• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kamiya on Devil May Cry 5 : "I'm ready, ask Capcom/Kobayashi"

There are other trains of logic that you can use besides a catch-all "reboots always stick," and they are far stronger.

All I'm saying is that your overly dismissive position is rife with flaws.
Nothing I say will keep you from clinging to hope of devil may cry ignoring the reboot and going carrying on like it never happened . If I had made another argument like 'kamiya is a troll' or 'series doesn't sell we'll enough' you'd simply go out of your way to furiously refute that and anything else I said as 'flawed'.

I think we're done here.

God of War has way more in common with a DMC than a Uncharted. Its not even close.

GoW has skills to purchase and upgrade, it has combo based combat system, it has air combos, it has old school style bosses, it has mobs of enemies that drop a specific upgrade currency, it has a fixed weapon system, bigger focus on melee vs long ranged combat, no stealth/cover. All of this is more in line with a DMC than an Uncharted. Even the camera perspective is more like a DMC than an Uncharted.

The only things that GoW has in common with Uncharted in that it has big set pieces and it's made by Sony.

The big difference between GoW and DMC is DMC is a good game, though :).

Valnen

Bring back Vergil in his DMC 3 form. I don't care what story you have to break to do so, Capcom. Just make it so.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Nothing I say will keep you from clinging to hope of devil may cry ignoring the reboot and going carrying on like it never happened . If I had made another argument like 'kamiya is a troll' or 'series doesn't sell we'll enough' you'd simply go out of your way to furiously refute that and anything else I said as 'flawed'.

I think we're done here.

Please don't treat this as if I'm the one being dismissive here. I think your position is pretty transparent. I tried. You didn't.

Kamiya is an amazing director. Star Fox, RE, DMC, what the fuck ever. I trust him over 95% of the fucking bozos in the industry who think they know what's best for any given series.

What? Mega man was never rebooted. Except for that awful game that never came out. Also, it's mega man, not megaman.

There's no definite way to spell it. MegaMan X series was a reboot, and eventually they continued the original series.

Street Fighter could also potentially count.

Now stop being a terrible poster.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Bring back Vergil in his DMC 3 form. I don't care what story you have to break to do so, Capcom. Just make it so.

You wouldn't want to see an older Vergil a la DMC4 Dante with facial hair and all? I think it'd be cool. Dante's power in 4 was ridiculous so I'd imagine a proportionate increase for Vergil.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
You wouldn't want to see an older Vergil a la DMC4 Dante with facial hair and all? I think it'd be cool. Dante's power in 4 was ridiculous so I'd imagine a proportionate increase for Vergil.

I don't see Vergil as the facial hair type, but Uncle Vergil would be great.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I would be done with DMC if they gave Vergil the same treatment they gave Dante in DMC4.

In terms of power or personality? Because Dante in 4 was more wacky than 3 but 3 already set the precedent for craziness. It's not like they would make Vergil a clown.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
As in "Devil May Cry whiners" or "Devil May Cry defenders" ?

... both? I don't see it happening unless people badgered him. He pretty much told people to go badger Kobayashi about it, so if people didn't get the hint they deserve to be yelled at.

In terms of power or personality? Because Dante in 4 was more wacky than 3 but 3 already set the precedent for craziness. It's not like they would make Vergil a clown.

I think in the adaptation of the character. 4 was a little more wacky, but also more laid back and easy-going because he was older and more powerful. Vergil wouldn't be wacky, but a faithful adaptation of him into an older, more assured character could be nice.

Videoneon

Mega man x wasn't a reboot. It's technically a spinoff that takes place far in the future from the main series. And mega man 9 just picks up where 8 left off. This is getting beyond silly. Goodnight all

Calling the X series a spinoff is at best misleading, but it doesn't really add any substance to any argument to intimate that the X series is a spinoff, or a reboot. What series besides the Classic series isn't a spinoff, then--and why don't spinoffs exist within the Classic series itself? The Irregular Hunter X series is a reboot.

Raonak

Banned
DMC4 dante was just a continuation of DMC3 datne. So I don't think anyones implying that Older vergil take uncle dante's personality, rather just be a refined continuation of vergils DMC3 personality.

Dahbomb

Papa Vergil with facial hair and longer hair for great truth and justice.

They would never make Vergil a clown... he was always created to be the polar opposite of Dante. That's why they could get away with crazy Dante in DMC3, they had Vergil there to contrast him. Stoic, silent and collected. Pretty much an evolution of this archetype if what I would expect if they bring him back.

I think we're done here.

I think DMC fans know more than anyone how unlikely DMC5 is, especially a Kamiya one. If you're a fan of any Capcom franchise you're definitely no stranger to disappointment, especially lately.

