• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kamiya on Devil May Cry 5 : "I'm ready, ask Capcom/Kobayashi"

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
There's a big enough difference that deserves to be acknowledged. It's like saying why distinguish between racing sims and arcadey racing games.

Not really. Because those games have very distinct differences and are made for two different audiences with very little overlap.

Action games are all made for more or less the same audience, or at the very least there's alot of overlap between all the different categories we make up.(Platinum's games alone are all VASTLY different from one another, but they're all targeted towards their core fanbase)

and the differences aren't distinct at all. In fact I'd argue alot of them are made up based on ignorance and misconceptions.(Anarchy being labeled a "brawler" despite having more "combo and style" potential than MGR, a "character action game".)

but again, whatever.

Also

I hate the phrase "character action game" that's also been popularized on here.

What a goddamn meaningless term.

They're all action games! Why the hell are we dividing a niche genre into even more narrow categories??

NEOGAF!!!

"action games" is about as descriptive as "RPG" these days.

Yep. This isn't a gaf problem. The industry and fans are just pretty shit at naming genres in general. Arbitrary sub-genres especially.
I've always been a fan of made up genres.

"High Speed Robot Action"

"Tactical Espionage Action"

I think the concept art for 101 said "Mass Hero Action" or something.

In the end they're all just action games lol. It just sounds a bit more descriptive and cool!

Those aren't attempts at naming genres as much as they are attempts at defining the focus of the game.

wait

Bayo

MadWorld
Anarchy
Revengeance
Vanquish
TW101

I only count two. MadWorld and Anarchy are /brawlers/, Vanquish was an awful shootbang/action demon baby, and I've yet to play TW101.

TW101 is some next gen character action that most people cant handle. Maybe in a few years people will come around.... when they get an itch to try something a little different than what they are used to.

Silky

Banned
What is the distinction?

I think that outside of Vanquish and maybe Anarchy Reigns, all of their games have been in the same genre (W101 is definitely whatever "character action" is, I guess), and I don't really have a problem with that since they're pretty good at what they do. Does anyone really want to see them spending their time on a RPG or something?

Brawler = Fight Multiple Enemies in one screen, pick up different environmental objects to use against enemies, different powerups to protect you from enemies, limited respawns/lives, minibosses and bosses. Think Final Fight, Streets of Rage. MadWorld and Anarchy are brawlers.

The fuck am I reading? I know some people completely misunderstood the game and played it like a cover shooter, but how on earth is it awful?

Shooter with stellar traversal mechanics but gun mechanics/shooting so terrible it's like shooting a pea-gun through a gallery. No weight, no oomph, etc. focused entirely on getting around the map than the actual shooting. Should've stayed an action game all the way. Not to mention the story is more boring than what Platnium is used to.

Play TW101.

And Vanquish was a great shootbang/action demon baby.

And I don't need RPGs or sim anything from Platinum. Plenty of other devs out there making that stuff.

Play MGR.

I don't own a Wii-U. TW101 will be my first Wii purchase because IKWT (In Kamiya We Trust.)

Vanquish was aaaaaassssssss

I really want to play MGR, but I'm not supporting Konami for a while. I'll probably borrow it from a friend. Not a single penny from me.

When you can do moves like this

sweet-baby6bljy.gif

I think it counts

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I'm all for more descriptions. No more throwing Final Fantasy 6, Baldur's Gate 2, Kingdom Hearts 2, and Mass Effect 2 under the generic "RPG" banner.

Retro_ in the minority, as always

I'm more for people using language to describe games and communicate with each other. "Kingdom Hearts is an RPG where you...." "Mass Effect 2 is an RPG where you can..."

But that's too hard I guess. Let's make up more phrases and just let people decide for themselves what they mean and how the game plays.

Final Fantasy 6, Etrian Odyssey and Shin Megami Tensei are turn based RPGs. Kingdom Hearts, Mass Effect 2 and Ys 7 are Action RPGs. Problem solved.

Not att all, since most games are character action games.

Mario technically is a character action game, Halo is a character action game. By proxy of you playing a character and doing actions that harm other objects.

At least shooter and Platformer describe to some degree to something in the game.

Action games, litterally mean jack shit.

Wha....

I'm going to bed

Brawler = Fight Multiple Enemies in one screen, pick up different environmental objects to use against enemies, different powerups to protect you from enemies, limited respawns/lives, minibosses and bosses. Think Final Fight, Streets of Rage. MadWorld and Anarchy are brawlers.

