• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kamiya Teases Bayonetta 2 News This Week, Inaba Says You Were Trolled

StuBurns

Banned
Ezalc said:
I don't want Capcom's grubby hands anywhere near my Platinum Games.
They could farm something out without being involved in development, they greenlight much higher budget games than Sega of late.

They did a lot with what they were given, but Bayo shows clear signs of a game constraint by it's budget.

Momo

Banned
TreIII said:
Capcom will just as soon as fold completely and/or be dragged into hell itself, before it would even relish the notion of giving somebody else a chance to make money off of something they own! :lol

And it's sad, especially for the case of something like Viewtiful Joe and Breath of Fire, which Capcom will likely NEVER EVER return to...
On this point. Has any company every bought an IP from another company? (I mean while both companies are still alive and healthy, not buying up a dead company for their IP). The only thing that pops into my mind is the creator of the Nekketsu series buying the IP back and putting out some DS games (my memory on this is foggy though)

Ezalc

TreIII said:
Capcom will just as soon as fold completely and/or be dragged into hell itself, before it would even relish the notion of giving somebody else a chance to make money off of something they own! :lol

And it's sad, especially for the case of something like Viewtiful Joe and Breath of Fire, which Capcom will likely NEVER EVER return to...

Well Capcom is already on a downward slope if you look at their games as of late so...

StuBurns said:
They could farm something out without being involved in development, they greenlight much higher budget games than Sega of late.

They did a lot with what they were given, but Bayo shows clear signs of a game constraint by it's budget.

It don't have enough trust in Capcom to pull off anything remotely good even if they just funded a project and had literally no involvement with it. Besides considering I really don't like Capcom I wouldn't want them to profit from something made by Platinum Games. Sure we could get some big budget awesome PG game goodness but the profit Capcom would get would probably go towards destroying another franchise. No thanks.

Himself said:
I'm having sex with the next person I see.
Himself
(Today, 11:29 AM)
Reply | Quote

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I figured Kamiya was stepping away from action games for a while

I guess Bayonetta did alot better than he anticipated when he made that comment.

I'm not exactly hungry for a sequel so soon, but if this is real I will play it and probably enjoy it.

It'll be cool to see how platinum refines the mechanics.

Please be the case!
vTvoV.gif

FireCloud

I enjoyed Bayonetta on the PS3. I would buy a sequel on the PS3 or the Vita day 1.

But until it is officially announced I'm not ready to board the hype train just yet -- the potential for disappointment is just too great.

SimonM7

How do you even make a sequel to Bayonetta? Apart from like.. remove the QTE stuff, tweak the bike bit a little and re-release a perfect thing.

StuBurns

Banned
SimonM7 said:
How do you even make a sequel to Bayonetta? Apart from like.. remove the QTE stuff, tweak the bike bit a little and re-release a perfect thing.
By tweak you mean remove two thirds, and all three thirds of the missile bit right? Replace repeated bosses, remove post-level mini game crap, fully animate cutscenes etc etc.

MalDances.gif

Himself said:
I'm having sex with the next person I see.

Its called something else, cause I doubt they would agree to it. No offense

AAK said:
Please have a new main character.

PJX said:

Had to agree
thDBZ-Nutshot.gif

906961814_d2a217e354_o.gif

To the person that said fix the controls... Did you play the game with a properly working controller and did you know how to play the game correctly as well? Please explain the poor controls in the version of the game you received.

TreIII

Momo said:
On this point. Has any company every bought an IP from another company? (I mean while both companies are still alive and healthy, not buying up a dead company for their IP). The only thing that pops into my mind is the creator of the Nekketsu series buying the IP back and putting out some DS games (my memory on this is foggy though)

Wouldn't count. Technos Japan was already long dead by the time Million (made up of a number of ex-Technos staffers and founder) bought up the Kunio-kun brand and released River City Ransom EX and other such games years ago.

Anyway, if somebody actually had such an example to list, that'd be interesting to read...

SimonM7 said:
Apart from what you and StuBurns have mentioned:
-Give the Shoot button something more useful to do (some equivalent to Styles, perhaps?)
-a little more just-frame stuff - not in the sense of punishing people for getting it wrong, but more rewards for people who get it right
-more playable characters
-even more weapon variety

Really, Bayonetta's core combat gameplay is an incredibly well-realized vision of the game's intent, and the controller is used about as fully as it can possibly be; WITH THE EXCEPTION OF the Shoot button. I mentioned that to Kamiya a long time ago and he agreed that he might look at new ways to use that in the future (even though it's nice to hold it down and watch Bayonetta walk around while shooting).

