposed to be and DMC fans could have a true sequel to the series they enjoy. Everyone wins.

BadWolf

Yeah...I lost my save for Bayonetta, and those stupid stages prevent me from restarting the game over. :(

Especially the overlong space harrier section near the end. Fuck that noise.

Even a stage select doesn't change the fact that you have to play through that crap every time you want to experience one of the best boss fights ever.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
If you ask me the next step in a DMC game mechanically (at step up from DMC4) would be some sort of tag team mechanic, where you have two characters with less health that control completely differently to each other and you can to switch between the two of them to properly keep your combo up, so imagine a game where you can swap between Nero and Dante at will. Each could have half the normal health and half the normal DT gauge than usual so you're encouraged to swap frequently and be able to pull of insane tag combos.

Honestly though, my preferences is with Bayo since the game is fundamentally more simple to play but has a great layer of depth, I also think that encounters in Bayo are more challenging on their own, the enemy AI is just way more aggressive which leads to a more twitchy and exciting playing experience. Except for that fucking missile stage, holy shit that's awful.

TreIII

Oh, I never knew that. All that retconning.

It's kind of funny how they've always been that funny acting towards DMC2, when it should be just a matter of keeping it moving.

I, for one, wouldn't mind Lucia being in a future DMC game that I'd more than likely end up actually enjoying, thank you very much.

rvy

Banned
It's pointless to compete anyways since Bayo is the only one that's still alive. NG and DMC may never return to old forms

That's the real tragedy

Yes, absolutely. I have high hopes for Devil's Third, but NG and Ryu Hayabusa have a very specific charm to them. DMC is just a very sad story because Capcpom is run by morons and alienated most of their talent.

Korigama

I could never stand the original series of Devil May Cry games, but I lovelovelove the new DmC. One of the best character action games I've ever played, with imaginative boss fights and plenty of memorable moments.
Every single one of DmC's boss fights was terrible. And nothing about its scenario that stood out as memorable did so for good reasons.

I'd rather Kamiya keep coming up with awesome new IPs. The guy is so creative it would almost seem like a waste to have him working on sequels.

ChamplooJones

Formerly Momotaro
You fuckers need to give the DMC v Bayo v NGB thing a rest. They're all amazing in their own right.

Amen brother.

I could never stand the original series of Devil May Cry games, but I lovelovelove the new DmC. One of the best character action games I've ever played, with imaginative boss fights and plenty of memorable moments.

Say wha? DmC's boss fights were the worst parts of the game.

I enjoyed the game mind you; still play it today, but it fell for the ol' "bigger and badder" boss trope that so many action games fail at.

Dahbomb

The trio of Itsuno, Neo_G and Kamiya would result in the greatest action game ever made. It's a shame the 3 of them never got to collaborate for a DMC game.

The trio of Itsuno, Neo_G and Kamiya would result in the greatest action game ever made. It's a shame the 3 of them never got to collaborate for a DMC game.

im thinking Kamiya, Itagaki, Suda51, Mikami and Miyamoto.

or

Shigesato Itoi and Kamiya

anyone and Kamiya lol

edit: any updates on dmc5?

Top Bottom