The only thing there that doesn't describe Bayonetta is limited lives.

Coincidentally, it's also the only thing there that doesn't describe Anarchy Reigns

Zalman

It's nice to be optimistic, but it's never going to happen. Bayonetta and Bayonetta 2 are the closest you're going to another Kamiya DMC.
Yeah, this. Given Capcom's current situation, it probably won't happen. If you want a Kamiya DMC, get Bayonetta 1 and 2.

Almost all of those qualities are present in games commonly referred to as "character action" games too. Bayonetta and Wonderful 101 even have limited-use weapons just like arcade beat-em-ups, too (and then there are arcade beat-em-ups that don't have weapons like that, like Battle Circuit). I don't think there is any meaningful distinction.

Wha....

I'm going to bed

Whenever I hear the phrase "character action", it makes me think of the phrase "that person is a real character", so it makes me think of over-the-top protagonists like Dante, Gene, and Bayonetta. I don't have any idea where that descriptor came from in the first place though.

Village

Whenever I hear the phrase "character action", it makes me think of the phrase "that person is a real character", so it makes me think of over-the-top protagonists like Dante, Gene, and Bayonetta. I don't have any idea where that descriptor came from in the first place though.

Thats even more vague. There are so many of those in many genres.

Mr. X

Not really. Because those games have very distinct differences and are made for two different audiences with very little overlap.

Action games are all made for more or less the same audience, or at the very least there's alot of overlap between all the different categories we make up.(Platinum's games alone are all VASTLY different from one another, but they're all targeted towards their core fanbase)

and the differences aren't distinct at all. In fact I'd argue alot of them are made up based on ignorance and misconceptions.(Anarchy being labeled a "brawler" despite having more "combo and style" potential than MGR, a "character action game".)

but again, whatever.

The difference matter. God of War and DMC are targeted at way different preferences and what people want out of an action game. These aren't even little nuances that make them different like Virtua Fighter vs Tekken, these are like 3D vs 2D fighters in terms of differences. God of War has more in common with Uncharted than DMC.

Dahbomb

God of War has way more in common with a DMC than a Uncharted. Its not even close.

GoW has skills to purchase and upgrade, it has combo based combat system, it has air combos, it has old school style bosses, it has mobs of enemies that drop a specific upgrade currency, it has a fixed weapon system, bigger focus on melee vs long ranged combat, no stealth/cover. All of this is more in line with a DMC than an Uncharted. Even the camera perspective is more like a DMC than an Uncharted.

The only things that GoW has in common with Uncharted in that it has big set pieces and it's made by Sony.

The difference matter. God of War and DMC are targeted at way different preferences and what people want out of an action game. These aren't even little nuances that make them different like Virtua Fighter vs Tekken, these are like 3D vs 2D fighters in terms of differences. God of War has more in common with Uncharted than DMC.

I don't know about that. God of War might be kind of simple combat-wise compared to the Devil May Cry games, but if you look at how you actually interact with your enemies in those games, they are still way closer to DMC than Uncharted. I don't think "going for mass appeal" is enough to change a game's genre.

Dahbomb

They even have the red orbs = money, green orbs = health thing. Jaffe was pretty clear about his influences.
Jaffe even said he was influenced by DMC.

Whatever genre GoW is, it's in the same genre as DMC and in a different genre from Uncharted. Unless you want to put all these games under an action umbrella. Uncharted is more of a third person shooter.

Honestly? I'd rather have Itsuno doing it than Kamiya, and I fucking love Kamiya. But I want Kamiya to keep making amazing new IPs instead of being trapped doing sequels.

Itsuno, on the other hand, should be trapped doing DMC sequels, because his new IP (Dragon's Dogma) was inferior in comparison. *blows kiss at u if u don't like this post*

Itsuno knows what he's doing, so we wouldn't need Kamiya. Besides, I'd be more interested to see Kamiya's new original ideas. Edit: basically what he said ^.
Final Fantasy 6, Etrian Odyssey and Shin Megami Tensei are turn based RPGs. Kingdom Hearts, Mass Effect 2 and Ys 7 are Action RPGs. Problem solved.
Eternal Sonata is a turn based action RPG, problem reinstated.

Silky

Banned
What did Konami do wrong (lately)?