DMC fans are also pretty familiar with being condescended, especially lately, so I guess you're free to carry on.

I think DMC fans know more than anyone how unlikely DMC5 is, especially a Kamiya one. If you're a fan of any Capcom franchise you're definitely no stranger to disappointment, especially lately.

DMC fans are also pretty familiar with being condescended, especially lately, so I guess you're free to carry on.
Does the fact that I'm a dmc fan throw a little wrench in your logic? I said its sad that people are clinging to hope. I didn't say 'what a bunch of idiots' or demand anybody stop clinging to hope. Hey, if someone makes the internet petition I'll even sign the thing for all the good it would do.

Neff

I've been following Kamiya's Tweets and looking through his log for a while now, and absolutely nothing he says unless talking about subjects for the first time can be taken seriously. The last year or so of Tweets is filled with contradictions, falsehoods and little white lies. He is the beast of bullshit. While the idea of doing a sequel to one of his own games is something that's apparently interested him over time, this is also a man who passed up the opportunity of directing Bayonetta 2 in favour of Wonderful 101, the attraction of the latter being that it was something very new, and he champions new ideas and new gameplay constantly. I think it's highly unlikely he genuinely wants to revisit DMC (see his old girlfriend analogy), but if he did, I'm pretty sure he'd tear it down and start over.

Valnen

I would be okay with that, I was more asking to not have corrupted Vergil/Nelo Angelo only.

Dahbomb

I always saw Vergil as a clean cut fellow. Not even Sparda had a beard, after all.
No one has really seen Sparda though. At the very least the original Kamiya rendition of Sparda did in fact have facial hair.

DMC_Graphic_Edition_Sparda_Family.jpg

Vergil normally is clean cut but when you have been from hell to back you are probably not going to be too concerned about personal grooming.

Clawww

Papa Vergil with facial hair and longer hair for great truth and justice.

They would never make Vergil a clown... he was always created to be the polar opposite of Dante. That's why they could get away with crazy Dante in DMC3, they had Vergil there to contrast him. Stoic, silent and collected. Pretty much an evolution of this archetype if what I would expect if they bring him back.

I can see old-ass Vergil with that archetypal bearded samurai look, way out in the future where Dante has somehow died. DMC 2099.

Does the fact that I'm a dmc fan throw a little wrench in your logic? I said its sad that people are clinging to hope. I didn't say 'what a bunch of idiots' or demand anybody stop clinging to hope. Hey, if someone makes the internet petition I'll even sign the thing for all the good it would do.

Basically calling someone delusional for arguing your logic is pretty antagonistic, I'd say.

Again, you don't need to explain to DMC fans why DMC5 or Devil May Kamiya will never happen: there's about a dozen reasons why Capcom will never do it and we're pretty familiar with all of them, even if "we rebooted it once" isn't very high on that list. We aren't exactly all posting Ron Paul gifs here, and Dahbomb is just being Dahbomb.

Clawww

Not a single person in this thread is even claiming that DMC5 is likely to happen. The situation is grim as hell. But discounting it based on some weird ideas about reboots is silly and that's what you've been arguing about. Look man, you didn't have to elaborate on it and expose everyone to your poor thinking and then backtracked into strawmen and accusations of fanboyism. You could have just left off at a little drive-by shitpost. I thought you said you were done in this thread, anyways.

I didn't backtrack at all. Series rarely revert to there original canon once they've been wiped clean with a reboot. Can anybody seriously deny this? Come on.

I didn't backtrack at all. Series rarely revert to there original canon once they've been wiped clean with a reboot. One example was brought to my attention(prince of Persia) but that doesn't mean I'm using flawed logic or poor thinking lol. Sure there are plenty of other reasons that dmc5 won't happen. In my opinion the major nail in the coffin is the reboot. Feel free to disagree but if you're going to jump all over me trying to tell me why I'm wrong you Better come with some better arguments

Your earlier posts honestly made you sound 100% sure that not only will it not happen for DMC, but it wouldn't happen at all or any series. That's the tone I got out of you, and maybe why you've been on defense up to this point.

The possibility of the DMC HD Collection outselling DmC at any point kind of leads me to think it's completely possible for DMC to come back at some point. If they do another DmC and that does the same sales "s or worse, and Capcom wants to keep doing DMC, then a return to the old form seems possible.

Some Nobody

I didn't backtrack at all. Series rarely revert to there original canon once they've been wiped clean with a reboot. One example was brought to my attention(prince of Persia) but that doesn't mean I'm using flawed logic or poor thinking lol. Sure there are plenty of other reasons that dmc5 won't happen. In my opinion the major nail in the coffin is the reboot. Feel free to disagree but if you're going to jump all over me trying to tell me why I'm wrong you Better come with some better arguments

DMC5 isn't likely...but neither is DmC 2. It sold the worst of all the games yet. Usually if a reboot fails, they don't go back to the last game...they just let the series die.