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
SimonM7 said:

Remove chain dodging and make witch time somewhat more challenging to trigger(as is the reward is so high for almost no real risk or effort)

Design content around dodge offset. Cool mechanic that ends up being completely unnecessary against passive AI of common enemy types.

Give weapons unique movesets. Just about every weapon uses the same chains with very little active variance.

and like you said get rid of the QTEs or anything that stops you from pressing buttons during combat sequences

allow button mapping/custom config

I'm sure better players than I could produce even longer lists of criticisms

Famassu

StuBurns said:
Replace repeated bosses
The battles against bosses after the first confrontations were different enough, what's the big problem? Fighting that one boss the first time and then again in the elevator shaft was a completely different experience.

remove post-level mini game crap
You could skip them if you sucked at playing them. A non-issue, really.

fully animate cutscenes etc etc.
Why? The more action-filled cutscenes were fully animated, the rest were just people talking, don't really see how they would make the experience any better even if they were fully animated. They were kinda like comic book panels, which I think was a decent way of taking the more slow-paced story stuff forward. And it's a good way of saving in the budget for a game genre that doesn't really sell gangbusters, so they can use that money in more important stuff (like, say, polishing gameplay).

Retro_ said:
Remove chain dodging and make witch time somewhat more challenging to trigger(as is the reward is so high for almost no real risk or effort)
This isn't really a problem, given that dodging (and Witch Time) windows shrink progressively over the course of the game and in the higher difficulties. And chain dodging definitely isn't a problem unless you're playing as Jeanne.

Momo

Banned
TreIII said:
Wouldn't count. Technos Japan was already long dead by the time Million (made up of a number of ex-Technos staffers and founder) bought up the Kunio-kun brand and released River City Ransom EX and other such games years ago.

Anyway, if somebody actually had such an example to list, that'd be interesting to read...
My memory was foggy it seems. I think this is interesting enough for a new thread, we'll only derail in here.

Up the enemy variety and up the difficulty on the "normal" setting. I prefer a game like Bayonetta being inherently hard- not just hard when trying to get the highest score for each stage, which, from that perspective, attempting so makes a lot games very difficult.

Also, reduce the cut-scene time by at least half- Bayonetta pushed the limits for me for how much "quirky/eccentric Japan-isms" I can take in a game. I prefer how the newer Ninja Gaiden games have done it- let me finish the whole stage nearly uninterrupted, and give a cut-scene pre- and/or post-boss to provide a little rest from the massacring of the unfortunate henchmen ninjas.

Emitan

Fimbulvetr said:
You can just skip that and the game will just give you a bunch of halos based on the number of Couture Bullets you have.
Wait, what? You can just skip it and trade bullets for halos? I played through the game last week and didn't notice. But then again I didn't even know there was a chapter select until someone told me.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
badcrumble said:
This isn't really a problem, given that dodging (and Witch Time) windows shrink progressively over the course of the game and in the higher difficulties. And chain dodging definitely isn't a problem unless you're playing as Jeanne.

Was it a case of the windows getting smaller?

I just thought it changed from every dodge triggering WT to only certain moves from certain enemies as the game progressed(like you only trigger WT vs Jeane from dodging her wicked weaves)

but the timing was still really lenient and the reward still high

Anteater

Something Wicked said:
Up the enemy variety and up the difficulty on the "normal" setting. I prefer a game like Bayonetta being inherently hard- not just hard when trying to get the highest score for each stage, which, from that perspective, attempting so makes a lot games very difficult.

Also, reduce the cut-scene time by at least half-

Yea, the first playthrough was really bad for me because of how fast the enemies dies in each verses, it's pretty much like 1minute of playtime and then 5minutes of cutscenes, it was terrible :lol, I know you could skip the cutscenes which I did for multiple playthroughs, but it would be nice if they could make better and shorter ones like god hand.

Billychu said:
Wait, what? You can just skip it and trade bullets for halos? I played through the game last week and didn't notice. But then again I didn't even know there was a chapter select until someone told me.