-Silent Hill HD being shit
-ZOE HD being shit.
-Silent hill Downpour and Book of Memories being shit
-YGO: 5Ds DD 2012 being shit
-indefinitely shelving the SH franchise because they don't know what the fuck to do with the game
-Harmony of Despair being only playable by spending literally double of wha you paid for
-Neverdead being terrible
-Basically milking and withering away the MGS and Castlevania franchises into intolerable pieces of shit with it's unnecessary remakes/rehashes being released multiple times.
-They fucking killed Hudson.

They're just releasing shit, after shit, after shit. And killed Hudson. Fuuuuuuck Konami.

Gaf will crucify me, but DMC (Ninja Theory) 2 please. Not interested in the old franchise.

Then maybe you should get off at the next stop!

outta-here.gif

All Capcom needs to do is go the Poochie route and say Donte died on the way back to his home planet, then pretend he never existed. LOL!

Mr. X

I don't know about that. God of War might be kind of simple combat-wise compared to the Devil May Cry games, but if you look at how you actually interact with your enemies in those games, they are still way closer to DMC than Uncharted. I don't think "going for mass appeal" is enough to change a game's genre.

If you think God of War combat is closer to DMCs than a shooting gallery or the pacing of GoW isn't similar to Uncharted, that's fine.

Sorry, I didn't realize that 'rebranding is permanent' is what you meant when you were talking about common sense and logic. I thought would actually give me some reasons and logic, not just some random conjecture you personally believe to be true. I'm not even sure what you're getting at with the term 'rebrand'--why are you looking at it like some kind of permanent, irrefutable change? It doesn't seem so different from any other spin-off or side-series, which Capcom in particular has a history of doing.

DMC is a classic Capcom franchise. Making one new game based on that legacy doesn't forever block off new games based on the original series from being made. Whether it will happen or not is another story; but laughing at the idea of a DMC5 and calling people discussing it "sad" is stupid. Go away with that shit.
Ok i guess if you consider dmc to be a spinoff and not a reboot than yeah I can see why you'd be hoping for a return to old Dante and his story/universe. It is a reboot though, and franchises historically stay that way once they've been rebooted. I guess years and years of historical precedent may not seem like common sense to you but what are ya gonna do.

I dunno man. I guess if someone told me they were hopeful that Tim burton would someday make another batman movie with Michael Keaton reprising his role as batman id find that pretty sad too. Then if they got all uppity about it and asked me to 'prove' it would never happen and call the Nolan films a spinoff I'd probably look at them funny, try not to make eye contact and back away slowly.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Because I have common sense and basic reasoning. Once a video game series gets rebooted it doesn't go back to the old. That's not how rebranding works. Once something's been rebranded it either becomes successful or it dies in its current form. The only product I know of that defies this rule is coca cola with the new coke debacle. I will eat my shoes if devil may cry 5 is announced with old school Dante. I know how you feel though, I'm still waiting for evil dead 4 :(

Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands says otherwise...

Check and mate.

Mr. X

Ok i guess if you consider dmc to be a spinoff and not a reboot than yeah I can see why you'd be hoping for a return to old Dante and his story/universe. It is a reboot though, and franchises historically stay that way once they've been rebooted. I guess years and years of historical precedent may not seem like common sense to you but what are ya gonna do.

I dunno man. I guess if someone told me they were hopeful that Tim burton would someday make another batman movie with Michael Keaton reprising his role as batman id find that pretty sad too. Then if they got all uppity about it and asked me to 'prove' it would never happen and call the Nolan films a spinoff I'd probably look at them funny, try not to make eye contact and back away slowly.

I guess Marvel doesn't have like 3 different Spider-Man comics going at once?

DmC is the Bomberman: Act Zero of the Devil May Cry franchise.

Check and mate.
Already addressed that as it is not a sequel but a weird 'interquel' that was probably released to cash in with the sands of time film. not to mention the sales of dmc is a drop in the bucket compared to the prince of Persia series but yeah, I have to admit I had no idea forgotten sands was in the same universe as sands of time, which i already said. I'll ask again, any other examples of this? I guess I could counter with all the various other games and films that's have been rebooted never to return to their original vision but I really don't think I need to do that.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Already addressed that as it is not a sequel but a weird 'interquel' that was probably released to cash in with the sands of time film. not to mention the sales of dmc is a drop in the bucket compared to the prince of Persia series but yeah, I have to admit I had no idea forgotten sands was in the same universe as sands of time, which i already said. I'll ask again, any other examples of this? I guess I could counter with all the various other games and films that's have been rebooted never to return to their original vision but I really don't think I need to do that.