Still, if fans demand it enough Capcom might go for a 5. But they've got to work out their manpower issues first.

DMC5 isn't likely...but neither is DmC 2. It sold the worst of all the games yet. Usually if a reboot fails, they don't go back to the last game...they just let the series die.

Still, if fans demand it enough Capcom might go for a 5. But they've got to work out their manpower issues first.

That's the thing. If money talks, reboots be damned. Silly rabbits, if you've learned ANYTHING, it's that NOTHING is left sacred, no concept or creed. If the choice to go back to an established canon WILL ensure sales, there's no law against that and I can assure you, no company would pass that up. But, before anybody jumps to correct me, I did say "if".

Keasar

I've been following Kamiya's Tweets and looking through his log for a while now, and absolutely nothing he says unless talking about subjects for the first time can be taken seriously. The last year or so of Tweets is filled with contradictions, falsehoods and little white lies. He is the beast of bullshit. While the idea of doing a sequel to one of his own games is something that's apparently interested him over time, this is also a man who passed up the opportunity of directing Bayonetta 2 in favour of Wonderful 101, the attraction of the latter being that it was something very new, and he champions new ideas and new gameplay constantly. I think it's highly unlikely he genuinely wants to revisit DMC (see his old girlfriend analogy), but if he did, I'm pretty sure he'd tear it down and start over.

And even if he did, would still be better than DmC.

So, Capcom, do it.

Ok here's a Wikipedia list of video game reboots.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Video_game_reboots
If my original Comment was so off base then please, go through this list and point out how many have reverted to their source material. If there's anything missing from this list that's a reboot and not a spinoff or side game feel free to point that out as well.

Then either admit I have a completely valid point And my original comment is completely 100 percent spot on or just stop replying to my posts.

Jawmuncher

Theres always a chance of anything coming back but looking at capcom I wouldn't get hopes up. They have killed game series for less in the past.

Dahbomb

People are missing the bigger picture here.

I am not asking that Capcom get Kamiya on board to make a DMC5. That's a pipe dream. I am asking that fans make Capcom aware that they still want more from the series and what type of direction they want from it. I don't want Capcom to think the series has lost its fans or that they have turned indifferent towards the series.

Ok here's a Wikipedia list of video game reboots.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Video_game_reboots
If my original Comment was so off base then please, go through this list and point out how many have reverted to their source material. If there's anything missing from this list that's a reboot and not a spinoff or side game feel free to point that out as well.

Then either admit I have a completely valid point And my original comment is completely 100 percent spot on or just stop replying to my posts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doom_4 might fit the bill.
"and will feature gameplay more akin to the original Doom games rather than the horror styled gameplay of Doom 3."
"It's not a sequel to Doom 3, but it's not a reboot either. Doom 3 was sort of a reboot. It's a little bit different than those."

And the 3DS version of Shinobi was much more akin to the Genesis versions than the PS2 versions.

Jawmuncher

People are missing the bigger picture here.

I am not asking that Capcom get Kamiya on board to make a DMC5. That's a pipe dream. I am asking that fans make Capcom aware that they still want more from the series and what type of direction they want from it. I don't want Capcom to think the series has lost its fans or that they have turned indifferent towards the series.

The big point to bring though is how out of touch capcom is with fans as of late.
-No Retail AA5
-DmC happening at all
-Everything the megaman fans have gone through (They have been quite vocal and his appearance in SSBB doesnt even count for much since NIntendo is doing all the work there)

That's just to name a few.
Unless capcom japan turns a new leaf fan output has effectively been put at 0.

ZenTzen

people are better of asking DMC5 be made by itsuno seeing has he expressed the desire to make it recently, and frankly thats the guy i want making it, preferably with proper budget and development time

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doom_4 might fit the bill.
"and will feature gameplay more akin to the original Doom games rather than the horror styled gameplay of Doom 3."
"It's not a sequel to Doom 3, but it's not a reboot either. Doom 3 was sort of a reboot. It's a little bit different than those."

And the 3DS version of Shinobi was much more akin to the Genesis versions than the PS2 versions.

I don't think that really counts but it's interesting nonetheless. Honestly when I made my original comment I wasn't even thinking about the gameplay aspect. I was completely 100 percent referring to capcom bringing back the old Dante and picking up the story where dmc4 left off. In the world of video game reboots, it really would be unprecedented for them to do that. I mean, after dmc4 if you had asked me if they would continue the series with that universe and characters I would have said yes, in all likelyhood. After a 'gritty reboot' though? Not a chance in hell. It's dmc2 or some other weird reboot or nothing at all folks.

Top Bottom