Just press B(Circle on PS3) when the mini-game starts.

Retro_ said:

I just thought it changed from every dodge triggering WT to only certain moves from certain enemies as the game progressed(like you only trigger WT vs Jeane from dodging her wicked weaves)

I think he's just referring to the faster enemies.

Emphasize Dodge Offset more, please. I wouldn't mind Witch Time being restricted to Perfect Dodges.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
Sounds great, I wonder what type of budget they'll have for this one, as well as if the cinematics will be stagnant, lol. That was probably the only downfall of the game, of course they had budget issues.

Reminds me of DOA:D who also had a budget to respect.

But since both games were successful, I guess the cut-scenes are about to become static.

Emitan

Fimbulvetr said:
Just press Circle when the mini-game starts.
BeYdU.png

EDIT: What is dodge offset? Is that when your timing isn't perfect and the game slows down a bit without going into Witch Time?

HYDE

Banned
Coxy said:
so cal it Angel Arms or Devil Fist or something no-one should give a shit about the brand name if they get to enjoy a new iteration of the game

How 'bout just God Fist.

TreIII

SMT said:
Sounds great, I wonder what type of budget they'll have for this one, as well as if the cinematics will be stagnant, lol. That was probably the only downfall of the game, of course they had budget issues.

Reminds me of DOA:D who also had a budget to respect.

But since both games were successful, I guess the cut-scenes are about to become static.

Well, if the OTHER part of that TGS rumor does play out (Bayonetta CG movie???), I'd like to think that as a sign that Sega is willing to put a bit more bank behind Bayonetta. Not too much to hopefully put pressure on the brand, but enough so that it can just do more to flourish.

Billychu said:
What is dodge offset? Is that when your timing isn't perfect and the game slows down a bit without going into Witch Time?

You know how in combo based action games whenever you dodge in the middle of a combo you have to start the combo all over again?

Dodge Offset is an ability that allows you to continue a combo you've started after dodging.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Billychu said:
BeYdU.png

EDIT: What is dodge offset? Is that when your timing isn't perfect and the game slows down a bit without going into Witch Time?

Dodge offset is when you start a combo, dodge, and then continue the combo. If you're doing the combo punch punch kick, you can press punch, press punch and hold, dodge, then release punch and press kick, and it will finish your combo after the dodge. People love it but it's not really a necessary skill on normal difficulty. I guess it always rewards you in points, though.

HYDE

Banned
_dementia said:
As long as the sequel doesn't have any awful, retarded Hang-On and Space Harrier homage stages, I'm there.

What about Shinobi ninja star stages? Or Sonic ring collecting stages? ;)

Duffyside

Banned
So, I was wondering after the recent Devil May Cry love-fest thread, considering the way so many people feel about Bayonetta, are there any vids that you guys often link to to show "Yo. THIS is why you should love this game?" Specifically ones that show off the game's complex-yet-simple rewarding, amazing combat?

Riposte

hey_it's_that_dog said:
Dodge offset is when you start a combo, dodge, and then continue the combo. If you're doing the combo punch punch kick, you can press punch, press punch and hold, dodge, then release punch and press kick, and it will finish your combo after the dodge. People love it but it's not really a necessary skill on normal difficulty. I guess it always rewards you in points, though.

You know you've done it right if (with pistols) Bayonetta is shooting while dodging. Which is makes it even more awesome, btw.

Famassu

Retro_ said:

but the timing was still really lenient and the reward still high
If you have a problem with dodging being too easy, just use counter-attacks? They require very precise timing.

duffyside said:
So, I was wondering after the recent Devil May Cry love-fest thread, considering the way so many people feel about Bayonetta, are there any vids that you guys often link to to show "Yo. THIS is why you should love this game?" Specifically ones that show off the game's complex-yet-simple rewarding, amazing combat?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdQAHbS9c44

TreIII

hey_it's_that_dog said:

Sure, it wasn't required for Normal, but I think that was part of the charm. By the time you got to the higher difficulties/challenges (much less started playing with the other characters), you were EXPECTED to know what you were doing with it and integrate it into your overall gameplay strategy.

I mean, if you were able to, say, start playing with
King Zero
and actually get decently far in the game without relying on Dodge Offset? Big ups to you, because I couldn't very well see living long without an adequate means to control the crowds and not die
in two hits
! :lol

Top Bottom