You don't need to counter because I don't think that it proves anything.

There's already been an example disproving your assertion. Someone has provided a hole in your argument, allegedly ironclad in logic. That's really all that matters.

Mortal Kombat is another example.

Mr. X

Welp, he's right, I saw the Reboot Rule Book and says you're forever barred from going back to the original once you reboot.

Clawww

Dude, it's like, Mega Man X didn't kill off the idea of regular Mega Man. Or any of the other Mega Man spinoffs. I guess your view of it kind of makes sense if you're making absolutely terrible analogies involving Tim Burton's Batman, though.

Why are you comparing video games to movies then? Because it's convenient?

But it's so easy to win arguments when I make up all the rules!

I'm ok DMC 5 so long as they bring Langdon, Bosch and Southworth back. I'd also be ok with DmC2, I really don't get the hate that game gets.

You don't need to counter because I don't think that it proves anything.

There's already been an example disproving your assertion. Someone has provided a hole in your argument, allegedly ironclad in logic. That's really all that matters.

Mortal Kombat is another example.
How is mortal kombat an example? Isn't the most recent game a reboot?

Ok i give up. Sure, it's possible that dmc will be ignored and devil may cry 5 with the original mechanics, designers, characters and story will come out. I wouldn't hold your breath though.

Dude, it's like, Mega Man X didn't kill off the idea of regular Mega Man. Or any of the other Mega Man spinoffs. I guess your view of it kind of makes sense if you're making absolutely terrible analogies involving Tim Burton's Batman, though.
Mega man x is part of the same canon as regular mega man series. Besides , who said anything about spinoff killing a main series? Not me.

Darmik

I'm fully expecting to see

"Enough of Devil May Cry idiots"

On Kamiya's twitter very, very soon. If he hasn't done so all ready.

Skilletor

Ok i give up. Sure, it's possible that dmc will be ignored and devil may cry 5 with the original mechanics, designers, characters and story will come out. I wouldn't hold your breath though.

For what it's worth, I think the odds of a new DMC or DmC are about as good as a new Megaman. Or Capcom collaborating with Platinum games. Or BoF6 being any good.

It was a reboot of sorts, but more accurately a return to roots- in story, design, and gameplay. The 3D Mortal Kombats could be considered a "reboot" as well.
No really, mortal kombat was never retconned until the most recent game. How does that prove me wrong again?? This is starting to get silly. I'm not trying to squash anybodies hopes and dreams here but seriously other than the prince of Persia game where is the precedent for a rebooted game series going back to its roots storywise. What would they even call that, a 'deboot'

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

There are other trains of logic that you can use besides a catch-all "reboots always stick," and they are far stronger. Sure, I'm being an optimist. I love the series and would like nothing more than DMC to come back. It remains a possibility at this time.

All I'm saying is that your overly dismissive position is rife with flaws.

No really, mortal kombat was never retconned until the most recent game. How does that prove me wrong again?? This is starting to get silly. I'm not trying to squash anybodies hopes and dreams here but seriously other than the prince of Persia game where is the precedent for a rebooted game series going back to its roots storywise. What would they even call that, a 'deboot'

It was, canonically, a literal reboot a la time travel, but unless you're completely out of the loop on the series, you'd recognize that Mortal Kombat 9 was very much a return to aesthetics, character design, story, 2D gameplay, tone... basically everything that DMC fans are asking for in DMC5.

You also decided to ignore Megaman that someone posted before.

I'm fully expecting to see

"Enough of Devil May Cry idiots"

On Kamiya's twitter very, very soon. If he hasn't done so all ready.
Yup guy is a troll getting you guys all worked up for laughs. Again, kind of sad that so many people will cling to this false hope, although I can understand why. It's nice to want things.

Dahbomb

PoP did a reboot then went back to a more traditional PoP.

Interquel? That's the first time I am hearing about something like that.

Honestly Capcom can reboot DMC again if they want for all I care as long as I get the mechanics, the lock on, the characters and the genre pushing combat. Either that or they probably need to do a Sparda game.

Megaman.

Now stop being a terrible poster.

Top Bottom